How to "advertise" Minetest better ?

Steamed_Punk
GitHub: steamed-punk

Re: How to "advertise" Minetest better ?

by Steamed_Punk » Post

benrob0329 wrote:You said that anyone not "the dishonest, untrustworthy thieves" would be fine and covered by an NC license. We pointed out that this is very much untrue, and now we're shunning you? No, I didn't want to dissect your entire paragraph and reply to every part, I had a very specific thing I wanted to correct to avoid misinformation about the lack of consequences NC licenses have. Your post is right above mine, context is easy to obtain.

Not allowing use by people who accept donations, schools, Wikipedia, make ad-revenue, or otherwise recieve compensation (including server owners) is not just an "idealogical movement", its real consequences to choosing a NC license. If you're ok with that, go ahead. Just know that it does more than lighly discourage lawful-evil thieves who for some reason care about the license of what they're stealing.

Yes, these are really legally binding. As the creator of something (at least in the USA) you automatically obtain copyright of it. Any license you then apply is as legally binding as a big ol' EULA most companies provide, within the enforcability of the specific license (WTFPL is most likely not enforcible, for example).
Firstly i apologise i missed your initial reply, if i hadn't i would have replied with:

Ah i hadn't thought of this, my only thoughts at first where to simply protect the users because of that license already in place on some of my images, which are obviously easily replaceable.

End

Until Parasite mentioned clearly what i read behind RubenWardy's link, which also made sense i didn't even realize that it was more than to prevent people outright reusing stuff for profit. What's worse is this in fact has absolutely nothing to do with why i put that license in place.

As for your post stating i am being shunned just made me realize that maybe my initial thoughts on the community are a bit wonky. Do it our way or we will gang up on you and scare you away, and all this in a thread about advertising minetest WTF

Even the very first line on that paragraph should have been enough for anyone with the slightest bit of common sense to see what i actually think.
I quote myself, what a joke.
I know all this is open source and based on 'freedom' and free stuff. Even if i agree this should not feel like it's an obligation.
Not once have i said that i would do this for further projects and i clearly explained why this time round. Now if this is how you are going to treat newcomers who are only just grasping the ropes and learning how the community works, only putting up WIP's until everything is in order then i guess there are bigger issues here than just ganging up on me for a half a sentence. All sounds a bit off to me.

Is this the sort off thing you are going to advertise to bring and keep people here?

And finally what's a community that is shunning me expecting me to do now?
The sky is not the limit - It's my playground

benrob0329
GitHub: Benrob0329
IRC: benrob0329
In-game: benrob03

by benrob0329 » Post

We pointed out that this is very much untrue, and now we're shunning you?
It was a question, we aren't shunning you (wording could have been improved). I'm sorry if I came off too hot-headed, but your post did somewhat indirectly call those who take issue with NC licensed content theives. I didn't expect 2-3 other people to also jump in, or I might have not posted. My post was not to say you shouldn't, but rather that if you do to fully understand who all you are affecting.

You are free to license your work however you want, but posting it here or on the ContentDB may require some freedoms to be upheld (ND licenses aren't allowed, for example). I think that's enough offtopic here though, we can start a new thread about whether or not NC licensed are acceptible (gonna say it now, it depends) if we wish to go down that road.

Steamed_Punk

by Steamed_Punk » Post

I missed the question mark :-( my response would have been different. But maybe that was what was needed!? :D

Yes it went right off topic for no real reason. In what i said it was just a thought and i am obviously right in so much that people felt obliged to inform me that it should be done another way, that is what i was trying to prevent and it kicked me in the face, but it proved my point. People shouldn't feel obliged to do anything and once again i only placed it to protect people here in the immediate, i was thinking of the community before anyone else.

