[original ideas for new tools]

bosapara

[original ideas for new tools]

by bosapara » Post

I am looking for original ideas and functions for tools: shovel, axe, pickaxe, sword and more.

Several already exist, such as:

[Lava Pick] (burn ore / block, give an example: default:steel_ingot)

[Shovel with silk touch] (give us an example: default:dirt_with_grass)

[Pick with silk touch] (give us an example default:stone_with_coal)

[Axe TreeCapitator] (dig full tree)

[Pick Ore Detector] (can detect all ore when we punch on RMB an example)

[Pick Fortune] (give more ore with some chance)

All ideas that do not upset the game balance are accepted.

Festus1965
GitHub: Festus1965
In-game: Festus1965 Thomas Thailand Explorer

Re: [original ideas for new tools]

by Festus1965 » Post

picke-axt that:
* throws fire sometime like hit ... and if nearby set a coal in fire
* breaks as can happen, demage the owner
* tool slopes from the stick, maybe backward and stuck in some rock, tree or other person, upps
* to tired, hit own feet
so far ...
Human has no future (climate change)
If urgend, you find me in Roblox (as CNXThomas)

durtective6
In-game: derplez or BlockFrog

by durtective6 » Post

I think that, to sort of mirror the pickaxe side of it, perhaps there could be axes that could:
-Give an extra log (to mirror fortune picks)
-Turn the logs straight into planks (to mirror the lava pick)
-Maybe an axe that gives a chance to get sticks and/or apples (more often) from leaves
I'll probably edit this post if I think of any more, I just wanted to get these ideas down.
I'm still here, last time I checked at least.

DrFrankenstone
GitHub: treer

by DrFrankenstone » Post

[Axe with Reach] An axe that has extra long vertical reach - you still have to chop a tree manually but with it you can chop down the tallest trees.

A Minecraft player suggested to me it should have normal horizontal reach so it can't be abused in PvP, though I'm not sure if that matters in Minetest as I don't get involved in pvp so don't know how/if it's balanced in Minetest.

aka long-handled?

ShallowDweller

by ShallowDweller » Post

Not sure if the engine allows those, but...
Stun Sword: reduces the hit entity's speed to 0 for 1~3 seconds (to make them unable to move?)
Dread Sword: inverts the hit entity's speed vector (causing them to move in the oposite direction?) for 2~5 seconds

Eco axe: may cause tree logs to drop saplings
Eco shovel: may cause the dirt blocks to drop a duplicate of the plant above it (to speed up flower farming now that the flora group spreading has been nerfed) example: if there is a tulip on a dirt block and you dig that dirt block with this specific shovel, the dirt block may drop dirt and a tulip (plus the tulip that was uprooted, giving you a chance to obtain a dirt block and 2 tulips in total) I hope that made sense...

Would a multi-purpose(did I spell it right?) tool be possible?

Pick-shovel-axe (pishax?): faster dig speed for blocks mined by pickaxe, shovel and axe alike, having 50%~200% more durability than a pickaxe OR shovel OR axe of the same material. Crafted by combining a pickaxe with a shovel and an axe of the same material. Example: steel pickaxe+steel shovel+steel axe = steel pishax (steel pickaxe-shovel-axe?)
There was a minecraft mod that added a tool like this and was a huge space saver, specialy in adventure mode where the player can't punch trees, dirt and sand and some sandbox games have a tool meant to dig more than one type of block to save inventory space.

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Post

[Sword of the dead] Deals 15 damage to the opponent, but with a 10% risk of being damaged by 15 as well.

[Punchback sword] Teleports the opponent 10m away (any direction) into a free "airlike" spot.
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

Astrobe

by Astrobe » Post

[Crater Shovel] removes all crumbly nodes in a 4m radius.
[Bloodthirsty Sword] gives a chance to heal the wielder when used.
[Flying axe] is thrown. Deals damage if it hits an entity/player, drops the node if it hits a choppy node. Returns to player's inventory/hand if it hits. If it hits nothing (goes out of range), it is lost. If it hits non-choppy node, it is substantially damaged (wear).
[Stairway pick] digs stone into stairways or removes stairways (I bet this one has been done before).

