ContentDB - now with package translation support

texmex
GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: tacotexmex

Re: Content database for in-menu installer - add your things

by texmex » Post

- what if the maintainer goes awol and the mod listing confuses and misleads more than anything else
I wasn’t referring to rogue users but more how to deal with a stale but original mod competing on old merit with newer alternatives.

Imo there has to be a better way than to do endless ”_redo” type of mod naming. Perhaps actively developed mods with feature parity sometimes can be recommended on the page of the stale one, if not take its place. I’m thinking of my experience with refreshing and improving adampilz’s item_drop as an example. If his original mod was present in CDB but abandoned, I would have to come up with a new name just for the sake of it, while also ”competing” with an inferior and stale mod.

I guess I want maintained mods to take precedence somehow.

u34

by u34 » Post

Why is tronic texturepack https://content.minetest.net/packages/cHyper/tronic/ NOT public on Content database? What must I do? Sorry when wrong thread, please moderator give me a hint?!! cu cHyper

my license is FREE, did I make something wrong?

thx for reading my message!

texmex

by texmex » Post

My tp Good Morning Craft is visible in the web content browser but not in the client content browser. Not sure what’s wrong there.

u34

by u34 » Post

texmex wrote:My tp Good Morning Craft is visible in the web content browser but not in the client content browser. Not sure what’s wrong there.
Okay then it was my mistake, sorry! cu cHyper

texmex

by texmex » Post

- what if the maintainer goes awol and the mod listing confuses and misleads more than anything else
Here’s a fresh example:

How will ContentDB look a year or two down the road, when possible every other unmaintained game will get a refresh and repost by someone else than the original author? Or someone decides to do a ”Pixture Revival Redo”?

My point is that for the sake of the end user of the content CDB needs a way to deal with these sort of issues before they sprawl.
Attachments
B0005131-BE48-48C9-8B01-6882E78BBDBD.jpeg
B0005131-BE48-48C9-8B01-6882E78BBDBD.jpeg (125.16 KiB) Viewed 2068 times
Last edited by texmex on Fri Sep 13, 2019 17:03, edited 1 time in total.

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

To be fair, Pixture is not visible in Minetest 5.0.0.
I have not claimed the repository rights of the original Pixture yet. I'm not sure if I could or should. *shrug*
Version 1.0.0 is not released yet (but it's getting close!), so it's not too late for a rename or even a merger. :-)
I just posted it to make it easy for testers to download.

It probably would have been better to assume control of Pixture, but at the time of posting, I did not know whether kaadmy will ever want to pick Pixture up again. And then we'd have a nice collision and that would have been rude. :-/
Also, assuming control over the original repo is a huuuge responsibility as well. :-/

Also note that the goal of Pixture Revival is really just a revival, fix bugs, basically to make it work for MT 5.0.0. The goal was NOT to seriously extend the game feature-wise. Basically it's my way of preserving a piece of Minetest history, while still having a playable game. So that's another justification for the name. But yeah, I admit, it was only meant as a temporary name, and then it kind of stuck … I should probably discuss with kaadmy and others to clean up this little mess. It's not too late yet …

But another (possibly only theoretical) problem with a merger would be that there will no longer be a Pixture for MT 0.4 (at least not officially) … Idk how many players are able to get MT 5 yet.

Maybe pre-5.0.0 things should be hidden or at least marked in a special on the website? I know, it's not a real solution, but at least a start.

EDIT:

OK, I have a simple idea to help fixing situations like this one: Allow to mark certain things as “superceded”. This means that there is a newer iteration of the thing available and the thing is no longer developed. “Superceded” does not imply the thing itself is in any way broken, just that there's a different, improved version available that still closely resembles the original. Author endorsement might also be a criterion, but it gets difficult if the author already has vanished into a puff of smoke. “superseded” should not be used for the next thing in a game series (like, when each part of the series tells a story in an epic adventure).

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

I'm against allowing people to take over packages owned by someone else. But the ability to make packages as outdated and to recomend other packages would be good
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

texmex

by texmex » Post

Sounds good to me, rubenwardy. It’s almost like it starts to resemble the git workflow of forking. The question is who should posess those abilities.

Hamlet
IRC: H4mlet
In-game: Hamlet

by Hamlet » Post

rubenwardy wrote:I consider this beta software, there is likely to be quite a few bugs and missing features.
I'm not sure if what I've found is a bug or a missing feature: when you try to change your email address you receive this:

Code: Select all

To: myemail
Subject: Verify email address
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2019 20:21:55 +0000

This is a verification email!
That's all, the email address unchanged.

And if you try to upload an archive that isn't a .zip, the warning message uses both load and upload in the same line: e.g. "Please load upload a zip archive."
My repositories: Codeberg.org | My ContentDB's page

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Well then. So “Pixture Revival” it is, I suppose? Because the name “Pixture” is already taken?

Rubenwardy, note that I specifically said “superceded”, not “outdated”. A superseded package might still be a fully functional game. “outdated” implies “kind of broken”. The choice of words is very important here.

Pixture still works in 0.4.17, after all.

texmex

by texmex » Post

Maybe I'm repeating myself but I'd be really handy if texture packs also had support for showing soft and hard dependencies as it would show what mods were supported texture-wise.

