who the hell is minetesthosting.com?

Walker
In-game: Walker

who the hell is minetesthosting.com?

by Walker » Post

I already had open email traffic with minetesthosting regarding their vulnerability (you can VERY easily paralyze their entire site and all servers for several hours and days) and inactivity (they still used Minetest 0.4.14) but never had an answer to get. Hence my question ... Who the hell is the service!?!

texmex
GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: tacotexmex

Re: who the hell is minetesthosting.com?

by texmex » Post

If the person(s) behind it would’ve been interested in a public profile they would have done so by now, seeing that the service has been around for a few years already. My guess is that it runs more or less autonomously.

It’s begging for competition to arise.

Walker

by Walker » Post

well, they have given a contact ... two e-mail addresses.
the problem: i see no imprint on the site (DSGVO / GDPR sends greetings) and they don't reply to emails ^^

FreeGamers
GitHub: is proprietary I use NotABug

by FreeGamers » Post

There is no whois registrar information about the site (anonymized) and its behind a Cloudflare caching and ddos layer so its not possible to determine the hosts from a reverse lookup because Cloudflare generally handles the DNS for their clients in this type of setup. I found some datacenter ISP in the USA as the host but that doesn't say much about who runs it. Its pretty well tucked away in terms of who is operating it.

To me that says avoid it. I self host most things, I know that isnt an option for everyone. Maybe one day I can get a hosting operation going. I would love the chance to be able to write off a fiber line and business internet plan, and server hardware as tax deductible business expenses :) My current living situation and ISP arent a good match for this right now.

I would suspect that this site currently operates off of a VPS they rent out. Personally, when it comes to hosting your data and services, you want to have some sort of accountability and trust in the operator. Less so with game-server hosting I suppose but still... its a good idea.

I remember once I was shopping for Mumble voice servers and the cheapest one I found was by a game server hosting company. When I did a bit more digging, I found out that the gaming hosting company was a subsidiary of an cyber-security and consulting company ran by veterans and former government employees. The parent company specialized in cyber-warfare and intelligence data analysis consulting and contracting for a major 3-letter agency. Not a good fit for hosting a VOIP server for my personal use... I decided I should just stick with self-hosting at that point :)

If you'd like to do this dig yourself, just go here and then research the parent company (bottom of the page): https://tserverhq.com/mumble-server/
FreeGamers.org has moved to MeseCraft.net | FreeGamers on this forum is now MeseCraft

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

They don’t even provide an imprint or legal information.

FreeGamers
GitHub: is proprietary I use NotABug

by FreeGamers » Post

No updates since 2016 in the changelog: http://www.minetesthosting.com/features/change-log/
FreeGamers.org has moved to MeseCraft.net | FreeGamers on this forum is now MeseCraft

BuckarooBanzay
GitHub: BuckarooBanzay
IRC: BuckarooBanzai
In-game: BuckarooBanzai

by BuckarooBanzay » Post

Also this:
http://site-overview.com/website-report ... id/8291677

The sites use the same analytics tracking id

EDIT: nevermind, they aren't... :/
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Not active here anymore, contact me on the minetest discord, irc, lemmy or github (for programming issues)

Walker

by Walker » Post

well, then I would very carefully advise everyone to stay away from it