[Mod] Nodes for Pixelart based on palettes [pixelart]

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

[Mod] Nodes for Pixelart based on palettes [pixelart]

by Linuxdirk » Post

Pixelart is a mod adding nodes grouped in color palettes to Minetest

Using the mod

The mod operates in two ways. In creative mode a player can take pixel (nodes) from the palette and place them in the world without any cost. For doing so the player needs to open the inventory and switch to the “Pixelart” tab and select one of the available palettes. Alternatively a custom Unified Inventory page or a node are available.

When the world does not run in creative mode taking pixels costs a base node. The name of the base node is shown to the player via a chat line. When a player has one of the defined base node taking out one pixel (node) from the palette is possible.

In both cases the player needs at least one free inventory slot where the node can be placed in.

Palettes

The built-in palettes all use Silver Sandstone as base node (default:silver_sandstone) when not in creative mode. All palettes are carefully created using original sources. Feel free to suggest interesting palettes for implementation.

The mod also allows using custom palettes on a per-world basis. Those custom palettes take precedence over the built-in palettes when having the same name as them. This allows overriding built-in palettes as well as removing them from the palettes list (see readme for more details).

Mod Meta

License: GPLv3 for code, CC-BY-SA for media
Dependencies: default (Minetest >= 5.0.0)
Download latest version: main.tar.gz
Source/issues/etc.: git.0x7be.net
Translations: English (default) and German
Last edited by Linuxdirk on Sun Jul 16, 2023 18:49, edited 2 times in total.

Linuxdirk

Re: [Mod] Nodes for Pixelart based on palettes [pixelart]

by Linuxdirk » Post

A breaking change happened!

Due to the implementation of opacity for the individual pixels (color opacity only, the base node stays fully opaque but the color opacity may vary if wanted by the palette designer) all nodes are now invalid because the opacity value is part of the node ID to allow multiple same colors with different opacity values.

It’s for the better of us all :) And … eh … it’s WIP after all …

New version is available via GIT and will be pushed through CDB when synchronized.

CalebJ
GitHub: KaylebJay
IRC: KaylebJay
In-game: CalebJ

by CalebJ » Post

+100000 for ATARI color palettes, that's just so cool. I'll have to try this out soon ... forget it, I mean right now. :-)

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

Glad you like it, but please wait with building because now that I think about it: Having the opacity value as part of the node ID might not be the best thing. I think I'll sacrifice having different nodes with same color but different opacity values for having "stable" node IDs regardless of opacity setting.

I'll update and push in a few hours when I'm home.

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

Okay, it is live. Another breaking change (sorry CalebJ). I reverted back to the opacity-less node IDs. Opacity can now be changed without making all nodes invalid. It’s also much cleaner now, internally :)

CalebJ
GitHub: KaylebJay
IRC: KaylebJay
In-game: CalebJ

by CalebJ » Post

Very good update! This is much better! But also a sad change ... because of my pixelart. But then again, hey, I've got my copy :D

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

Hah! :) It went a bit out of control but it is finally possible to configure all the things using world-specific customization files. If nothing was done with this functionality before then nothing has to be changed.

If there were made changes before those files have to be moved and updated to use the latest functionality. I tried to keep the changes to be fixable quite easy. The minimum changes are:

1. Custom world-specific palettes have to be located in ./worlds/worlddirectory/_pixelart/palettes now
2. Within the palettes definitions the colors entry has to be renamed to pixels.

Everything else is optional and very thoroughly documented in the overhauled custom palettes readme section.

After doing some more testing this will be pushed to the CDB but right now it is only available on GitLab.

Codesound

by Codesound » Post

Linux Mint 19.02 Cinnamom, Minetest 5.0.1, last Pixelart

Hi,

this is a beautiful mod that I used frequently..... thanks!

But when I reinstall minetest 5.0.1, this mod crashes minetest... this is the debug.txt:

Code: Select all

2019-10-12 12:17:51: ERROR[AsyncWorker-0]: servers.minetest.net/list?proto_version_min=37&proto_version_max=37 not found (Couldn't resolve host name) (response code 0)
2019-10-12 12:19:26: ACTION[Main]: Installed package to /home/kernel/.minetest/mods/pixelart
2019-10-12 12:20:08: ACTION[Main]: Installed package to /home/kernel/.minetest/mods/pixelart
2019-10-12 12:20:39: ACTION[Main]: Installed package to /home/kernel/.minetest/mods/petz
2019-10-12 12:22:25: ERROR[Main]: ModError: Failed to load and run script from /home/kernel/.minetest/mods/pixelart/init.lua:
2019-10-12 12:22:25: ERROR[Main]: ...kernel/.minetest/mods/pixelart/system/register_nodes.lua:69: attempt to call field 'color_values' (a nil value)
2019-10-12 12:22:25: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2019-10-12 12:22:25: ERROR[Main]: 	...kernel/.minetest/mods/pixelart/system/register_nodes.lua:69: in main chunk
2019-10-12 12:22:25: ERROR[Main]: 	[C]: in function 'dofile'
2019-10-12 12:22:25: ERROR[Main]: 	/home/kernel/.minetest/mods/pixelart/init.lua:45: in main chunk
2019-10-12 12:22:25: ERROR[Main]: Check debug.txt for details.
2019-10-12 12:22:25: ACTION[Main]: Server: Shutting down
how I fix this problem?

Thanks again

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

Codesound wrote:how I fix this problem?
You can’t :)

But I released a new version that should prevent this to happen. Just get the latest Git version or wait for the CDB to offer the update.

Codesound

by Codesound » Post

Linuxdirk wrote:
Codesound wrote:how I fix this problem?
You can’t :)

But I released a new version that should prevent this to happen. Just get the latest Git version or wait for the CDB to offer the update.
Thanks! Now works again!!! This is an another very beautiful mod! I love it!
Thanks again ALSO for your quick help!

R

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

Thanks, glad you like it :)

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

A quick update was made.

The mod is now compatible with 5.1.0. Namely the new formspec coordinates. I flagged the CDB version for 5.1+ but it should work with 5.0 versions, too, except the node formspec looking super weird. sfinv page and Unified Inventory page are not affected by that change because those pages use the version 1 formspec coordinates.

The functionality did not change since last release, so keeping the 5.0 version is absolutely fine.

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

Pixeling is free in 2020 … erm … Wait a second :D

What I meant was that the Pixelart mod is compatible with 5.2.x without any further changes. A properly flagged version will arrive via CDB shortly.

There is also a new built-in palette based on the famous animated RWBY series that finally puts pixel naming in place but I plan “outsourcing” palettes to keep the base small and flexible.