Mobkit - Entity API [mobkit][alpha]

Termos

Re: Mobkit - Entity API [mobkit][alpha]

by Termos » Post

twoelk wrote:how about some jellyfish teaming up?
I'm not planning to do jellyfish atm, but it's definitely doable using mobkit, all it takes is a model and a couple of behavior functions, maybe someone else will?
Andrey01 wrote:Can I donwload dev version with those sharks?
I've been messing with the behaviors since, so dev version is in pieces atm. Turns out I'll be unable to work on this for a couple of weeks, all I can say is sharks are going to be included in the very next release, hopefully later this month.

u18398

by u18398 » Post

Termos wrote:Turns out I'll be unable to work on this for a couple of weeks, all I can say is sharks are going to be included in the very next release, hopefully later this month.
Nevermind, take your time. :)

I will be happy when I can add it to ZombieTest.

Termos

by Termos » Post

Difficult to say when I'll have some time to work on this, no release this time, but should anyone be interested in checking out, the dev version seems to work somewhat. Sharks are in.

mobkit
zombiestrd

It's very crude and probably buggy as hell though.

By the way, does anyone know, in github, how to get rid of the branch suffix appended to the main folder name inside the download zip?

Lone_Wolf
GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: LandarVargan
In-game: LandarVargan

by Lone_Wolf » Post

Termos wrote:By the way, does anyone know, in github, how to get rid of the branch suffix appended to the main folder name inside the download zip?
Nope, but if you set the name of the mod in its mod.conf that shouldn't matter too much
My ContentDB -|- Working on CaptureTheFlag -|- Minetest Forums Dark Theme!! (You need it)

Kurtzmusch
In-game: Kurtzmusch

by Kurtzmusch » Post

you could drop those zip files and just work on a dev branch, leting people clone the stable master branch, once the dev is stable enough you can merge it, this makes it a lot easyer for people to update the mod with a git pull
Like Puzzles? Escape The Dungeon

u18398

by u18398 » Post

Termos wrote:Difficult to say when I'll have some time to work on this, no release this time, but should anyone be interested in checking out, the dev version seems to work somewhat. Sharks are in.
the sharks are great. I am impressed. I could watch them swimming for hours :)

ZombieTest is updated :)

Termos

by Termos » Post

Tried coming a little bit closer yet?

I haven't had the time to test it properly, to make sharks spawn more often change line 175
if height and height >= 0 and
to
if height and

I don't see any good reasons for zombies not to spawn underground as well.

runs

by runs » Post

Hi,

I've checked it. Cool.

The sharks do not respond to a 'max_speed' change. Always the same velocity fast).

:-)

Termos

by Termos » Post

runs wrote: The sharks do not respond to a 'max_speed' change. Always the same velocity fast
Only in the example mod - I didn't care to make use of this parameter.

Behaviors themselves all take the speed param, max_speed can be passed there from a mod's brainfunc.
I'm just not sure these wip behaviors make good examples, take them with a grain of salt.

u18398

by u18398 » Post

Termos wrote:Tried coming a little bit closer yet?
I did not have too much time to test yet. But what I saw when I manually spawned
3 or 4 of them is that they sometimes collide. Got stuck for a moment and then turn in an
other direction. I guess they would probably also collide with other water animals if there
were any. Maybe a check if an other entity is nearby and moving on same y level is needed ?
Termos wrote: I don't see any good reasons for zombies not to spawn underground as well.
For my taste it is good as it is. But a setting could manage this easily.

I just had an idea that it would be very cool to spawn water mobs in swarms
and also let them swim like a swarm does. Same for land animals like sheep or cattle in a herd.
Like this sharks, dolphins or other big fishes could come in packs of 5 or 6 animals at a time.
Last edited by u18398 on Thu Sep 19, 2019 04:28, edited 1 time in total.

Termos

by Termos » Post

Thing is, what height>=0 effectively does is allow them to spawn only in the shallows, definitely not intended.
Gundul wrote: when I manually spawned 3 or 4 of them is that they sometimes collide.
They don't even try not to atm.
Object collision avoidance should be relatively easy to do using raycast, but so far this hasn't been a big issue, so I don't consider it a priority, which should be the api itself.
I already feel guilty of skipping to the cool stuff too soon.
Gundul wrote: I just had an idea that it would be very cool to spawn water mobs in swarms
and also let them swim like a swarm does.
Exactly the kind of cool stuff I'm trying not to skip to,
but somebody point me to a good animated reef fish model I could use and I'll probably make it happen.

