[Mod] Snow, rain, clouds (with sound) [snowdrift]

Astrobe

Re: [Mod] Snow, rain, clouds (with sound) [snowdrift]

by Astrobe » Post

It stops at this height (actually this is configurable IIRC) in order to avoid the "rain under water" problem. AFAIK, this problem exists because particles do not collide with water.

acidzebra

by acidzebra » Post

kestral wrote:https://github.com/kestral246/snowdrift

[...]a list of nearest biome names.
I had a peek at your debug.lua as I'm very interested in biome management; neat! Is there no other way than a manual table to grab a list of active biomes at runtime? Asking because I'm trying to mix multiple mod biomes in a somewhat harmonious way and it would be sweet if I could do a get_registered_biomes call or something like it.

kestral
GitHub: kestral246

by kestral » Post

5.0.0 has minetest.get_biome_data(pos) will give the single closest biome, but I don't know of any other way with 0.4.x.

I found that my scheme didn't correlate 100% with the actual terrain, so for debugging I found it more useful to list all the nearest biomes within a configurable threshhold. I've seen up to four biomes listed with my code, where four biomes meet at a point in the biome map.

I think it was a reference, somewhere in the 21 pages of the mapgen thread, that led me to this scheme. Maybe someone there knows of a better way to do this.

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=15272

grecaandreievich

by grecaandreievich » Post

Hey, nice mod, the rain sound makes the game more relaxing. :D
Hola, papu.

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Post

Earlier i wrote:
> I could send particle spawners instead and spawn 2 raindrops per light-tested position,

I tried this, sending particle spawners instead of individual particles, but this seemed to cause problems, almost as if the rate of sending particle spawners is limited and i had passed that limit. So for now it remains as individual particles, it's the best i can do at the moment. It's a good idea to keep particle count as low as you can considering how this works.

rseguy
In-game: Saphogames

by rseguy » Post

Is it just happening over a region or the whole map at once? Is the change of weather affecting the entire map or just a specefic region

rseguy
In-game: Saphogames

by rseguy » Post

Also, isn't there a possible way to add a semi transparent image directly in the HUD (For snow and sandstorms) that would slightly reduce the view of the player while he is outside in a storm. Could help the performance by reducing the number of particules to generate and slowly make the image more "opaque" on the side

malah

by malah » Post

is it possible to disable this mod above a certain height?

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=16015&p=340496#p340496
malah wrote:Is it possible to add a option to disable the skybox? I think I have some mod conflicting with it (snowdrift)
Shara wrote:A better approach would be if the mods were compatible. If the issue is weather, do you need weather to be active once you are in space?
paramat wrote:Yes that would be the responsibility of snowdrift to not set the skybox above a certain y.

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

> Is the change of weather affecting the entire map or just a specefic region

I hadn't considered that. Currenlty, when it rains/snows, all players see rain/snow as long as they are in areas that allow that rain/snow.
It would be better to use noise to define areas where preceipitation is happening.

> isn't there a possible way to add a semi transparent image directly in the HUD (For snow and sandstorms) that would slightly reduce the view of the player while he is outside in a storm

There is and this has been experimented with 'elsewhere', but it turns out using ground-level cloud (inside which fog is seen) is far more effective at doing this. A semi-transparent screen overlay looks quite bad.

> is it possible to disable this mod above a certain height?

I intend to do that, it was sloppy of me to leave that out.

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

Updated. Found and fixed several issues.
Commit message is:

Add y limits for skybox effects, set to deep ocean and cloud level, independent of the set water level where particles and sounds stop.
Add 'skybox' table to track player sky status to attempt to avoid turning off skyboxes set by other mods, therefore remove randomised and lazy setting of skybox, now happens within 0.5s.
For now, remove predicted player position due to issues, to be re-added later acting horizontally only.

SpaghettiToastBook
In-game: STB

by SpaghettiToastBook » Post

Could you make it so that lightning only strikes while it's raining if sofar's lightning mod is present?
Last edited by SpaghettiToastBook on Fri Feb 01, 2019 00:35, edited 1 time in total.

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

It's impractical to create that sort of deep compatibility with other weather mods as there are so many and there's no way to choose which to be compatible with. It may also be impossible to be compatible with that mod.
Instead it would be better if i added lightning to this mod.

voxelproof

by voxelproof » Post

paramat wrote:It's impractical to create that sort of deep compatibility with other weather mods as there are so many and there's no way to choose which to be compatible with. It may also be impossible to be compatible with that mod.
Instead it would be better if i added lightning to this mod.
Apart from this, lightning actually needs storm clouds and not necessarily rain to strike.
To miss the joy is to miss all. Robert Louis Stevenson

Astrobe

by Astrobe » Post

Paramat, Sofar's lightning mod has an issue in this context: it picks a player at random for the lightning strike, without regard to the local weather conditions. You'll have to modify it so that the strike() function takes a position parameter (around where to strike).

SpaghettiToastBook
In-game: STB

by SpaghettiToastBook » Post

Astrobe wrote:Paramat, Sofar's lightning mod has an issue in this context: it picks a player at random for the lightning strike, without regard to the local weather conditions. You'll have to modify it so that the strike() function takes a position parameter (around where to strike).
The strike function does take a position argument.

