BuckarooBanzay
GitHub: BuckarooBanzay
IRC: BuckarooBanzai
In-game: BuckarooBanzai

[mod] epic

by BuckarooBanzay » Post

e.p.i.c.

Enhanced Programmer for Ingame Control

Create and program missions or quests by placing and configuring blocks.

Replaces my "mission" mod: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=20125

Overview

Allows you to create interactive missions/quests or riddles just by placing blocks next to each other.
There is a simple branching system to allow for multiple outcomes: for example if waypoint A is triggered spawn a monster, if waypoint B is triggered, give 10 diamond blocks...

State

Works pretty well but documentation lacks currently behind.

For an example, see the "Damocles" Server: "Super Sam" Level in the "Developers" Section.
A pretty basic documentation (only pics with a few words) can be found here: https://github.com/damocles-minetest/ep ... example.md

Links
Features
  • Create missions or quests with player interaction
  • Audio and Visual effects (skybox, background-sounds, etc)
  • Environment manipulation (set node, remove node)
  • Inventory manipulation
  • Waypoints
  • Teleporting
  • Spawn mobs
  • Send messages
  • Execute commands
  • Simple control flow (no lua coding needed)
  • Conditional branching (for example: "if player is *there* then execute *that*")
  • 3rd-party mod integrations (mobs, signs, mesecons)
Portability

All coordinates are stored relative in the blocks. This makes it possible to copy your creations in the same or across worlds with WorldEdit or a similar tool.

TODO
  • Documentation
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Not active here anymore, contact me on the minetest discord, irc, lemmy or github (for programming issues)

Coder12

Re: [mod] epic

by Coder12 » Post

Totally gonna try this mod out. :)

BuckarooBanzay

by BuckarooBanzay » Post

Coder12 wrote:Totally gonna try this mod out. :)
Don't expect too much, its still a WIP mod... ;)
If you encounter any errors or have suggestions, please post them here.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Not active here anymore, contact me on the minetest discord, irc, lemmy or github (for programming issues)

Coder12

by Coder12 » Post

Okey dokey.

BuckarooBanzay

by BuckarooBanzay » Post

Update 2019-10-31

Red_King_Cyclops

by Red_King_Cyclops » Post

This mod looks like it could be useful for making adventure maps. For example, the alien block could spawn a boss monster like a Dungeon Master of any of the creatures from NSSM.
Currently working on new mods.

BuckarooBanzay

by BuckarooBanzay » Post

Red_King_Cyclops wrote:This mod looks like it could be useful for making adventure maps. For example, the alien block could spawn a boss monster like a Dungeon Master of any of the creatures from NSSM.
Yes, thats the idea, i even started a minigame-server with that mod as "engine" ;)

About the mobs: All mobs_redo mobs should work out of the box, the NSSM variants i haven't tested yet...

BuckarooBanzay

by BuckarooBanzay » Post

Update 2019-12-07

Content-DB: https://content.minetest.net/packages/B ... nzay/epic/
  • Added Save/Loadgame feature
  • Added Review block (A player can give 1-5 stars for the quest/mission)
  • Added mesecons compatibility (mob/additem blocks can be triggered with mesecons)
  • Added lightning support
  • Various fixes
  • Updated docs: https://github.com/damocles-minetest/ep ... /readme.md

Lone_Wolf
GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: LandarVargan
In-game: LandarVargan

by Lone_Wolf » Post

This is neat!
My ContentDB -|- Working on CaptureTheFlag -|- Minetest Forums Dark Theme!! (You need it)

Lone_Wolf

by Lone_Wolf » Post

Gravity is messed up by this. Not sure where you code it but I think you set 9.8 instead of 1 somewhere.
Also: So far the only block I'm really confused about is the branch one, and I think it'll be very useful to me lol
My ContentDB -|- Working on CaptureTheFlag -|- Minetest Forums Dark Theme!! (You need it)

BuckarooBanzay

by BuckarooBanzay » Post

Lone_Wolf wrote:Gravity is messed up by this. Not sure where you code it but I think you set 9.8 instead of 1 somewhere.
Do you mean in single-player? Can you give me a repro of this, haven't experienced that yet.. :/
Lone_Wolf wrote: Also: So far the only block I'm really confused about is the branch one, and I think it'll be very useful to me lol
I started a manual here:
https://github.com/damocles-minetest/ep ... .md#manual

The branch block is a bit explained in the example quest:
https://github.com/damocles-minetest/ep ... example.md

You can also check the "Super sam" mission on the Damocles server, there is a hidden cave branch that gets triggered if the player finds the entry ;)

It basically checks the condition-blocks to the right and continues to the first block where the condition matches first.
Its pretty useful for waypoints (or hidden ones) where you want to trigger some action depending on the player position. It can also be used to check for a mesecons-condition or randomized quests with the "random" block...

