Festus1965
GitHub: Festus1965
In-game: Festus1965 Thomas Thailand Explorer

Re: [Server] Pandorabox

by Festus1965 » Post

so much fun:
I just asked at the server free out:
"someone: who can explain me the message circuit breaker"

answer from chuche952 (and agreed from Kryokinese)
"someone placed too much mesecon blinkys plant or similar, too much workload from them"

so are we all wrong and what is your admins explanation???

Kryokinesis also took the right (me opinion) next step:
"Maybe we need to do a search party to find the source?"

But I intended that very difficult, as of a lot of gamer and not see the effect we could only do that on pandorabox test, as there it might be show effect it we are careful walking and check positions.

So both agree with me idea also:
The admin should delete all blinky out of database, as so dead, missing or hidden blinky are gone
and active gamer can replace the one they need.

That might help, IF it is only blinky out of mesecons mod ...
but that is one one my questions i had, as mod mesecons has some more items that might ...
Human has no future (climate change)
If urgend, you find me in Roblox (as CNXThomas)

Festus1965

by Festus1965 » Post

ok, let me try some positive news / post:

with only this gamer in: MilesDyson, Krokinesis, rainbowkitty and me (as Thailand)

there was NO lag for a long time ... thanks, to whatever was responsible for this.

Oh, moment, to make it more clear
the /status shown lag was somewhere 1.23 to 1.09 when i posted,
but there was no news about circuit breaker for long time and even no problem to dig or build.

BuckarooBanzay
GitHub: BuckarooBanzay
IRC: BuckarooBanzai
In-game: BuckarooBanzai

by BuckarooBanzay » Post

Thanks for the feedback Festus1965:

I spent countless hours on that mesecons stuff, added metrics into C and Lua-space, even dissected the
Action-Queue and visited the heavy-traffic places manually...
In the end i got frustrated and implemented the "Circuit-Breaker" you are seeing right now.

But you are right, thats not a fair solution.
I played around with a per-mapblock mesecons "usage meter", but got a lot of false-positives.
But i think that would be a better solution than a global restriction...
I'm investing some more time into that and try that again the next few days.

About the documentation:
Yeah, i'm not good in documenting stuff :)
But i added a Wiki-page and the according News-banner at login:

Code: Select all

!!!! Mesecons issue/abuse !!!!
There is currently heavy mesecons activity.
Due to this a "circuit-breaker" has been introduced that disables the mesecons globally
if too much activity is going on.
Please use the perfomance tips for mesecons in the wiki so we all can still use them:
https://pandorabox.io/wiki/index.php/Mesecons_guidelines
!!!! -------------------- !!!!
The Wiki-Link: https://pandorabox.io/wiki/index.php/Me ... guidelines
I hope that clears it up a bit...

I post here if i change anything on the mesecons-front...
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Not active here anymore, contact me on the minetest discord, irc, lemmy or github (for programming issues)

Festus1965

by Festus1965 » Post

I have no idea what made it,
or is the circuit-breaker off, as I have not seen the message today
most time server much better to game, just still this like waves coming not dig, not build times - disappear, nodes come back and go ...

added:
How can it be that the lag (/status) on the empty test server is near same than the one on the active server with 15 gamer ?

Wooster
GitHub: WoosterUK

by Wooster » Post

BuckarooBanzay wrote:The Wiki-Link: https://pandorabox.io/wiki/index.php/Me ... guidelines
I hope that clears it up a bit...

I post here if i change anything on the mesecons-front...
I've certainly built something that triggers this, so I'll need to re-factor. It's meant to be a maze whose links appear and disappear, so it'll take some thought. I guess I could take out the mesecons aspect, but part of my goal with the whole puzzle palace idea was to showcase different circuitry that one could use.

How do lua-controllers compare with things like gate and piston-based circuitry in terms of server load? Assuming they're doing the same job, are they heavier, lighter or about the same?

micheal65536

by micheal65536 » Post

Wooster wrote:How do lua-controllers compare with things like gate and piston-based circuitry in terms of server load? Assuming they're doing the same job, are they heavier, lighter or about the same?
I imagine they would be lighter as discrete gates are causing node updates/modifications whereas luacontrollers are self-contained. You might also want to consider FPGAs if you're replacing discrete gates.

BuckarooBanzay

by BuckarooBanzay » Post

Festus1965 wrote:I have no idea what made it,
or is the circuit-breaker off, as I have not seen the message today
most time server much better to game, just still this like waves coming not dig, not build times - disappear, nodes come back and go ...

added:
How can it be that the lag (/status) on the empty test server is near same than the one on the active server with 15 gamer ?
Good to hear :)
About the lag: we have some random spikes (see the "server stats") now and then.
They are usually 5 to 10 minutes apart and "block" the server for about 2 seconds average...
I'm investingating those when i have time, but for now the server runs smoother than the last few weeks.

