Realistic water

Extex
GitHub: Extex101
In-game: Extex

Realistic water

by Extex » Post

Is there some way to make a liquid like flowing but doesn't vanish so you can like make dams and drain lakes and stuff
Kinda like terraria but 3d
Last edited by Extex on Tue Jan 21, 2020 18:58, edited 1 time in total.
Creator of jelys_pizzaria and motorbike, and player of persistent kingdoms. RIP

neoh4x0r
GitHub: neoh4x0r

Re: Realistic water

by neoh4x0r » Post

Extex wrote:Is there some way to make a liquid like flowing but doesn't vanish so you can like make dams and drain lakes and stuff
There was one outdated mod (that was not very good, in my opinion): [Mod] Finite / Realistic Water [outdated] [waterplus] viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4401&hilit=water

However, FaceDeer created two mods that are close to what you want to do -- granted they are not perfect (at least atm).

[Mod] Dynamic liquids [dynamic_liquid]
** water behaves realistically (it will spread out to fill an area)
viewtopic.php?t=16485

[Mod] Waterworks (pipes, pumps and valves) 0.1
** allows pumping water sources from one location to another (by swapping water nodes with air or vice versa)
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=22830
Last edited by neoh4x0r on Fri Aug 16, 2019 03:19, edited 1 time in total.

Yvanhoe

by Yvanhoe » Post

neoh4x0r wrote:There was one outdated mod (that was not very good): [Mod] Finite / Realistic Water [outdated] [waterplus] viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4401&hilit=water
Wait! I did not know that one! It looks superior to the default behavior or even to dynamic_liquid where a block is basically all or nothing!

What are the flaws of that mod?

Extex

by Extex » Post

neoh4x0r wrote: There was one outdated mod (that was not very good): [Mod] Finite / Realistic Water [outdated] [waterplus] viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4401&hilit=water
That pretty much exactly what I wanted but have it connect like flowing

And move toward the deepest area to collect into

neoh4x0r
GitHub: neoh4x0r

by neoh4x0r » Post

neoh4x0r wrote: There was one outdated mod (that was not very good): [Mod] Finite / Realistic Water [outdated] [waterplus] viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4401&hilit=water
Yvanhoe wrote: Wait! I did not know that one! It looks superior to the default behavior or even to dynamic_liquid where a block is basically all or nothing!
What are the flaws of that mod?
Extex wrote: That pretty much exactly what I wanted but have it connect like flowing And move toward the deepest area to collect into
This how a similar mod worked in minecraft: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EaKUlR2kU4&hd=1

And this is how the minetest variant worked: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcMPIOO2vGc&hd=1

The minecraft version looked very seamless, but the minetest version was very choppy (the nodes jump up, or so it seems).

Also the mod has not be updated since 2016 (and has been abandoned by rubenwardy) -- and the mod remains unfinished.

(The dynamic_liquid and waterworks mod, by FaceDeer, are still in active development)

That being said, if finite water (waterplus) works for you then you might want to try to fork the github project so it can be improved and finished/polished.

Oh, and if I remember correctly, the last time I tried finite water it just messed up my world and that was a singleplayer creative world, I can only imagine what would happen if it were used on a server (as rubenwardy points out is not recommend).

Astrobe

by Astrobe » Post

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK

The code below is a potential world destroyer. Especially if your players can manipulate water source nodes; griefers will have a field day.

Code: Select all

minetest.register_abm {
	label="Convert flowing river water into river water sources",
	nodenames={"default:water_flowing"},
	interval=3, -- higher values for interval and chance will slowdown floods, giving a chance to stop them.
	chance=3,
   this is an intentional dummy line to make it fail for suckers who don't read the code they copy/paste.
	catch_up=false,
	action=function(pos, node, active_object_count, active_object_count_wider)
		local u={x=pos.x, y=pos.y-1, z=pos.z}
		local n=minetest.get_node(u).name
		local d=minetest.registered_nodes[n]
		if (d and d.walkable~=false) then minetest.set_node(pos, {name="default:water_source"}) end
	end }
In human language: change flowing water nodes into water sources if there is something solid below them. Of course this creates unstoppable floods, especially with these interval and chance parameters.

The interesting part in this dumb code is that waterfalls create lakes at their "feet" and rivers can be formed too.

It may actually be more interesting for lava; but then again if there's a way for griefers to get lava nodes, your world is almost certainly done for.

Miniontoby
GitHub: Miniontoby
IRC: Miniontoby
In-game: Miniontoby

by Miniontoby » Post

Is there a mod where when the player is in water he will goes (without walking or running) in the direction of the flowing water?
Working on mtctl ---- Check my mod "Doorbell" -- Stay safe

Extex

by Extex » Post

Yes it makes the player, items, and boats flow in the direction of the water I don't remember what it was called though