somewhat terraria-ish Tool Modifiers [tool_modifiers] [v 0.3]

davidthecreator
GitHub: daviddoesminetest
In-game: DavidDoesMinetest

somewhat terraria-ish Tool Modifiers [tool_modifiers] [v 0.3]

by davidthecreator » Post

With this mod installed, every time you craft a tool there's a 50% chance it will have some sort of modifier applied to it... kinda like in terraria...

the modifier might either be a good one and boost some stat(s) of your tool...

or it might be a bad one and reduce some stat(s) of your tool...

so... good luck, next time you craft some tools...

License: CC-BY-SA 3.0
MT version: 5.0.0
Depends: None

Supports:
v0.1 - all tools from all mods that have the regular (snappy, choppy, cracky, crumbly) groupcaps with [1], [2] and [3]
v0.2 - any possible groupcap with any level from any mod.
v0.3 - Supports equippable_accessories mod (equippable_accessories v0.2 and future relases)
Attachments
tool_modifiers v0.3.zip
(2.74 KiB) Downloaded 61 times
tool_modifiers V0.2.zip
(1.56 KiB) Downloaded 37 times
c_t_m.zip
(1.89 KiB) Downloaded 110 times
Last edited by davidthecreator on Wed Feb 03, 2021 19:28, edited 5 times in total.

FreeGamers
GitHub: is proprietary I use NotABug

Re: somewhat terraria-ish Crafted Tool Modifiers [c_t_m] [v

by FreeGamers » Post

I think i'll give this a try. Sounds interesting.
FreeGamers.org has moved to MeseCraft.net | FreeGamers on this forum is now MeseCraft

FreeGamers

by FreeGamers » Post

It doesn't seem to work along side ToolRanks sadly, unless its just not working for me. I've crafted a lot of stone picks and mese picks and didn't get a modifier after crafting from materials in both creative and non-creative. I like the concept though. It could get people to craft tools more often for better modifiers and consume more ores. Toolranks does its own modifiers too depending on the level of the tool so they might conflict or stack to make very OP tools.
Last edited by FreeGamers on Fri Aug 23, 2019 15:28, edited 1 time in total.
FreeGamers.org has moved to MeseCraft.net | FreeGamers on this forum is now MeseCraft

davidthecreator

jeremyweston wrote:It doesn't seem to work along side ToolRanks sadly, unless its just not working for me. I've crafted a lot of stone picks and mese picks and didn't get a modifier after crafting from materials in both creative and non-creative. I like the concept though. It could get people to craft tools more often for better modifiers and consume more ores. Toolranks does its own modifiers too depending on the level of the tool so they might conflict or stack too make very OP tools.
YEP... seems like item descriptions do conflict with ToolRanks...

but the modifiers themselves still seem to work, even with ToolRanks...

ShadMOrdre

by ShadMOrdre » Post

So I conducted an experiment.

I put the toolranks code and this mods code in a single mod, with this mods code running before the toolranks code. Essentially, this ensures that c_t_m runs before toolranks, setting the node description before toolranks.

This is what I get.

Crafting

The result

And just awesomeness.
Attachments
screenshot_20190820_203316.jpg
screenshot_20190820_203316.jpg (146.77 KiB) Viewed 959 times
screenshot_20190820_203307.jpg
screenshot_20190820_203307.jpg (146.12 KiB) Viewed 959 times
screenshot_20190820_203152.jpg
screenshot_20190820_203152.jpg (186.88 KiB) Viewed 959 times

ThorfinnS
GitHub: ThorfinnS

by ThorfinnS » Post

So basically you put a soft dependency on c_t_m into toolranks' mod.conf or depends.txt or whatever? Or was combining them into a single mod necessary? If the latter, care to put it up on git?

Thanks!

Astrobe

by Astrobe » Post

The modifiers are not kept when a tool is bought from SmallJoker's Exchange shop. It's probably not an issue with ctm, more an issue with how the shop works. Might be the case for other trade mods too.

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

ShadMOrdre wrote:And just awesomeness.
Which mod adds this sidebar to creative?
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

texmex
GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: tacotexmex

by texmex » Post

Excellent way to bring variation into a game. Thanks!

FreeGamers

by FreeGamers » Post

I'm tempted to give this another try! It still looks like a fun concept. Nice update, ShadMOrdre.

texmex
GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: tacotexmex

by texmex » Post

rubenwardy wrote:Which mod adds this sidebar to creative?
smart_sfinv by bell007.

Btw, get this mod on Github asap =)

FreeGamers

by FreeGamers » Post

Can someone share a version of this mod that works alongside toolranks please?

davidthecreator

FreeGamers wrote:Can someone share a version of this mod that works alongside toolranks please?
Noone brought it back from the area 51 raid yet.

ShadMOrdre

by ShadMOrdre » Post

Because you asked, and because I did it....

Enjoy!

SOURCE and DOWNLOAD: lib_trm

I chose a separate name so as not to conflict with either of the others. However, the built in toolranks here uses the toolranks namespace, so should fit seemlessly.

David,

You made this. It's awesome. Are you willing to make modifiers for armor also. You should only have to attack the armor group = fleshy and the groups for the armor that affect player physics and such. Should be easy enough for you, and will just add to the awesomeness that you've already given us.

Shad

davidthecreator

ShadMOrdre wrote:Because you asked, and because I did it....

Enjoy!

SOURCE and DOWNLOAD: lib_trm

I chose a separate name so as not to conflict with either of the others. However, the built in toolranks here uses the toolranks namespace, so should fit seemlessly.

