[mod][mapgen] Ether Lands [ether_lands]

Kurtzmusch
In-game: Kurtzmusch

[mod][mapgen] Ether Lands [ether_lands]

by Kurtzmusch » Post

download/git: https://notabug.org/Kurtzmusch/ether_lands

license: lgpl 2.1: see https://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licens ... alone.html

general description

Ether Lands is a mapgen inspired by paramat's fracture, minecraft's Aether and maybe a little bit of no mans sky

a layer of 3d noise with variable height makes up the cyanland. at the lowest points the biome changes to orangelands and at the highest it changes to bluelands. those biomes are not directly connected and are separated in height by roughly 200 nodes, as if the bluelands were torn from the main cyanlands by some anti-gravity force

you can force a spawnpoint, a seed and choose the height of the realm

it is possible to use this realm mixed with other mapgens, with no performance cost if there isnt overlap between the realms

performance:

using a dual-core 2.2Ghz cpu, mapchunks (default80^3 nodes) take 500ms to be generated (0.5 second)
a player traveling at speed=2 (roughly sprint speed) is able to generate mapchunks fast enough to never see them popping if fog is set to 130
for a single player, lua memory never goes above 50mib so there is no 'out of memory' problem afaik

full scope of the project

i don't have a clear view of what this project should be in the future, but i do want to add a variety of flora wich can be used to give player effects related to gravity. i also want to add big structures left by an unknown civilisations, similar to the nether fortress in minecraft. also thinking about making a method for teleportation that is generated with the world
Attachments
Screenshot from 2019-09-26 19-16-55.png
Screenshot from 2019-09-26 19-16-55.png (469.42 KiB) Viewed 362 times
Screenshot from 2019-09-23 18-19-19.png
Screenshot from 2019-09-23 18-19-19.png (607.23 KiB) Viewed 362 times
Screenshot from 2019-09-23 18-17-40.png
Screenshot from 2019-09-23 18-17-40.png (759.29 KiB) Viewed 362 times
Last edited by Kurtzmusch on Fri Dec 06, 2019 14:30, edited 3 times in total.
Like Puzzles? Escape The Dungeon

puzzlecube
GitHub: puzzlecube
IRC: puzzlecube
In-game: puzzlecube KluppingOnion

Re: [mod][mapgen] Ether Lands [ether_lands]

by puzzlecube » Post

Nice floatlands! I love the surface of the islands. It does have some odd flat spots with no grass and kind of looks like they are ripping a bit on some slopes though but it is better than blobby or almost totally smooth gradients. Might look cool if the crevaces were filled with water. Also I would love to see a way to make them available in other mapgens.
Would you believe this came from an autistic guy with low vision? Believe it.
Check this out![url]https:github.com/puzzlecube[/url]
I also make models for 3d printing!

Kurtzmusch
In-game: Kurtzmusch

Re: [mod][mapgen] Ether Lands [ether_lands]

by Kurtzmusch » Post

puzzlecube wrote:Nice floatlands! I love the surface of the islands. It does have some odd flat spots with no grass and kind of looks like they are ripping a bit on some slopes though but it is better than blobby or almost totally smooth gradients. Might look cool if the crevaces were filled with water. Also I would love to see a way to make them available in other mapgens.
those flat areas are something easy to fix, i was just more exited about doing other stuff like prototyping some trees and smoothing the biome edges

filling areas with water is more complicated though, and is a low priority thing right now

making this available with other mapgens is very trivial, and ill do it, but im not sure the performance would still be the same, as this is already quite intensive to generate
Like Puzzles? Escape The Dungeon