Help with Idea I had

dfournier

Help with Idea I had

by dfournier » Post

I have recently set up a Minetest server just for my Elementary students to use. I switch it between a survival world they can play together and Capture the Flag that I modified to remove all guns, etc. making it suitable for a school settings.

Anyway, I want to make a group survival world that if one player dies the world restarts. It would force the students to work more closely together and look out for each other.

I found a mod called spawn-sanitizer that would wipe that area clean, but I have not found anything to kill all players if one dies.

Any input or suggestions would be appreciated.

duane
GitHub: duane-r

Re: Help with Idea I had

by duane » Post

You could try this. It permanently kills any players that haven't got the server privilege, when any of them die. They can log back in, but they'll be starting over from scratch. I haven't tested it extensively, but it seems to work.

https://github.com/duane-r/one_for_all
Believe in people and you don't need to believe anything else.

dfournier

by dfournier » Post

Thanks, I will give that a try.

By the way great name.

Duane Fournier

TumeniNodes
GitHub: TumeniNodes
IRC: tumeninodes
In-game: TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

dfournier wrote:By the way great name.

Duane Fournier
Lucky... I never get to enjoy finding someone who shares my name. :'(

Lucifer
A Wonderful World

dfournier

by dfournier » Post

Duane,

Thanks for the Mod. I set up a survival world and added the mod. It worked once on the first world then only a few where getting kicked, so I deleted that world and made another and it worked great several times in a row. My third grade class really enjoyed it.

Is there a way to completely reset the world to original when the one_for_all mod kicks them?

duane

by duane » Post

dfournier wrote:Is there a way to completely reset the world to original when the one_for_all mod kicks them?
I can sort of do that with my mapgen, but that's because I generated everything in lua and can just regenerate it. Even then, I couldn't do it everywhere at once. You can regenerate decorations and ores with the normal mapgens, but I don't think that would recreate everything. So, the answer is probably no.

The best way is to just delete the whole world folder and restart the server, which you can't do from a mod.

dfournier

by dfournier » Post

Thanks, As I plan to use it only with groups in my classroom I can do that.

Thanks again.

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

Kids need to learn to care about each other and love each other. Any mod that persuades them to do just that is a great mod. Survival of the fittest (survival of the ruthlessly wicked) is not the supreme law of the universe.

FreeGamers
GitHub: is proprietary I use NotABug

by FreeGamers » Post

I like this failstate idea. Sounds like a clever way to force kids to consider the state of other's in their group and be a bit more involved in their neighbors well-being and coaxing others along down the path of progress.

You're only as strong as your weakest link.

On the otherhand... hopefully the straggler isn't pummeled with dodge-balls at recess for getting the world reset and losing the group's town and crops repeatedly. Some kid out there may end up with voxel nightmares and have a flashback when he sees a Minetest logo 20 years from now.
FreeGamers.org has moved to MeseCraft.net | FreeGamers on this forum is now MeseCraft

duane

by duane » Post

Inocudom wrote:Survival of the fittest (survival of the ruthlessly wicked) is not the supreme law of the universe.
Remember that survival of the fittest also means survival of the fittest group -- that's why we learned to love each other to begin with. And why cats can never form the same sort of bond with people that dogs do, despite the fact that they're both "higher mammals". (Don't get me wrong, I'm a cat person, but they're solo hunters at heart, not pack animals like us.)