[Mod] Fly-B-Gone! [fly_b_gone]

Hugues Ross
Developer
GitHub: Df458

[Mod] Fly-B-Gone! [fly_b_gone]

by Hugues Ross » Post

Someone on the unofficial Discord server was looking for a mod to remove butterflies and fireflies from their Minetest Game world without creating errors. I didn't know of anything that served this purpose, so I put together a neat little mod to do just that.

About
Fly-B-Gone hides all butterfly and firefly nodes from your Minetest Game world. It offers several options that allow specifically enabling one of the two, as well as an option to enable/disable the bottled firefly node separately from regular fireflies (when this node is disabled, it takes on the appearance of a normal glass bottle and can be crafted back into one as necessary).

It should come as no surprise that Fly-B-Gone depends on the butterflies and fireflies mods.

Since Fly-B-Gone hides the nodes rather than removing them outright, you can remove the mod at any time to make them re-appear!

License
Everything is CC BY-SA 4.0, with a catch: Since the inventory texture for a disabled bottled firefly is (obviously) based on the original Minetest Game texture, it is CC-BY-SA 3.0 with CC BY-SA 4.0 only applying to the specific modifications I made... I did a quick bit of research and I'm pretty sure that's how it works. If you want to make further modifications to that particular texture, you'll need to abide by both licenses.

Download
You can find the latest build on ContentDB here.

Other Links
Attachments
screenshot.png
screenshot.png (1.99 KiB) Viewed 491 times

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

Re: [Mod] Fly-B-Gone! [fly_b_gone]

by Sokomine » Post

Poor butterflies and fireflies! And who's gonna visit the flowers now?
A list of my mods can be found here.

CalebJ
GitHub: KaylebJay
IRC: KaylebJay
In-game: CalebJ

by CalebJ » Post

Indeed! Why would you want to disable the *only* mobs in all of minetest_game?
Interesting mod anyways :)

Hume2
GitHub: Hume2
In-game: Hume2

by Hume2 » Post

CalebJ wrote:Indeed! Why would you want to disable the *only* mobs in all of minetest_game?
Interesting mod anyways :)
Not really. They are nodes, not mobs.
If you lack the reality, go on a trip or find a job.

v-rob
Developer
GitHub: v-rob
IRC: v-rob

by v-rob » Post

Mobs can be nodes; imagine a slime monster that is a node that only moves one node at a time. Of course, Mob stands for Mobile, so it's debatable whether fireflies/butterflies are actually mobs, since they are animated and appear to move, but they never actually move from their spot.
Core Developer | My Best Mods: Bridger - Slats - Stained Glass

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

Hume2 wrote:They are nodes, […]
I wonder if they spawn randomly or if they are placed on map generation …

Astrobe

by Astrobe » Post

v-rob wrote:Mobs can be nodes; imagine a slime monster that is a node that only moves one node at a time. Of course, Mob stands for Mobile, so it's debatable whether fireflies/butterflies are actually mobs, since they are animated and appear to move, but they never actually move from their spot.
Actually you can make it mobile by "moving" the node to another node (not exactly this, but see my "Smoke" mod). If you have some nostalgia for Game&Watch games, that is ;-).