Post your screenshots!

duane
GitHub: duane-r

Re: Post your screenshots!

by duane » Post

I really like this style. Kudos to slemon. Of course, none of my mobs spawn on brick. I guess I'll have to put in spawners.

I added a couple of chat commands to erase a room and save it as a table, when I'm done. Hopefully, I can make something a little more interesting than empty corridors.
Attachments
screenshot_20191012_013321.jpg
screenshot_20191012_013321.jpg (356.55 KiB) Viewed 1208 times
screenshot_20191012_013426.jpg
screenshot_20191012_013426.jpg (238.13 KiB) Viewed 1208 times
Believe in people and you don't need to believe anything else.

ShadMOrdre

by ShadMOrdre » Post

Any chance you'd make something that can be plugged into Geomoria? The maze and the pillar rooms do look impressive. Even if just a few new "chunks"?

OSS:
Cause nobody likes them, every body hates them, super duper realistic landscapes..... (sung to the tune of....)

Attachments
screenshot_20191011_232522.jpg
screenshot_20191011_232522.jpg (246.84 KiB) Viewed 1208 times
screenshot_20191009_092650.jpg
screenshot_20191009_092650.jpg (243.14 KiB) Viewed 1208 times

Hugues Ross
Developer
GitHub: Df458

by Hugues Ross » Post

super duper realistic landscapes
See, that's one thing I would disagree with..... Much of the real world is bright and colorful, but your landscapes are mainly brown, muddy, and desaturated. I would even go as far as to say that's probably why certain people complain about landscape shots in the first place, rather than the frequency that they get posted.

Personally though, I think people should post whatever images they want. You're not doing anything wrong in that regard.

duane

by duane » Post

ShadMOrdre wrote:Any chance you'd make something that can be plugged into Geomoria? The maze and the pillar rooms do look impressive. Even if just a few new "chunks"?
You could come up with something similar, but it wouldn't be random, and it wouldn't fit well. The thing that annoys me about roomgen is that it's based on 9m rooms, which works pretty well, but it can't fit evenly in a chunk. It would also be hard to match the required exits for geomoria, none of which are close to multiples of 9m apart. If you just want brick, you could replace the stone in the existing maps with brick.

Unless I can come up with some more interesting schematics, I'm not going to be playing this map much. Wandering around in the same, monotonous corridors gets old quick. I like the wide passages for mobs though. Even my giant lizards don't get stuck in them.

The ugliest spiral staircase ever made! (But it works.) I also added treasure chests and pitfalls. It's starting to feel like Stone Soup -- better get my stair humping back in gear.

Attachments
screenshot_20191012_030619.jpg
screenshot_20191012_030619.jpg (233.88 KiB) Viewed 1208 times

v-rob
Developer
GitHub: v-rob
IRC: v-rob

by v-rob » Post

Hugues Ross wrote:
super duper realistic landscapes
See, that's one thing I would disagree with..... Much of the real world is bright and colorful, but your landscapes are mainly brown, muddy, and desaturated. I would even go as far as to say that's probably why certain people complain about landscape shots in the first place, rather than the frequency that they get posted.
Honestly, yes, this is what I don't like. I want to play Minetest to make me happy, but these landscapes are rather... depressing.

But I won't even try to request that you don't post them. I only get rudeness and insult in return for a request.
Core Developer | My Best Mods: Bridger - Slats - Stained Glass

Miniminaut
In-game: Miniminaut

by Miniminaut » Post

@ Hometowners - do you live?

Attachments
screenshot_20180508_144943.png
screenshot_20180508_144943.png (407.73 KiB) Viewed 1208 times
Eckig - Bene - Basta

Lone_Wolf
GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: LandarVargan
In-game: LandarVargan

by Lone_Wolf » Post

Miniminaut wrote:@ Hometowners - do you live?
Yep, not the same without the server though

-----------------

My ContentDB -|- Working on CaptureTheFlag -|- Minetest Forums Dark Theme!! (You need it)

Robsoie

by Robsoie » Post

Ruins of the mountain fortress ( catacomb mod with local OBCHECK = false )

still amazing what this mod can generate when you want to explore stuff

ShadMOrdre

by ShadMOrdre » Post

I really don't know how to address this.

Rude. Going out of one's way to comment how much someone doesn't like something, making false assumptions abouts someone's comments, their intent, or the truth of the statement. Didn't yo mama ever tell you, "If you don't have something good to say, shut up!". V-Rob, I've respected your work and opinions. What's with the hate? Sorry you think my landscapes are depressing. Make a PR with a better palette. Make a PR with more biome / ecosystem data. Or don't. Have you seen the real world lately? Have you seen much of the world, in general? The parts I've seen, studied, been to, lived in, they are very similar to the environs that I've modded. I've used a wide assortment of real world data and information, as well as experience and knowledge from degrees earned, in assembling these mods. Just ftr.

For the record, practically every texture that I've assembled in lib_materials / lib_ecology comes from existing mods, that do not work together, but when assembled together in one of the most efficient and lag free mapgen mods available, it's depressing. So have we been asking for something besides MTG, something more than the same dirt/stone biomes, something easier to use than twenty dependencies???

I've not been rude in any post except maybe to those who showed rudeness to others, and only to call that behavior out. I've only ever stated the obvious. I post what I mod / play. Post what you mod / play.

If you want to complain about the screenshots being posted, at least post a screenshot. Hell, just post some screenshots on a routine basis. Then the thread won't be soooo depressing to view. As if half the complaint threads, and the two authors larglely responsible for them, aren't depressing enough.

I've already witnessed one modder being driven away earlier this summer because of the hate. Some of it coming originally from a poster to whom I am currently responding. I'm not hating on anyone. I am simply sharing what I've created. You do the same, and I do hope you continue to do so. What's with the hating on each other here.....?

Post a freakin screenshot once in a while, and the thread won't be so dominated by those who ACTUALLY post screenshots.

I'm actually a really nice guy, helpful to others, a teacher at the core. I also call out bad behavior, as any teacher should.

But from time to time, someone gets under me skin a bit, and I just get annoyed, so here's another couple of landscapes, because I likes to troll, just for the haters.

A jungle isn't always so brightly green. But this one is.

Deserts are, by nature, devoid of most life, and are made of dirt / sand / clay, etc. Those things are brownish / reddish / yellowish, and not very saturated in those colors.

I happen to live in a cool humid area, and these environments surround me. I painted what I see. The autumn reds, oranges, and yellows are only bright in the morning and evening sun. Otherwise, they are rather desaturated, and blend in with the overall brown / green that constitutes the majority of the area around me. Steep mountains, deep coniferous forests, lowland deciduous broadleaf forests, and just color all around. But desaturated, which is why the colors in the palettes that were chosen by the artists who made the textures are called "earthy", "natural".

With Lots of Love to all the modders who I apparently keep offending. This is NOT my intention. I thought we were all trying to make MT better. Am I missing something here???

Shad
Attachments
screenshot_20191012_202320.jpg
screenshot_20191012_202320.jpg (277.97 KiB) Viewed 1208 times
screenshot_20191012_142857.jpg
screenshot_20191012_142857.jpg (320.54 KiB) Viewed 1208 times
screenshot_20191012_130435.jpg
screenshot_20191012_130435.jpg (224.9 KiB) Viewed 1208 times

duane

by duane » Post

@ShadMOrdre: Hear, hear! Well said.

-----------------------------
Robsoie wrote:Ruins of the mountain fortress
I like it! Hellish for mobs though.

-------------------------------

Attachments
screenshot_20191012_105528.jpg
screenshot_20191012_105528.jpg (195.62 KiB) Viewed 1208 times

waldberg

by waldberg » Post

Hey, I'm here again...
ShadMOrdre wrote:I really don't know how to address this.