Lone_Wolf

by Lone_Wolf » Post

BuckarooBanzay wrote:Do you mean in single-player? Can you give me a repro of this, haven't experienced that yet.. :/
Get the epic:epic block, set the main function to some random node and start it. You should see your gravity become 10x (9.8x to be specific) stronger

Also: thanks for the link, I'm confident I know how to use branch blocks now

BuckarooBanzay

by BuckarooBanzay » Post

There is now a library of the epic mod available with a few examples (at the "Damocles" server):

Directions: Use the telemosaic at the /center behind the news board

ulla
GitHub: IIIullaIII
IRC: ulla
In-game: ulla

by ulla » Post

Hi how to get the sound block? it's not in the inventory and I can't get it even with / giveme epic: play_sound
is it a bug or my mistake?
on_abort and on_exit missed too
X4cna2d4UqsiawIzUumDgPoYNx3JLGII

ulla

by ulla » Post

i have download all depends optional too, but nothing appened i have see in your server you have 52 epic block Image
me only 35
Last edited by ulla on Wed Apr 29, 2020 16:07, edited 1 time in total.

BuckarooBanzay

by BuckarooBanzay » Post

ulla wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:42
i have download all depends optional too, but nothing appened i have see in your server you have 52 epic block Image
me only 35
Interesting, did you download it from the content-db or from the git-url?
I may have to update the Version in the content-db...

ulla

by ulla » Post

BuckarooBanzay wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 16:01
ulla wrote:
me only 35

both, now check if minetest has downloaded the old version m it seems strange to me as I see the speaker textures in the folder, then looking at the code I understood that it needed the mod soundbloks that I downloaded but it still does not appear epic: soundblock
on the server I installed it from online content directly with minetest
on this other pc, I downloaded it from here but they are the same

ulla

by ulla » Post

BuckarooBanzay wrote:
ulla wrote:
me only 35

I redownloaded the mod from contend db manually but I always have 35
blocks
lol i have see after now i try redownload from github :-P
ps: is this the soundblocks addiction?

viewtopic.php?t=16619

ulla

by ulla » Post

ulla wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 16:55
BuckarooBanzay wrote:
ulla wrote:
me only 35

I redownloaded the mod from contend db manually but I always have 35
blocks
lol i have see after now i try redownload from github :-P
ps: is this the soundblocks addiction?

viewtopic.php?t=16619
now i have 40 block

pampogokiraly
In-game: i_love_mesecon

by pampogokiraly » Post

This mod looks cool but i understand absolutely nothing about it :/

Can't wait for the documentation XD
All praise the Bacon God! The one and only god in MineTest

ulla

by ulla » Post

pampogokiraly wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 19:35
This mod looks cool but i understand absolutely nothing about it :/

Can't wait for the documentation XD
is simple for see some you visit
Damocles server
or my server:-P
ITALIAN ULLA SERVER

ulla

by ulla » Post

The armor check doesn't want to work, I used it as an inventory check, but it doesn't see the armor in the inventory I tried with and without, but always returned empty

Diomède
In-game: Diomede

by Diomède » Post

Hello guys,

I posted a similar message in the AdvancedNPC thread (viewtopic.php?f=9&t=17918&p=384236#p384236).
I just would like to make sure that somebody is still around here on E.P.I.C. (@BuckarooBanray ?) and could eventually help on adjustments with the mod, just in case it's required (it probably will be).

Here's the project :
I work in a fablab, and we kind of team up with schools to offer activities to children in both Minecraft and the real world. They have to go through various quests and switch between the game and other places to interact with (museums, historic spots... you know, various cultural places). We were using BetonQuest for Minecraft with some Arduino stuff and it was working fine.
BUT NOW we have to switch to Minetest (whatever is the reason, it's a good one).