Extex
GitHub: Extex101
In-game: Extex

by Extex » Post

A suggestion:
If a player traps a shark they look for open water and jump out of the water to get out of the players trap
So they'll jump out of the smaller pool into the bigger one
Creator of jelys_pizzaria and motorbike, and player of persistent kingdoms. RIP

u18398

by u18398 » Post

Termos wrote: I already feel guilty of skipping to the cool stuff too soon.
I do not think it is too soon and no reason to feel guilty :). People need something to see and feel.
I have seen many apis coming and vanishing in the past 4 years. If there is no advertisment of what the
api is actually capable to do, it is a useless api because most people can not imagine of what it can do.
It was a good idea to let it come together with a demo mod like wildlife. The Zombies are good and sharks are
best. there is no comparable shark mob for mobs_redo.
Termos wrote: Exactly the kind of cool stuff I'm trying not to skip to,
but somebody point me to a good animated reef fish model I could use and I'll probably make it happen.
I would if I could, but I have no talent in design. I can not even draw a fish with a pencil on paper. X)

Termos

by Termos » Post

Extex wrote:If a player traps a shark they look for open water and jump out of the water to get out of the players trap
So they'll jump out of the smaller pool into the bigger one
Now that's some suggestion. I'm pretty sure AAA titles wouldn't mind having AI like that.

Mobkit mobs typically can 'see' and make sense of 1 to 8 nodes at a time,
but being able to make out distinct map features consisting of at least hundreds of nodes in an ever changing environment is a whole new level entirely.

Wish that was possible though.

u18398

by u18398 » Post

I have seen that sharks spawn also in sweet water (river_water).
That means if you have valleys mapgen running, they sometimes even spawn in the smallest river ponds, just circling around in place :)

Maby before spawning a water mob, there should be a check of which water it is and if there is a minimum of
source nodes of it around spawning position.

Termos

by Termos » Post

Gundul wrote:Maby before spawning a water mob, there should be a check of which water it is and if there is a minimum of source nodes of it around spawning position.
Yes, probably it should,
however, I refuse to depend on anything other than minetest api, so the examples work with any and all games and mods. It's up to you to modify them according to your setup.

Simplest way, there's this:
if liquidflag then -- sharks
around line 182

then, if you're using MTG
if liquidflag and mobkit.nodeatpos({x=pos2.x,y=height+0.01,z=pos2.z}).name=='default:water_source' then
should do the trick.

u18398

by u18398 » Post

Termos wrote:
Gundul wrote:Maby before spawning a water mob, there should be a check of which water it is and if there is a minimum of source nodes of it around spawning position.
Yes, probably it should,
however, I refuse to depend on anything other than minetest api, so the examples work with any and all games and mods. It's up to you to modify them according to your setup.
And this what I am talking about. Valleys mapgen is vanilla Minetest. So is default:riverwater_source. :)
I do not know if river_water is also used in other minetest mepgens.

An other question is, which part is handling the spawning of mobs ?
Is that your mobkit, or is it the mod with the containing mob itself. ?

Termos

by Termos » Post

Gundul wrote:Valleys mapgen is vanilla Minetest. So is default:riverwater_source. :)
I do not know if river_water is also used in other minetest mepgens.
For valleys it is mapgen_river_water_source, default:river_water_source is an MTG alias, and every other game is free to rename it as they please.
Actually, I'll see if mapgen node name can be accessed somehow via minetest api.
(edit: yup, minetest.registered_aliases)
Gundul wrote:An other question is, which part is handling the spawning of mobs ?
Is that your mobkit, or is it the mod with the containing mob itself. ?
There are many correct ways to do spawns, that's why I consider it a mod side thing and my examples use custom spawn functions - check spawnstep().

However, I added an abstraction of the method to mobkit should one want to use it, the function is mobkit.get_spawn_pos_abr(dtime,intrvl,radius,chance,reduction)
Called from a global step, most of the time it does nothing and thus consume no resources, but occasionally it gets a viable spawn position on behalf of one random connected player.

On some servers using redo's abm based spawns, I noticed the spawn chances have been tweaked to the point hardly any spawns ever happen (but abms still active and using up res).
With the mobkit function you can spawn away for next to zero resource cost.

