Mine Little Pony model for Minetest?

MirceaKitsune
GitHub: MirceaKitsune
IRC: Taoki
In-game: MirceaKitsune

Mine Little Pony model for Minetest?

by MirceaKitsune » Post

As I mentioned previously, I'm always looking for creature models to add to my Creatures system and potentially other mods. Being a brony, I'm especially interested in a pony model! More so since in Minecraft, I use a client mod known as Mine Little Pony for years now. There are already a ton of skins for it (not sure which are freely licensed) and the UV layout is documented on their website as well.

The main reason why I've started this thread to ask is because someone actually did this in Minetest already. Several months ago, a test server was briefly online, supposedly featuring an experimental MLP game for Minetest. I logged in and as expected, it also had animated 3D player models, running on the Mine Little Pony textures. The server no longer seems to be online now, but thankfully I took a few screenshots when I was there:
Spoiler
So my question was if the developer of this mod is still around, and has made that model available or might be willing to. If not, has anyone else attempted to re-create the Mine Little Pony model in Blender? Obviously I can try it myself, which I probably will at some point if no one else has done this already... I still thought to ask first however.

invaderzim

Re: Mine Little Pony model for Minetest?

by invaderzim » Post

I love my little pony too and love this idea plz pm me the server name I will surely visit

MirceaKitsune
GitHub: MirceaKitsune
IRC: Taoki
In-game: MirceaKitsune

by MirceaKitsune » Post

invaderzim wrote:I love my little pony too and love this idea plz pm me the server name I will surely visit
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=11165

IcyDiamond
GitHub: LunaSquee
IRC: IcyDiamond
In-game: IcyDiamond

by IcyDiamond » Post

Hello, I am an ex-watcher of the pony show but I would be interested in a minetest Mine Little Pony port.

However, several issues I have noticed with this. It seems like the model used in Mine Little Pony was entirely procedural and when Minecraft introduced their new complicated json format, it was ported to that and its still incredibly procedural so no hope in getting a blender file.

I have some experience with blender and I have experience modding for minetest so I can say that this might not be entirely impossible but I have concerns about how different races and skins would work.
First off all, the race and gender are defined by little pixels on the skin texture itself and minetest has no way of reading pixels on an image. Secondly, it does not seem like there is any way to "turn on or off" certain parts of a mesh for this to work and any attempts to combine meshes could only be possible using separate entities which would get very messy very fast. Or you could have a separate mesh for every single race, gender, mane/tail style etc..

Basically what I'm saying is that it's only plausible to make a very static, very non-customizable character model and I personally don't think it's worth it. Anyone can correct me if I'm wrong on this.
Web developer | Systems Administrator