[WIP corrected sRGB]256x256 SteamedPunk Texture-Pack

Steamed_Punk
GitHub: steamed-punk

[WIP corrected sRGB]256x256 SteamedPunk Texture-Pack

by Steamed_Punk » Post

Steamed Punk texture Pack

==========================================================================

Getting started

This is to be an on going project and has only just begun.
Everything within the main Minetest-Game has been either converted or created to have the complete set. So far these haven't been reworked for Minetest just made usable. The expert eye will see what is to be done ;-) bear with me.

Now that they have all been made useable i can now look for errors and make the final adjustments. Once these are satisfactory, i will then take them out of the WIP status and release them.

Please enjoy them for what they are so far.
Beds
Binoculars
Boats
Bones
Bucket
Butterflies
Carts
Creative
Doors
Dye
Environment
Farming
Fire
Fireflies
Flowers
Map
Screwdriver
Stairs
TNT
Vessels
Wool
Xpanes

There is an extra folder within called "bitsnpieces4u" this already contains a 256x, flattened, transparent BG png of the chest_inside contents. this can safely be deleted after download if you don't want the extra files for your textures

LICENSE - MODELS and TEXTURES:

Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International (CC BY-SA 4.0)

DOWNLOADS:
Take a look around and all downloads https://steamed-punk.github.io/
DIRECT
Steamed_Punk Texture_Pack https://github.com/Steamed-Punk/Steamed ... master.zip
Last edited by Steamed_Punk on Wed Oct 30, 2019 16:59, edited 9 times in total.
The sky is not the limit - It's my playground

durtective6
In-game: derplez or BlockFrog

Re: [WIP]256x256 SteamedPunk Texture-Pack[WIP] github

by durtective6 » Post

I love this texture pack! Everything is realistic yet holds a cartoon like feel still, maybe it's the contrast. I especially like the metal block and wood textures. I do however have some concerns about it:
-the bronze and mese shovels are round the wrong way, you hold them by the heads.
-the inside of the chest has what seems to be minecraft items from either artwork or another texture pack. Were these released under a reusable license?
-the orange and brown coral should be a full block texture with no transparency.
-the apple is tiny, it takes up a minimal amount of the item slot.
As for more opinion oriented points:
-the mese crystal, block and ore are very high contrast and appear more white than yellow.
-the iron ore sticks out a bit and doesn't blend with the surrounding rock the same way the rest of the ores do. I think it would look nicer as lumps like how you did copper and the other ores.

I'm interested to see how this pack grows. Any plans for mod support after the base game has been covered? I think this would look great with mods like technic.

Steamed_Punk

by Steamed_Punk » Post

Well i am happy you like it! :D

1) Thanks for the heads-up on the shovels, i noticed an issue with them with the others, that they had to be rotated differently to the sword. I forgot to rotate them when i came to the new textures, mese, bronze etc
2)Yes well spotted, the items you see when you open or close the chest came from minecraft, i guess i will have to redo that one after all ;)
3)I will take a look at the corals
4) The apple was intentional, i was looking for something that when on a tree it looks the right size, i do think it looks too small in the inventory though. I'll rack my brains on that one.
5) I'll go for more yellow on the Mese blocks.
6) When in minecraft i was trying for a vein of iron, it was always a hesitation. Never being public, i had no feed back. You tipped the balance, i will go back to lumps.

Usually when i create a texture it's because i cross something in game and say, yeah i'll do that. It happened recently, i came across a banana tree. So yes i will eventually do bits and pieces along the way. Unless of course enough people are interested in a particular mod then i'll possibly do a whole one.

Thanks again for the feedback, it's much appreciated.

