Upcoming "Wet Dry Dirt"?

BlueTangs Rock

Upcoming "Wet Dry Dirt"?

by BlueTangs Rock » Post

Greetings, I don't know where the proper place to talk about MineTest's Upcoming blocks would be at since my GitHub doesn't work properly, so I'll just talk about it here, and hope for the best.

So I was looking on the MineTest block Wiki and noticed that there are supposedly some upcoming Dry Dirt-Type blocks there.

though I also noticed that one of those blocks are called "Wet Dry Soil", which I'm assuming would be if you tilled Dry Dirt, and had the Dry Soil block next to water, which is a pretty strange name choice if I do say so myself.

I'm wondering why not just make it to that once Dry Soil is near water that it would just convert to Regular Soil, which could eventually convert to Regular Wet Soil?
Attachments
Screenshot_20190930-012305.png
Screenshot_20190930-012305.png (154.24 KiB) Viewed 407 times
Look at that, a signiture box! To bad I have nothing to put in i-... Wait...

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

Re: Upcoming "Wet Dry Dirt"?

by Linuxdirk » Post

BlueTangs Rock wrote:I'm wondering why not just make it to that once Dry Soil is near water that it would just convert to Regular Soil, which could eventually convert to Regular Wet Soil?
I'm wondering if Wet Dry Soil really is a thing ... Who the hell came up with this linguistic monstrosity?

Your suggestion makes absolute sense, btw.

BlueTangs Rock

by BlueTangs Rock » Post

Linuxdirk wrote:
BlueTangs Rock wrote:I'm wondering why not just make it to that once Dry Soil is near water that it would just convert to Regular Soil, which could eventually convert to Regular Wet Soil?
I'm wondering if Wet Dry Soil really is a thing ... Who the hell came up with this linguistic monstrosity?

Your suggestion makes absolute sense, btw.
Thanks, Indeed that name confused me quite a bit as well, lol.

Red_King_Cyclops

by Red_King_Cyclops » Post

If Minetest Game gets a biome that represents a flooded arid region, will there be "wet dry wet dry soil?"
Currently working on new mods.

v-rob
Developer
GitHub: v-rob
IRC: v-rob

by v-rob » Post

Red_King_Cyclops wrote:If Minetest Game gets a biome that represents a flooded arid region, will there be "wet dry wet dry soil?"
... and then it gets baked, placed in a pot of water to boil it, dehydrated, and then accidentally dropped into a pool of water, whereupon it is placed in the furnace to dry it off, and finally placed down and tilled and watered to grow some plants. Then we'd have "wet dry wet dry wet dry wet dry wet dry soil" :-)
Core Developer | My Best Mods: Bridger - Slats - Stained Glass

TumeniNodes
GitHub: TumeniNodes
IRC: tumeninodes
In-game: TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

xD Thpltpltpltpltpltptl (< is a raspberry)
I think I may have argued this during the PR.... (either that or I'm the lunatic... which is definitely possible )

I will take this into consideration and revisit, and possibly try to fix it... but it will have to wait until after the freeze/release

But, before you tar and feather me... just remember... "Jumbo shrimp" exists IRL, so.....
A Wonderful World

BlueTangs Rock

by BlueTangs Rock » Post

TumeniNodes wrote:xD Thpltpltpltpltpltptl (< is a raspberry)
I think I may have argued this during the PR.... (either that or I'm the lunatic... which is definitely possible )

I will take this into consideration and revisit, and possibly try to fix it... but it will have to wait until after the freeze/release

But, before you tar and feather me... just remember... "Jumbo shrimp" exists IRL, so.....
Sounds good. :)

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Post

Perhaps a good idea to change that description to "Irrigated Dry Soil" or something.
However in context of how farming works and how it names nodes, it is logical, that's why it was merged.
It is not an issue in survival mode because it drops default:dry_dirt, so you would never have a node in inventory with the description 'Wet Dry Soil'.

> I'm wondering why not just make it to that once Dry Soil is near water that it would just convert to Regular Soil, which could eventually convert to Regular Wet Soil?

Because regular soil is a different node from a different biome with a different appearence.
Also, if the 'Regular Wet Soil' dries out it would then convert back to default:dirt. So this would convert nodes into different nodes alien to and unsuitable for that biome.

BlueTangs Rock

by BlueTangs Rock » Post

paramat wrote:Perhaps a good idea to change that description to "Irrigated Dry Soil" or something.
However in context of how farming works and how it names nodes, it is logical, that's why it was merged.
It is not an issue in survival mode because it drops default:dry_dirt, so you would never have a node in inventory with the description 'Wet Dry Soil'.

> I'm wondering why not just make it to that once Dry Soil is near water that it would just convert to Regular Soil, which could eventually convert to Regular Wet Soil?

Because regular soil is a different node from a different biome with a different appearence.
Also, if the 'Regular Wet Soil' dries out it would then convert back to default:dirt. So this would convert nodes into different nodes alien to and unsuitable for that biome.

Ah, ok that's makes sense. :)