PolySaken
GitHub: PolySaken-I-Am
In-game: PolySaken

by PolySaken » Post

[Splinter Sword]: Sword made from some splintery material like bone that does more damage based on how much durability is lost
[Lucky Find]: Pick that can sometimes get ore from normal/desert stone (even when there's no ore)
[Velocity Blade]: Sword that does more damage the faster the wielder is moving
[Shifty]: Sword/Knife that does 150% damage from behind, maybe even 200% if sneaking (think tf2 spy)
[Earthworm Pick]: Really fast pick that is balanced by having it destroy blocks with no drop
[Leverage]: Sword that has relatively low damage but ignores armor
[Scythe]: Slow weapon that can harvest large areas of wheat, cotton, or papyrus by right-clicking
[Glowing Pick]: Uses a wieldlight to make the user glow when held, good for mining
Guidebook Lib, for in-game docs | Poly Decor, some cool blocks | Vision Lib, an all-purpose library.

Hugues Ross
Developer
GitHub: Df458

by Hugues Ross » Post

[Swap Glove]: Punch any node to select its location, then right click any other node in the world to swap the two nodes locations (including metadata, inventory, etc)

Something like this could be a very interesting mechanic, could let you do something like swap a furnace from your house into a cave that you're mining in, load it with ores, then swap it back into your house for instance. Could also be useful for re-arranging chests and machines, and I'm sure there are plenty of other creative uses for such a tool.

PolySaken
GitHub: PolySaken-I-Am
In-game: PolySaken

by PolySaken » Post

Hugues Ross wrote:[Swap Glove]: Punch any node to select its location, then right click any other node in the world to swap the two nodes locations (including metadata, inventory, etc)

Something like this could be a very interesting mechanic, could let you do something like swap a furnace from your house into a cave that you're mining in, load it with ores, then swap it back into your house for instance. Could also be useful for re-arranging chests and machines, and I'm sure there are plenty of other creative uses for such a tool.
That's a pretty cool idea. I had a similar idea a while ago to make a tool that allows you to pick up one block and replace it anywhere including all metadata and inventories no matter the block type.
Guidebook Lib, for in-game docs | Poly Decor, some cool blocks | Vision Lib, an all-purpose library.

ShallowDweller

by ShallowDweller » Post

Hugues Ross wrote:[Swap Glove]: Punch any node to select its location, then right click any other node in the world to swap the two nodes locations (including metadata, inventory, etc)

This! We need this. I hope the engine allows that <3

Red_King_Cyclops

by Red_King_Cyclops » Post

[Battle Pickaxe] It looks like a cross between a battle axe and a pickaxe. It can be used for combat and mining, making it the ideal tool for the player mining in dangerous caves.
[Boomerang] A ranged weapon. If thrown, it will return to the thrower.
Currently working on new mods.

jonadab
GitHub: tsadok
IRC: jonadab
In-game: jonadab

by jonadab » Post

I'd kind of like to see the material a tool is made from, have some of these effects. Currently, you just always make tools out of the "best" material you happen to have handy, unless it's rare and you're saving it for a more critical tool (e.g., early in the game when your mines aren't that deep yet you might save diamonds for pick-axes and make shovels and such out of iron). This is boring. Granted, certain materials have other uses, but others (notably gold) are largely aesthetic at present. Here is a broad outline of the sort of thing I'd be interested in:

* Basic cheap/renewable materials (wood, stone) have no special effect.

* Diamond (or, maybe mithril from the moreores mod) can potentially mine more than one block at a time, depending on block strength. So for example a diamond pick-axe could go through 2-3 blocks of ordinary stone in one hit, but would not be able to do that with something like mese ore.

