[macOS] Neoascetic's nightly builds and others

acheron

Re: [macOS] Neoascetic's nightly builds and others

by acheron » Post

The brew formula was updated with 5.0.1 25 days ago.
Or you can just do

Code: Select all

brew install minetest
, it’s up to you. ;P
Well, what should I say... thank you for the suggestion, but the initial question was
Is there any way to get the current "official release version" 5.0.1 without (and that's the important part of the question) this homebrew-stuff?
Nobody really answered that question, so I guess the answer is just plain "No". But thank you all for your suggestions! Let's see about this macports-stuff on my new machine...

texmex
GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: tacotexmex

by texmex » Post

Sorry, I overlooked the requirements. Why anyone would use macports when homebrew exists is beyond me since it’s basically the same thing, but I won’t judge.

The problem with MT for Mac is that an official release channel doesn’t exist for this platform. But like I said before, why not just download the readymade build from Neoascetic that matches the git commit of 5.0.1 in this case?

snoopy

by snoopy » Post

texmex wrote:Why anyone would use macports when homebrew exists is beyond me since it’s basically the same thing, but I won’t judge.
FOSS starts with "Free" and one should have the liberty of choice.

MacPorts and Homebrew as well as Fink are similar efforts and are optionial. One may consider MacPorts vs Homebrew or other discussions before chosing just either of these or none.

snoopy

by snoopy » Post

texmex wrote:The problem with MT for Mac is that an official release channel doesn’t exist for this platform. But like I said before, why not just download the readymade build from Neoascetic that matches the git commit of 5.0.1 in this case?
@texmex: Please, could you just provide a link for the download as mentioned by you?

IMHO the a.m. git commit of 5.0.1 in this case may not be easily found. A brief scan of the builds from Neoascetic only gave 5.1.0-dev variants around 2019-03-31 but I would be happy to be proven wrong.

cainram

by cainram » Post

I second this emotion. I keep my Macs as stock as possible and don't want to install any of these platforms. I just want to find the stable compiled .app file for 5.0.1. I don't know why this has been this way for so long. The Devs do really wonderful work and I LOVE Minetest. I'm spinning up an ubuntu server right now to replace my old instance and I need new clients for my daughters' computers. Can someone make this happen and post a link here? My kids and I thank you in advance.

texmex

by texmex » Post

cainram wrote:I second this emotion. I keep my Macs as stock as possible and don't want to install any of these platforms. I just want to find the stable compiled .app file for 5.0.1. I don't know why this has been this way for so long. The Devs do really wonderful work and I LOVE Minetest. I'm spinning up an ubuntu server right now to replace my old instance and I need new clients for my daughters' computers. Can someone make this happen and post a link here? My kids and I thank you in advance.
There's really no reason for MT devs not to provide official builds already since neoascetic has shown how to automate it (without Apple hardware at hand).

Here you go, the official Homebrew 5.0.1 version for direct download:

acheron

by acheron » Post

texmex, thank you so much! Awesome!

cainram

by cainram » Post

AWESOME. Thank you

gsbhasin123
GitHub: gsbhasin123
In-game: codic

by gsbhasin123 » Post

What bout MT 5.1.0? We got 5.0.1, now 5.1.0...

Zen

by Zen » Post

Might take a while. I'm getting errors with 5.0.1 building. So 5.1.0 will have to wait.

When I type: brew install minetest --build-from-source

I get an error message.

/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/include/c++/v1/cmath:325:9: error: no member named 'isunordered' in the global namespace
using ::isunordered;
      ~~^
13 errors generated.

texmex

by texmex » Post

Zen wrote:Might take a while. I'm getting errors with 5.0.1 building. So 5.1.0 will have to wait.

When I type: brew install minetest --build-from-source

I get an error message.

/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/include/c++/v1/cmath:325:9: error: no member named 'isunordered' in the global namespace
using ::isunordered;
      ~~^
13 errors generated.
Looks like you’re having Xcode issues.

Zen

by Zen » Post

I found a thread on the subject at the Cmake message boards, 19845.
But when I tried installing a previous version of Cmake on brew, it didn't work.
Got the same global namespace errors while compiling.

So I'm out.

Here's the untested 5.1.0 version of minetest.rb for the Formula folder.