Wooster wrote: I've certainly built something that triggers this, so I'll need to re-factor. It's meant to be a maze whose links appear and disappear, so it'll take some thought. I guess I could take out the mesecons aspect, but part of my goal with the whole puzzle palace idea was to showcase different circuitry that one could use.

How do lua-controllers compare with things like gate and piston-based circuitry in terms of server load? Assuming they're doing the same job, are they heavier, lighter or about the same?
I don't know if a pure LuaC with digilines is much better than a pure-mesecons circuitry. You'll have to try that one :)
The settings can still be tuned if something stopped working that should definetely work (for example the RS-Fliplop in parasite's mesecons tutorial, thats still on my list, just saying :)

About the puzzles: I'm currently starting a project that might interest you, its about quests and minigames but in a dedicated environment, PM me if you want to know more....
micheal65536 wrote:
Wooster wrote:How do lua-controllers compare with things like gate and piston-based circuitry in terms of server load? Assuming they're doing the same job, are they heavier, lighter or about the same?
I imagine they would be lighter as discrete gates are causing node updates/modifications whereas luacontrollers are self-contained. You might also want to consider FPGAs if you're replacing discrete gates.
I have no idea how they perform next to each other, but i think we have quite the toolset now to measure that: 6r1d even created a wiki page with measurements for some high-traffic places: https://pandorabox.io/wiki/index.php/Mesecons_debug

-----------------

Another thing i wanted to do for a long time:

Maintenance downtime at the 16th October 2019 from 20:00 to 21:00 CEST
(https://time.is/Paris)

On my list:
  • Minetest engine and game upgrade to 5.1.0
  • Database migration vom Postgres 10 to 11
  • Cleanup of various hacks
I'm announcing that ingame too...
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Not active here anymore, contact me on the minetest discord, irc, lemmy or github (for programming issues)

Festus1965

by Festus1965 » Post

server is gone 17.10.1019 14:35 ... ICT
mean then 7:35 UTC, or 9:35 CEST ... but anouncement was another

and had that update from 16.10. 20:00 CEST, or 18: UTC been done ?

As I was offline from somewhere 13:00 ICT, and had not seen any reaction in game about this ... before ...

Server is back since about 17:00
I am just in ... seam nothing changes so far, lag same in serverlist

BuckarooBanzay

by BuckarooBanzay » Post

Festus1965 wrote:server is gone 17.10.1019 14:35 ... ICT
mean then 7:35 UTC, or 9:35 CEST ... but anouncement was another

and had that update from 16.10. 20:00 CEST, or 18: UTC been done ?

As I was offline from somewhere 13:00 ICT, and had not seen any reaction in game about this ... before ...

Server is back since about 17:00
I am just in ... seam nothing changes so far, lag same in serverlist
No idea, what that was, a very weird freeze :(

Festus1965: about the lag in the serverlist, those 200ms are the new serverstep, just fyi

Another thing: i completely forgot to upgrade to 5.1.0 :/ will do next time i'm doing admin stuff....

Festus1965

by Festus1965 » Post

another stats offered from BuckarooBanzay

shocked me today:

WE have on hole map 135 advtrains !!! for a max of 25 people can play ...

And that 35% of all CPU time goes into advtrains mod should not be a problem ?

Why cart doesn't show up in profiler ?
maybe no any abm or globalstep used ...

Bye the way:
we just stuck for a minute in the game 8:30 local time, and no any stats showed up any special forced using ... sure that the hardware or even the hoster isn't the problem some time ?

BuckarooBanzay

by BuckarooBanzay » Post

Festus1965 wrote:another stats offered from BuckarooBanzay

shocked me today:

WE have on hole map 135 advtrains !!! for a max of 25 people can play ...

And that 35% of all CPU time goes into advtrains mod should not be a problem ?

Why cart doesn't show up in profiler ?
maybe no any abm or globalstep used ...

Bye the way:
we just stuck for a minute in the game 8:30 local time, and no any stats showed up any special forced using ... sure that the hardware or even the hoster isn't the problem some time ?
Its actually more like 10% usage: around 80 to 100 ms per second (globalstep)
-> See: https://monitoring.minetest.land/d/A8Er ... panelId=14
Advtrains has a very stable "baseload", the final nail in the coffin is still the mesecons mod...

