Minetest 5.1.0

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

Re: Minetest 5.1.0

by Wuzzy » Post

even if it is only made for 5.0.0 according to the forum post.
Of course, Repixture works in 5.1.0, too. It clearly says “5.0.0 or later”. I didn't need to make any compability fixes after 5.1.0 came out.
I wonder if this can be turned off
I believe it can. Set debug_log_size_max to -1.

sfan5
GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

Re: Review of 5.1.0

by sfan5 » Post

Wuzzy wrote:
Punchwear
I have no idea how it works, to be honest. How is it calculated? Can I, as a modder, control/tweak punchwear in any way? Haven't found anything in lua_api.txt yet.
Search for punch_attack_uses in the documentation.
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke & Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

v-rob
Developer
GitHub: v-rob
IRC: v-rob

by v-rob » Post

Linuxdirk wrote:Yes. The coordinates are now different, but not necessarily better/cleaner if you have complex formspecs. I recently converted all mTimer formspecs to version 2 coordinates and it was just replacing one mess with another mess.
But, it's consistent. No more guess-and-check. That's the real reason I made it. I considered adding automatic padding, but the PR was taking forever as it was and I decided that you can use containers for that.
Linuxdirk wrote:Yeah :( Still no scrollable inventories or button lists. Only super weird scrollbars no-one understands.
With https://github.com/minetest/minetest/pull/8591 and https://github.com/minetest/minetest/pull/8530, scrollable things (including, but not limited to, inventories) will be possible in the near future.
Core Developer | My Best Mods: Bridger - Slats - Stained Glass

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

v-rob wrote:No more guess-and-check.
You wish :D I had to guess and check all coordinates. Especially labels and correct positioning of boxes and containers.
v-rob wrote:With https://github.com/minetest/minetest/pull/8591 and https://github.com/minetest/minetest/pull/8530, scrollable things (including, but not limited to, inventories) will be possible in the near future.
So I can simply add, let’s say, a 20*70 large inventory in a 4*6 large container and get automatically scrollbars so players can scroll around this absurdly large inventory I just made up for the example?

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Linuxdirk wrote:So I can simply add, let’s say, a 20*70 large inventory in a 4*6 large container and get automatically scrollbars so players can scroll around this absurdly large inventory I just made up for the example?
It's so you can have a 5*70 inventory in a 5*6 inventory. Having two axes of scrolling is a terrible idea, this would be more for creating custom list-like elements. I plan to use it in my menu redesign to list games with screenshots and such
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

rubenwardy wrote:It's so you can have a 5*70 inventory in a 5*6 inventory. Having two axes of scrolling is a terrible idea,
Of course it is. Except 2-axis scrolling being a terrible idea: would it – in theory – possible? Or in other words: Are we limited to up-down scrolling or are interfaces with left-right scrolling are possible, too?
rubenwardy wrote:this would be more for creating custom list-like elements. I plan to use it in my menu redesign to list games with screenshots and such
Almost everything benefits from this. All craftguides would greatly improve if they do not have to re-implement pagination all the time. All inventory lists would benefit from it for the same reason. Even Minetest Game creative inventory would benefit from it.

v-rob
Developer

by v-rob » Post

Both horizontal and vertical are possible at the same time. If I remember correctly, you have to place one scroll_container within another and bind it to two scrollbars, but it might be possible with only one.

And as for guess-and-check, I meant you know that a button at (1,1), a field at (1,1), or a dropdown at (1,1), etc., it will be in the exact same place, as well as things like normal buttons, tab bars, and dropdowns having changeable heights. So no guess-and-check basically means that you don't have to guess and add and subtract weird coeffiecients and use multiplication just to get your button in line with your field.

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

v-rob wrote:So no guess-and-check basically means that you don't have to guess and add and subtract weird coeffiecients and use multiplication just to get your button in line with your field.
This is exactly what I had to do. Just with different coordinates like before.

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Linuxdirk wrote: This is exactly what I had to do. Just with different coordinates like before.
This isn't true, the coordinates are all exactly the same on different elements meaning that using the exact same cooridinates will place a button inline with a field.

I would like to add containers which automatically do padding and stacking for you, as manually adding 0.375 padding and 0.25 spacing isn't very fun. But the new system is a great improvement on the old

Hello profile reader

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

rubenwardy wrote:This isn't true, the coordinates are all exactly the same on different elements.
Dude, just look at my friggin code. I linked the diff some posts ago.

v-rob
Developer

by v-rob » Post

These are two formspecs with the exact same elements with the same positional numbers except that the second one has real_coordinates[true].

They most definitely have consistent coordinates now.

Code: Select all

minetest.register_chatcommand("f1", {
	func = function()
		minetest.show_formspec("singleplayer", "test:2", [[
			size[5,3]
			field[1,1;3,1;x;Old Coordinates;]
			button[1,2;3,1;;Button]
		]])
	end
})

minetest.register_chatcommand("f2", {
	func = function()
		minetest.show_formspec("singleplayer", "test:1", [[
			size[5,4]
			real_coordinates[true]
			field[1,1;3,1;x;Real Coordinates;]
			button[1,2;3,1;;Button]
		]])
	end
})
Attachments
comparison.png
comparison.png (134.02 KiB) Viewed 11746 times

ShallowDweller

by ShallowDweller » Post

Forgive the noob question, but is the copy of minetest provided in the 1st post's links using LuaJIT with the GC64 variant? I don't know how to check this myself...