class Minetest < Formula
  desc "Free, open source voxel game engine and game"
  homepage "https://www.minetest.net/"

stable do
    url "https://github.com/minetest/minetest/archive/5.1.0.tar.gz"
    sha256 "ca53975eecf6a39383040658f41d697c8d7f8d5fe9176460f564979c73b53906"

resource "minetest_game" do
      url "https://github.com/minetest/minetest_game/archive/5.1.0.tar.gz"
      sha256 "f165fac0081bf4797cf9094282cc25034b2347b3ea94e6bb8d9329c5ee63f41b"
    end
  end

bottle do
    sha256 "21668f152c915c3376690da7c99f4efddaf8dfb138c550322b40789d4a50173b" => :mojave
    sha256 "4d05b170855c4215a39ba37e520f4f338de88e6bef724ac7201683272f4c7fdf" => :high_sierra
    sha256 "5122d65cef9f5f63b3511f627e25408cadf8f0158c119262413a9e8b8666ddc5" => :sierra
  end

head do
    url "https://github.com/minetest/minetest.git"

resource "minetest_game" do
      url "https://github.com/minetest/minetest_game.git", :branch => "master"
    end
  end

depends_on "cmake" => :build
  depends_on "freetype"
  depends_on "gettext"
  depends_on "hiredis"
  depends_on "irrlicht"
  depends_on "jpeg"
  depends_on "leveldb"
  depends_on "libogg"
  depends_on "libvorbis"
  depends_on "luajit"
  depends_on "postgresql"
  depends_on "spatialindex"
  depends_on :x11

def install
    (buildpath/"games/minetest_game").install resource("minetest_game")

args = std_cmake_args - %w[-DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=None]
    args << "-DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release" << "-DBUILD_CLIENT=1" << "-DBUILD_SERVER=0"
    args << "-DENABLE_FREETYPE=1" << "-DCMAKE_EXE_LINKER_FLAGS='-L#{Formula["freetype"].opt_lib}'"
    args << "-DENABLE_GETTEXT=1" << "-DCUSTOM_GETTEXT_PATH=#{Formula["gettext"].opt_prefix}"

system "cmake", ".", *args
    system "make", "package"
    system "unzip", "minetest-*-osx.zip"
    prefix.install "minetest.app"
  end

def caveats
    <<~EOS
      Put additional subgames and mods into "games" and "mods" folders under
      "~/Library/Application Support/minetest/", respectively (you may have
      to create those folders first).

If you would like to start the Minetest server from a terminal, run
      "/Applications/minetest.app/Contents/MacOS/minetest --server".
    EOS
  end

test do
    #
    # --help and --version produce output directly.
    # --speedtests and --videomodes need user data directory in order to work.
    # --info and --trace need user data directory and will actually run the game.
    #
    # --run-unittests does not work for Homebrew.
    #
    # Debug File: all test information should wind up in here.
    #
    (testpath/"Library/Application Support/minetest/debug.txt").write("")
    system "#{prefix}/minetest.app/Contents/MacOS/minetest", "--speedtests"
  end
end

If you want to try brewing at home, make sure you have XQuartz installed.
Hint: Open the package to install by double clicking on it.

Hit go in the Finder menu and select Go To Folder and type in:

/usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Taps/homebrew/homebrew-core/Formula/minetest.rb

Replace the text inside the file, save, and then open the Terminal and enter:

brew upgrade minetest --build-from-source

Can guarantee it will work though.

gsbhasin123
GitHub: gsbhasin123
In-game: codic

by gsbhasin123 » Post

Hmm... Just actually build from source lol

warpnarget
In-game: warpnarget

by warpnarget » Post

the version on homebrew is 5.01 but 5.10 has been out a while

Zen

by Zen » Post

Yes. Compiling with a lower version of CMake and fixing the S64 incompatibility bug works.
But you cannot patch up Home-brew. Not sure how to import into Xcode yet. Here's the file:

Minetest 5.1.0.dmg

P. S. Not sure what versions of MacOs it works on.

texmex

by texmex » Post

The bug is already fixed, just compile with brew install minetest --HEAD.

iquoth
GitHub: kurzkopfgleitbeutler
In-game: leonie

by iquoth » Post

Apologies if this has been asked before.

I would like to install minetest 5.1.0 on macOS from homebrew, but I don't know how to do any of this technical stuff.

Could someone give a step-by-step guide on how to install a specific (newer) version of the minetest formula from brew?

What I think would be most helpful is a "how to update the minetest formula for noobs"-guide, with this, anyone could help keeping the formula up-to-date.

Alternatively, is there a way to do

$ brew install minetest --tag=5.1.0
where the tag value is any version without binaries that brew thinks is newer than the latest version with binaries?

Thank you for your help

warpnarget
In-game: warpnarget

by warpnarget » Post

Hey, is there a way to make minetest work better with retina displays? i have to get really close to signs or use binoculars in order to read them.

Conradish006
GitHub: Conradish006
IRC: Conradish006
In-game: Conradish006

by Conradish006 » Post

warpnarget wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 13:44
Hey, is there a way to make minetest work better with retina displays? i have to get really close to signs or use binoculars in order to read them.
Unfortunately, Minetest is made more for (insert potato PC meme here). And making a Minetest that runs at the native resolution of the 5K iMac which is 5120x2880 would not be very easy and somewhat worthless as 5K screens still aren't common.
cdb_ryxwFEXgcD4q

nn0ble
GitHub: nn0ble
IRC: nn0ble
In-game: nn0ble

by nn0ble » Post

I am trying to compile on MacOS Catalina but I am running into this error
Screen Shot 2020-12-11 at 12.14.58 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-12-11 at 12.14.58 PM.png (397.88 KiB) Viewed 4980 times

BirgitLachner
In-game: Bibs

by BirgitLachner » Post

Hi everybody,

ich try to use my Minetest-Server with a group of pupils and we have some problems.