I try to check them out when i get to it (https://github.com/pandorabox-io/pandor ... issues/348) thats very tedious work... :/

Festus1965

by Festus1965 » Post

two different views ...

you have so easy option to check it:
* make a profiler from the pandorabox.test server ... noone in, that should show most what is always working even if no gamer in,
* take the same server later and restart without
** advtrains, and make a profiler a weeks later,
then without
** mesecons and also a week after make a profiler again, compare them to the one of active server

also today, I could game so nice with another 13 gamer (i have the names) for more than an hour without any lag disturbance, i digged a lot, and it was great,
then 11:57:15 jihuu came in, a bit later another
* immedialy lag rised, and soon we had that crazy 3 s lag ...
so ???
* is the number 14 gamer a problem, that then some settings like network transfer is too low ?
* did some other guy wait for a login to do things causing lag, but wqanna hide ?
* or is jihuu activation something that caused it?
I have screenshot, it is amaizing, so clear - on point of login everything changed

have fun,
me not so much ...

added: found

* one dead blinky in Maniffs Room there, not logged in since near 3 months, haha

* search with juhuu - it is the mapblock at the Tretais game, where the player detector, a lua and a monitor is: up to 37% in the mesesons_hud ... and he didnt know this mapblock, but activated it all time again. The player detector doesn't seam to be it, he deactivated it, but didn't dig it away to be sure, so the code, the LCD ... is it worth ???

* maybe check if this lag peaks come only when gamer reach 14 or more ... (then it is a server settings problem)

added again:
I am just on Test Pandorabox AND
there was a pike 3s lag also, even no gamer in before that happened.
basic lag there is 0.2, and max 0.27 as of Grafana

so when also on test are this peaks !!! then it is not by the gamer itself, it is hardware, software, or mt settings

added again: (3.11.)
I am also sometime one Tech Age Servcer GER with RTT 0.290, even more, but no any lag to realize as would think of the distance. But servcer also goes with lag 0.09, as no mesecons, monsters, animals, no pipeworks and other kind of technic.

WarHawk

by WarHawk » Post

hi, i was banned from this server a long time ago for stupidly putting a video chat link in the chat for my cousin. noob move ik, i was wondering if there is anyway i would ever be aloud to return to the server. it was an honest mistake, one i made because i was new to mine-test and didn't look very closely at the rules :(. i accept it was my fault but was wondering if i could ever return?
cheers warhawk

BuckarooBanzay

by BuckarooBanzay » Post

WarHawk wrote:hi, i was banned from this server a long time ago for stupidly putting a video chat link in the chat for my cousin. noob move ik, i was wondering if there is anyway i would ever be aloud to return to the server. it was an honest mistake, one i made because i was new to mine-test and didn't look very closely at the rules :(. i accept it was my fault but was wondering if i could ever return?
cheers warhawk
Your ingame-name?
In your defense: that rule was added after you did that...

WarHawk

by WarHawk » Post

cant remember really, hunterbc14 i think?, havent used that username since :P

WarHawk

by WarHawk » Post

i probably wouldent be playing under that acc if i did return, would start over prob

Valyris
In-game: Valyris

by Valyris » Post

Hi, I used to play on this server for a while a few months ago, and now I would like to login again but I have forgotten my password, is there any way to recover or reset it?

EDIT: My ingame username is the same as here, "Valyris"

Festus1965

by Festus1965 » Post

write PM to admin, and ask to reset password to another you give him to set, then login, change and would work.

I think it was Coil inside my base, walking fast from the lava orb farm, via east Hydro-power station near auto-crafting to the west hydro station, and teleport just out when I was back ...
There is NO official way in that area for visitors ... again, that server is not safe. But I was too slow, next I turn Video on first ...

BuckarooBanzay

by BuckarooBanzay » Post

Festus1965 wrote:write PM to admin, and ask to reset password to another you give him to set, then login, change and would work.
Already done :)

Diamond knight
GitHub: Diamondknight
In-game: Ferrumprinceps

by Diamond knight » Post

Does this server have a discord? Need to talk to staff about something and this forum thread is inactive.

BuckarooBanzay

by BuckarooBanzay » Post

Diamond knight wrote:Does this server have a discord? Need to talk to staff about something and this forum thread is inactive.
Irc: #pandorabox and #pandorabox-mod on freenode

Festus1965

by Festus1965 » Post

Would realy be better to have a wiki mod inside the game,
as gamer ARE to lazy or not able to open/use external browser based wiki

Allways the same questions ... and I am tired to answer, as some of old answerers are not there anymore.

DarkRoy
In-game: DarkRoy

by DarkRoy » Post

happy new year :P

BuckarooBanzay

by BuckarooBanzay » Post

DarkRoy wrote:Image
happy new year :P
Oh nice, thank you for hosting that :) i was busy irl, sorry for not joining in...

anju64
GitHub: anju64
IRC: anju64
In-game: anju64

by anju64 » Post

Hi BuckarooBanzai,
can you update the tubes i miss the valve or you have deactivate the valves.