[mod] Generic moon of Saturn [saturn_moon]

Red_King_Cyclops

[mod] Generic moon of Saturn [saturn_moon]

by Red_King_Cyclops » Post

Now on ContentDB

This mod replaces the default earthlike setting of Minetest with a generic moon of Saturn. Currently, this moon has not been named yet since I have not found a real moon of Saturn that is generic enough.

The only ores on the moon so far are the default ones and ice. Dungeons are still present, but the mossy cobblestone looks like ice.

This mod was an experiment to see the effects of changing a Minetest world into something otherworldly. This mod isn't complete enough for a normal game (for example, there is no way to get wood). At the moment there is no oxygen system.

Since this mod only uses default blocks, virtually all texture packs are supported.

Screenshots
Spoiler
ImageImageImageImageImage
Dependencies

Licensing and credit
The code is licenced under LGPL 2.1 and the textures are licenced under CC-BY-SA. This mod was made by Red_King_Cyclops, but the textures are from Minetest Saturn by Foghrye4, the skybox code is modified code taken from viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13775&hilit=skybox by emperor_genshin, and all of the ore registrations (except for the ice) are copied from default.

Download
https://content.minetest.net/packages/R ... n/download
Spoiler
Last edited by Red_King_Cyclops on Tue Sep 24, 2019 22:03, edited 8 times in total.
Currently working on new mods.

Gael de Sailly
GitHub: gaelysam
IRC: Gael-de-Sailly
In-game: Gael-de-Sailly gaelysam

Re: [mod] Generic moon of Saturn [saturn_moon]

by Gael de Sailly » Post

Interesting mod. The skybox gives a very good ambience, well done!
Spoiler
For the ores, why do you clear the ore list and redefine it? Unless you purposely want a different ore spawning scheme, there is no reason to do this. Ores and biomes are independent, so you don't need to touch them even if you override biomes. Tried to remove it and default ores actually spawn.
Just realize how bored we would be if the world was perfect.

Red_King_Cyclops

Gael de Sailly wrote:Interesting mod. The skybox gives a very good ambience, well done!
Spoiler
For the ores, why do you clear the ore list and redefine it? Unless you purposely want a different ore spawning scheme, there is no reason to do this. Ores and biomes are independent, so you don't need to touch them even if you override biomes. Tried to remove it and default ores actually spawn.
I used the skybox from Minetest Saturn because it was well made and I wanted part of Minetest Saturn to live on (the game no longer works and appears to be abandoned). I had to fix parts of the skybox.

I cleared the ore list and redefined some of the ores so that I could make sure some of the default ores would not generate (coal, diamond, and mese). Coal is organically made and could not be created on a lifeless moon, mese is fictional, and diamond found deep underground is formed by plate tectonics caused by a active core (diamond can also be formed by impact events and in space, but only on the surface or not very deep underground). But you do bring up a good point that I should deal with ores more efficiently.

EDIT: I have commented out the code that cleared the ore list.

Red_King_Cyclops

200 downloads on Content DB! Maybe I should add a monolith decoration and rename this mod to "Japetus" to celebrate.

BuckarooBanzay
GitHub: BuckarooBanzay
IRC: BuckarooBanzai
In-game: BuckarooBanzai

by BuckarooBanzay » Post

+1 for the monolith ;)
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Not active here anymore, contact me on the minetest discord, irc, lemmy or github (for programming issues)

parasite
GitHub: Parasitoid

by parasite » Post

Great! I believe that your experiment "to see the effects of changing a Minetest world into something otherworldly" can be considered successful. It also has educational values. Simple code is easy to understand and everyone can learn what to change, so that you can jump on the moon and admire the huge Saturn so close. That makes great feelings :)

But if you wanted to add more realism, you could add more type of ice: in addition to water ice (H2O), which is the hardest ice in space away from hot star (and on Saturn's satellites, it acts like a base-rock or ground), It would be nice to be able to find some areas of surface covered by carbon dioxide (CO2) ice blocks (which should lie on blocks of water ice like snow on the ground on Earth), and some deposits of nitrogen (N2) and methane (CH4) ice blocks (which should form heaps with a soft consistency reminiscent of small hills, or maybe even small mountains, resting on a ground of water ice and which can move or slide on this ice-ground, at least in some places). Water ice block should be the hardest and should need a pick, but nitrogen and methane ice could be dug also with a shovel I guess. These ice differ not only in hardness but also in color. Carbon dioxide ice should be more white, and methane more blue if I am correct.

