Linux

gir96

Linux

by gir96 » Post

I am posting this because i can't put any mod on my linux version of minetest i downloaded the game out of the Ubuntu Software Center and they did not give me a folder for the game so i dont know how to put mods in minetest or where to put them

Menche
IRC: Menchers
In-game: Menche

by Menche » Post

You put them in ~/.minetest/mods/minetest/
You may have to create those folders.
Last edited by Menche on Sat Aug 04, 2012 03:34, edited 1 time in total.
An innocent kitten dies every time you top-post.

gir96

by gir96 » Post

it dose not work unless i have to make 3 folders???

Menche

by Menche » Post

That is the folder to put mods in, if they don't exist you have to make them.

gir96

by gir96 » Post

so i put on the folder minetest/mods/minetest but it said icant put the / so what do i do

Menche

by Menche » Post

*sigh* make a folder called .minetest, go into that and make another called mods, go into that and make another called minetest.

gir96

by gir96 » Post

oooohhh ok so i put the folder in the desktop?

Menche

by Menche » Post

No, in your home folder.

VanessaE
GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

First, forget about Ubuntu Software Center. Minetest mods are not likely to be distributed through that service.

Instead, browse the Mod Releases and Modding General sections of these forums. Find the mods you want in those lists.

Look at the first post of each thread that talks about the mod you want - most of the time, the download link will be there in the first post.

Each mod author chooses his or her own location to store them, and most will be in the form of a ZIP file, so don't be surprised if those download links mention sites like ompldr, dropbox, github, etc.

Download and save them somewhere predictable, such as ~/Downloads

Open a terminal.

Code: Select all

unzip ~/Downloads/file-you-downloaded.zip
(assuming it's a ZIP file - DON'T JUST COPY AND PASTE!)

Make a note of the folder name that is created.

Code: Select all

mkdir -p ~/.minetest/mods/minetest/
mv name-of-unzipped-folder  ~/.minetest/mods/minetest/
Then run the game from the terminal (just type minetest and hit enter).
Last edited by VanessaE on Sat Aug 04, 2012 03:53, edited 1 time in total.
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

gir96

by gir96 » Post

so i go to the terminal and put unzip folders from downloads

Topywo

by Topywo » Post

I wonder how that would work out :-)

What you must do is (and it looks more work than it really is (ony 5-10 minutes):

1) go to the C55-Github site: https://github.com/celeron55/minetest
2) Scroll down to the readme.txt
3) Scroll down in the readme.txt a bit more till you see:
Compiling on GNU/Linux:
-----------------------

4) Now open your terminal, you'll see something ending with ~$
5) Type the word sudo in your terminal after $. Don't push the enter/return key yet!.
6) Copy the whole line: apt-get install build-essential libirrlicht-dev ... till ... libopenal-dev
7) Paste that line behind sudo and now push enter/return.
8) Ubuntu will ask your password for the computer. Fill it in and hit enter/return. The libraries you need for minetest are now getting installed. Probably you already have them, but that's no problem.

8) Then copy the line after $ (the whole line except the $)
9) Paste it in your terminal after $

10a) Repeat 8 and 9 till you want to copy this: cd celeron55-minetest-286edd4 (or similar). Only copy the green part in your terminal. Do not enter/return yet.
10b) Open your file manager programme on your computer. In your homefolder you will see celeron55-minetest- with another code than 286edd4 (or similar). Type that code directly behind cd celeron55-minetest-. Now you can enter/return

11) Repeat 8 and 9 until you have copy/pasted make -j2. This last one will take the most time.
12) You don't need to do cd bin, because you can use your file manager from here on to go to your bin.

You've now compiled and installed the latest minetest version on your Linux.

MODS
1) Look in the "mod releases or modding general" on the forum for whatever mod you like. The first post of each mod normally contains a link to ompldr, dropbox, github, etc. (thanks Vanessa :-) ). Further the author most of the times puts some screenshots, a description and the crafting recipes for that mod. I advice you to download "moreblocks" to try the 1st time.
2) Click the link to download the mod in your download folder.
3) Go to your download folder and doubleclick the mod file.
4) Select the folder (moreblocks) by clicking on it.
5) Select the word "extract" and click on it
6) Browse in this screen to your select your home/..../celeron-..../mods/minetest folder
7) Now click on "extract" (right-under), so the mod will be extracted and put in your mods/minetest folder
8) you can close or quit the extract application.

This all should work, but just ask if something gives you trouble. If a mod doesn't seem to work, ask in that mod's topic on the forum your question.
Last edited by sfan5 on Sat Aug 04, 2012 18:38, edited 1 time in total.

sfan5
GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

by sfan5 » Post

The Software Center Version is old
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke & Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

Menche

by Menche » Post

You seem to be on Ubuntu; there are PPAs for the stable (0.4.1) and for the daily unstable builds.

srothe

by srothe » Post

Yes, for Ubuntu you can add the repositories to your download manager and install minetest (not the mods!) through Utubuntu One and keep it up-to-date through the automatic update routine. Regarding the mods, the procedure has been described here (see earlier posts).

But (lookin at your own post) what you really need to do is: Become familiar about how a Linux system works. It is almost impossible to help you, unless you really *know* and *understand* what is written above (except the compilation stuff - for a start), because that is basics and it is the technical terms which you partly do not understand. Do not get me wrong please, we are all to happy to help you, but help should focus on Minetest issues, not generic Linux basics. Everybody who is on linux knows it is hard at start. As soon as you dive into it you will learn to love it, very quickly indeed.

Have fun,

Stefan