Hamlet's mobs - updates and plans

Hamlet
IRC: H4mlet
In-game: Hamlet

Hamlet's mobs - updates and plans

by Hamlet » Post

To those who may be interested:

Bugfixing
- Eventually I've managed to fix the moonwalking bug occurring while a mob is recovering its health.
- Thanks to TenPlus1 I've also discovered that I can also fix the mobs being stuck against walls, just by adding

Code: Select all

jump = true, jump_height = 0.01
in the mob's definition.

These bugs affect Mobs Humans, Mobs Dwarves (jeesh I regret the day I made that mod so complex) and generally any of my mobs having health recovery, and NOT having jump = true in their definition (that is all of them).

In development
In the meanwhile I've been messing with the Umbra mob, adding another nasty feature.

Coming next
By the way, I am looking for Drow/Dark Elf/"you name it" textures.
I have not forgotten my Elves mobs, and I would like to release a "good elves (surface)" + "evil elves (underground)" mod. Evil elves do not necessarily need to be dark skinned, they might as well be paper-white/glassy-like skinned like those creatures living where there's no light.
So if YOU can draw, I would gladly accept YOUR contribute.

Else I'll have to posterize the existing elves' textures, and I seriously doubt that would look good.

To sum up
Long story short, if you are using one of my mobs, expect it being updated in a week or two; perhaps this time I'll manage to release a completely bug-free version. :)
My repositories: Codeberg.org | My ContentDB's page

Nordal
GitHub: Nordall

Re: Hamlet's mobs - updates and plans

by Nordal » Post

I'm particularly interested in the good elves. That you can do monster-mobs I definitely know. ;-)
CFS - still widely unknown

Hamlet

by Hamlet » Post

Nordal wrote:I'm particularly interested in the good elves. That you can do monster-mobs I definitely know. ;-)
Hehe, there is a reason why I've made many non-friendly mobs: I would like to remove many of the existing monsters from Hamlet's Quest, replacing them with the ones I've made. I'll write a detailed explanation about monsters on my game's topic.

Regarding friendly mobs, unfortunately, I can't make them - yet - as I would like: hiring a bodyguard would be simple, making him/her interactive is harder.

By interactive I mean a mob that can use the furniture around, example, sitting on a chair or open/close an unlocked door - instead than aimlessly walking around.
And the top goal would be allowing bartering goods:
- Right click a mob
- 'Hello, would you like to barter...'
- Mob-Inventory - Player-Inventory
- The bartering is based on some kind of 'rarity' economy.

This is why I made Ores Stats: if a Dwarf is going to give you a diamond, how many gold ingots will ask? How many steel ingots would give you for a mese crystal?

So, going back to good elves, creating them is 'easy' ... but since I'd like good mobs to be something more than roaming 'monsters hunters', things get more complicated. :)

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Hamlet wrote: By interactive I mean a mob that can use the furniture around, example, sitting on a chair or open/close an unlocked door - instead than aimlessly walking around.
My mob_world_interaction mod has some of that to a limited degree. Letting them sit is mostly done by setting the right animation and rotation. Open/close doors can be done by some mods. It's not perfect...but part of it is there. My test mobs sadly got stuck in doors and similar tight areas when trying to follow a path.
Hamlet wrote: And the top goal would be allowing bartering goods:
- Right click a mob
- 'Hello, would you like to barter...'
- Mob-Inventory - Player-Inventory
- The bartering is based on some kind of 'rarity' economy.
Bartering is a bit difficult to do. Trading can be done...my mobf_traders are very willing to trade (they just don't have any good offers, beeing rather poor mobs...).

With a very recent PR beeing merged, formspecs are a lot easier to do. We can now have chats like in point&click adventures! I hope to find the time soon to do something there.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Hamlet

by Hamlet » Post

Sokomine wrote: My mob_world_interaction mod has some of that to a limited degree. Letting them sit is mostly done by setting the right animation and rotation. Open/close doors can be done by some mods. It's not perfect...but part of it is there. My test mobs sadly got stuck in doors and similar tight areas when trying to follow a path.
This is interesting, I've downloaded it but haven't got the chance of trying it yet - are your test mobs available for download?
About the issue with tight areas, perhaps it could be solved with some checks; I'm thinking of something like setting the mob's position perfectly centered on nodes - e.g. <1.0, 1.0, 0.0> instead than <1.8, 1.0, 0.0> which might lead the mob to stumble into something - and storing the position of the detected door, so the mob can be aligned to it when approaching. This assuming that the path is a table of waypoints that the mob has to reach in sequence.
Sokomine wrote: Bartering is a bit difficult to do. Trading can be done...my mobf_traders are very willing to trade (they just don't have any good offers, beeing rather poor mobs...).
Downloaded that too, hopefully I'll learn something!
Why do you say that bartering is difficult compared to trading?
Is it because trading is based on pre-established prices/exchange rates while bartering is not?
E.g. 'I give to the mob an item added by some mod (a shell, an atomic reactor, etc.), the mob does not know what is that item's value'.
Sokomine wrote: With a very recent PR beeing merged, formspecs are a lot easier to do. We can now have chats like in point&click adventures! I hope to find the time soon to do something there.
Oh this is very interesting: it would make possible to add NPCs giving quests and rewards, informations and whatnot.
The simplest being 'go and fetch': 'I will pay you 1 ore lump for every X <item_name> you'll bring me.'
To the more complex: 'My grandfather's <item_name> has been stolen by a <monster_name>, they've told me that it lives 500 nodes east from here: recover it and I'll give you a big reward.'
Or: 'I will teach you a secret healing recipe for X gold lumps.'
And: 'They say that if you place an apple on a mese block when it's midnight it turns into a diamond.' <- It may happen on chance basis, and also spawn 5 dungeon masters. :D

The limit would be just the programmer's imagination.