Astrobe

by Astrobe » Post

Ah! Oh! I worked from half-erased memory.

strike() does indeed take an argument, but:
- if you don't give one, it will pick around a random player but (usually) won't strike them directly,
- if you do give one, it will strike exactly at that position, no randomization (so static players are guarantied to get fried)

What I did is: move the three lines at the end of the if pos then after the end, so that the position is randomized in both cases.

Another thing to note is that the node doesn't perform protection checks.

grey

by grey » Post

I just tried this and I really like it! It sounds pretty and the rain itself looks likes. I installed it and it works. But:

* It just seems to rain 24/7 without ever changing.
* The instant I go under another object it stops raining. When I go out again the rain starts back up.

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

Code: Select all

local PRECTHR = 0.2 -- Precipitation noise threshold, -1 to 1:
					-- -1 = precipitation all the time
					-- 0 = precipitation half the time
					-- 1 = no precipitation
local FLAKLPOS = 32 -- Snowflake light-tested positions per 0.5s cycle
The default settings in init.lua are for precipitation less than half the time, you can alter this to your taste.
You can also alter the time scale for the weather changes.

> The instant I go under another object it stops raining. When I go out again the rain starts back up.

Yes it's silly but it's quite hard to improve the behaviour. See the discussion and the forks for alternative behaviours.

SAMIAMNOT
In-game: notanewbie

by SAMIAMNOT » Post

Also if you're under a cloud that's not moving it won't stop raining ;)
I test mines.

FreeGamers
GitHub: is proprietary I use NotABug

by FreeGamers » Post

Is it not recommended to run this on a server with multiple players?

I noticed there are many more packets sent with this mod active and the snow/rain seemed to apply to all players at one time regardless of where they were.

Is this the current typical behavior or did I goof somewhere?

Are there any recommended weather mods for dedicated servers?
FreeGamers.org has moved to MeseCraft.net | FreeGamers on this forum is now MeseCraft

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

The network traffic is a problem yes because this mod has to spawn every particle individually using the 'add particle' API, instead of using the 'add particle spawner' API which runs the particale spawner clientside.
How this works really isn't ideal but this is due to current engine limitations.
It's highly recommended to only use this for light rainfall, minimising the number of particles is a very good idea.

FreeGamers
GitHub: is proprietary I use NotABug

by FreeGamers » Post

paramat, its OK,thanks for responding. I took some more time to play around with the settings yesterday and I was able to get the network and CPU/GPU usage to be fairly efficient. I'm using a version of the mod edited by Piezo_ that works with their rain-barrel mod but its mostly the same.

Setting "spawner_density" equal to 3 really helped reduce network usage. I found it was the lowest I could set the amount of particle spawners down to that had the rain spawning areas to be accurate enough for immersion without too many breaks in the rain coverage.

CPU/GPU usage was heavily affected by DROPLPOS, or the number of raindrops spawned. I set this to 128 for users with low end hardware, I tested this on a few laptops with integrated graphics. One was from 2013 with Intel HD4000 and one from 2017 with UHD620, they performed well at this amount of particles. I would have liked it to be around 256 or 512, as I like heavy rain. I even tried 1028 and at one point, and stressed once with 4096, lol.

I set the radius to 24 blocks, 16 felt a bit too limited. 32 was neat but made the rain drops too thin over a larger area.

This was a happy medium between network, cpu/gpu, and the effect itself.
Spoiler
-- Parameters
snowdrift = {}
snowdrift.upperLimit = 130

local PRECTIM = 30 -- Time scale for precipitation variation, in minutes
local PRECTHR = 0.0 -- Precipitation noise threshold, -1 to 1:
-- -1 = precipitation all the time
-- 0 = precipitation half the time
-- 1 = no precipitation
local DROPLPOS = 128 -- Raindrop light-tested positions per cycle
-- Maximum number of raindrops spawned per 0.5s
local RAINGAIN = 1.0 -- Rain sound volume
local NISVAL = 24 -- Overcast sky RGB value at night (brightness)
local DASVAL = 128 -- Overcast sky RGB value in daytime (brightness)
local DROPRAD = 24 -- Radius in which drops are created
local spawner_density = 3 -- Square root of the number of particle spawners to be created.
-- Higher numbers = finer light detection, but more network usage
FreeGamers.org has moved to MeseCraft.net | FreeGamers on this forum is now MeseCraft

kestral
GitHub: kestral246

by kestral » Post

I updated my snowdrift mod.
I've now been able to make six of this mod's abrupt transitions smoother.

Question
Is it possible to disable your new weather mod from within my mod? In 5.2dev, my clouds were glitching until I manually set enable_weather to false.

I guess it's not good to have multiple mods setting conflicting cloud densities.

paramat
Developer

by paramat » Post

https://github.com/minetest/minetest_ga ... es.txt#L77
Hmm i forgot to add this to the 'minetest.conf.example' file.
I am fairly sure there is a way to set a minetest.conf parameter in mod code.

ErrorNull
GitHub: ErrorNull0

by ErrorNull » Post

kestral wrote:I updated my snowdrift mod.
I guess it's not good to have multiple mods setting conflicting cloud densities.
yes. i asked this same question in the modding discussion page and got some good answers here.