Rude. Going out of one's way to comment how much someone doesn't like something, making false assumptions abouts someone's comments, their intent, or the truth of the statement. Didn't yo mama ever tell you, "If you don't have something good to say, shut up!". V-Rob, I've respected your work and opinions. What's with the hate? Sorry you think my landscapes are depressing. Make a PR with a better palette. Make a PR with more biome / ecosystem data. Or don't. Have you seen the real world lately? Have you seen much of the world, in general? The parts I've seen, studied, been to, lived in, they are very similar to the environs that I've modded. I've used a wide assortment of real world data and information, as well as experience and knowledge from degrees earned, in assembling these mods. Just ftr.

For the record, practically every texture that I've assembled in lib_materials / lib_ecology comes from existing mods, that do not work together, but when assembled together in one of the most efficient and lag free mapgen mods available, it's depressing. So have we been asking for something besides MTG, something more than the same dirt/stone biomes, something easier to use than twenty dependencies???

I've not been rude in any post except maybe to those who showed rudeness to others, and only to call that behavior out. I've only ever stated the obvious. I post what I mod / play. Post what you mod / play.

If you want to complain about the screenshots being posted, at least post a screenshot. Hell, just post some screenshots on a routine basis. Then the thread won't be soooo depressing to view. As if half the complaint threads, and the two authors larglely responsible for them, aren't depressing enough.

I've already witnessed one modder being driven away earlier this summer because of the hate. Some of it coming originally from a poster to whom I am currently responding. I'm not hating on anyone. I am simply sharing what I've created. You do the same, and I do hope you continue to do so. What's with the hating on each other here.....?

Post a freakin screenshot once in a while, and the thread won't be so dominated by those who ACTUALLY post screenshots.

I'm actually a really nice guy, helpful to others, a teacher at the core. I also call out bad behavior, as any teacher should.

But from time to time, someone gets under me skin a bit, and I just get annoyed, so here's another couple of landscapes, because I likes to troll, just for the haters.

What's the point of that?

First of all... we all have to be respectful each other, and you are not excluded by that.
It's your privilege to post screenshots what you want and it is ok. But what also is ok is that people comment on that. And this is no problem, but it is normal. Because it is not possible to make something really really perfect, just impeccably. And I am sure you know that and nobody has ever done something as thus.

So everboy has the right to post screens and everybody has the right to say something to it. And we can be glad if its constructive (And I think it is constructive to say, that it is not real at all, in my opinion it is not more realistic than all other map generators). But if you do not like it...
Well, and I really really solicit you! Please think about what you do. Like I already said, you do not have to follow the things I say, just think about it and be respectful.

And all this complaining I do is not such
ShadMOrdre wrote:I just get annoyed.
than that you are posting always information or screenshots which is much lesser suitable in "screenshots" than in the correct topic.

And I think you also know that you reach nothing with provokation.

And in this case we finally have to say that nobody may ascribe to anybody he would be rude or more rude than anybody else! Ok? Is it clear?
And no human has to be a teacher or something else to be nice and helpful. Ok?
My english can cause brain cancer

voxelproof

by voxelproof » Post

ShadMOrdre wrote:I really don't know how to address this.

[...]Sorry you think my landscapes are depressing. Make a PR with a better palette.
Personally I don't think your landscapes are any more depressing than numerous dungeons shown in this thread, just the opposite. And I watch the progress of your project with keen interest. Any comments regarding the general ambience of the worlds with modified map and biome generation, as I noticed, mainly regard textures and not the proper settings. So if anyone finds the appearance of a given world unsatisfactory then the best thing to do imo would be to try improve it or at least suggest some improvements, stopping short of plain criticism and rejection.

Keep on, there's certainly a lot to do yet but what everybody can see already your worlds are very impressive and interesting to explore :)
To miss the joy is to miss all. Robert Louis Stevenson

duane

by duane » Post

Who says dungeons can't be green?

My "reading room".