TumeniNodes
GitHub: TumeniNodes
IRC: tumeninodes
In-game: TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

texmex wrote:Maybe I'm repeating myself but I'd be really handy if texture packs also had support for showing soft and hard dependencies as it would show what mods were supported texture-wise.
To be honest, if the mod is not enabled, it won't use the textures for it anyway.
It makes more sense for the TP creator to include a list of supported mods in the README file.
This way it will show up on the mod's page.

I want to add, it would be nice to be able to click on a project from the browse online page, and have it bring up the information on the CDB web page. Much like the behavior of the software managers for Linux distributions.
A Wonderful World

texmex

by texmex » Post

TumeniNodes wrote:This way it will show up on the mod's page.
Really? How does this work?

TumeniNodes
GitHub: TumeniNodes
IRC: tumeninodes
In-game: TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

Well, if you use a README.md file, you can list all the mods supported as a bullet list, in the same manner it lists the deps for my mod on CDB as shown https://content.minetest.net/packages/T ... es/pkarcs/

Oh... wait... now I see what you mean. Disregard
Ok, now I agree... TPs should have a section which states supported mods
A Wonderful World

Xudo
GitHub: akryukov92
In-game: Xudo

by Xudo » Post

You know, it is possible to add version to the game name. So if author of Cool Game 0.0.1 will abandon development, then his authorship could be preserved. Anyone else could be able to make Cool Game 0.0.2.
More than that, with defined version it will be possible to keep mods consistent while they depend on other mods.
Other package managers already have versioning. I keep wondering, whether you will make third package manager for lua or give up and start using some existing.

Termos

by Termos » Post

Has it been suggested yet, that installs done from the content tab would at least prompt the user to install missing hard dependencies?

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

ContentDB v1.21.0

Important changes
  • Releases are now validated to make sure they're well-formed.
  • Improved search to prioritize name over title over descriptions.
  • Added the ability to delete releases.
  • Creating a release from Git now supports submodules.
Other
  • Added API tokens (not much use yet)
  • Added automated UI tests

Hello profile reader

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

ContentDB v1.22.0

Redesigned the package page to simplify the layout (there's still quite a few issues with alignment and such, help is appreciated)

Hello profile reader

sorcerykid
GitHub: sorcerykid
In-game: Nemo

by sorcerykid » Post

WOW, that is impressive. Definitely a huge improvement. I honestly can't see anything wrong with the layout myself. It's very clean and professional looking.

My only feature suggestion would be to provide the ability to upload a custom banner (of the appropriate dimensions), rather than using one of the screenshots as a darkened background. Also having an option for a square PNG logo that could be placed immediately to the left of the title and short description. Basically I'm thinking something like how it is done on Facebook pages and subreddits.

Encouraging mod and game authors to include logos with their creations could have ancillary benefits as well, since once it gains enough traction then the in-menu installer could list the mods by their logos, which would probably make more sense from a GUI perspective than tiny screenshots. Also even the /mods commands on servers could eventually open a fancy formspec showing all of the installed mods by their logos, names, and authors. It opens a lot of possibilities for other applications.

Anyway, sorry for going a bit off on a tangent :) I just really like this new design so much!

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

That’s quite cool but the spacings marked here jumped right into my face. I’m just too easy to trigger with non-symmetrical things like that.

s.jpg
s.jpg (87.36 KiB) Viewed 2067 times

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

I'm aware of the alignment issues, it bugs me too. I even noted this in my above post:
rubenwardy wrote:(there's still quite a few issues with alignment and such, help is appreciated)
I've fixed the minetest version alignment locally, and still need to work out how to align the text in panels and alerts properly

Hello profile reader

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

rubenwardy wrote:I'm aware of the alignment issues, it bugs me too. I even noted this in my above post:
I totally did not see that.
rubenwardy wrote:and still need to work out how to align the text in panels and alerts properly
Using this as local user style aligns the “Details” table.

Code: Select all

div.card .table th,
div.card .table td {
    padding-left: 1.25rem;
}
1.25rem is the same padding as .card-header has. (You use that padding for .card-body in the other cards, too. But the card that holds the table does not use that body so the padding is missing and the 0.75rem coming from .table td are just too less in this case.)

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

ContentDB v1.23

ContentDB now has support for automatically creating releases. This can be done either by using the REST API, or by using webhooks with support for GitHub and GitLab. I decided not to use a polling approach to do this, because I wanted to keep the complexity of ContentDB low and avoid the explosion of state. The code for the webhooks is isolated, so I'm happy to accept contributions for the webhooks of other platforms.

Find out more in the documentation

Hello profile reader

PolySaken
GitHub: PolySaken-I-Am
In-game: PolySaken

by PolySaken » Post

rubenwardy wrote:

ContentDB v1.23

ContentDB now has support for automatically creating releases. This can be done either by using the REST API, or by using webhooks with support for GitHub and GitLab. I decided not to use a polling approach to do this, because I wanted to keep the complexity of ContentDB low and avoid the explosion of state. The code for the webhooks is isolated, so I'm happy to accept contributions for the webhooks of other platforms.

Find out more in the documentation

Am I right in thinking that 'New Tag' will take effect from any github release? Cause if so my update process just got cut in half.
Guidebook Lib, for in-game docs | Poly Decor, some cool blocks | Vision Lib, an all-purpose library.

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

PolySaken wrote: Am I right in thinking that 'New Tag' will take effect from any github release? Cause if so my update process just got cut in half.
Correct, a Github release will create a tag

Hello profile reader