[OUTDATED] Polish government boots a Minecraft server

MCL
GitHub: MCLx86
IRC: migdyn
In-game: singleplayer

[OUTDATED] Polish government boots a Minecraft server

by MCL » Post

The server has been shutdown at 12 today

A few days ago, the Polish government booted up a Minecraft server! There is many thing wrong with it:
First, why couldn't they use Minetest instead of Mine$? Nearly every men who posseses Minecraft in Poland uses it illegally (illegal software in Poland is very serious and on a bigger scale than most other countries) so the government is telling peopple to commit a crime by coppying it illegally.

Also Mine craft requires a connection to the Internet and it sends user data to a company in Sweden (Mo Jang Synergies A.B. often stylized as Mojang)

And also why do they even boot the server in the first place? It is really unproffesional of them to host a server for a computer game They spend tax money to host not only a World Wide Web server but a Minecraft server!
And the most important of all: It means that the government endorses such games which could possibly result in injury such as eye strain and non-straight spine. Instead it should promote children to stay outside and do more healthy stuff either more.
Last edited by MCL on Sun Mar 29, 2020 19:20, edited 1 time in total.
2014-02-14 - 2024-02-14 TEN YEARS OF MCL

Hume2
GitHub: Hume2
In-game: Hume2

Re: Polish government boots a Minecraft server (with tax mon

by Hume2 » Post

Indeed, the players have to either obtain an illegal version or to send money abroad to buy it legally. The second option might be even worse in the current situation because it's not the right time to export money for such things. If they chose Minetest instead, they would only need someone to moderate it. And when someone likes Mine$ more, he can still play it on the existing Mine$ servers as he used to.
If you lack the reality, go on a trip or find a job.

davidthecreator
GitHub: daviddoesminetest
In-game: DavidDoesMinetest

by davidthecreator » Post

If only they knew MineTest existed...

MCL

by MCL » Post

Hume2 wrote:Indeed, the players have to either obtain an illegal version or to send money abroad to buy it legally. The second option might be even worse in the current situation because it's not the right time to export money for such things. If they chose Minetest instead, they would only need someone to moderate it. And when someone likes Mine$ more, he can still play it on the existing Mine$ servers as he used to.
They already have a few people to moderate the Minecraft server, however that doesn't stop people from building Smoleńsk or texts saying thing like "Kill the president" or other political hate speech

Zughy
GitHub: belongs_to_microsoft
In-game: Zughy

by Zughy » Post

Guys, slow down: a lot of people don't know anything about the existence of Minetest, let's just not point the finger at them. I don't think people in any government are aware of Minetest and they know about MineCRAFT just because their children are constantly talking about it (playing it, watching gameplays, requesting merchandising etc.). So my suggestion is to not be angry at them IF they don't know. And if they know, give them the time to process it (they might care one day as well as not, but you can't control them; and you're of course free to judge them).

That being said, you alone (nor I, nor any single person) can't change the government, especially in a time like this (I'm from Italy). What you CAN do, on the contrary, is widen the community of Minetest doing what you do best or what you feel like doing the most. I really do believe Minetest is gonna have more content and players than Minecraft in the long run if it plays its hand in the right way. I, for instance, have been working in these days on a Quake Mod and on a texture pack to release as fast as I can on an Italian server because I want people to unburden the anxiety and the boredom of these days, while at the same time the whole community can benefit from them (if they're good :D). As you said, a lot of people have the SP version - AKA the cracked version - of Minecraft, so they'll be the first to transition. Kind of sad maybe, but people love free stuff and they don't ask too many questions about it. The difference is that here nobody is collecting data in order to profile anyone's habits.

About the government, I agree with you, it shouldn't be their worrying. It's plenty of MineCRAFT servers out there, I don't understand why they'd need the national one (as I'm sure you have tons of server in Poland too).

Last but not least, we should judge the health routine based on the circumstances. For instance, due to the COVID-19 you can't even leave your courtyard here in Italy. And not everyone has a courtyard, therefore playing videogames is one of the few things you can actually do to take your mind off. Especially online videogames, as they can connect you with the rest of the world (of course people shouldn't play videogames all day long, but I hope anyone take this for granted).

Hume2

by Hume2 » Post

migdyn wrote: They already have a few people to moderate the Minecraft server, however that doesn't stop people from building Smoleńsk or texts saying thing like "Kill the president" or other political hate speech
And what about other Polish servers? Don't they have the same problems too? Well, it is possible that some kids might think that the politicans read the hate speech on that server, so they would do hate-speech far more than on different servers. If this is such a problem, it only proves that running such server is not worth it.

I think, the ministry of digitalisation just needs to show that they are doing something useful to hide the important problems which they can't/don't want to solve.

MCL

by MCL » Post

Hume2 wrote: And what about other Polish servers? Don't they have the same problems too?
I don't play Minecraft, but most other Polish servers that I have seen do not have that problem (at least not on such a big scale). When somebody create something for children, it usually attracts the opposite type of people. The same thing happened to the Vatican Minecraft Server, the Dutch government server, and a few other things. It looks like the text in chat on those servers is even more offensive that the one in 2b2t! The second reason people to this is probably that they have spent 200 thousand goldens (about $80 000), when the average Minecraft server hosting company offers server hosting for prices as low as 7 golden (about $2) per month. They didn't publish the price on their WWW site, and the 200 000zł came from an e-mail response to the inquiry from a person, the person then sent the alleged response to Facebook, so there's a chance that the e-mail is fake.

Hume2

by Hume2 » Post

So if they donated existing Mine$ servers instead, this problem wouldn't exist.

voxelproof

by voxelproof » Post

migdyn wrote:Nearly every men who posseses Minecraft in Poland uses it illegally (illegal software in Poland is very serious and on a bigger scale than most other countries)
Yup, indeed it is. Years ago I myself enjoyed cracking some proprietary software using hex editors, just for fun and satisfaction. I think it's sort of a cultural issue - intellectual property hasn't settled in Polish minds as anything real yet ;)
It means that the government endorses such games which could possibly result in injury such as eye strain and non-straight spine. Instead it should promote children to stay outside and do more healthy stuff either more.
Come on, in the time of closed schools and possible total lockdown of the country it's not so bad ;)
To miss the joy is to miss all. Robert Louis Stevenson

Festus1965
GitHub: Festus1965
In-game: Festus1965 Thomas Thailand Explorer

Polish government boots a Minecraft server (with tax mon

by Festus1965 » Post

voxelproof wrote:Come on, in the time of closed schools and possible total lockdown of the country it's not so bad ;)
that is the only true point,

and as of not promoting minetest as I asked that last year in a Thread ... the mistake is on us !
Human has no future (climate change)
If urgend, you find me in Roblox (as CNXThomas)

Stix
IRC: nil
In-game: Stix [+alts]

by Stix » Post

This elitist anti-MC sentiment is honestly absurd, oh, someones using MC instead of MT? be realistic, most people don't know about MT, and honestly, we have very little that outshines MC in terms of gameplay.

If someone/some entity picks MC over MT, either because they prefer it or don't know about MT, do you really feel the need to bitch about them? If your actually concerned about MT becoming more popular/used instead of MC, there's many ways you could contribute, such as engine work, modding, texturing, or even just contributing to the community of your favorite server (and there's a lot of other things you could do as well).

Just tone it down with the bitching please, you aren't helping anybody.
Hey, what can i say? I'm the bad guy.