Attachments
screenshot_20191013_045330.jpg
screenshot_20191013_045330.jpg (142.95 KiB) Viewed 1208 times
screenshot_20191013_044025.jpg
screenshot_20191013_044025.jpg (151.13 KiB) Viewed 1208 times
screenshot_20191013_042626.jpg
screenshot_20191013_042626.jpg (188.2 KiB) Viewed 1208 times

Chibi ghost
In-game: Ghost

by Chibi ghost » Post

I love that skeleton really I do
lol reading room
and I used to do lovely green landscapes and gardens underground all the time, in fact,
I think the more limited the space I use is the more creative I get about the way I use it
Attachments
screenshot_20191010_113553.png
screenshot_20191010_113553.png (484.65 KiB) Viewed 1208 times
screenshot_20191010_113503.png
screenshot_20191010_113503.png (468.99 KiB) Viewed 1208 times
screenshot_20191013_131917.png
screenshot_20191013_131917.png (661.22 KiB) Viewed 1208 times

WhoAreYou
In-game: whoareyou

by WhoAreYou » Post

Sol Towers. Made by bart. Red Cat Creative Server

WhoAreYou the subway builder

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Pictures of landscapes are often very nice and impressive. Yet it's also true that the more brownish, realistic colors of landscapes are not the brightest, most cheerful ones. I'm afraid it just depends on what each of us likes (and that may vary over time).

Anyway...here some hopefully relaxing petz doing more or less strange thigns:
Those water dingos in the picture above love hiding in sand on ocean floors. Why they do so is unkown.

Cat preparing to catch a train:

And..mapgen again, this time experimenting with placing houses the way Rochambeaus settlements mod does, but in mg_villages (paths are the most obvious lacking part; pink wool marks entrances to buildings):
Attachments
circular_villages.jpg
circular_villages.jpg (297.11 KiB) Viewed 1208 times
cat_waits_for_train.jpg
cat_waits_for_train.jpg (80.51 KiB) Viewed 1208 times
water_dingos.jpg
water_dingos.jpg (32.66 KiB) Viewed 1208 times
A list of my mods can be found here.

ShadMOrdre

by ShadMOrdre » Post

Thanks for the support and words of encouragement. They go far in motivating one to continue to share one's endeavors.

I also listen. I realized that I am a poor poor salesman. lib_materials already has the ability, simply by configuring it in the settings menu, that enables you to use the original colored grass files, instead of the greyscale variants that are enabled by default. I'll change the default setting.

Please do keep in mind, with over 200 unique biomes, and 1000 plus unique ecosytems, largely derived from essentially 4 textures and a 16 color palette, you may still encounter lots of brown, olive, and drab green. Saturation levels on the colored grass files are far more sensitive to changes than on the greyscale variants, but I'm open to suggestions, pull requests, constructive criticism, and forum ideas.

I also used duane's palette from his mapgen mod, expanding the 8 color to a 16 color palette. This made the world entirely too green, making biomes appear less natural. I've left the palette colors available in the mod, and can, even make a setting to enable them, if you'd like. I do listen. I've listened to a lot of conversations on this forum, and have tried my best to implement most of the ideas, concepts, hopes, dreams, and best practices.

I do apologize for my defensiveness. It is a human condition. One to which I, like the rest of us, succumb.

Here's an alternatively colored landscape. Hopefully more to everyone's liking.

Sokomine, if you are interested, I have previously modified the settlements mod to use lua tables, and have converted the bulk of mg_villages villages from .mts to lua tables. I use multiple copies of the settlements mod, each uniquely named, to enable multiple types of villages. I'm wanting to finalize an API from the settlements mod, adding some of the logic from your own city_builder mod.

Here's a pic of the sand city.
Attachments
screenshot_20191013_235945.jpg
screenshot_20191013_235945.jpg (363.62 KiB) Viewed 1208 times
screenshot_20191013_235659.jpg
screenshot_20191013_235659.jpg (219.08 KiB) Viewed 1208 times

Termos

by Termos » Post

ShadMOrdre wrote: Here's an alternatively colored landscape. Hopefully more to everyone's liking.
Not sure that's even possible, this seems highly subjective stuff.
Take Pixel Perfection texture pack for example, it makes my eyes puke, yet there are people who swear it looks beautiful to them.

This one:
Has been 'shopped with auto color enhance, because it looks much better like that to me.Looks like a mindless algorithm is a better color artist than me.

It also shows how much the default MT sky color sucks, and that's essential to the overall looks, because not only it occupies half the screen area on average, but fog color is the same as the skies' so everything gets overlaid with that bluesy funeral tint.

voxelproof

by voxelproof » Post

ShadMOrdre wrote: Please do keep in mind, with over 200 unique biomes, and 1000 plus unique ecosytems, largely derived from essentially 4 textures and a 16 color palette, you may still encounter lots of brown, olive, and drab green. Saturation levels on the colored grass files are far more sensitive to changes than on the greyscale variants, but I'm open to suggestions, pull requests, constructive criticism, and forum ideas.

I also used duane's palette from his mapgen mod, expanding the 8 color to a 16 color palette. This made the world entirely too green, making biomes appear less natural. I've left the palette colors available in the mod, and can, even make a setting to enable them, if you'd like.
Trying to make landscapes in a voxel-gridded world look familiar and as natural as possible is very interesting and... most often counterproductive :) The "uncanny valley" phenomenon, most often referred to as an unpleasant appearance of computer-rendered human faces and physique, also occurs in other parts of video game visuals. So, keep in mind that some natural landscapes do look very depressing, especially during late autumn and winter (in the northern hemisphere):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prairie_madness

(Also in my part of the world -- central Poland, Ukraine, there are some really depressing per se vast plains).

It's probably most often better to stylize textures in some coherent way so that they look just pleasant and not trying to photoreastically imitate reality:

(Ethereal part of the Sunny tp)

Psychedelic Orange
Attachments
ethereal_sunny.jpg
ethereal_sunny.jpg (557.76 KiB) Viewed 1208 times
To miss the joy is to miss all. Robert Louis Stevenson

Felfalido
GitHub: Felfa but in GitLab
IRC: Felfa or Are_16
In-game: Felfa

by Felfalido » Post

GreenDimond wrote:
TumeniNodes wrote:kissthis.jpg
I have seen everything.

---

OSS:
Is this the Minetest version of the Alphabet Game? :P
Debian & Arch GNU/Linux user - Libre software promoter - Antifa - Republican - Feminist - Atheist - Regular player at LinuxWorks server - Hi :-)

ShadMOrdre

by ShadMOrdre » Post

Termos, I couldn't agree more. Our perceptions, our tastes, our choices, are very subjective. One mans trash is still trash, but someone else may still find it useful.

By realistic, I certainly do not mean that it actually resembles what I see out my window. But, as a hobby, as a potential learning tool, I still try. By realistic, I simply mean landscapes that are varied in appearance and makeup. As compared to most biome definitions, which mostly appear to be rather monotonous, I think by adding ore defs for multiple dirt / grass combos within each biome, allows me to break up the monotony of biomes. And MT engine handles it rather well.

As for the textures, this is true. I really don't use TPs. Most of the textures I've assembled are from existing mods, mods that I feel keep the "theme" of MT / MTG. 16x16 pixel 16 color textures. Textures of larger size, say 32x32 or 64x64 are scaled, so that the pixel size on screen is constant across the various nodes.

In doing all this, I've taught myself a lot more about ecology, plants, trees, landforms, and more. I hope to actually add the scientific names for what has been added. Kids play this game. Might as well fill their heads with real world knowledge, instead of generic terms like dirt and stone. Teach them why certain plants or trees only grow under certain conditions and in certain soils. They are playing a game. They can be learning too. This, I think, is what really drives my efforts on completing this project. My own son has learned quite a bit about the real world, simply by playing a game he loves. He learns, without the school building, and without even knowing that he is learning.

That's bang for the buck right there.

I've actually taken to naming some of the areas I've encountered on these maps as "Uncanny Shores" or "Uncanny Vista". And while this is a block world game, I've even encountered some areas that actually resemble places I've been. Uncanny? Perhaps. Therapeutic, for the homesick? Perhaps. Educational for the kids? I do hope.

