[Mod] stoneworks [1.2][stoneworks]

Nordal
GitHub: Nordall

Re: [Mod] stoneworks [1.2][stoneworks]

by Nordal » Post

ThorfinnS, I tried your fork, but it doesn't work.

Code: Select all

2019-08-08 21:54:38: ERROR[Main]: ModError: Failed to load and run script from /home/roland/minetest-5.0.1/bin/../mods/stoneworks/init.lua:
2019-08-08 21:54:38: ERROR[Main]: /home/roland/minetest-5.0.1/bin/../mods/stoneworks/init.lua: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
2019-08-08 21:54:38: ERROR[Main]: Check debug.txt for details.
Strange. your stoneworks fork is enabled as it should be. If I delete it, everything works fine.
If I try Tumeninodes' original, also everything's fine.
CFS - still widely unknown

ThorfinnS
GitHub: ThorfinnS

by ThorfinnS » Post

Nordal wrote:

2019-08-08 21:54:38: ERROR[Main]: /home/roland/minetest-5.0.1/bin/../mods/stoneworks/init.lua: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
2019-08-08 21:54:38: ERROR[Main]: Check debug.txt for details.
Would you translate that for me? Trying a couple of on-line translators hasn't helped much. Yeah, they all say "nicht gefunden" means "not found", but I'm not getting it. Does it say, "File or directory not found?" Does it tell you what's not found, or what line? I don't know exactly what it is that throws that error message. If I were to take a stab at it, I'd guess it means init.lua doesn't exist. Would you mind checking for that?

[EDIT]
My guess is this is it. When I rename init.lua to init2.lua, I get:

2019-08-08 17:46:57: ERROR[Main]: ModError: Failed to load and run script from C:\games\mt\mt501_2\bin\..\mods\stoneworks\init.lua:
2019-08-08 17:46:57: ERROR[Main]: C:\games\mt\mt501_2\bin\..\mods\stoneworks\init.lua: No such file or directory
2019-08-08 17:46:57: ERROR[Main]: Check debug.txt for details.
Which looks fairly close to what I think you are getting.
[/EDIT]

Also, make sure you move the old stoneworks out of the mod directory before cloning the experimental one. The new one no longer uses legacy stuff like depends.txt, (instead, it uses mod.conf) and the existence of them might be confusing it. But I'm just guessing. I don't think I've ever seen a message like that.
Last edited by ThorfinnS on Thu Aug 08, 2019 22:53, edited 2 times in total.

ThorfinnS

by ThorfinnS » Post

I can't seem to duplicate the issue. I started by downloading 5.0.1 anew, then git clone my stoneworks and addi's darkage, enable both, and it plays fine. Enable creative mode so I don't have to search all over for old red sandstone and make bricks out of it, and I'm able to craft the miniblocks, then the derivatives.

Nordal

by Nordal » Post

Would you translate that for me?
Sorry, "Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden" means "file or directory not found".
Also, make sure you move the old stoneworks out of the mod directory before cloning the experimental one.
I've done that.

It's strange to me that your stoneworks is always already enabled. Even if I uninstalled it and unpacked a "fresh" downloaded zip in the mods folder again.

Nordal

by Nordal » Post

It works now! Sometimes problems solve themselves overnight. :)

But, I'm sorry to say that, for you put a lot of energy in it, but your version is too volominous for me. It adds 17 inventory pages. You added some nice nodes, I realized. But for me it is too much to be "playable".
And I'm not playing creative mode. How can I get the miniblocks? (I use unified inventory.) I often would have to craft several other items that are necessary to craft the item I wanted.

Maybe it would be a good idea to make a settings.txt to let the user choose between miniwalls and arcs (or both of course). One thing I think is also important. To split code into several files to keep it clear. In inventory the nodes appear grouped then. If you now extend the mod, you can add just another category - choosable in settings -, and it is also grouped.

Concerning crafting I have no real solution. But may one can invent a little tools, simple to craft, like a mini-hammer, a little chisel, and this mini-hammer can be part of recipes. You can then reuse the recipes, but just with a, say, litle chisel as part of them.

Another interesting way is the pkarcs mod of PEAK:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=14541&hilit=pkarcs
To make arcs from nodes of your mod, put "pkarcs?" into your depends.txt,
and call this function in your init.lua:

if minetest.get_modpath("pkarcs") then
pkarcs.register_node("your_mod:your_nodename")
end
I'm still a modding beginner but this is what I'm thinking. Thank you, ThorfinnS, for your fast engagement!!!

ThorfinnS

by ThorfinnS » Post

Try the search bar in Unified Inventory. Typing "basalt brick" gives about half a page of nodes to choose from. Typing "mini" gives you all materials supported. It's less than a page with everything enabled.

The recipe for the mini is the simplest thing that I didn't find used anywhere else in all the 286 mods I have in my git directory -- two (stacks) of that material, anywhere in the crafting grid. If you prefer the code,

minetest.register_craft({
	type = "shapeless",
	output = mini_node.. ' 54',
	recipe = {recipeitem,recipeitem}
})
Nordal wrote:...your version is too volominous for me. It adds 17 inventory pages.
That was what Tumeninodes thought, too. The original had 24 different nodes, and I've added 11 to that, so not quite half again as big. Including the basic block and the stairs blocks added by default, it's about half a page. Per material.

