[Mod] Classroom [0.1][classroom]

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

[Mod] Classroom [0.1][classroom]

by rubenwardy » Post

An easy way to manage students in-game, with support for bulk actions and macros.

An action is something that can be performed on a selection of students. You can use actions to move players, grant/revoke privs, and more. A list of built-in actions can be found in the readme, but you can add more actions using the API for this mod.

Requires Minetest 5.1.0

License: MIT

Dependencies: sfinv (included in minetest game)

Source: https://gitlab.com/rubenwardy/classroom
Download: https://content.minetest.net/packages/r ... /download/
ContentDB: https://content.minetest.net/packages/r ... classroom/
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

runs

Re: [Mod] Classroom [0.1][classroom]

by runs » Post

Great for teachers and schools.

:-)

CalebJ
GitHub: KaylebJay
IRC: KaylebJay
In-game: CalebJ

by CalebJ » Post

Oooh, really great. I think this will be a good promotional feature for Minetest :))

Hume2
GitHub: Hume2
In-game: Hume2

by Hume2 » Post

Nice idea!
Are you going to make Minetest Educational Edition? :D
If you lack the reality, go on a trip or find a job.

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Hume2 wrote:Nice idea!
Are you going to make Minetest Educational Edition? :D
Perhaps!

Hello profile reader

Nigel
GitHub: nyje
IRC: Nigel
In-game: Nigel

by Nigel » Post

Epic work & great idea!
Thanks for this, teaching my young twins how to play will now be a lot less like herding kittens ;-) I'll install it on my server today for when they play again tomorrow.
My Published Mods: Visual Bots | Symmetool Mirror

Nigel
GitHub: nyje
IRC: Nigel
In-game: Nigel

Re: [Mod] Classroom [0.1][classroom] Feature request

by Nigel » Post

Hi rubenwardy, I don't suppose there is any chance you could add a chat-command to open the formspec for us weird people who insist on using unified_inventory?
My Published Mods: Visual Bots | Symmetool Mirror

texmex
GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: tacotexmex

by texmex » Post

Nice mod, the educators of the MT community will surely appreciate it. Maybe add a freeze/unfreeze feature or is that too harsh?

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Nigel wrote:Hi rubenwardy, I don't suppose there is any chance you could add a chat-command to open the formspec for us weird people who insist on using unified_inventory?
This is planned. I may add support for UI by copying code from another of my mods, but I really don't want to spend too much time doing that
texmex wrote:Nice mod, the educators of the MT community will surely appreciate it. Maybe add a freeze/unfreeze feature or is that too harsh?
I'd also like to add that, it's useful in combination with audience and look

Hello profile reader

Miniontoby
GitHub: Miniontoby
IRC: Miniontoby
In-game: Miniontoby

by Miniontoby » Post

Nice. But why that idea??
Working on mtctl ---- Check my mod "Doorbell" -- Stay safe

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Miniontoby wrote:Nice. But why that idea??
What do you mean by "that" idea? The idea for this mod?

I had the idea for this mod after seeing the potential and current use for Minetest in education, and from receiving feedback from teachers. My aim is to eventually produce a semi-official modpack and set of tools to make using minetest easier for education. I considered contributing to edutest, but didn't like the license or the direction

Hello profile reader

zeuner
GitHub: zeuner

by zeuner » Post

rubenwardy wrote:
Miniontoby wrote:Nice. But why that idea??
What do you mean by "that" idea? The idea for this mod?

I had the idea for this mod after seeing the potential and current use for Minetest in education, and from receiving feedback from teachers. My aim is to eventually produce a semi-official modpack and set of tools to make using minetest easier for education. I considered contributing to edutest, but didn't like the license or the direction
Did you bother opening issues about your concerns on the edutest project?

The edutest licensing was already adapted once in order to be able to integrate a contribution. Of course, it becomes harder to make changes on this the later someone asks. So far, you are the first who seems to have a problem with the current licensing of edutest.