Hugues Ross
Developer
GitHub: Df458

by Hugues Ross » Post

Steamed_Punk wrote:4) The apple was intentional, i was looking for something that when on a tree it looks the right size, i do think it looks too small in the inventory though. I'll rack my brains on that one.
No need to rack your brain too hard, you can do what RPG16 does and have two apple textures:
  • default_apple.png for the inventory image
  • default_apple_node.png (or something similar) that you use in override.txt using the selector default:apple * default_apple_node.png
Indeed, this sort of pattern can open a number of possibilities. It's also how I made the wheat/cotton seed item textures a bag of seeds without making the player plant bags in their fields

Steamed_Punk

by Steamed_Punk » Post

Hugues Ross wrote:
Steamed_Punk wrote:4) The apple was intentional, i was looking for something that when on a tree it looks the right size, i do think it looks too small in the inventory though. I'll rack my brains on that one.
No need to rack your brain too hard, you can do what RPG16 does and have two apple textures:
  • default_apple.png for the inventory image
  • default_apple_node.png (or something similar) that you use in override.txt using the selector default:apple * default_apple_node.png
Indeed, this sort of pattern can open a number of possibilities. It's also how I made the wheat/cotton seed item textures a bag of seeds without making the player plant bags in their fields
Now as a noob this is exactly the sort of hints and tips i need. Yesterday i was made aware of this because i was wielding the actual mesh and not an image to represent it, it looked stupidly big), because of the feedback i made the changes. I don't know why it didn't register in my head. Thank you, it will now ;)
I will be sure to check out this rpg16 and cotton at somepoint.

Steamed_Punk

by Steamed_Punk » Post

durtective6 wrote: -the bronze and mese shovels are round the wrong way, you hold them by the heads.
Done! You can grab the shovels from the default texture folder at github

Steamed_Punk

by Steamed_Punk » Post

durtective6 wrote: -the apple is tiny, it takes up a minimal amount of the item slot.
I have a temporary fix for this but for the moment it will only work if you have the Indian village mod installed. Sorry i don't want to force a mod, i am still learning.
Hugues Ross wrote:
Steamed_Punk wrote:4)

[*] default_apple_node.png (or something similar) that you use in override.txt using the selector default:apple * default_apple_node.png[/list]
This worked but changed everything, i still needed to keep the apple small on the tree. I feel like i could have just made the apple image bigger and replaced the default for the same result, using just one image. Unless i missed something?
On the other hand based on the https://dev.minetest.net/minetest.override_item i managed to keep the tree apple small and make the inventory and wield images bigger using two images and this code:

Code: Select all

minetest.override_item("default:apple", {
        wield_image = "default_apple_2.png",
        inventory_image = "default_apple_2.png",
    })
Now i am not sure how this works (maybe just local) because it is placed within a mod.lua file but it can still find the "default_apple_2.png" in a texture pack. This didn't work in the texture_pack override.txt. I don't know where else to place this so that people don't need to download a mod they don't want just for an apple.

I downloaded and took a look at the RPG16 TP,
Nice, a clear and crisp pack, i like the use of colors and tones. I took a look at the override.txt and two apple textures as well. Apart from the slight offset in height i couldn't see the difference from the tree apple and the wielded. This made it hard for me to see the changes in game, i am guessing it's to do with having it correctly placed when wielded. Nice TP though ;)

Steamed_Punk

by Steamed_Punk » Post

durtective6 wrote: -the bronze and mese shovels are round the wrong way, you hold them by the heads.
-the inside of the chest has what seems to be minecraft items from either artwork or another texture pack. Were these released under a reusable license?
-the orange and brown coral should be a full block texture with no transparency.
-the apple is tiny, it takes up a minimal amount of the item slot.
-the mese crystal, block and ore are very high contrast and appear more white than yellow.
-the iron ore sticks out a bit and doesn't blend with the surrounding rock the same way the rest of the ores do. I think it would look nicer as lumps like how you did copper and the other ores.
All done so far and added to github, still working on the apple as mentioned before!

The shovels have been rotated,
the chest_inside now has only images from the default minetest game folder.
the corals are done,
I have update the 7 main mese blocks but not the tools,
The iron mineral has also been redone.