For a MacUser he managed it to start Minetest but when logging in to the server, the programm does not finish the loading of the media.
The boy told me, as he stoped the software he could see something from the server but when starting again, it hangs again at the same downloading situation.

Any idea for that?

Thanks , Birgit

ulrich1000
In-game: uli1000

by ulrich1000 » Post

Hi,
I love minetest and use it in education a lot. But as a Mac user I repeatedly ran into the problem, that installation with homebrew is to complicated for workshop participants (and if I am in a hurry me).
So I use the lovely https://github.com/neoascetic/minetest/releases but the last build is from 2020.
Could anyone create a newer build.
And a link on https://www.minetest.net/downloads/ to a current built would be great as so others can have to opportunity to use that easy solution to install minetest without installing two other programs they might not use otherwise and having to use terminal, which they might not be familiar with.

Thank you very much!

snoopy

MT 5.6.1_1 - Re: [macOS] Neoascetic's nightly builds and others

by snoopy » Post

Hi,

Please be aware of MT 5.6.1_1 and the new topic "[macOS / Mac OS X] minetest port [MacPorts]" and give it a try.

Myself was using these builds and Neoascetic's nightly builds in particular in my early endeavours with Minetest in the past. However, due to quite early similar issues as observed by @ulrich1000 apparently does today, myself changed to MacPorts for some time already and became happy (see my signature).
ulrich1000 wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:24
Hi,
I love minetest and use it in education a lot. But as a Mac user I repeatedly ran into the problem, that installation with homebrew is to complicated for workshop participants (and if I am in a hurry me).
So I use the lovely https://github.com/neoascetic/minetest/releases but the last build is from 2020.
Could anyone create a newer build.
And a link on https://www.minetest.net/downloads/ to a current built would be great as so others can have to opportunity to use that easy solution to install minetest without installing two other programs they might not use otherwise and having to use terminal, which they might not be familiar with.

Thank you very much!
@ulrich1000 - Being on Mac OS X / macOS platform besides Homebrew and Fink there is always the opportunity to give MacPorts a try, I presume.
snoopy wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 13:06
Hi,

@Jordach - THX for your endeavour and kind explanations on Homebrew in particular.

@ZAAo - Besides Homebrew and Fink there is always the opportunity to give MacPorts a try, I presume.
ZAAo wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:51

Thanks Jordach. I'm trying to help one of my students to get Minetest up and running on their MacBook Air (Intel Core i5 processor), which is running macOS 10.12.6 Sierra.

Do you (or anyone else on this thread) perhaps have a Minetest 5.5.1 build yet, which would run on it?

I already tried using HomeBrew on that particular MacBook, but ran into various problems. If Minetest binaries that would run on it are already available it would really help a lot and I would be much appreciative! If not, I will try to compile it using your guide :-)
IMO you should consider the current (i.e. new revision 1) MT 5.6.1 "minetest" port at MacPorts and try this on your platforms.
Zweihorn wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 09:25
Hi,

Just recently I became the new maintainer to the "minetest" port at MacPorts.

Quickstart

Just apply the one-line command as sudo port install minetest to the Terminal (i.e. the macOS CLI) for install.

Introduction

Have a look at:
Have fun!
AFAIK the code base of the MacPorts Project tends to be quite stable and mature. The project always aims at supporting the most current macOS including established macOS versions and legacy mac OS / MAC OS X versions in particular.

IMO should have a read at the new topic "[macOS / Mac OS X] minetest port [MacPorts]" for further details and give it a try.

Good luck and have fun.
The same applies here:

IMO should have a read at the new topic "[macOS / Mac OS X] minetest port [MacPorts]" and give it a try.
Last edited by snoopy on Thu Jan 05, 2023 13:21, edited 3 times in total.

snoopy

by snoopy » Post

Hi,

IMO this was an excellent question:
BirgitLachner wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 15:48
Hi everybody,

ich try to use my Minetest-Server with a group of pupils and we have some problems.
Moved my reply into another topic where it should be better placed, I presume.

The answer for a MacOS X / macOS platform with Minetest by MacPorts would be:
Hope this helps to keep this topic clean.
Last edited by snoopy on Mon Jan 23, 2023 09:37, edited 3 times in total.

snoopy

by snoopy » Post

BirgitLachner wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 15:48
Hi everybody,

However, the more general issue, which @BirgitLachner was addressing, remains and certainly would be:
The a.m. topic was generally answered in due time. However, this needs the understanding of the MT world file structure in general and the knowledge of the design of Appication packages on the macOS system platform.

IMO this could be presumably somehow improved by an enhancement to the MT port by moving the minetestserver to /opt/local/bin/ or similiar and providing some more accessible path for either the logs or the complete world file structure or both. New maintainer and new "job" in the queue one could say.