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

v-rob wrote:They most definitely have consistent coordinates now.
I never said they have not, but you had a look at my code, right? It’s better overall with the coordinates, but still messy. At least I was able to eleminate all 3 digit decimals.

sfan5
GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

by sfan5 » Post

ShallowDweller wrote:Forgive the noob question, but is the copy of minetest provided in the 1st post's links using LuaJIT with the GC64 variant? I don't know how to check this myself...
Yes, since 5.0 the official builds come with gc64-enabled LuaJIT.
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke & Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

Miniontoby
GitHub: Miniontoby
IRC: Miniontoby
In-game: Miniontoby

by Miniontoby » Post

Please make that this csm mod does work viewtopic.php?f=53&t=22790
Working on mtctl ---- Check my mod "Doorbell" -- Stay safe

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Post

Miniontoby this is the wrong place to report what is probably a mod error, contact the mod author first, the mod may need fixing.

Miniontoby
GitHub: Miniontoby
IRC: Miniontoby
In-game: Miniontoby

by Miniontoby » Post

But the mod author doesn't know the solution and the error is began since the newest version of minetest 5.1.0
Working on mtctl ---- Check my mod "Doorbell" -- Stay safe

ShallowDweller

by ShallowDweller » Post

What kinds of mods got broken with this new version? And how long do we have before depends.txt is no longer accepted by the engine? Thanks in advance (so I won't get paranoid about not having posted a reply to just say "thanks" without adding anything to the discussion)
sfan5 wrote:
ShallowDweller wrote:Forgive the noob question, but is the copy of minetest provided in the 1st post's links using LuaJIT with the GC64 variant? I don't know how to check this myself...
Yes, since 5.0 the official builds come with gc64-enabled LuaJIT.
Thanks! And sorry for the late reply...

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

ShallowDweller wrote:What kinds of mods got broken with this new version? And how long do we have before depends.txt is no longer accepted by the engine? Thanks in advance (so I won't get paranoid about not having posted a reply to just say "thanks" without adding anything to the discussion)
No mods were intentionally broken as this isn't a breaking release. The next breaking release will be called 6.0.0, if it happens. Note that the exception to this are experimental APIs, such as client-side modding, which aren't officially supported yet so can be broken at anytime

Depends.txt will be supported for a very long time, and can't be removed before 6.0.0 anyway as it is a breaking change

Hello profile reader

ShallowDweller

by ShallowDweller » Post

rubenwardy wrote:
ShallowDweller wrote:What kinds of mods got broken with this new version? And how long do we have before depends.txt is no longer accepted by the engine? Thanks in advance (so I won't get paranoid about not having posted a reply to just say "thanks" without adding anything to the discussion)
No mods were intentionally broken as this isn't a breaking release. The next breaking release will be called 6.0.0, if it happens. Note that the exception to this are experimental APIs, such as client-side modding, which aren't officially supported yet so can be broken at anytime

Depends.txt will be supported for a very long time, and can't be removed before 6.0.0 anyway as it is a breaking change
I see... good to know. Thanks!
Aaand good luck to the CSM developers.

Nordal
GitHub: Nordall

by Nordal » Post

I suppose there are major changes made concerning depth where different ores appear.
Iron cannot be found over ca. -100. I could not find any diamond and mese though I dig currently at -350.
I chose the valleys mapgen. Maybe it's because of this, or is the depth the same in all mapgen? This is what I thought so far.
Can anyone tell me the current depths since when the different ores occur?

I think it's a good idea to update the Ore Overview. https://wiki.minetest.net/Ores
CFS - still widely unknown

Hamlet
IRC: H4mlet
In-game: Hamlet

by Hamlet » Post

Nordal wrote:I suppose there are major changes made concerning depth where different ores appear.
[...]
Can anyone tell me the current depths since when the different ores occur?
https://github.com/minetest/minetest_ga ... mapgen.lua

For in-game informations try this: https://content.minetest.net/packages/T ... /ore_info/

I think that it may also depend on which biome you are in.
My repositories: Codeberg.org | My ContentDB's page

Nordal

by Nordal » Post

Ah, cool, thanks, Hamlet. Exactly the infos I was looking for!

I like the idea of an EDIT: in-game /EDIT ore_info. A really inventiv mod. At first brief insight the data seems to be not in any case 100% corresponding to the mapgen list's data. Minor mistakes, if at all.
Last edited by Nordal on Wed Dec 11, 2019 07:09, edited 1 time in total.

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Post

Nordal,
In all mapgens except V6, many ores are deeper, many are twice as deep. The depths were also rationalised in several ways and are now in order of ore value.
Depths do not depend on what biome you are in. However, there are no ores in desert stone and sandstone, which extend to roughly y = -256.
Mapgen V6 has unchanged ore depths.
In that mapgen.lua file of MTGame, keep in mind there are 2 ore registration sections, one is for mapgen V6.

Nordal

by Nordal » Post

Thank you, paramat, for your infos. It just makes more sense to have indications where to search ores. And I definitely realized now that V6 is a special case. :)