SO :
I am thinking about using AdvancedNPC in combination with E.P.I.C., as a replacement for BetonQuest.
In particular, BetonQuest allows the use of NPC dialogues to walk through the steps of a quest, which is pretty much what we want from an RPG-like quest system.
Since AdvancedNPC is one of the rare mods (if not the only one in the ContentDB) to include dialogues with NPC, I think the potential is huge if it's combined with a quest framework.
E.P.I.C. is of course more basic than BetonQuest, but if a right-click on a cube executes a command, then it could be an opening for anything new (triggering NPC dialogues, hm?).

We already have several quests for BetonQuest in .yml (using mainly dialogues of course), plus all the arduino stuff, plus a plugin for holocaustin... local-hosting all of that.
So if you're still in, please just answer me here. You might already have a better sense than mine of what's possible with your mod, and how I could make my way through.
I'll play your mod a bit more this afternoon.

Huge thanks for your answer !

BuckarooBanzay

by BuckarooBanzay » Post

Diomède wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:44
Hello guys,

I posted a similar message in the AdvancedNPC thread (viewtopic.php?f=9&t=17918&p=384236#p384236).
I just would like to make sure that somebody is still around here on E.P.I.C. (@BuckarooBanray ?) and could eventually help on adjustments with the mod, just in case it's required (it probably will be).

Here's the project :
I work in a fablab, and we kind of team up with schools to offer activities to children in both Minecraft and the real world. They have to go through various quests and switch between the game and other places to interact with (museums, historic spots... you know, various cultural places). We were using BetonQuest for Minecraft with some Arduino stuff and it was working fine.
BUT NOW we have to switch to Minetest (whatever is the reason, it's a good one).

SO :
I am thinking about using AdvancedNPC in combination with E.P.I.C., as a replacement for BetonQuest.
In particular, BetonQuest allows the use of NPC dialogues to walk through the steps of a quest, which is pretty much what we want from an RPG-like quest system.
Since AdvancedNPC is one of the rare mods (if not the only one in the ContentDB) to include dialogues with NPC, I think the potential is huge if it's combined with a quest framework.
E.P.I.C. is of course more basic than BetonQuest, but if a right-click on a cube executes a command, then it could be an opening for anything new (triggering NPC dialogues, hm?).

We already have several quests for BetonQuest in .yml (using mainly dialogues of course), plus all the arduino stuff, plus a plugin for holocaustin... local-hosting all of that.
So if you're still in, please just answer me here. You might already have a better sense than mine of what's possible with your mod, and how I could make my way through.
I'll play your mod a bit more this afternoon.

Huge thanks for your answer !
Hey, sounds interesting.
I've had that idea since the beginning and wanted to make a separate mod back then (https://github.com/damocles-minetest/epic/issues/4).
I also had issues on how to integrate that properly, how do you start a conversation, how do you link npcs/entities to existing conversations/code-blocks, etc.

Can you elaborate a bit more how that works in the Minecraft world? Maybe i can re-use a few ideas from there ;)

Diomède
In-game: Diomede

by Diomède » Post

BuckarooBanzay wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 19:30

Hey, sounds interesting.
I've had that idea since the beginning and wanted to make a separate mod back then (https://github.com/damocles-minetest/epic/issues/4).
I also had issues on how to integrate that properly, how do you start a conversation, how do you link npcs/entities to existing conversations/code-blocks, etc.

Can you elaborate a bit more how that works in the Minecraft world? Maybe i can re-use a few ideas from there ;)
Hey, that's good to hear.
If you look at the BetonQuest wiki, you'll see that they did a pretty big job. Fortunately, we don't need everything.

More precisely, we use the main features and proceed this way :
1. Writing a dialogue between the Player and different NPCs
2. Offering one or more possible Player answers for each line of dialogue sent by the NPC.
3. Using the dialogues to :
- trigger events,
- launch quests (with objectives),
- insert conditions, such as tags to make the dialogues resume at the desired line. In particular, we do not want to restart an NPC's dialogue from the beginning after the Player accomplishes an objective (= we add to the Player the tag "step2" for example),
- ...and other stuff, but that's not the core.

For precise documentation :
There should be several types of events : https://betonquest.github.io/BetonQuest ... ents-List/
Quests can have multiple objectives : https://betonquest.github.io/BetonQuest ... ives-List/
There are also many types of conditions, to easily enhance the mod drastically : https://betonquest.github.io/BetonQuest ... ions-List/
And, icing on the cake: it is possible to insert block orders.

NB: the BetonQuest plugin works with another plugin, Citizens, which manages NPCs.