Music, Much needed music

UnsaidSleet4223

Music, Much needed music

by UnsaidSleet4223 » Post

I have been playing minetest for a few days now and loving it, but it gets kind of dull without any music. If someone (like me) were to compose some music would there be a possibility of it getting added. I do not want to take the time to compose a few songs if they don't have a chance of being added, but if the have a chance I will definitely try to compose some original music for the game.

Edit: I am working on music right now but it may take a while i have recently switched computer and os so there is still a bit of learning to be done. and can i get some suggestions for style i was thinking peaceful but i can do pop and a few other styles too.
Last edited by UnsaidSleet4223 on Mon Aug 12, 2019 00:26, edited 2 times in total.

TumeniNodes
GitHub: TumeniNodes
IRC: tumeninodes
In-game: TumeniNodes

Re: Music, Much needed music

by TumeniNodes » Post

Perhaps, if you were to share some original work of your own here, and also open an issue https://github.com/minetest/minetest_game/issues with some samples.

Ambience sound has been discussed many times in the past.
Some people like it, some people do not.
I think it would be best, if it were able to be executed so music changes with moods in the environment.
Day/Night, Underground, Dungeons (just simple/subtle scores to help set the mood of various surroundings)
and then music which can go with weather, etc..

No one can promise anything to be added, it depends on a lot of things.
Even if it were not to be added, I can tell you that there are plenty of people who look for such mods to add.
And sometimes, mods which have been lurking around for some time, have been added to 'master' later down the road.
And even if you are not a coder, I am sure if you are providing decent scores, someone will be happy to help you with setting it all to work as a mod.
A Wonderful World

Red_King_Cyclops

by Red_King_Cyclops » Post

This mod has some music: viewtopic.php?t=2807
Currently working on new mods.

benrob0329
GitHub: Benrob0329
IRC: benrob0329
In-game: benrob03

by benrob0329 » Post

Music for MTG (the default game shipped with Minetest) will probably work best in a mod since it's meant to be fairly minimal. However, other games would be more likely accept a music contribution directly (depending on the game of course) as they tend to want to be a more complete package.

Hume2
GitHub: Hume2
In-game: Hume2

by Hume2 » Post

I'd like to see a framework which plays players musics randomly. And the music should be audible only by the player it is being played to. There could be a function get_music_name(player) which would return the name of music which should be played to the player at that moment and situation.
If you lack the reality, go on a trip or find a job.

Astrobe

by Astrobe » Post

I agree with TumeniNodes and Hume2, you don't just want music. Otherwise, you would just launch your favorite music player on the side - MT is light enough on resources to do just that.

What you want is dynamic music - music that changes with the context; environment, combat, etc. I believe it is possible to do a basic dynamic music system relatively easily, but you'll soon want something more refined that performs fade in/fade out effects.

With servers you have the problem that you don't want huge music files (because download time). One solution would be to turn to 8bits music style (or anything that works well with a low sampling rate or compresses well). Another solution could be to use several simple tracks and compose them in different ways (like textures in MT) in order to create variety.

Eran

by Eran » Post

Astrobe wrote: What you want is dynamic music - music that changes with the context; environment, combat, etc. I believe it is possible to do a basic dynamic music system relatively easily, but you'll soon want something more refined that performs fade in/fade out effects.
Minetest Defense has dynamic music. There is a function that determines how intense the situation is based on stuff like the amount of monsters and the player's average health. Based on this information a 24 second track is choosen. These tracks are basically the same song with different instrumentation so they blend fairly well. If the intensity level changes a short transition is played in addition.
Adapting the code for other games shouldn't be too hard.

https://github.com/Kalabasa/minetest_de ... /music.lua

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Just use MPD.
https://content.minetest.net/packages/orwell/mpd/

And convince game authors to use it.

But there's a huge catch: The more music you add to a game, the longer the startup time will be. It can make a huge difference. Minetest doesn't seem very smart about loading files or keeping already loaded files in memory when you return to the main menu.

Astrobe

by Astrobe » Post

Eran wrote: Minetest Defense has dynamic music. There is a function that determines how intense the situation is based on stuff like the amount of monsters and the player's average health. Based on this information a 24 second track is choosen. These tracks are basically the same song with different instrumentation so they blend fairly well. If the intensity level changes a short transition is played in addition.
Adapting the code for other games shouldn't be too hard.

https://github.com/Kalabasa/minetest_de ... /music.lua
Yes, something like this but per-player (with player volume controls) and with an API to let other mods signal context changes. Perhaps client mods could provide their own music, and the music mod's job could be to arbitrate the requests (that would be tagged as "ambiance", "reward/happy", "creepy/caution", "danger/fight", "critical") and handle the transitions.

Astrobe

by Astrobe » Post

Astrobe wrote: With servers you have the problem that you don't want huge music files (because download time). One solution would be to turn to 8bits music style (or anything that works well with a low sampling rate or compresses well). Another solution could be to use several simple tracks and compose them in different ways (like textures in MT) in order to create variety.
Actually, there's a much simpler solution: one file one note one instrument, similar to MIDI.

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Post

> If someone (like me) were to compose some music would there be a possibility of it getting added. I do not want to take the time to compose a few songs if they don't have a chance of being added,

There's no way to know if it might be added until it can be listened to. So it's better to submit already-finished music.

Music in MT is a very difficult subject due to taste in music being so personal and specific.
Music only has a place in games and mods, not in the engine.
I think MTG isn't suitable for music because it is so characterless, general and universal. It is also more of a modding base than a complete game, so music is best provided by an optional mod to give people choices. We're also trying to move attention away from it and to new games.
So to be clear, music probably won't be accepted into MTG.

So i suggest that you submit music to optional mods or games other than MTG.
MTG is only one game, it is not 'Minetest', so it's important to not focus on it.

runs

by runs » Post

I think that music should mean few music, not a lot of music tracks. The Minecraft main theme is iconic and relaxing.

I would like one iconic main theme for Minetest too.

https://soundimage.org/introspective/

Kalabasa
GitHub: Kalabasa
IRC: Kalabasa
In-game: Kalabasa

by Kalabasa » Post

Game music needs client-side mods or direct engine support, because game music is usually looping and time-based. It is hard to synchronize and play music across a network.
insert signature here