You can disable cool_trees and bakedclay from the settings tab of the main menu. That trims out a lot. Enabling only the handful of nodes you chose for darkage takes you from 15 pages of stoneworks nodes to 18 pages.

For non-creative, one could easily eliminate some of them -- probably very few people have enough diamonds to make building projects out of diamond blocks. Or mese blocks, or gold blocks. There are also materials that don't tile well, good candidates for removing. Not sure exactly how to do it without an Advanced Settings page from hell, though. A separate line to disable each material seems excessive. If someone really wants mese arches, I suppose he could enable the "Incredibly rare materials" setting. But I'm not sure where to draw the line. It is possible to have enough steel blocks to make a major building, for instance. Would one leave that in the basics or not?
Nordal wrote:Another interesting way is the pkarcs mod of PEAK:
Yeah, that's what I did, though my inspiration was stoneworks which was apparently inspired by stairsplus from moreblocks. After including the optional depend in mod.conf, adding marble is just:

stoneworks.mod_support('darkage',"marble","darkage:marble",{cracky = 3, stone = 1},{'darkage_marble.png'},'Marble','',"stonelike")
[EDIT]
Some parameters not obvious. I retained the original whenever possible, even if I wouldn't have coded it that way from scratch.

The parameters are modname, internal node base name, name of material you craft arches from, groups the node has, graphic(s) of the node, description, description2(unused), soundset.

Stairsplus adds light level, too. I'd consider it, but it was not present in the base stoneworks.
[/EDIT]

ThorfinnS

by ThorfinnS » Post

Oh, and only the modname and nodename are actually required, so long as the graphic's filename is standard format, i.e., "modname_nodename.gif". It defaults to stone groups {cracky=3} and the default stone soundset if you don't specify otherwise. Description is generated as uppercase for each word, replacing underscores with spaces. I considered using wood soundset and group if the string "wood" is in the nodename somewhere. Might still do so.

mod_support("darkage","stone_brick")
mod_support("darkage:stone_brick")

both do the same thing. But if you are going to use any other parameters you have to use the first one. For now, anyway. It would be easy enough to accommodate either, I suppose. I just didn't.

ThorfinnS

by ThorfinnS » Post

One of the students decided he wanted to implement your idea of a chisel, Nordal. I don't know that its going to make a huge difference -- all that it eliminates is the microblock and the 1/3 height wall. I think. Maybe a couple others. Times however many types of blocks you want it to apply to, of course. You can already disable all the blocks like cooltrees and bakedclay and such.

After messing around with it, I realize that things like birch don't work well, texture-wise. A few others. Would it make sense to disable those (maybe by default -- if you want to work around the graphics issues, you enable them?) Basically, all the woodgrain textures would be eliminated, while more graphically consistent nodes like baked clay and darkage offer remain graphically viable.

It's a gawdawful number of options to include on the setup screen, but would you be more comfortable choosing which particular nodes were available for arches?

Thanks.

Nordal

by Nordal » Post

@ThorfinnS, I apologize that I did not answer to your post anymore. It was too much and too fast for me at that time and I was myself not sure, what I wanted. But you guessed considerable well, what I needed. Now, one year later, the result of my experimenting with stoneworks is there. It's a mixture of the chisel-idea, only that the chisel has changed into a hammer, and the pretty high number of settings options where particular "classes" of nodes are selectable. Additionally there's a table in api.lua where users can enter single nodes they want to have taken into account.

Please take this post as an indication taht I did not forget you fast and extensive help then.
I would appreciate it, if you took a look at the solution and told me your opinion.
https://github.com/Nordall/stoneworks

sangeet

by sangeet » Post

Nordal wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 02:58
@ThorfinnS, I apologize that I did not answer to your post anymore. It was too much and too fast for me at that time and I was myself not sure, what I wanted. But you guessed considerable well, what I needed. Now, one year later, the result of my experimenting with stoneworks is there. It's a mixture of the chisel-idea, only that the chisel has changed into a hammer, and the pretty high number of settings options where particular "classes" of nodes are selectable. Additionally there's a table in api.lua where users can enter single nodes they want to have taken into account.

Please take this post as an indication taht I did not forget you fast and extensive help then.
I would appreciate it, if you took a look at the solution and told me your opinion.
https://github.com/Nordall/stoneworks
don't know if you are ever going to read this, but i get this:

minetest client 5.4.1

wsor4035
GitHub: wsor4035
IRC: wsor
In-game: wsor

by wsor4035 » Post

id be willing to bet your using the original darkage, craigs out of date darkage, or another out of date darkage, the current one can be found at https://content.minetest.net/packages/addi/darkage/
j5uBLfc6NxgersvVj5D5dIsiKDkoQb0o

sangeet

by sangeet » Post

wsor4035 wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 00:55
id be willing to bet your using the original darkage, craigs out of date darkage, or another out of date darkage, the current one can be found at https://content.minetest.net/packages/addi/darkage/
true, i figured out as much. there are a few around, and i used the one which seemed to be not too old, however, there was a newer one. hope mod author actually puts a link to correct version rather then just name it.