Let me know what you think and if you spotted anything else.

Hugues Ross
Developer

by Hugues Ross » Post

Yeah, the apple textures were to keep the texture nicely centered in the inventory but still have it properly hang from leaf nodes.

As for your question, if you make the image bigger and leave it at that, then the apple will look the right size everywhere except the tree. The 2-texture trick I described above lets you keep the small version only for when it's on a tree, and keep it big everywhere else.

Modding is another option, but the problem is that people will have to install and enable the mod and texture pack separately. It will give you more options (like easily replacing models and audio or picking alternate drawtypes that work well with your textures), but it will be harder for users to set up. Depending on your goals, that trade-off could be interesting as well. It's up to you!

Hugues Ross
Developer

by Hugues Ross » Post

Actually, I stand corrected. Looks like the wield model uses the overridden texture.
Sorry :(

Steamed_Punk

by Steamed_Punk » Post

Hugues Ross wrote:Actually, I stand corrected. Looks like the wield model uses the overridden texture.
Sorry :(
No problem, i have already made a fair few mistakes and will probably make a ton more :-D

Steamed_Punk

by Steamed_Punk » Post

Updated:

Added a few more, here's the list so far

Binoculars
Boats
Bones (look odd, rotation)
Bucket
Butterflies
Dye (Not upsized, still 32x)
Environment
Fire (almost)
Vessels

Please enjoy and report anything odd.

Steamed_Punk

by Steamed_Punk » Post

Updated:

Added even more, here's the list so far

Binoculars
Boats
Bucket
Butterflies
Doors (Did my best for glass and obsidian)
Dye (Upsized, now new and 256x)
Environment
Fire (almost)
Map
Screwdriver
Vessels
Wool

Steamed_Punk

by Steamed_Punk » Post

Updated:

Added farming, here's the list so far

Binoculars
Boats
Bucket
Butterflies
Environment
Farming
Fire (almost)
Map
Screwdriver
Vessels
Wool

Steamed_Punk

by Steamed_Punk » Post

LICENSE UPDATE

Now Share-Alike

Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International (CC BY-SA 4.0)

Steamed_Punk

by Steamed_Punk » Post

Updated:

Added flowers, here's the list so far

Binoculars
Boats
Bucket
Butterflies
Environment
Farming
Fire (almost)
Flowers
Map
Screwdriver
Vessels
Wool

Steamed_Punk

by Steamed_Punk » Post

Updated:

Added beds, creative, fireflies and stairs here's the list so far

Beds
Binoculars
Boats
Bucket
Butterflies
Creative
Environment
Farming
Fire (almost)
Fireflies
Flowers
Map
Screwdriver
Stairs
Vessels
Wool

All that's left to do is carts, TNT and xpanes. From there i can go over them as a final check and correct anything you or I find before final release and moving on to something else.

Steamed_Punk

by Steamed_Punk » Post

Updated: COMPLETED

Added carts, TNT and xpanes, the fire folder has also a new fire and fire_ani textures, and the bones rotation have been corrected.

Beds
Binoculars
Boats
Bones (added second side image)
Bucket
Butterflies
Carts
Creative
Environment
Farming
Fire (New fire and Animated)
Fireflies
Flowers
Map
Screwdriver
Stairs
TNT
Vessels
Wool
Xpanes

That's all folks! It took a while but i think i got everything and missed nothing except the new lava, this is because I'm not sure yet how to attack this one.
This will remain a W.I.P for the time being because now i have to check everything, make a few adjustments and see if i did miss anything.

Please enjoy and report anything

Steamed_Punk

Re: [WIP corrected sRGB]256x256 SteamedPunk Texture-Pack

by Steamed_Punk » Post

Update: CORRECTED

Because of a transition between .PSD to .XCF somewhere along the lines i found myself with a multitude of error warnings on my texture pack and mod.
As below:

WARNING[Main]: Irrlicht: PNG warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile

These have all been corrected.