David,

You made this. It's awesome. Are you willing to make modifiers for armor also. You should only have to attack the armor group = fleshy and the groups for the armor that affect player physics and such. Should be easy enough for you, and will just add to the awesomeness that you've already given us.

Shad
No promises to succeed or even try

But there's a chance ...

FreeGamers

by FreeGamers » Post

Thanks for sharing your work, lib_ShadMOrdre. I'd agree that adding attributes to armors would be a nice addition too.

Thanks to David too, this seems like a very fun concept. I'm going to install it again and let the players on Sara's Simple Survival Server try it out.

davidthecreator

Tryed adding it for armors as a quick test...

And it seems like it might not even be possible, because armors don't have "tool capabilities" and attempt to change the groups in the same way the mod changes tool capabilities, didn't seem to work... So IDK if it's even possible to change item groups through item meta...

ShadMOrdre

by ShadMOrdre » Post

David,

Armor has tool caps, so toolranks is able to rank armor.

For you, I would use an additional if statement, searching not for tool_caps, but for armor_group. Once you are selecting armor_groups, you can then create a separate set of modifiers for the groups (specifically, I would modify armor_heal=0, armor_use=###, physics_speed=-#.##, physics_gravity=#.##), and also potentially, the damage_groups, so that, for example, a normal bronze chestplate could have a stronger cracky rating, thus requiring a better tool to hit that player.

I started something this morning, but my heads not in it yet. It's my son's first day of school, first of month bills, and other mods that I'm trying to square up to get posted.

I'll try again this evening, when things are more settled for me.

I might want to ask you some questions regarding the math part, since again, my heads not here yet. ;P

Shad

davidthecreator

@ShadMOrdre

It's night time in my time zone now and I gotta go to school tomorrow... So I ain't gonna be able to help in any way or do anything about this mod at all "today" anymore...

But I might try tomorrow or so.

One thing for sure though, I probably ain't gonna mess with armor "flashy" defense... As full diamond set already has 85% fleshy protection and adding any meaningful amount of extra fleshy protection would make diamond armor impenetrable to any attack damage...

ShadMOrdre

by ShadMOrdre » Post

I would agree that the default set of armor is grossly unbalanced. Making armor modifiers for diamod armor absolutely does not make any sense. Also, neither would a wood pick that is stronger than a stone pick. However, this is an inherent defect with the tool, not with this mod.

I have been cobbling together a tools mod, with custom tools, that does not include diamond or mese as part of the default set. While available, I personally don't like them, as they ruin the "theme", and are just too unbalanced.

My tools mod focuses on real world armor types, eliminating stone altogether, since no one has ever used a rock as a brestplate....

I'm also adding cotton, wool, bone, more acurate wood, and going through the metals, to emulate real world evolution of human technology. To me, this theme fits better.

With a more aptly balanced set of tools and armor, the modifiers can really add to depth of play, while maintaining balance within themselves, so as to limit, or altogether remove, the "cheat" factor.

While using the modified armor with MTG, or anything 'default', might not work, having the ability for game devs to add this type of mechanic and depth is A-OK with me.

Sleep tight.

Shad

ShadMOrdre

by ShadMOrdre » Post

Folks,

Please re download my lib_trm if you have done so already.

The first version will not even work, it will crash. This is now fixed, and posted to github, so again,

If you have already downloaded my lib_trm today only, please redownload it.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Shad

FreeGamers

by FreeGamers » Post

Shad,

You didn't add the sound effects from toolranks to the hybrid version. The code still references it and tries to play the event.

in file "lib_trm_tool_ranks.lua"
line 99 the sound file "toolranks_levelup" is called upon but not present.

I'm also not seeing any effect actually being applied, nor levels / times used being applied to descriptions?

ShadMOrdre

by ShadMOrdre » Post

Again, sorry for the hiccups. Thanks for the testing. Sound file is on github, ready to download.

I'd like to keep this dependency free, if possible. This might change when I look at armor. IMHO, default, moreores, and others should enable this internally. This mod, and others like it, should provide functionality alone, without any hard or soft coded references to specific mods.

As such, I made a 'support' mod, to include the support included with toolranks mod. It currently supports default and moreores. If in demand, I'll add others, namely ethereal, farming, and 3d_armor.

lib_trm: Source and Download: lib_trm
lib_trm_support: Source and Download: lib_trm_support

Please let me know if this solves the issue, and again, thanks for testing. Sorry for the bumps.

Shad

R-One

by R-One » Post

ShadMOrdre wrote: lib_trm: Source and Download: lib_trm
lib_trm_support: Source and Download: lib_trm_support

Please let me know if this solves the issue, and again, thanks for testing. Sorry for the bumps.
Hi, there is a security alert, there is a need to change:

Code: Select all

dofile(lib_trm_support.path_mod.."lib_trm_support_default.lua")
to

Code: Select all

dofile(lib_trm_support.path_mod.."/lib_trm_support_default.lua")
Otherwise there is a weird thing in a tool changes level, the text of the effect disappears.

And when you repair a tool by combining it with another tool, it's the level that goes back to level 1, and as soon as you use the tool, it goes back to the level it was before repair and the effect text disappears.

It's a bit confusing.

FreeGamers

by FreeGamers » Post

And when you repair a tool by combining it with another tool, it's the level that goes back to level 1, and as soon as you use the tool, it goes back to the level it was before repair and the effect text disappears.

It's a bit confusing.
I think that is how standard toolranks mod works? I haven't used the crafting method for tool repair in awhile since I'm using a mod for the crafting system. You have to put the too you're keeping in the center otherwise I believe it gets replaced by a fresh tool?