Most of what i wrote are opinions based on a very limited knowledge of Minetest, i was just participating. But as we all know opinions are like buttholes, everyone has one a nobody cares. I will get round to my own licensing eventually.

parasite
GitHub: Parasitoid

by parasite » Post

On this off topic that the discussion is slowly heading to...
Dear Steamed_Punk, me, like the colleague above, also wanted to refer to only one small, almost out of context thing: that mentioned license. It looks so simple, so attractive at first glance: it gives the freedom to the user, and it also - if apply to minetest - would cut off those nasty clones with ads & payments (and who knows what else) (but only in theory, becouse in practice, these "bandits" from <random_name_diffrent_than_"mine">craft will not care about any minetest license anyway).... but... there is always some "but"... But the reality is much more funny then we all can imagine... and I just wanted to say only that, nothing more. I am pretty sure that all the previous speakers did not mean anything bad either, especially they didn't try to attack you in any way.

About advertising the minetest and youtube...
And by the way, your earlier post, that one with the clear text structure and bold headers, have some nice and interesting impressions and opinions. Your comments, for example about how you got interested in minetest, can be valuable here. I personally think that we should have more videos showing the gameplay on the servers, and such recordings are very few, they are also very childish and in most cases very outdated. Such outdated youtube video do not show modern minetest with new mods, with deep undeground full of many ores and evil mobs, with nice decor items, trains that can take the player on a nice trip, from town to town through the different biomes... and we can`t forget about that modern minetest has also other realms. Oh well, there is so many to show, but not as simple tutorial or review.

As far as I know, many MC players laugh and scoff that minetest has old-school-not-nice graphics, no mobs, no challenges. To counteract such slander, the video must show the full dynamics of the game, with dangers and making progress, mobs fighting or breeding and more advanced challenges, with interacion with other players, and be able to show the diversity of games (you got as many games as there are minetest servers... oh, that is not true, but is close to the truth). And if someone complain that we all just trying to replicate the default MC, we can show the Inside The Box gameplay with some funny commets and NodeCore gameplay (wonderful fun, did you try this game? There is no forum topic, but you can find it in repistory. This game also forces you to thinking and can overheat your brain circuits lol)...

I think that we lack some often updated dynamic blog-like-channel on which youtuber - minetest maniac - would have great and intelligent fun on servers, showing something more than just tutorial or simple walk (Those videos need to show that the gameplay is kickin'). Well, that is just my opinion.

Steamed_Punk

by Steamed_Punk » Post

parasite wrote:Dear Steamed_Punk, me, like the colleague above, also wanted to refer to only one small, almost out of context thing: that mentioned license. It looks so simple, so attractive at first glance: it gives the freedom to the user, and it also - if apply to minetest - would cut off those nasty clones with ads & payments (and who knows what else) (but only in theory, becouse in practice, these "bandits" from <random_name_diffrent_than_"mine">craft will not care about any minetest license anyway).... but... there is always some "but"... But the reality is much more funny then we all can imagine... and I just wanted to say only that, nothing more. I am pretty sure that all the previous speakers did not mean anything bad either, especially they didn't try to attack you in any way.

And by the way, your earlier post, that one with the clear text structure and bold headers, have some nice and interesting impressions and opinions. Your comments, for example about how you got interested in minetest, can be valuable here. I personally think that we should have more videos showing the gameplay on the servers, and such recordings are very few, they are also very childish and in most cases very outdated. Such outdated youtube video do not show modern minetest with new mods, with deep undeground full of many ores and evil mobs, with nice decor items, other realms and so on.

As far as I know, many MC players laugh and scoff that minetest has old-school-not-nice graphics, no mobs, no challenges. To counteract such slander, the video must show the full dynamics of the game, with dangers and fun, mobs and challenges, with interacion with other players, and be able to show the diversity of games (you got as many games as there are minetest servers... oh, that is not true, but is close to the truth). And if someone complain that we do not have any interesting game, except the clone of default MC, we got Inside The Box, NodeCore (wonderful fun, did you try this game? There is no forum topic, but you cna find it in repistory)...

I think that we lack some often updated dynamic blog-like-channel on which youtuber - minetest maniac - would have great and intelligent fun on servers, showing something more than just tutorial or simple walk (Those videos need to show that the gameplay is kickin'). Well, that is just my opinion.
I didn't see your post as an attack, just a participation, an informative one at that. It actually helped sink in what i had just read a few minutes before.

