Minetest mod that integrates with Code.org et al

sirrobzeroone
GitHub: sirrobzeroone

Minetest mod that integrates with Code.org et al

by sirrobzeroone » Post

My step son (9) has a bit of an interest in learning to code, however keeping his attention for more 30mins can be a bit of a challenge.

Anyways for the moment I've been using makecode w/ minecraft but the performance is less than great - It has one of those visual gui programming interfaces to make things easier for kids. Code.org and tynker have similar interfaces but it provides an immediate feedback for him in game and hence keeps his attention longer.

Is there a mod like this for minetest? I much prefer the minetest engine especially lately as its much softer on hardware requirements than were minecraft has/is moving to. Later on I can just dump him into a text editor but for the moment the colorful gui overlay helps eg:

he's working on code were the agent auto builds a small fort for him.
Attachments
Example.JPG
Example.JPG (196.21 KiB) Viewed 265 times

R-One

Re: Minetest mod that integrates with Code.org et al

by R-One » Post

Hi,

you can interface minetest with python and scratch 2, I had a few years ago, I do not know where my documentation is.

It's based on mcpi, you can find an example here:
https://github.com/sprintingkiwi/pycraft_mod

otherwise you have visualbot that I did not have time to test:
viewtopic.php?t=23034

sirrobzeroone
GitHub: sirrobzeroone

Re: Minetest mod that integrates with Code.org et al

by sirrobzeroone » Post

Thanks R-One, I think the python module/integration is more what I'm after. Got it working for myself just not sure if I can find GUI like python builder which isn't self contained

I'm also not even 100% sure that I dont need a little more as the minecraft one is a little more integrated than just a basic programming items as it has minecraft specific features.