Please give feedback on QiskitBlocks game

JavaFXpert
GitHub: JavaFXpert

Please give feedback on QiskitBlocks game

by JavaFXpert » Post

I just uploaded a game named QiskitBlocks designed to teach quantum computing. As I’m building out in-world content, it would be great to have feedback that helps shape future revisions. Here is the ContentDB link https://content.minetest.net/packages/J ... kitblocks/
Thanks,
James Weaver

texmex
GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: tacotexmex

Re: Please give feedback on QiskitBlocks game

by texmex » Post

This looks super interesting. I'm pressed for time but I'd like to take it for a spin for sure! :)

matyilona200
GitHub: matyilona

by matyilona200 » Post

Hi, I just took a quantum computing course last semester, where we used qiskit, so I havent read all the text, just started playing around. It is very nice, I can absolutely see it being used for teaching quantum computation much earlier than an MSc course!

Some early notes:
  • qiskits back-to-front bit ordering: intuitively I would have expected bits to be ordered the other way around (left-to-right -> top-to-bottom) but I know qiskit has it back-to-front as well, for example the hadamard and X gate example I expected the top bit to need the H gate. I'm not sure if this quirk of qiskit should be "canonicalized".
  • Gate names in tooltip: I immediately searched for hadamard in creative inventory, and found nothing. For the named gates it could be nice to have their name.
  • For rotations, and "points-on-blochsphere-state-nodes", it would be nice to have only one node in the inventory, and set it's parameters later when it's placed down.
  • I'm not sure what the cats are, and how the work. Are they a kid friendly qubit representation?
This is very cool, I only played around with it for a few minutes and I love it! I have not tried the if gates, but I'll try to build quantum teleportation circuit next. If I find the time, I might look into the source code, and see if instead of/next to basis state probabilities density matrices could be visualized, so mixed states and entanglement could be better shown.

I have not tried the wire extention either, but it could be nice for connecting a circuit to a blackbox/oracle which could be a circuit in a literal box, with only in/output coming out.

texmex

by texmex » Post

Larger font breaks text box.
Attachments
font.png
font.png (42.87 KiB) Viewed 1522 times

JavaFXpert

by JavaFXpert » Post

Thanks for your feedback, matyilona200!
matyilona200 wrote:Hi, I just took a quantum computing course last semester, where we used qiskit, so I havent read all the text, just started playing around. It is very nice, I can absolutely see it being used for teaching quantum computation much earlier than an MSc course!

Some early notes:
  • qiskits back-to-front bit ordering: intuitively I would have expected bits to be ordered the other way around (left-to-right -> top-to-bottom) but I know qiskit has it back-to-front as well, for example the hadamard and X gate example I expected the top bit to need the H gate. I'm not sure if this quirk of qiskit should be "canonicalized".
  • Gate names in tooltip: I immediately searched for hadamard in creative inventory, and found nothing. For the named gates it could be nice to have their name.
  • For rotations, and "points-on-blochsphere-state-nodes", it would be nice to have only one node in the inventory, and set it's parameters later when it's placed down.
  • I'm not sure what the cats are, and how the work. Are they a kid friendly qubit representation?
This is very cool, I only played around with it for a few minutes and I love it! I have not tried the if gates, but I'll try to build quantum teleportation circuit next. If I find the time, I might look into the source code, and see if instead of/next to basis state probabilities density matrices could be visualized, so mixed states and entanglement could be better shown.

I have not tried the wire extention either, but it could be nice for connecting a circuit to a blackbox/oracle which could be a circuit in a literal box, with only in/output coming out.
Thanks! Yea, the Qiskit qubit ordering (top wire is least significant qubit) is different from some implementations. I'm adding your "gate name in tooltips" suggestion. Regarding showing various Bloch spheres, the user doesn't see those when Creative Mode is de-selected, so I will add a warning if user has that selected on game startup. You're correct that the cat's are a kid-friendly representation of qubit basis states (grumpy == |0>, happy == |1>). Here's a short video of lightning talk I gave explaining quantum mechanics with grumpy cat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9ej8pwFiUA

JavaFXpert

by JavaFXpert » Post

Thanks for your feedback, texmex!
texmex wrote:Image

I will put less characters per line in those boxes.

Thanks again,
James Weaver

Desour
GitHub: Desour
IRC: Desour
In-game: DS
Location: I'm scared that if this is too exact, I will be unable to use my keyboard.

by Desour » Post

This looks very nice!
JavaFXpert wrote:Thanks for your feedback, texmex!
texmex wrote:<image>

I will put less characters per line in those boxes.

Thanks again,
James Weaver
You could use a readonly textarea instead of a table, see https://github.com/minetest/minetest/bl ... 2122-L2127.

I see that you use all minetest_game mods. You don't have to do so, but you can, of course. However, try to keep them up-to-date with the newest release (or the minetest version that you want to support with this subgame). For example, the sethome mod still uses player:set_attribute, which produces warnings in the terminal and the logs.

Speaking of warnings, I get many Irrlicht: PNG warning warnings. Maybe there's something wrong with your pngs? Idk.

And you don't need to ship all the *.xcf image files with the mods. (Maybe you have a reason for this, idk, I can't open these files because of version mismatches.)
he/him; Codeberg; GitHub; ContentDB; public personal TODO list; "DS" is preferred (but often too short)

texmex

by texmex » Post

If you want to use some MTG mods individually you may use https://github.com/minetest-game-mods (always up to date, commit history kept and isolated)

JavaFXpert

by JavaFXpert » Post

Thanks DS and texmex! I will follow up on your great suggestions.

Kimapr
GitHub: Kimapr
IRC: Kimapr
In-game: Kimapr

by Kimapr » Post

Why not add a offline quantum simulator?
Ek59C88tAsaQuRAw6PCPsGFDozj1FuZ4

JavaFXpert

by JavaFXpert » Post

Kimpar,

Instructions for installing and using an offline (local) quantum simulator are here: https://github.com/JavaFXpert/QiskitBlocks

Apolodor

by Apolodor » Post

Hi,

Thank you for the great game!

I gave it a try and I am stuck at first level in room 15/16. I took the tools from the toolbox, left the room and exited the game. When restarting the game the toolbox in room 15/16 is empty.

Is there any way for resetting the toolbox content so the toolbox content reverts to its default? Looks like I can not move on to the next room without that Rx/Ry tools or whatever was inside the toolbox.

Thanks!