[Mod] SnowSong, the EPIC Sound Pack [snowsong]

texmex
GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: tacotexmex

[Mod] SnowSong, the EPIC Sound Pack [snowsong]

by texmex » Post

For over a year I've been using Sn0w's sounds from her SnowSong sound pack in my game. I couldn't share it because of the license but thanks to the recent community effort resulting in a proper and good licensing of the material, now I can.

SnowSong Image
— The EPIC Sound Pack

Welcome to the end result of years of painstaking sound engineering and hundreds of hours of game play testing.

Supported mods: default, carts, doors, tnt

Download | Source
Last edited by texmex on Mon Jul 01, 2019 20:45, edited 3 times in total.

FreeGamers
GitHub: is proprietary I use NotABug

Re: [Mod] SnowSong, the EPIC Sound Pack [snowsong]

by FreeGamers » Post

Similar discussion about this going on here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=22735

I downloaded the pack from the author and found that there are some neat sounds in here. I'm not sure how to override registers in Minetest yet. I'll keep an eye on this and see what you can do with it. I'll probably be doing something similar or modifying some mods to use sounds from this. Good luck.
FreeGamers.org has moved to MeseCraft.net | FreeGamers on this forum is now MeseCraft

texmex

by texmex » Post

Not sure what you mean. This mod enables the SnowSong sounds by simply activating the mod. No further action required.

Let’s cooperate then! If you’ve any mod requests then just state it here or even better, send a PR or post a list of sound file names. The mod’s sound files simply takes the names of the original ones, thus overriding them.

Some mods that should get support later:
- Mobs Redo
- xDecor
- 3D Armor
- Farming Redo (?)

FreeGamers

by FreeGamers » Post

I see, so Minetest will load these sounds and they will automatically override default sounds as long as the snowsong mod is set to true in the world.mt file? I was a bit confused at first as the init file was blank, I just figured the mod was so WIP that it was in a early concept stage, which I guess it is, but the empty init file threw me off.

I'd be happy to help, I need to get more into the habit of sending pull requests / commits. I'm a bit now to the concept of git and need to watch a intro video to really understand it. I've only ever sent one PR/merge or whatever its called.

I typically just mod the files in my server from nano and terminal and adjust them to my liking. I've been anticipating getting my personal server to a state I'm happy with and then sharing my work and the work I do to the mods I've used. I'd like to eventually host a repo with all the mods/code my server runs. I'll try to help where I can.
FreeGamers.org has moved to MeseCraft.net | FreeGamers on this forum is now MeseCraft

texmex

by texmex » Post

Yeah, anything with a filename can be overridden with a new file by the same name, textures and models too. Aha, I should probably put a comment i init.lua.

Don't worry about PRs, you'll get the hang of it. And if you got ideas on what mod sound to be overridden with a fitting SnowSong sound, just write it down and we'll sort it out.

FreeGamers

by FreeGamers » Post

I've been using the source Snowsound pack to customize quite a few things in mods to great effect. The SFX are really nice and its a great set for this engine.

I'm considering dropping it into default in the fashion that you've created this thread for. How has your experience with it been? Now that I understand what this does, and after digging through a lot of the effects... Ah screw it, I'll just drop it in and test it now. It looks promising.

well, sounds promising*

FreeGamers

by FreeGamers » Post

Wow the footstep sound effects are incredible. Really improves the spatial perception of moving entities. It reminds me of playing Thief I & II . All the different material footsteps are clear too.

texmex

by texmex » Post

I know, it’s such an inprovement. I can never go back.

Did you find use for sounds for mods other then the ones currently supported?

DrFrankenstone
GitHub: treer

by DrFrankenstone » Post

Any plans to make use of the music?

FreeGamers

by FreeGamers » Post

@texmex,

So far I've used the anvil sound to overwrite the anvil mod sound effect. I've used the XP level up sound for ToolRanks level up sound. I've also used a bunch of SFX for mob sound effects. Did you mean did I find any additional uses for overwrites for the default sounds?
DrFrankenstone wrote:Any plans to make use of the music?
I might add some to my server. I need to listen to them a bit more and I'll probably plug them into the mpd mod if they're good ambient songs. Same goes for the ambient cave effects and such. I'll let tex answer if he wants to put music into his pack though.

texmex

by texmex » Post

Which anvil mod? I can add support for it in my pack. mobs_redo should be supoorted as well.

If music is to be supported it needs a music mod to latch on to. But I rather keep music out of this package in order to not blow up the size of it. A separate package with music is reasonable, but all music mods are all pretty bad as no one is yet able to detect biomes properly. I like the bgm mod though, for general ambience.

DrFrankenstone
GitHub: treer

by DrFrankenstone » Post

texmex wrote:all music mods are all pretty bad as no one is yet able to detect biomes properly.
Interesting.

MT5 has made detecting biomes easy, perhaps it's time for a new music mod codebase.

texmex

by texmex » Post

DrFrankenstone wrote:
texmex wrote:all music mods are all pretty bad as no one is yet able to detect biomes properly.
Interesting.

MT5 has made detecting biomes easy, perhaps it's time for a new music mod codebase.
Yes please, it’s begging to be made. I did a code sketch of such a mod once but I was worse at Lua back then so it didn’t pan out. My idea was to associate each music/ambience track with a definition made up by y-min, y-max, biome(s), player health, time of day, node submersion (ie water) and the like, all to be able to layer music and ambience in more varying combinations.

This combined with the new sound pitch feature can make pretty small-sized sound files as they may be pitched up on creation but pitched back down on playback.

FreeGamers

by FreeGamers » Post

@Dr.F, that would definitely be helpful. I'm using mpd right now. Its a fork of "ambience" that plays music to all players in a server at the same time. Something more dynamic would be interesting and helpful.

@TxMx, I'm using the standalone anvil mod by sokomine extracted from cottages. I've been doing alot of mob work with these files and most of the farm animals in my server have these effects now. There are quite a few in mobs redo and mobs_mc that could use these. I've made a few custom mobs from them as well. Feel free to stop by and check them out. Its still WIP as I've been trying to add harder difficult mobs deeper underground. Right now most of the SFX are in use by surface mobs in grasslands, the server spawns most players in a forest near a beach and grasslands.

Another good source for sound assets is FreeDoom, a free asset pack meant to be used by the liberated doom engine source code in place of the copyrighted assets owned by id/bethesda.
https://github.com/freedoom/freedoom I've combined these with some of the stuff "d00med" did to make a hellish filled nether and some other stuff.