Termos

by Termos » Post

I git'd it at last.

Alpha release 190927
mobkit
wildlife
zombiestrd

Changes:

mobkit:
  • added function mobkit.pos_translate2d(pos,yaw,dist)
    added function mobkit.go_forward_horizontal(self,yaw,speed)
    aquatic behavior mobkit.hq_aqua_roam(self,prty,speed)
    aquatic behavior mobkit.hq_aqua_turn(self,prty,tyaw,speed)
    aquatic behavior mobkit.hq_aqua_attack(self,prty,tgtobj,speed)
zombiestrd:
  • added Shark aquatic mob
Sharks spawn only in at least two nodes deep regular water, they try to avoid obstacles and shallows, and will attack players on sight, given they are in at least 2 nodes deep water as well.

R-One

by R-One » Post

hi, as usual ... great job!

A quick question: Is it possible to have passive mobs reproduced?

for example, to program a brain that when they are in a padded enclosure that will be a feeder and a trough, they feed properly and then they have a chance to reproduce? that includes of course to have sexual mobs ...

runs

by runs » Post

R-One wrote:hi, as usual ... great job!

A quick question: Is it possible to have passive mobs reproduced?

for example, to program a brain that when they are in a padded enclosure that will be a feeder and a trough, they feed properly and then they have a chance to reproduce? that includes of course to have sexual mobs ...
My Petz mod have a fed/breed system close you describe. So yes, it is possible!

Termos

by Termos » Post

R-One wrote: for example, to program a brain that when they are in a padded enclosure that will be a feeder and a trough, they feed properly and then they have a chance to reproduce?
Sure it is possible, and has been done as runs said before.
I just don't care about introducing features based on MC to my example mods.

As to testing if they are penned, one way could be a behavior that simulates a mob walking in four directions and then checks how far they would get, but again, I don't see good reasons to restrict reproduction to penned animals, except if trying to recreate MC.

ElCeejo
GitHub: ElCeejo
In-game: ElCeejo

by ElCeejo » Post

Would it be possible to have mobs defend their owners when attacked, or attack anything their owner punches? I've tried accomplishing it using mobkit functions but I've had no luck so far.

runs

by runs » Post

ElCeejo wrote:Would it be possible to have mobs defend their owners when attacked, or attack anything their owner punches? I've tried accomplishing it using mobkit functions but I've had no luck so far.
My Petz mod has mobs that defend owners (not when attacked, but against all player close to the owner after give them a order). But it would be trivial to do a check to init the attack only after a first punch. So yes for the first question.

I'd do it:

1) Grab the player that hit the owner (player_that_attack) in the on_punch event. And set a variable on the mob to mark the attack status (self.attack_player), maybe this variable would have to be reseted after a time.

2) In the behaviour:

Code: Select all

local player = mobkit.get_nearby_player(self) --get the player close
local player_name = player:get_player_name()
if prty < 10 then
 if player then
	if (self.owner == true and player_name ~= self.owner) then
          if vector.distance(pos, player:get_pos()) <= self.view_range then	-- if player close
		if self.attack_player == true and player_name == player_that_attack then --attack player										
		mobkit.hq_warn(self, 10, player) -- try to repel them
		return		
	       end
	end
end
For the second question I guess that yes too.

The problem with mobkit is to understand its behaviour philosophy based on priorities. And to do your own hq functions for advanced features. After that, you could do all you want.

u18398

by u18398 » Post

Termos wrote:I git'd it at last.
thanks, that makes it easier to work with your mods and api. :)
I think your api could advance to at least beta. It is running stable and reliably
and has much less cpu impact on server hardware than other mob apis.
I added mobkit, wildlife mod and the sharks from zombiestrd to my other server
'Lilly in the valley' to test if server can handle it. So far it runs very well, no lag
added.
Termos wrote:
  • added Shark aquatic mob
Sharks spawn only in at least two nodes deep regular water, they try to avoid obstacles and shallows, and will attack players on sight, given they are in at least 2 nodes deep water as well.
I do not know if that was me, isolating the sharks from zombiestrd, or it is your mod. But first adding it to Lilly
sharks spawned everywhere on land where water was nearby. That means on farming land also, where you need a
water node to get wet_soil. I added a check for min # waternodes before spawning a shark:
https://github.com/berengma/sharks