[Mod] Real Compass [realcompass]

kestral
GitHub: kestral246

[Mod] Real Compass [realcompass]

by kestral » Post

Real Compass

This mod tries to address what the "real" essence of being a compass is all about.

No options, no gui's, no bookmarks, just an animated needle that always points to the north.

This version is based on compassgps, with changes to just point north and the removal of all
its other features. The only other change I made was, that since compasses are typically
divided up in 1/4th, 1/8th, and 1/16th divisions, I updated it to point in 16 directions rather
than the original 12.

Same crafting recipe as most of the other compass versions, so it's probably not compatible with them.

Edit: I used to always install this mod, but now I use my hud_compass mod. It provides a compass and a clock that's always available when needed, without having to deal with inventories or crafting.

License: CC0
Optional dependencies: default (Only for crafting recipe.)
Code and documentation: https://github.com/kestral246/realcompass
Download: https://github.com/kestral246/realcompa ... master.zip

Thanks
This mod is basically compassgps with 90% of its code ripped out, so I can't take much credit.
That belongs to Echo, PilzAdams, TeTpaAka, and Kilarin. I was just standing on their shoulders.
Last edited by kestral on Mon Dec 30, 2019 18:48, edited 2 times in total.

Stix
IRC: nil
In-game: Stix [+alts]

Re: [Mod] Real Compass [realcompass]

by Stix » Post

Sorry, but this mod is useless. By enabling debug-info players can already tell what direction they're facing, and without using one direction as a reference to find the others, as it specifies your direction directly. Sorry.
Hey, what can i say? I'm the bad guy.

ChimneySwift
GitHub: ChimneySwift
IRC: ChimneySwift
In-game: ChimneySwift

by ChimneySwift » Post

Stix wrote:Sorry, but this mod is useless. By enabling debug-info players can already tell what direction they're facing, and without using one direction as a reference to find the others, as it specifies your direction directly. Sorry.
I disagree, debug info is ugly and hard to read at a glance :D

This is much nicer:
A spoon is basically a tiny bowl with a stick on it

jas
IRC: Freenode

by jas » Post

Thanks for the screenshot, it's what was missing from the main post. Good job on the mod. I can't tell from the screenshot whether there's a wield image that's constantly changing; I'm imagining that it's an invisible wield_image.

ChimneySwift
GitHub: ChimneySwift
IRC: ChimneySwift
In-game: ChimneySwift

by ChimneySwift » Post

jas wrote:I can't tell from the screenshot whether there's a wield image that's constantly changing; I'm imagining that it's an invisible wield_image.
The wield image does change, but that is one possible complaint, with the wield image constantly changing it does that item swapping animation thing a whole lot, which looks a bit silly. It might be better to have no wield image.

The compass also doesn't care if you're holding it or not, it'll update wherever it is in your inventory. I'm not sure though, does it only check the first 8 slots? if not this might be an area for performance improvement.
A spoon is basically a tiny bowl with a stick on it

Hume2
GitHub: Hume2
In-game: Hume2

by Hume2 » Post

Good mod, I always wanted a compass like that. Just the textures could be better.
If you lack the reality, go on a trip or find a job.

texmex
GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: tacotexmex

by texmex » Post

Just use my textures from ccompass, they’re CC-BY-SA.

kestral

by kestral » Post

I updated the textures to ones derived from texmex's vastly superior textures from ccompass. I hope you don't mind, but I changed the colors with the idea that realcompass could be used with ccompass to provide their different features.

I also went back to the original 12 directions, since I couldn't come up with a 16-direction version that had as smooth and even of an animation.

As always, this remains a single-feature mod that just points north.

Stix
IRC: nil
In-game: Stix [+alts]

by Stix » Post

ChimneySwift wrote:
Stix wrote:Sorry, but this mod is useless. By enabling debug-info players can already tell what direction they're facing, and without using one direction as a reference to find the others, as it specifies your direction directly. Sorry.
I disagree, debug info is ugly and hard to read at a glance :D

This is much nicer:
The top end of the square minimap is north no matter which direction your pointing, but i can see how some ppl like this.
Hey, what can i say? I'm the bad guy.

texmex
GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: tacotexmex

by texmex » Post

kestral wrote:I updated the textures to ones derived from texmex's vastly superior textures from ccompass. I hope you don't mind, but I changed the colors with the idea that realcompass could be used with ccompass to provide their different features.

I also went back to the original 12 directions, since I couldn't come up with a 16-direction version that had as smooth and even of an animation.

As always, this remains a single-feature mod that just points north.
Looks good, kestral! Legally I CAN’T even mind ;)

The only thing I would change additionally is the slight mese tint on the face of the compass, since the needle is no longer mese. :)

kestral

by kestral » Post

Following in the footsteps of Calibrated Compass, I've converted realcompass to go back to using 16 directions instead of 12.

In addition, to be usable with games like nodecore, the default mod is now just an optional dependency—only used to define the crafting recipe.

I've also finally removed the mese tint from the background, which should make texmex happy.

Here's what realcompass now looks like—I've slightly shortened the compass needles compared to texmex's new ccompass textures:

Attachments
New realcompass textures.
New realcompass textures.
realcompass16.gif (35.63 KiB) Viewed 1275 times

kestral

by kestral » Post

Since there apparently can't be enough compass mods, I've created an alternate version of my realcompass mod. Instead of going through all the trouble of creating and cycling through inventory objects, this mod just draws the realcompass textures at the bottom right corner of the screen.

I call it hud_compass and it can be found at: https://github.com/kestral246/hud_compass

Display of the compass is optional and can be toggled by using the chat command: "/compass"

ShadMOrdre

by ShadMOrdre » Post

kestral,

HUD compass. This is the best implementation yet. And I've not even downloaded or used the mod.

Would you be willing to also tackle another HUD friendly idea? It would be nice to have gauges for temp and humidity. Even if a separate mod.

Shad

Kilarin
GitHub: Kilarin

by Kilarin » Post

avoids the whole wield image problem.
ChimneySwift wrote:with the wield image constantly changing it does that item swapping animation thing a whole lot, which looks a bit silly.
If anyone ever finds a solution to this, please let me know!

j0j0n4th4n

by j0j0n4th4n » Post

Would it be possible to register the compass as a node and change the inventory item instead of registering multiple different tools for each rotation?
cdb_894a100ddd76

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

by Blockhead » Post

j0j0n4th4n wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 00:30
Would it be possible to register the compass as a node and change the inventory item instead of registering multiple different tools for each rotation?
That approach would only work in a singleplayer game, otherwise everyone's compasses would be going haywire in multiplayer. Also, overriding items after game start should probably be generally frowned upon. You can't set a custom inventory image on a specific stack as far as I know, only the fields in Item Metadata such as description, colour, count meta and so on.
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂

j0j0n4th4n

by j0j0n4th4n » Post

Also, overriding items after game start should probably be generally frowned upon. You can't set a custom inventory image on a specific stack as far as I know, only the fields in Item Metadata such as description, colour, count meta and so on.
Well, that is really unfortunate then. The only other possible solution I can think is to use Noodlemire lua_inv mod.
cdb_894a100ddd76