Is everyone on Minetest 5.0 yet ?

Have you updated to Minetest 5.0 or above ?

Yes
80%
No
20%

Total votes: 41

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

Is everyone on Minetest 5.0 yet ?

by TenPlus1 » Post

An important question indeed, has everyone switched to Minetest 5.0 or above ? and if not, could you tell us why you stuck with a previous release (0.4.16, 0.4.17) ?

I try to keep my mods backwards compatible with 0.4.16 and above but with all the new features and functions available it's getting more difficult to do this.

Pyrollo
Developer
GitHub: pyrollo
In-game: Naj

Re: Is everyone on Minetest 5.0 yet ?

by Pyrollo » Post

I switched quite early.
I'm still surprised to see, in the server list, the large amount of players playing on <=0.4.17 servers.
[ Display Modpack ] - [ Digiterms ] - [ Crater MG ] - [ LATE ]

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Post

Pyrollo wrote:I'm still surprised to see, in the server list, the large amount of players playing on <=0.4.17 servers.
Oh really! Actually I did not notice there were still so many players on 0.4.x, many months after the release. The player count was a bit low, but didn't seem unusual low compared to previous years.
According to my debug.txt I last used a 0.4.x build in March this year. Switching happened for obvious reasons.

PS: Also ask the Android players why they did not switch yet. Here I expect a majority to be up to date already, but the situation is different for those who aren't that much involved in the community.
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

FreeGamers
GitHub: is proprietary I use NotABug

by FreeGamers » Post

I'm sure for a lot of players, they're just going to use whatever is in their distribution. For other players, its likely they'll upgrade when they notice they cannot connect to their preferred servers anymore, and see the upgrade message. I'm sure some percentage of users and servers will lag behind, but over time surely 5.0 will be adopted? I think one of the nicest features of 5.0.1 for players is the ContentDB and added convenience of adding mods in an easier way.
FreeGamers.org has moved to MeseCraft.net | FreeGamers on this forum is now MeseCraft

Kor
In-game: Kor

by Kor » Post

The only reason not to switch to the latest version is when you play on a public server that hasn't upgraded yet.

firefox
In-game: Red_Fox

by firefox » Post

Kor wrote:The only reason not to switch to the latest version is when you play on a public server that hasn't upgraded yet.
so the players don't upgrade because the server didn't upgrade,
and the server doesn't upgrade because the players didn't upgrade.
✨🏳️‍🌈♣️✨

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

We currently have around 92 servers still using Minetest 0.4.x on the server list vs 109 using 5.x so it's going to be a slow upgrade for many players and servers.

Kor
In-game: Kor

by Kor » Post

For the players it is simple to upgrade. Also, if my favorite server upgrade, why wouldn't I upgrade to 5.x? Smartphone users and those with other arcane OS excused. In fact most players may have both 0.4.x and 5.x on their machines.

For a server, where the owner put a lot of effort into customizing/forcing all the mods working together, it might be little more trouble?

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Holy shit, the player count on non-5.0.0 servers is huge. Right now I see a server with 47 players and I can't access it because it's stuck in the past. 5 servers with >20 players, all non-5.0.0.

It's insane how many players are playing Minetest these days.

If updating Minetest means you will lose access to your favourite servers, you will naturally feel very reluctant to update.

As long servers don't update, nothing will happen. Basically it all depends on the servers to do the first step. Don't wait for the players, they will follow you naturally.

But I'm afraid there will always be servers that are just stuck in the past for various reasons. Sadly, JT2 is very unlikely to go 5.0.0 anytime soon because it uses a forked engine …

Anyway, as for me, I am obviously on 5.0.0 since a long time now.

acheron

by acheron » Post

Hi, I'm using openSuse Leap - the stable distro, not the cutting edge one with rolling release model (called Thumbleweed). For Leap, 4.17 is still the released version which you get when you don't mess with repos manually. I guess there are more "stable" linux distros that handle it like this...

Walker
In-game: Walker

by Walker » Post

i updated my server to ... now it is 5.0.1 ... and lost many player ^^

I think the answer is that e.g. Debian for a long time had only 0.4.17.1 in the stable repository
I think the answer is that e.g. Debian until today has only 0.4.17.1 in the stable repository

redblade7
IRC: redneonglow redblade7
In-game: redblade7 redblade7_owner

by redblade7 » Post

I slowly switched my servers (and my client) to v5 over a period of 3-4 weeks. I have v0.4 still on my computer but never use it.
-redblade7, admin of: THE CREATIVE GARDENS (creative), THE VALLEYS (sandbox), and THE DIGITAL FARMS (farming/hunger/shops)

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

Going to switch from 5.0.x to 5.1.x this weekend.

Festus1965
GitHub: Festus1965
In-game: Festus1965 Thomas Thailand Explorer

by Festus1965 » Post

most easy,
stop listing 0.4.x server in the server-list
then upgrading will be faster (and old clones have to follow or are gone)
Human has no future (climate change)
If urgend, you find me in Roblox (as CNXThomas)

FreeGamers
GitHub: is proprietary I use NotABug

by FreeGamers » Post

Walker wrote: I think the answer is that e.g. Debian for a long time had only 0.4.17.1 in the stable repository
I think the answer is that e.g. Debian until today has only 0.4.17.1 in the stable repository
Yep, Debian releases (which are the Stable branch of its repos) are notoriously slow. However, the benefit of this is really mature and stable distributions without many issues or crashes. Debian Stable, or sometimes joking referred to as Debian Stale, can get a bit old. Do you know how to use the backports repository? You can access newer Linux kernels, software versions, and other packages that have been backported to the Stable distribution by members of the Debian community. Adding the backports repository is as simple as adding a line to your /etc/apt/sources.list , The backports is still a bit slower than using testing/unstable repo branches but its much much much quicker than waiting for stable to get updated to a new release. Its safer than adding other repositories from Debian's other distributions as well, as you won't have to worry about mixing depenedcy versions and creating a Frankenstein debian.

https://backports.debian.org/Instructions/
https://packages.debian.org/search?keyw ... lla-search
FreeGamers.org has moved to MeseCraft.net | FreeGamers on this forum is now MeseCraft

Hume2
GitHub: Hume2
In-game: Hume2

by Hume2 » Post

Tunnelers' Abyss was at 5.0 from the beginning. Even though it uses a forked engine, I rebased it twice during the runtime. Well, it wasn't a big problem though, because the only modification is addition of a custom mapgen.
If you lack the reality, go on a trip or find a job.

AccidentallyRhine

by AccidentallyRhine » Post

I have been absent as my situation changed which no longer permits me to host a server.

ftl
GitHub: FullTimeLinux
In-game: ftl

by ftl » Post

FreeGamers wrote:I'm sure for a lot of players, they're just going to use whatever is in their distribution. For other players, its likely they'll upgrade when they notice they cannot connect to their preferred servers anymore, and see the upgrade message. I'm sure some percentage of users and servers will lag behind, but over time surely 5.0 will be adopted? I think one of the nicest features of 5.0.1 for players is the ContentDB and added convenience of adding mods in an easier way.
Would it be possible for servers to print a message that goes over those points when players who are less than 5.0.1 connect? Maybe the server can print the message after players have spawned in. Showing those important messages where player's eyeballs are already is probably a handy way to increase 5.0 adoption.