[Game] Development Test [devtest]

Games that have been abandoned and no longer work properly with the latest version of Minetest.
Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

[Game] Development Test [devtest]

by Wuzzy » Post

OBSOLETE! Development Test has been MERGED into official Minetest 5.3.0-dev.

Development Test
A replacement for Minimal Development Test.

This is not a real game, it's only meant for testing out engine features!

As the name suggests, this is supposed to be a test environment for engine features, but much more exhaustive than Minimal Development Test. There are tons of test nodes, tools, items and other stuff to test.
It can also be useful to test your own mods with minimal interference.

I have already discovered numerous bugs with this thing. If you want to help with bug-hunting in Minetest, this should be the tool of your choice. :-)

The loading time is very fast.

It's a direct fork of Minimal Development Test. The goal is to replace the official Minimal Development Test (see #9260).

Features
  • Lots of test nodes, items and entities to test out engine features
  • Tools to manipulate nodes and entities (see mods/testtools/README.md for a manual)
  • Basic, minimal mapgen
  • Chest of Everything contains all items
  • Automated tests
  • Settings to turn on/off certain tests (based on the principle of “minimal interference”, most things start turned off)
  • Convenience commands
  • Settings to enable different tests
  • Complete overhaul of the messy codebase of Minimal Development Test
  • Principle of minimal interference: The added features try to interfere as little as possible with the default Minetest behavior. Some features need to be activated explicitly. This should make Development Test ideal to test dependency-free mods.
  • Many old/broken features, nodes and items of Minimal Development Test were removed
Download and infos (OLD)

NOTE: These links are OUTDATED, I will no longer update the repository linked below, as Development Test is now an official part of Minetest, there's no need to maintain the old repository anymore. This should be used in Minetest 5.2.0-dev.
Mintest 5.1.0 will also work, but there will be (harmless) missing texture bugs.

License: Same as license of Minetest 5.1.0 (because it's a fork of Minimal Development Test).
Last edited by Wuzzy on Tue May 26, 2020 00:27, edited 10 times in total.

Noodlemire
GitHub: Noodlemire
In-game: Noodlemire

Re: [Game] Development Test [devtest]

by Noodlemire » Post

Wuzzy wrote:Download latest version (bleeding edge): https://git.minetest.land/Wuzzy/devtest ... master.zip
Looks like you forgot the URL tag here. This ends up being just another repo link.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Fixed!

Fixer
IRC: Fixer
In-game: Fixer

by Fixer » Post

Wuzzy saved saves the day, thank you!

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Good news, everyone!

After 6 months and numerous updates, Devtest has finally made it into the official Minetest repository. It was a long and hard journey, but I finally made it. You can follow the discussion (with over 80 comments) here:

https://github.com/minetest/minetest/pull/9450

And here's my commit history with over 190 commits: https://git.minetest.land/Wuzzy/devtest ... nch/master

(Note I might delete this repository eventually, as it's obsolete now).

The old “Minimal development test” [minimal] in Minetest has been replaced by Development Test [devtest].

I didn't write about it, but there has been a large number of updates after I wrote the first post, too many to write about it here. For example, I added lots of sound nodes, more entities, I also listened to developer complaints who also found a few bugs. And there's much more.

Development Test has already helped me uncover numerous bugs in the Minetest engine long before it was merged. But now that it is finally merged, I hope this enables other developers to mess around with engine features more easily. Remember to read the README file if you want to get started.

I predict that Development Test will also make any kind of regressions more obvious, e.g. when suddenly all entities turn red or other silly bugs. ;)

Next up on the agenda is a policy discussion:
https://github.com/minetest/minetest/pull/9928

Updating Development Test just this once is not enough to ensure quality, Development Test needs to be updated regularily so its test cases are always in sync with the current engine. The reason why the old Minimal was in such a bad shape is that it was never updated, and features were added without thinking about adding test cases.

Adding some new policy regarding test cases is an important improvement for the code quality. In the past, many features have been added without any test cases whatsoever, and the ultimate aim is to change this practice. Ideally, we'll be able to catch more bugs before they are merged.

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader