Servers claiming to offer 0.4 and 5?

redblade7
IRC: redneonglow redblade7
In-game: redblade7 redblade7_owner

Servers claiming to offer 0.4 and 5?

by redblade7 » Post

I'm noticing a number of servers are claiming to offer "0.4 OR 5.0+" support. Anyone have more information about this?

* CatLandia [0.4 OR 5.0+]
* LS-Wonderland [0.4 OR 5.0+]
* Vineland [0.4 OR 5.0+]
-redblade7, admin of: THE CREATIVE GARDENS (creative), THE VALLEYS (sandbox), and THE DIGITAL FARMS (farming/hunger/shops)

bosapara

Re: Servers claiming to offer 0.4 and 5?

by bosapara » Post

From discord:
Eggy1, 10:48
@everyone important announcement! Most major servers are now running on MultiCraft 2.0-beta and SUPPORT CONNECTIONS FROM 0.4 OR 5.0+! This includes: catlandia, ls wonderland, vineland, empire of legends, survivalworks urban edition, steamworks, and frost factions. Multicraft 2.0 is not yet released to the public, EdgyNet is testing beta software. report any bugs to Edgy1. MultiCraft client will also soon be released and will support connecting to any server, 0.4 or 5.0. Minetest 0.4.18-edgy1 will be discontinued in favor of this release.

redblade7

by redblade7 » Post

bosapara wrote:From discord:
Eggy1, 10:48
@everyone important announcement! Most major servers are now running on MultiCraft 2.0-beta and SUPPORT CONNECTIONS FROM 0.4 OR 5.0+! This includes: catlandia, ls wonderland, vineland, empire of legends, survivalworks urban edition, steamworks, and frost factions. Multicraft 2.0 is not yet released to the public, EdgyNet is testing beta software. report any bugs to Edgy1. MultiCraft client will also soon be released and will support connecting to any server, 0.4 or 5.0. Minetest 0.4.18-edgy1 will be discontinued in favor of this release.
Thanks for the info Bosapara!

Anyone know if there any security risks if Minetest 5 users connect to these servers?
-redblade7, admin of: THE CREATIVE GARDENS (creative), THE VALLEYS (sandbox), and THE DIGITAL FARMS (farming/hunger/shops)

sorcerykid
GitHub: sorcerykid
In-game: Nemo

by sorcerykid » Post

I wonder what constitutes "most major servers" or if it's only server's hosted by Edgy1 that are considered major given that Edgy1 is the one making the announcement. Nothing biased or misleading about that statement at all :P

redblade7

by redblade7 » Post

sorcerykid wrote:I wonder what constitutes "most major servers" or if it's only server's hosted by Edgy1 that are considered major given that Edgy1 is the one making the announcement. Nothing biased or misleading about that statement at all :P
Perhaps most major 0.4 servers? I don't use 0.4 anymore so I wouldn't know.

bosapara

by bosapara » Post

redblade7 wrote: Perhaps most major 0.4 servers? I don't use 0.4 anymore so I wouldn't know.
Yes, about 70% users still prefer to use 0.4

sorcerykid wrote:I wonder what constitutes "most major servers" or if it's only server's hosted by Edgy1 that are considered major given that Edgy1 is the one making the announcement. Nothing biased or misleading about that statement at all :P
I guess, Edgy1 just host it.

redblade7

by redblade7 » Post

bosapara wrote:
redblade7 wrote: Perhaps most major 0.4 servers? I don't use 0.4 anymore so I wouldn't know.
How many of those 70% are running fake Google Play or iOS clients though?

bosapara

by bosapara » Post

redblade7 wrote:
bosapara wrote:
How many of those 70% are running fake Google Play or iOS clients though?
~99% as always, main contingent of minetest players (the same for 5.0)

Festus1965
GitHub: Festus1965
In-game: Festus1965 Thomas Thailand Explorer

by Festus1965 » Post

so only solution to set 5.x as main =

stop listening servers that are NOT ONLY 5.x protocol and people HAVE to change to legal 5.x ?
Human has no future (climate change)
If urgend, you find me in Roblox (as CNXThomas)

Edgy1
GitHub: JamesTobin
In-game: Trump

by Edgy1 » Post

"most major servers" = within my network. sorry for the confusion.

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

No worries, you're doing a great job with your servers. Thanks for keeping the spirit of 0.4.x alive :)

Edgy1
GitHub: JamesTobin
In-game: Trump

by Edgy1 » Post

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Post

To be clear, any server offering 0.4 and 5.0 support is not a Minetest server, it is the MultiCraft fork.

> Anyone know if there any security risks if Minetest 5 users connect to these servers?

MultiCraft is one of the best behaved forks of MT in terms of code, i doubt there is a risk.

r1bnc
GitHub: r1bnc
IRC: r1bnc
In-game: r1bnc

by r1bnc » Post

Code: Select all

Multicraft 2.0 is not yet released to the public, EdgyNet is testing beta software.
When will they release it for the public because we have the right to request for the source code as per GNU LGPL,right?
cdb_4afce6e9210a
twitch.tv/r1bnc

MoNTE48
GitHub: MoNTE48
In-game: MoNTE48

by MoNTE48 » Post

r1bnc wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 05:05

Multicraft 2.0 is not yet released to the public, EdgyNet is testing beta software.
When will they release it for the public because we have the right to request for the source code as per GNU LGPL,right?
This will happen sooner or later, but you have no right to request the code, which I use for testing purposes on my PC and do not distribute in binary form anywhere.

r1bnc

by r1bnc » Post

GayJesus wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 20:49
MoNTE48 wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 14:56
r1bnc wrote:

This will happen sooner or later, but you have no right to request the code, which I use for testing purposes on my PC and do not distribute in binary form anywhere.
Does it mine crypto?
most likely x_x
cdb_4afce6e9210a
twitch.tv/r1bnc

r1bnc

by r1bnc » Post

MoNTE48 wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 14:56
r1bnc wrote:

What do you mean no right?
You are violating the LGPL because under the terms you must DISCLOSE the source code when requested. -_-

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-violation.html
cdb_4afce6e9210a
twitch.tv/r1bnc

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

r1bnc wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 01:51
You are violating the LGPL because under the terms you must DISCLOSE the source code when requested. -_-

Not true.

You only need to share the source code if you give binaries to end users. This means that you can modify and use (L)GPL software whilst keeping it to yourself and not need to share the source code - even over a network. But that changes as soon as you give it to someone - the end user.

To require that you share the source code even over a network, we'd need to use the AGPL license
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

r1bnc

by r1bnc » Post

rubenwardy wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 01:56
r1bnc wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 01:51

Not true.

You only need to share the source code if you give binaries to end users. This means that you can modify and use (L)GPL software whilst keeping it to yourself and not need to share the source code - even over a network. But that changes as soon as you give it to someone - the end user.

To require that you share the source code even over a network, we'd need to use the AGPL license
I get it now, thanks for clarifying.
cdb_4afce6e9210a
twitch.tv/r1bnc

sorcerykid

by sorcerykid » Post

I apologize if this is a dumb question, but in one post it says "EdgyNet is testing beta software." but then in another post it's confirmed that the software is only on the developer's PC for testing purposes and is not distributed in binary form anywhere.

Does this mean EdgyNet is using Monte48's home computers and network for server hosting?