* Mese, being the "magic" material in the game, is the obvious candidate for giving you the mined block itself, rather than whatever it would usually drop. I'd call the property "mesetouch." This would let you do things like pick up a stack of otherwise unobtainable dry-dirt-with-dry-grass blocks, so you can terraform the land shape of a savannah area and leave it with a natural-looking surface. Or carry a few stacks of dirt with coniferous forest litter to y=-7683 and build a realistic pine forest deep underground. Or build the roof of your house out of mese ore blocks. Such tools would still be subject to the limits of which blocks any given type of tool can break, so e.g. to pick up the mese ore blocks you'd need a mese pick-axe specifically, a shovel would not do. Perhaps with mods, a mese hoe would let you pick up things like whole watermelons, which normally break into slices when you harvest them.

* Gold, being the universal symbol for wealth, is the obvious candidate for letting you get more material out of an ore block, more saplings from a leaf block, etc.

This leaves room for future expansion and mods.

* If we want a type of tool that literally never breaks forever, obsidian is the obvious choice of material for that. Textures would be needed, but this is mod territory anyway.

* If a mod wants a type of weapon that can do extra damage against werewolves, it can use silver (from the moreores mod) for that.

* If a multiplayer-oriented mod wants a material type that can override ownership and work on other players' nodes, it can either introduce a new material, or use an existing one, depending on how rare or difficult to obtain said tools should be.

And so on.

jonadab
GitHub: tsadok
IRC: jonadab
In-game: jonadab

by jonadab » Post

jonadab wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 18:28
I'd kind of like to see the material a tool is made from, have some of these effects.
I've since implemented this in Minefork.
Link: https://github.com/tsadok/minefork/tree/master

* You do have to use an "appropriate" tool for the node in question, e.g., pick for stone and ores and whatnot, shovel for dirt and dirt-with-grass and such, axe for wood, scythe for plants (apart from tree trunks).

* Mese tools bypass drop specifications and just give you the node that you broke. So for example using a mese shovel on dirt with grass gives you dirt with grass, not plain dirt; a mese pick will let you carry ores around and place them somewhere else if you want, etc. Using a mese pick on stone gives you stone rather than cobble. I even created mese dig heads for digtron.

* Alatro tools subvert the probabilities in drop tables by treating rarity as frequency, so e.g., using an altro shovel on gravel will give you flint most of the time; more practically, an alatro scythe will convert leaves into saplings without needing a whole bunch of rounds of place / break / place / break-again.

* Gold tools give you a chance to get more resources out of blocks that drop something different from the block itself, e.g., using a gold pick on copper ore gives you a chance to get multiple copper nuggets. Note that the usual hardness rules still apply, so for instance you can't break diamond ore with a gold pick, because it's too soft. I consider this limitation a feature rather than a bug.

* Mithril replants whatever it harvests. This is only relevant for the scythe, but other mithril tools are still useful due to mithril's other properties (speed and relative hardness and durability).

* At some point I will probably create a set of otherwise-unremarkable tools that have no limit on uses (like the player's hand) and thus never break, probably out of slade. I might also create tools that are even faster than the mithril ones, possibly out of obsidian.

* Special effects on silver, iron, and wood are reserved for combat-related mods, which I have personally no interest in writing, but I can readily imagine that someone else might want e.g. silver weapons to instakill lycanthropes, or wooden weapons to kill vampires permanently rather than letting them resurrect, or iron to be particularly damaging to elves.

* I also haven't given any special properties to bronze yet, mainly because I just haven't thought of any special property that I want it to have.

* For harvesting a whole tree, of course, just use the Technic chainsaw. I saw no reason to mess with that.

Kostivar

by Kostivar » Post

[Soul Stealer] - A sword that gets stronger when you kill enemies with it
[Last Resort] - A sword that gets stronger the lower your health is, could be combined with self-damage items or a new "iron maiden" armor that would damage the player/lower max health, to keep the sword at its maximal potential.

birdlover32767
In-game: birdlover32767

by birdlover32767 » Post

[Builder's Chisel] Could be used with moreblocks or something, allows you to turn building blocks into patterned variants.
[Healing Sword] A sword made out of apples that heals instead of damaging.
[Longsword] A sword with a long range but a slow punch time.