Shad

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and I, I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference....
Attachments
screenshot_20191014_000230.jpg
screenshot_20191014_000230.jpg (209.1 KiB) Viewed 1208 times

jas
IRC: Freenode

by jas » Post

Attachments
screenshot_20191014_091229.png
screenshot_20191014_091229.png (315.95 KiB) Viewed 1208 times

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

ShadMOrdre wrote: Sokomine, if you are interested, I have previously modified the settlements mod to use lua tables, and have converted the bulk of mg_villages villages from .mts to lua tables.
I still see no real point in that. .mts is very convenient and efficient for storing manually built things. In a way, mg_villages already uses lua tables - after all mods are written in lua, and tables the most convenient storage format. It's just more close to the way data is stored in the .mts table and less human readable. And it's just an internal representation, necessary for placement at mapgen time. It might make sense to add an import filter for the "lua table" format so that such files can be read as well.
ShadMOrdre wrote: I use multiple copies of the settlements mod, each uniquely named, to enable multiple types of villages.
Multiple copies sounds...dangerous from a coder's point of view. In how far do they differ, codewise and how they appear in the game?
ShadMOrdre wrote: I'm wanting to finalize an API from the settlements mod, adding some of the logic from your own city_builder mod.
My citybuilder mod definitely needs more love and care. If not by me, than at least by someone else intrested :-) Do you plan to make the villages extensible with citybuilder mechanisms? What citybuilder mostly lacks are mobs that actually build the houses. It's not as easy as I first thought (walk there, call a function, be done) because the mob has to pretend it's building (walk there, turn into right direction, wait, wield tool, show dig animation, wield block to be placed, show dig animation, place block, and *now* you can move on...).
ShadMOrdre wrote: Here's a pic of the sand city.
Is it supposed to be a ruins type of village? It looks a bit strange. The stairs and slabs are missing, nodes from my cottages mod are also missing, and the torches are not properly aligned.

Here's how my experiment with the circular villages would look like with the sandcity village type. Sandcity forces desert sand underground which does look out of place here - but it does illustrate how and where the buildings are placed. The village type lacks something that could work as village center like your nice fountain in your picture. But that'll be relatively easy to do. Having a network of paths is much more difficult, and I have no good solution yet.

The reason I'm looking into this smaller village type is to have less houses with less mobs required to roam around, and also to provide something for those players who don't want flat villages.
Attachments
circular_village_sandcity.jpg
circular_village_sandcity.jpg (224.87 KiB) Viewed 1208 times

texmex
GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: tacotexmex

by texmex » Post

@Sokomine What happened with your "flat area detection" code? Is it usable yet?

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

texmex wrote: @Sokomine What happened with your "flat area detection" code? Is it usable yet?
The flat area detection code is used in my basic_houses mod. It places houses randomly on flat area that was detected that way:

My lakes mod also makes heavy use of the heightmap in order to find holes that might be filled with water.

The new circular villages approach from above works slightly diffrent. Rochambeau searches places by scanning in a widening, roughly circular pattern and ensuring that the distance between houses is wide enough. This won't be optimal for the flat area detection - because that can only tell how large a building can get at a given spot without having to flatten. Many places are not suitable for anything remotedly usable. After all, even a house with just 3x3 m inside will need walls - 2 additional nodes - and often an overhanging roof - so we end up with a minimum size of a house of 7m in one direction. Still, the heightmap is useful. The newest approach just doesn't care about the area that will be covered by the building - it just takes a look at the height differences at the borders of the to-be-building and accepts only a limited overall difference.

This development screenshot shows the relevant borders (brick blocks) where the height was evaluated:
Attachments
circular_villages_dev.jpg
circular_villages_dev.jpg (302.37 KiB) Viewed 1172 times
basic_houses_placement.jpg
basic_houses_placement.jpg (297.96 KiB) Viewed 1172 times