Has Minetest 5.1.0 dramatically increased lag on servers?

CalebJ
GitHub: KaylebJay
IRC: KaylebJay
In-game: CalebJ

Has Minetest 5.1.0 dramatically increased lag on servers?

by CalebJ » Post

The title says it all, but servers that moved to 5.1.0/5.2.0 are now experiencing lag problems. Namely, the servers, Pandorabox, Capture the Flag, Tunnelers' Abyss, Bananaland, and others. While Pandorabox and Tunnelers' Abyss did have minor lags before, it was nothing like this.

Then I was able to compare lag readings from a server that upgraded from 0.4.17.1 to 5.0.1. The readings was more than double (over the course of a day), of the lag that it was before.
So are there some serious latency issues with these newer versions of Minetest, or are servers suffering in troops?
Last edited by CalebJ on Thu Oct 31, 2019 15:43, edited 1 time in total.

Hume2
GitHub: Hume2
In-game: Hume2

Re: Has Minetest 5.1.0 dramatically upped latency on servers

by Hume2 » Post

I've just downgraded Tunnelers' Abyss to 5.0.1 to test this.
If you lack the reality, go on a trip or find a job.

Festus1965
GitHub: Festus1965
In-game: Festus1965 Thomas Thailand Explorer

Re: Has Minetest 5.1.0 dramatically increased lag on servers

by Festus1965 » Post

On my server, after change to 5.1.0 I have the same lag as of /status as before even with sometime 10 kids in there.
May be it depends on some mods are used also (combining effect) as at us we have no advtrains and kids are most not using technique and mesecons.

on Pandorabox, I would say no major change ... the lag there is build up in months as everyone want to have automatic farming, crafting and jumpdrive,
and as long the admin is not accepting the results of profiler (adv trains 32%) and more his own monitoring where 10%, then I can stop finding the source. But so far the lag there is same as last two weeks, more depending on who is on ... and sometime I think something else playing in, as this late node showing update could also be network or HDD problem, what is coming periodically, when more then 10 gamer in.
Last edited by Festus1965 on Fri Nov 01, 2019 03:18, edited 1 time in total.
Human has no future (climate change)
If urgend, you find me in Roblox (as CNXThomas)

Fixer
IRC: Fixer
In-game: Fixer

by Fixer » Post

More info is needed.

Hume2
GitHub: Hume2
In-game: Hume2

by Hume2 » Post

Today, I've found another cause of lag on Tunnelers' Abyss. I removed it and the lag dropped dramatically. I'm still wondering how much it was affected by the downgrade because players were reporting less lag even a few hours after downgrade.
If you lack the reality, go on a trip or find a job.

CalebJ
GitHub: KaylebJay
IRC: KaylebJay
In-game: CalebJ

by CalebJ » Post

There was much less lag. From the time of when we downgraded, to when we fixed the other lag issue, we had an average from about 1.3 to 0.5 max_lag, with it being at 0.7 most of the evening. Before, we were at a regular average of around 1.5, with frequent spikes up to 2.2 max_lag. So something is laggier in 5.1.0, although I have no idea what that might be.

Festus1965

by Festus1965 » Post

as both last poster make me confuse, so please make clear statement about
* did the downgrade (from version to version ) reduce the lag itself,
or and or only
* what kind of "other" lag caused by what (item, mod ?) you found rand reduced what ?

ok, would be nice like this ...

* [server]Tunnelers' Abyss (Hume2)
** top5 lag mod ?
** "players were reporting less lag even a few hours after downgrade"

* [server]... (CalebJ)
** top5 lag mods profiler ?
** 5.1.0: "around 1.5, with frequent spikes up to 2.2 max_lag"
** 5.0.1: "average from about 1.3 to 0.5 max_lag, with it being at 0.7 most of the evening"

* [server] Pandorabox (BuckarooBanzay)
** top5 lag mods by profiler (5.0.1): advtrains 32%, mesecons 13.2 %, pipeworks 10.6 %, technic 9.4 %, advtrains_japan 7.9 %
** V 5.2.0-docker avg: 1.28 (13 gamer) most around 0.6, and peaks up to 3s

data from this ? Capture the Flag, Bananaland

* [server] Asia Thailand (Festus1965)
** top5 lag mods as of profiler :
*** 5.0.1: avg: mobs_monster 33.5 % (after that OFF), pipeworks 26.5 %, mesecons 16.5 %, mobs_animal 9.9 %, technic 4 %
*** 5.1.0: avg: technic 29.9% (as I most stand there in my big technic, when not active), areas 12.5% (), mobs_animal 11.6%, pipeworks 11.1%, mesecons 10.8%, player_api 4.8% --- max: pipeworks 99,9%, technic 99,5%, mesecons and mobs_animal 99.8 %, areas 99,3, player api 99,2% (= no of this mod takes really much more peak in the top 6, so for me mean nothing to worry here)
** max_lag V5.1.0: 0.36 (13 gamer), avg about 0.18 and I see no diff to V5.0.1 before
mean: as here are most kids (explore, easy node builds) and old builders (huge, big, nice) not using really technic and mesecons lag is still low, even world is 5 years old

would be nice it we server admins could make that more specific like example I have access to (Pandora and Asia), even I will do new profiler after now a view days with 5.1.0,
also nice to see what mod are most laggy as of concentrate on that one to help all of us?

Festus1965

by Festus1965 » Post

I guess I have strong proof off much more lag with 5.1.0 instead of 5.0.1

fact:
had running 5.1.0 and wanted to play more back on my own server, as I also got enough ideas what to make at spawn, and started also XP_redo (ranks with XP by dig, ...)

To finish my space-ship with radius 68, I enabled my emitter with radius 70, to get fixed wall to build the ships wall at it.

Server was not usable after that enable, took 650.000 HV but no one login, and lag over 2.15 average,
server was out of get in.

So I checked the normally changed abm_execution time of 200, I set most to 300, but 5.1.0 changed that area, seam to take a value out from .conf, and let abm 20% of it (/ 5)

Even new compiled with divided 4, 3 and then 2 the lag was at all configs, and remake, install over 2.
(every time shutdown, edit server environment, save, cmake..., make install, ...)

So, shutdown,
change old 5.0.1 abm time to even 400ms, cmake, install

and server was reaction, still hard work, but lag around 1.4 and I could joined and do my work, mean
as fast as possible finish the space ships wall, to be able to stop, and maybe never use emitter again.

abm output now: (modified 5.0.1 version)

Code: Select all

2019-11-04 23:12:08: WARNING[Server]: active block modifiers took 893ms (longer than 500ms - processed 571 of 571 active blocks)
But, result
with 5.0.1 I can do it,
what 5.1.0 was not possible with too much lag.

added:
And I am sure under 5.00 or earlier there was not even like that lag impact ... mhhh

Festus1965

by Festus1965 » Post

after another test (5 hours, was more about abm, see Server/German) I compared to servers, and also then on 2nd server the both versions 5.0.1 and 5.1.0 under different conf (abm, nodetimer and server_step) but until that there in both always ONLY 0.45 lag where no differences.
But also even near same server hardware, config, CPU, RAM ... the 2nd was lag 0.45 and the active one 0.21
so maybe didn't help anything to measure ...

but I think I found a way to spread abm work, to avoid abm break as of took too long ...

Walker
In-game: Walker

by Walker » Post

ok following to the topic (hab 5.0.1)
my Vanilla + MineClone2 server: almost lag free (<0.5sec)
my Carpathian + Ethereal + Creativ server: extreme lag (> 30sec)

it has nothing to do with the internet: (upload just 20 kb/s ; while the tests i was alone)
and it does not have to do with the CPU / RAM (CPU = 5% / RAM = 15%)

so it has something to do with the mods (?) like Ethereal / Plantlife / Farming_redo IN CONNECTION with 5.0.0+

Walker

by Walker » Post

and the strange as extra post:

I PERSONALLY (so over LAN) have NO LAGS
everyone else or me from elsewhere (ie via the internet) have the problems described above

and yes, it does not have to do that I go on the internet, the problems with Vanilla and MineClone2 are not there and my internet is almost UNDERUTILIZED

Festus1965

by Festus1965 » Post

Walker wrote:so it has something to do with the mods (?) like Ethereal / Plantlife / Farming_redo IN CONNECTION with 5.0.0+
I agree, but can't catch it ... on all mod point
* proofed that [mod]technic / emitter raised lag a lot
but no further tests ... but have another in mind (same db worl, other server, but no technic, mesecon, pipework) as like WildesLand had been

Walker

by Walker » Post

Walker wrote:ok following to the topic (hab 5.0.1)
my Vanilla + MineClone2 server: almost lag free (<0.5sec)
my Carpathian + Ethereal + Creativ server: extreme lag (> 30sec)

it has nothing to do with the internet: (upload just 20 kb/s ; while the tests i was alone)
and it does not have to do with the CPU / RAM (CPU = 5% / RAM = 15%)

so it has something to do with the mods (?) like Ethereal / Plantlife / Farming_redo IN CONNECTION with 5.0.0+
Walker wrote:and the strange as extra post:

I PERSONALLY (so over LAN) have NO LAGS
everyone else or me from elsewhere (ie via the internet) have the problems described above

and yes, it does not have to do that I go on the internet, the problems with Vanilla and MineClone2 are not there and my internet is almost UNDERUTILIZED
Can anyone with good internet, for testing, even create a few servers with different named combinations to verify my measurements?

Walker

by Walker » Post

QUICK AND CLEAN ... YES YES YESSSSS Minetest 5.1.0 dramatically increased lag on servers please Update to 5.2.0-dev or stay on 5.0.1 !!!

source:
> viewtopic.php?f=6&t=23551
> https://github.com/minetest/minetest/pull/9114