Question about adding biomes in v6 gen without hard coding

Cartmic

Question about adding biomes in v6 gen without hard coding

by Cartmic » Post

Is it possible to add an extra biome to a v6 world using lua?

Was that what was originally done with the Snow Biomes mod?
Trailgen A C++ mgv6-like mapgen using the biome api viewtopic.php?f=7&t=26751

Eran

Re: Question about adding biomes in v6 gen without hard codi

by Eran » Post

You can't add biomes to v6 but you might be able to achieve what you want using ores and the right noise params.

v-rob
Developer
GitHub: v-rob
IRC: v-rob

by v-rob » Post

Currently, there is no easy way besides something like a ridiculous solution with voxelmanip.

I believe paramat is working on a new version of v6 that uses the modern biome system instead of hardcoded biomes.
Core Developer | My Best Mods: Bridger - Slats - Stained Glass

ShadMOrdre

by ShadMOrdre » Post

You can always do what I've done in lib_materials / lib_ecology. The trick should work, since this should not use registered biomes, but it would instead use registered ores.

In lib_mat / lib_eco, I spawn various other dirt / grass combinations within a registered biomes top node, usually a "dirt with grass" type node. Spawning dry grass into grass, in this case, would net you two separate "ecosystems".

Decorations are registered to both the biome, and the dirt type, so that dry grass in arid areas spawn acacia trees, while in a temperate or humid area, you could spawn pine trees. This would give you two distinct "biomes" or ecosystems. While not "normal", I would argue that this is just as valid a method as the usual biome registration, but this method adds quite a bit of versatility.

You could easily spawn dry grass, coniferous litter, and rainforest litter into dirt with grass for completely different look and feel. You can also spawn each into the others for instant expansion of v6 biomes, without any more effort than registering some ores and new decorations.

Shad

Cartmic

by Cartmic » Post

Eran wrote:You can't add biomes to v6 but you might be able to achieve what you want using ores and the right noise params.
Thanks Eran.
Eran wrote: Currently, there is no easy way besides something like a ridiculous solution with voxelmanip.

I believe paramat is working on a new version of v6 that uses the modern biome system instead of hardcoded biomes.
That's good news!
ShadMOrdre wrote:You can always do what I've done in lib_materials / lib_ecology. The trick should work, since this should not use registered biomes, but it would instead use registered ores.
Thanks Shad, that's really helpful, I'll see what I can do.
Trailgen A C++ mgv6-like mapgen using the biome api viewtopic.php?f=7&t=26751

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Post

> Is it possible to add an extra biome to a v6 world using lua?

Not by registering a biome using the Biome API, mgv6 does not use the various Biome APIs.
But you can do anything using Lua mapgen code in a mod, as in the old 'snowbiomes' mod.

> I believe paramat is working on a new version of v6 that uses the modern biome system instead of hardcoded biomes.

I now think that is not such a good idea. Besides, mgv7 can be made to look almost identical to mgv6 using custom noise parameters.