Can't find diamonds!

oddguy117

Can't find diamonds!

by oddguy117 » Post

I've mined myself down to nearly -900 and covered trough straight mining a relative big lot of the underground and still didn't find any diamonds although I found like 25 mese crystals. Did the probability to find ores change from 4.1.6 (as shown in the wiki) to 5.1.0 change?

Pyrollo
Developer
GitHub: pyrollo
In-game: Naj

Re: Can't find diamonds!

by Pyrollo » Post

[ Display Modpack ] - [ Digiterms ] - [ Crater MG ] - [ LATE ]

Miniontoby
GitHub: Miniontoby
IRC: Miniontoby
In-game: Miniontoby

by Miniontoby » Post

Search at 128 levels below sea level (source: https://wiki.minetest.net/Diamond)
Working on mtctl ---- Check my mod "Doorbell" -- Stay safe

oddguy117

by oddguy117 » Post

I searched min. 1500 blocks (those were the ones I dug, but I've viewed min. 6x that much blocks) under -350 down to nearly -900

Miniontoby
GitHub: Miniontoby
IRC: Miniontoby
In-game: Miniontoby

by Miniontoby » Post

Diamond Ore, a very rare ore (compared to the other ones), always appears in small clusters enclosed in stone. Its clusters are rarer than mese ore clusters but more common than mese block clusters. Diamond ore clusters can be found at a height of Y = -128 or below. They are more common at Y = -256 or below. Diamond ore can be mined with a steel pickaxe (or better) and will give you a Diamond.

From https://wiki.minetest.net/Diamond_Ore
Working on mtctl ---- Check my mod "Doorbell" -- Stay safe

Festus1965
GitHub: Festus1965
In-game: Festus1965 Thomas Thailand Explorer

by Festus1965 » Post

you all most have no any patience anymore,
everything must be found, got fast ...

and without the server name, or that server settings we cant tell you
as maybe the admin set diamonds below 10.000 ?

1500 digs is NOTHING !
Human has no future (climate change)
If urgend, you find me in Roblox (as CNXThomas)

oddguy117

by oddguy117 » Post

Thats no server and finally after way more digs if found some below 1100.

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Post

In MTGame 5.0.0 onwards, low density below y = -1024, higher density below y = -2048.
https://github.com/minetest/minetest_ga ... n.lua#L828
Some ores were moved deeper in MTgame 5.0.0.

oddguy117

by oddguy117 » Post

Does the wiki lie?

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

The wiki is often out of date, sometimes by years.

oddguy117

by oddguy117 » Post

I feel like this code was for v6 and I use v7.

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

The wiki is often out of date, sometimes by years.
I feel personally attacked! :D
OK, I 100% agree for the Dev Wiki (most of it is just a pointless copy from lua_api.txt and should be deleted), but for the Minetest Wiki, I believe most of it actually is fairly accurate.

But ok, I have fixed the wiki pages now. I think it's not a good idea to write such detailed raw numbers directly into the wiki, especially with no reference to the version number, as they are very VERY painful to keep updated (especially by hand). So I have removed the numbers. Instead, everything now refers to <https://wiki.minetest.net/Ores>. But I don't feel like updating the numbers on this page right now (it's boring to manually extract the numbers from the source code. A script would be nice), but at least it explicitly tells you the correct version number.

Ideally, all data pages should be automated away. That would not only save a ton of work but would also be more reliable.

Whenever you find something in the wiki that is completely wrong, please alert me.

Also, you actually have no right to complain that your own game is poorly documented. None of the MTG devs actually seem to care about the documentation of their own game, it's almost entirely a player-written documentation. Minetest Wiki might as well be called a “fan wiki” (even if it's hosted on minetest.net). You should be glad that I am touching the MTG docs at all. If it weren't for me, the wiki would be in a much worse shape.

Besides, this is just the curse of wikis. A wiki can never be a true game manual especially when version differences matter. The wiki pages are NOT versioned, they only try to be up-to-date for “latest stable”. So if you don't have the latest MTG version, the reader is screwed anyway.

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

Certainly it seems the wiki has improved a lot, and Wuzzy has done a lot of good work. Maybe it is much better than i state, after all i almost never look at it, last time was probably 1-2 years ago.

I was not complaining, i was just stating a fact (although the 'years' part was wrong). The MTG core devs do 'care' about documentation, but are too busy to update the wiki (we are already overwhelmed) so that is left to others who help us out, and we appreciate that work.
Any documentation that is in the repository is instantly updated at the time of a code change (such as lua_api.txt in the engine). Maybe MTG should have more in-repo documentation for general gameplay information?

Actually, see https://github.com/minetest/minetest_game/issues/2239
I proposed in-repo documentation (that would therefore be updated instantly by contributors at the time of code change) but was opposed.
Apparently 'Players never read docs', 'players are used to wikis as it's the form most used. Barely any games use manuals noadays', which are poor defeatist arguments. Many players do read docs, and maybe those who do not should. What they are used to is irrelevant, as is what other games do.
So the result is perpetually slightly out date wiki documentation and nothing else.