Edutest is also based on feedback from teachers, so I would love to hear about directional concerns. But one thing I'm pretty sure about: That neither of the teachers you or me surveyed responded with a: "We need more incompatible education-related mods aiming at doing the same things"

Nonetheless, what I see here looks promising. Just unsure about the merits of fragmenting the educational world of minetest...

zeuner

by zeuner » Post

Nigel wrote:Hi rubenwardy, I don't suppose there is any chance you could add a chat-command to open the formspec for us weird people who insist on using unified_inventory?
You might want to have a look at edutest (viewtopic.php?t=18988). It's been developed since 2017 with the goal of assisting teachers/instructors, and it supports both unified_inventory and sfinv (and on an experimental basis, the Lord of the Test subgame).

zeuner

by zeuner » Post

texmex wrote:Nice mod, the educators of the MT community will surely appreciate it. Maybe add a freeze/unfreeze feature or is that too harsh?
You might want to have a look at edutest (viewtopic.php?t=18988). It's been developed since 2017 with the goal of assisting teachers/instructors, and it already provides a GUI frontend for freeze/unfreeze when the corresponding mod is installed.

v-rob
Developer
GitHub: v-rob
IRC: v-rob

by v-rob » Post

Honestly, duplicates aren't bad (we aren't Stack Overflow). Duplicates in the open source world add alternatives to people who don't like something in certain software. Each alternative can add things to the others.
Core Developer | My Best Mods: Bridger - Slats - Stained Glass

zeuner

by zeuner » Post

v-rob wrote:Honestly, duplicates aren't bad (we aren't Stack Overflow). Duplicates in the open source world add alternatives to people who don't like something in certain software. Each alternative can add things to the others.
Two things:

I'm not saying duplicates are always bad. I'm just saying I don't understand why people who don't like some things wouldn't just communicate first, for example through opening an issue in the project. Considering that a large company is doing massive lobbying work for getting their education-targeted 3D open world game used in schools, I think we would all do better coordinating our efforts towards an open source alternative. After all, you can easily duplicate code, but you cannot duplicate users. Having an universal education-targeted tool would make it easier to acquire larger institutional users.

Also, the merit of open source is exactly that duplicate effort can be reduced. The code can be adapted when you don't like things, eliminating the need to write things again.

texmex
GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: tacotexmex

by texmex » Post

I find the concern for mod redundancy a bit odd in this context (MT modding community). A large part of what we as a community do is reimplementing roughly the same features in new mods over and over again, for various reasons. This is isn’t necessarily a bad thing.

luizsab

by luizsab » Post

Hello!
I'm a teacher and I loved the idea. I am testing on my notebook and I found unstable for me start using at classroom, sometimes the window goes gray and the server goes down and my students are impatients.
Updated Minetest to 5.1 and added private teacher to admin. I hope the mod will be stable soon.

Congratulations on your work and contribution. I really liked this mod.
Luiz
[luizsab]
cdb_20c854aafd61

Miniontoby

by Miniontoby » Post

luizsab wrote:sometimes the window goes gray and the server goes down.
That means that there is an error, so please if it happen go to the folder of the minetest server, open 'debug.txt' and scroll down to the bottom and post the last 7 lines.

luizsab

by luizsab » Post

This my last attempt:

2020-01-06 15:49:27: WARNING[Main]: TextureSource::getPalette(): the specified palette image "unifieddyes_palette_extended.png" is larger than 256 pixels, using the first 256.
2020-01-06 15:49:28: ERROR[Main]: generateImage(): Could not load image "darkage_marble.png" while building texture; Creating a dummy image
2020-01-06 15:49:28: ACTION[Server]: Giving initial stuff to player fernando
2020-01-06 15:49:28: ACTION[Server]: fernando [192.168.0.109] joins game.
2020-01-06 15:49:28: ACTION[Server]: fernando joins game. List of players: luiz luizsabino fernando
2020-01-06 15:49:43: ERROR[Main]: Invalid list ring element(1, 1): ''
2020-01-06 15:49:50: WARNING[Emerge-0]: Call to deprecated function 'get2d', please use 'get_2d' at ...st/worlds/3_ano/worldmods/plantlife/cavestuff/mapgen.lua:17
2020-01-06 15:49:50: WARNING[Server]: Call to deprecated function 'get2d', please use 'get_2d' at ...luiz/.minetest/worlds/3_ano/worldmods/biome_lib/init.lua:88
2020-01-06 15:50:00: ERROR[Main]: Invalid list ring element(1, 1): ''
2020-01-06 15:51:24: ACTION[Server]: luizsabino sets time to 6000
2020-01-06 15:51:33: ERROR[Main]: ServerError: AsyncErr: ServerThread::run Lua: Runtime error from mod '' in callback on_playerReceiveFields(): /home/luiz/.minetest/mods/classroom/actions.lua:12: attempt to index local 'player' (a nil value)
2020-01-06 15:51:33: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2020-01-06 15:51:33: ERROR[Main]: /home/luiz/.minetest/mods/classroom/actions.lua:12: in function 'func'
2020-01-06 15:51:33: ERROR[Main]: /home/luiz/.minetest/mods/classroom/api.lua:147: in function 'run_action'
2020-01-06 15:51:33: ERROR[Main]: /home/luiz/.minetest/mods/classroom/gui_dash.lua:380: in function 'handle_results'
2020-01-06 15:51:33: ERROR[Main]: /home/luiz/.minetest/mods/classroom/gui_dash.lua:436: in function </home/luiz/.minetest/mods/classroom/gui_dash.lua:435>
2020-01-06 15:51:33: ERROR[Main]: /usr/share/minetest/builtin/game/register.lua:429: in function </usr/share/minetest/builtin/game/register.lua:413>
2020-01-06 15:51:33: ERROR[Main]: Access denied. Reason: This server has experienced an internal error. You will now be disconnected.
2020-01-06 15:51:33: ACTION[Server]: luizsabino leaves game. List of players:
2020-01-06 15:51:33: ERROR[Main]: Access denied. Reason: This server has experienced an internal error. You will now be disconnected.
2020-01-06 15:51:33: ACTION[Server]: luiz leaves game. List of players:
2020-01-06 15:51:33: ACTION[Server]: fernando leaves game. List of players:
2020-01-06 15:51:34: ACTION[Main]: Server: Shutting down

In this case, when I try to bring all players it's work, but if I selected a player the server shutting down.
Luiz
[luizsab]
cdb_20c854aafd61

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

That should be fixed in 0.3.1 - it was attempting to run an action on a player that had left the game

Hello profile reader

luizsab

by luizsab » Post

I understand. But I was with the players online, I'm using virtualbox with network on bridge mode
Luiz
[luizsab]
cdb_20c854aafd61

christoferlevich
GitHub: ChristoferL

by christoferlevich » Post

I tried for a few yrs to do something educational, and did actual classes in school for 2 years, all day long with kids simply building and exploring with currency added - building models from their town including an actual model for their school. It faded out with the incoming of new admins, but its being brought back by student demand... lol - anyways - I am so excited you made this and I hope you continue. My skill set could only take it so far...
everything can be a learning experience...

mattruffoni
In-game: mattruffoni

by mattruffoni » Post

Hi, I'm Matteo an italian teacher I'm playng with minetest with 100 students. 'd like to use Classroom mod but I'm not able to put students in the group. The classrom module doesn't list the users. How can I do?
I found classroom file in the mod_storage directory and I tried to put there my classes but nothing is changed on module classroom inside the game.

Miniontoby

by Miniontoby » Post

mattruffoni wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 07:18
Hi, I'm Matteo an italian teacher I'm playng with minetest with 100 students. 'd like to use Classroom mod but I'm not able to put students in the group. The classrom module doesn't list the users. How can I do?
I found classroom file in the mod_storage directory and I tried to put there my classes but nothing is changed on module classroom inside the game.
The only thing I can help with is telling you this:

If you change anything in a file and you don't restart the server (or if you are just in singleplayer your world) then it won't change anything!