These carbon dioxide, nitrogen and methane ices should not be too high or too wide, most of them should be submerged in water ice. (It is not a Pluto). So most of them should be embedded into water ice (which is kind of ground). And they should be there to be able to sublime and create an atmosphere when the temperature is right, as in the case of Titan. Therefore, they should not be omitted. :D

On the surface it should also be possible to find reddish areas containing a shallow layer of simple organic compounds that arise from the reaction of methane, nitrogen and carbon dioxide with the energy of cosmic rays and solar wind (that is, after bombing the ice by protons and electrons from Sun and gamma rays from deep space).

The surface should consist mainly of ice. Ice blocks (mainly water ice) should form the upper layer going down to, lets say... -100 or -300 deep. Below the ice blocks level it should be liquid water, going down to... lets say... some about -500 or -1000? And the next layer, below liquid water, could contain some kind of silicate rocks (stone blocks and stone_with_ores, caverns and so on). We can also consider a different type of geology of such objects and forget about the layer of liquid water. Then, to be more playable as a game, the top layer could be made of ice blocks from the surface to ... lets say -20. Then, below those ices, the stones and ores could be found.

Depending on the geological model, cryogenic volcanoes may also be included, rather as rare things, which should throw liquid water and it should go up really high (let say up to +300) and should freez in flight and fall down to the surface as ice blocks or particles.

Well, my imagination took me far, far away, lol. I guess no one would write such mapgen ;)

Anyway, thanks for your experiment! Great job! It is a lot of fun to run this and just walk there (with those gravel all around - it also looks great) :D

FreeGamers
GitHub: is proprietary I use NotABug

by FreeGamers » Post

Can this be plugged into a server with other biomes and default or does it totally override default stuff?

I was interested in using this as a planet/moon biome on my server, up in space, but i don't want to break other stuff.
FreeGamers.org has moved to MeseCraft.net | FreeGamers on this forum is now MeseCraft

Red_King_Cyclops

parasite wrote:Great! I believe that your experiment "to see the effects of changing a Minetest world into something otherworldly" can be considered successful. It also has educational values. Simple code is easy to understand and everyone can learn what to change, so that you can jump on the moon and admire the huge Saturn so close. That makes great feelings :)

But if you wanted to add more realism, you could add more type of ice: in addition to water ice (H2O), which is the hardest ice in space away from hot star (and on Saturn's satellites, it acts like a base-rock or ground), It would be nice to be able to find some areas of surface covered by carbon dioxide (CO2) ice blocks (which should lie on blocks of water ice like snow on the ground on Earth), and some deposits of nitrogen (N2) and methane (CH4) ice blocks (which should form heaps with a soft consistency reminiscent of small hills, or maybe even small mountains, resting on a ground of water ice and which can move or slide on this ice-ground, at least in some places). Water ice block should be the hardest and should need a pick, but nitrogen and methane ice could be dug also with a shovel I guess. These ice differ not only in hardness but also in color. Carbon dioxide ice should be more white, and methane more blue if I am correct.

These carbon dioxide, nitrogen and methane ices should not be too high or too wide, most of them should be submerged in water ice. (It is not a Pluto). So most of them should be embedded into water ice (which is kind of ground). And they should be there to be able to sublime and create an atmosphere when the temperature is right, as in the case of Titan. Therefore, they should not be omitted. :D

On the surface it should also be possible to find reddish areas containing a shallow layer of simple organic compounds that arise from the reaction of methane, nitrogen and carbon dioxide with the energy of cosmic rays and solar wind (that is, after bombing the ice by protons and electrons from Sun and gamma rays from deep space).

The surface should consist mainly of ice. Ice blocks (mainly water ice) should form the upper layer going down to, lets say... -100 or -300 deep. Below the ice blocks level it should be liquid water, going down to... lets say... some about -500 or -1000? And the next layer, below liquid water, could contain some kind of silicate rocks (stone blocks and stone_with_ores, caverns and so on). We can also consider a different type of geology of such objects and forget about the layer of liquid water. Then, to be more playable as a game, the top layer could be made of ice blocks from the surface to ... lets say -20. Then, below those ices, the stones and ores could be found.

Depending on the geological model, cryogenic volcanoes may also be included, rather as rare things, which should throw liquid water and it should go up really high (let say up to +300) and should freez in flight and fall down to the surface as ice blocks or particles.

Well, my imagination took me far, far away, lol. I guess no one would write such mapgen ;)

Anyway, thanks for your experiment! Great job! It is a lot of fun to run this and just walk there (with those gravel all around - it also looks great) :D
Your suggestions are very good and highly detailed. I'd be interested in adding them into saturn_moon or a future Enceladus mod. It's good to hear that you like the mod.

Red_King_Cyclops

jeremyweston wrote:Can this be plugged into a server with other biomes and default or does it totally override default stuff?