For the moment i haven't looked into the video side of things, i have been concentrating more on learning about modding. Eventually i will want to start doing some videos myself, the first will obviously show off my own (egoist) creations and i'll see from there. I wouldn't say i am particularly good at it but have a good idea of what should be seen and how to edit. i normally use music and subs! unsure about speaking, normally sounds like a muffled rumble.
Is there a thread about video/tools etc anywhere, not just posting videos but a particular thread? I already have an empty but activated youtube account ready just for this purpose https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoyzPW ... -OftMyd1A?

You mentioned certain points that should be put across in a video to make it worth watching and to counter MC because they scoff (more or less) the only real advantage they have is shaders, apart from that MC looks as basic as Minetest in vanilla from there on in it's purely visual based on what each persons machine can handle graphically. Both MT and Mc are identical in this way. I am lucky, i can throw what i want at my machine and it can more or less handle it. Others can't and MC scoffers are probably those that have decent machines today watching dated MT videos made on earlier less powerful machines which graphically will obviously look bad. they are just small minded people.

One thing i forgot to mention in my initial post (just a thought) I think one of the first things people should do is stop this infernal comparison to MC, it's not MC it never will be. Minetest (don't want to sound picky but Minetest? The name?) has something different that i never saw in MC and i like it very much. I tried by putting this into practice with my teepees. Mesh's bigger than a single node. This is fantastic. I have been making 3D models and virtual visits using another language since the late 90's. I have built lots of models and am confident i can bring a fair amount into minetest. The great thing is they are all already low poly and just need scaling and converting to .obj or .b3d. Just in case, yes, i did build these and all textures. The only problem is that it could stray things (my side) away from the classic node cuboid look, which i think may be a problem for those that are fixed in that retro look. Only time will tell.

v-rob
Developer
GitHub: v-rob
IRC: v-rob

by v-rob » Post

We're supposed to be talking about advertising, not hijacking another thread to endlessly and fruitlessly argue about licensing.

So, without further ado, I suggest we advertise it with the words of celeron55 himself:
celeron55 wrote:The only minerals are coal (and some foolish yellow blocks)
Source: http://packages.8dromeda.net/minetest/w ... -14.1.html, circa 2011

There we go. That's all that you need to know about Minetest (although slightly outdated), because, as we all know, Mese is the culmination of Minetest. The end.

</sarcasm-to-dissipate-tension>

Now then, from the same source as before:

To you minecraft fanatics:

(Originally written on reddit.com)

I know a lot of people here are thinking that I am cloning a game, meanly and effortlessly copying what others have done, possibly making some fancy cheap technical improvements or something.

You could say all the first person shooters today are clones of Quake. They all look the same and mostly you can do the same things in them. Still everybody thinks they are different games and not clones. Why is it so?

The thing is, solely the game engine has considerably differing strengths compared to Minecraft's, which will probably lead to different gameplay. You know - a different game, that is.

This game isn't intended to be technically better, and I am doing it because I think this game type has potential for more good games. Also, this is an unbeatable project for learning stuff. You know, making a thing like this is painfully difficult - guess why there aren't too many proper "clones" out there?
Minetest isn't Minecraft. We shouldn't advertise it as such. Celeron55 didn't create it with that intention. And what he said here still stands; in fact, this is even more applicable now, what with Minetest's Lua API.
Core Developer | My Best Mods: Bridger - Slats - Stained Glass

Festus1965
GitHub: Festus1965
In-game: Festus1965 Thomas Thailand Explorer

by Festus1965 » Post

Depending on a lot of older but actual Threads the minetest "makers" seam to wake up ...

As after we are here discussing about "How to adverb minetest better", most might realize to think about
* "WHAT" is minetest, and
* is it ready to adverb, even
* worth ...

Sounds good, but ... discussion boards can show wrong also.
So let me see what will happen real.
Human has no future (climate change)
If urgend, you find me in Roblox (as CNXThomas)