[forum feature request] new forum board

would you like a new board for api/lib mods?

yes, that would be nice
77%
no, that would not be helpfull
8%
whatever, i dont care
15%

Total votes: 26

Kurtzmusch
In-game: Kurtzmusch

[forum feature request] new forum board

by Kurtzmusch » Post

it would be nice to have a board under mods for api/libs since those are mods that are meant to be installed only as dependencyes and are, most of the time, only relevant for modders themselves. it would be also easyer to find if someone already came up with a solution for a common problem
Like Puzzles? Escape The Dungeon

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

Re: [forum feature request] new forum board

by Sokomine » Post

Would be really nice to have a forum section for those. But we also need a way to easily distribute them (maybe with contentdb).
A list of my mods can be found here.

texmex
GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: tacotexmex

by texmex » Post

This calls for a definition of what an API/library mod is and isn't. It's a good opportunity to put forth a better modding standard as a whole.

I think certain standards should be enforced, such as a rule of no new content inside those mods. If an library author wants to create examples, an example mod is best used. I'm sure there are many ways of describing this dicotomy from other areas of the open source world.

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

I think that ContentDB solves this usecase in a much better way
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

Termos

by Termos » Post

ContentDB would be great if it wasn't so undermanned, which is obvious seeing how they shut down content after months of successful operation and then go all unresponsive about it.

texmex
GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: tacotexmex

by texmex » Post

Termos wrote:ContentDB would be great if it wasn't so undermanned, which is obvious seeing how they shut down content after months of successful operation and then go all unresponsive about it.
Really? That sounds a bit anecdotal to me.

Termos

by Termos » Post

texmex wrote:Really? That sounds a bit anecdotal to me.
Try searching for 'wildlife', it had been up and running since May.

ContentDB seems overmoderated for a site which operation relies on availability and whims of a single individual.
Sure, it's a nice to have but hardly the be-all end-all at its current state. It's existence is hardly an argument for turning down other ideas.
texmex wrote:This calls for a definition of what an API/library mod is and isn't.
This. There seems to be a lot of confusion here about what an API is.

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Termos wrote: ContentDB seems overmoderated for a site which operation relies on availability and whims of a single individual.
I have given permissions to 6 other people to allow them to moderate content, but I'm still the only person that checks it. I think I'll make an email notifier to bug these people when a package is ready

Having a high level of moderation was a requirement by celeron55. However, I think I'll relax things as the increased risk is basically negligible
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

sorcerykid
GitHub: sorcerykid
In-game: Nemo

by sorcerykid » Post

rubenwardy wrote: Having a high level of moderation was a requirement by celeron55. However, I think I'll relax things as the increased risk is basically negligible
What about having restrictions only for new users that have no submission history on the Content DB? Then once a user is proven to be trustworthy by having at least one approved submission, all future submissions will be approved automatically or at the very least might be subject to a shorter expiry in the mod queue (so, say, it will be approved by default if no moderator has rejected it within one week).

I feel like that would at least provide a happy medium for all involved, both the contributors, moderators, and celeron55.