I was interested in using this as a planet/moon biome on my server, up in space, but i don't want to break other stuff.
Unfortunately, no. This mod overrides the default biomes and decorations and replaces it all with the saturn_moon biome. This mod does not have noise parameters of its own and relies on those of default. It also relies on default ore generation. Sorry about these issues; it would have been cool for saturn_moon to be on your server.

FreeGamers

by FreeGamers » Post

It looks well done. Thanks for the response though.
FreeGamers.org has moved to MeseCraft.net | FreeGamers on this forum is now MeseCraft

Red_King_Cyclops

In theory, saturn_moon could be updated so that it wouldn't rely on default as much and would depend on realms. I might look into this idea in a few weeks.

FreeGamers

by FreeGamers » Post

The last month or two I've been working very hard at developing a server I'm going to host 24/7 for the free gaming community.

I took some inspirations from other mods (cloudlands, space, vacuum, mars survival, planet_moon, planet_mars, otherworlds, scifi_blocks, scifi_mobs) and servers (Pandorabox) have incorporated space elements into my server. As of right now we have a vacuum in space, spacesuits, jumpdrives, meseportals, a moon planet (dimension) and mars planet. There is so much room in the Minetest world, especially the under-utilized space above the default mapgen.

If you could alter or branch the existing mod to be independent from overriding default minetest_game's biomes, I could add it into my game. I'd be interested in this for both saturn_moon, europa, maybe titan that you made. two features would be highly appreciated: having a bedrock to prevent falling through the dimension, and being able to define the Y values for the mapgen.

I can do testing for the mod too to help out. Sorry if I just wrote out too much, but I'm rather excited about the prospect of increasing the depth of the space dimensions available. I don't understand much about mapgen currently, so I wouldn't be able to help much on that front.

Red_King_Cyclops

I am interested in making layer versions of my space mods. So far I have depended on overwriting the default terrain, but I have been thinking of ways to make layers above the default surface. I have considered using realms or borrowing code from crater_mg or BuckarooBanzay's mods. Bedrock would become a dependency in layer versions of my mods.

Saturn_moon would be the easiest mod to make a layer version of. Europa_moon would have to modified significantly for your server since it currently uses up 31,000 y-levels. Titan_moon has the potential to be an amazing mod, but the textures I created are sub-optimal.

It will be a few weeks before I can start work on a saturn_moon layer version, but I will be planning for it in the meantime. Adding another space dimension up there with the moon and mars would be very cool.

FreeGamers

by FreeGamers » Post

I'm already using bedrock as a dependency for BuckarooBanzay's planet_mars. I edited his planet_moon to use bedrock:bedrock as well. I thought crater_mg looked really good when I saw it in the past.

Thanks for considering this project. I'll keep my eye open for it. I have plenty of space available in my server to add this as a layer. Also, I have plenty of stuff to mod and edit in the meantime, so please feel free to take your time if you need it. I'll be here if you come out with a release to test!

Red_King_Cyclops

I've found multidimensions by AiTechEye, and I think this mod could be a stable alternative to realms. However, dimensions are not as detailed as realms. I've made two new mods, titan_moon and io_moon, that you can check out. These mods aren't layer mods yet, but they exist to show what their locations would look like.

Red_King_Cyclops

I did some tests with multidimensions and came close to creating a saturn_moon layer, but there were too many bugs. I might do some more work on the dimension version or do some tests with realms instead.

FreeGamers

by FreeGamers » Post

OK, thanks for following up. I'll try to test these in a separate world. A lot of your planetary or moon mods look very cool. I've seen you keep yourself pretty busy with these mods. Do you have a fascination with space in general or Saturn?

Red_King_Cyclops

FreeGamers wrote:OK, thanks for following up. I'll try to test these in a separate world. A lot of your planetary or moon mods look very cool. I've seen you keep yourself pretty busy with these mods. Do you have a fascination with space in general or Saturn?
Thanks. I'm fascinated with space in general, but I've been making these mods to expand the number of space mods in Minetest. There used to be only Mars, moon, and outer space mods, but now there are some other locations.

Also, I've made the first version of the dimension version of saturn_moon, available for download here. The dimension's y-levels can be changed by editing the values of the variables "dim_y" and "dim_height" in init.lua. I'm not sure how the skybox/clouds will work with other planet mods present.

FreeGamers

by FreeGamers » Post

Thanks for this. I just remembered this conversation and returned to explore it a bit more. I've bookmarked it and I'll give it a try soon. I'm looking forward to it. I've been catching up on some afk work and been busy interacting with players and mods on my server. Thanks for releasing one of your planetary mods in this format as I can layer them for players with jumpdrive. I may give your space shuttle mod a try too. Honestly, I must have totally missed your comment because I see you posted this in June. Sorry for the delay.

I don't have any dependencies on multi-dimensions yet as the mods I've used don't require them but are still set within specific heights.