[mod] WorldEditAdditions [1.14] [worldeditaddtions]

Starbeamrainbowlabs
GitHub: sbrl

[mod] WorldEditAdditions [1.14] [worldeditaddtions]

by Starbeamrainbowlabs » Post

Hey there! I thought I'd make a proper post about my worldeditadditions mod, since it seems to be quite popular (10K downloads? Wow, thanks everyone!)

At first it was just a quick simple mod that contains a few extra worldedit commands, but it seems to have grown quite a bit since then :P

Note that I consider this mod stable, and production-ready (so if you find any bugs, please report them). Despite this, new commands will be added in future releases (ideas and especially pull requests welcome!).

Website: https://worldeditadditions.mooncarrot.space/ (new June 2021! Has more screenshots, information, tutorials, and a full and searchable reference!)

Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/y8VT6HTQr7
Extra tools and commands to extend WorldEdit for Minetest

If you can dream of it, it probably belongs here!

► News

IMPORTANT: The master branch of the git repository has been renamed to main, to follow the new standard across the Git ecosystem. If you've installed WorldEditAadditions through git before 2021-04-01, you will need to re-clone the repository.

v1.14: The multipoint update (11th July 2023)
  • Add //dome+[/backcolor], which allows you to change the direction the dome is pointing in, and also create multiple domes at once
  • Add //metaball[/backcolor], which renders 2 or more metaballs in Minetest
  • Significant backend refactoring to tidy things up
  • Add new multi-point selection wand Image to select many points at once.
  • Implement custom region boxing UI, which replaces the WorldEdit region box when using WorldEditAdditions wands.
    • Is backwards compatible with regular WorldEdit wands and tools, as WorldEditAdditions keeps the new positioning system in sync with WorldEdit's.
    • The new multipoint wand required this as a prerequisite
  • Add //pos[/backcolor], for setting any numbered point (i.e. not just pos1 and pos2, but pos3 and beyond)
  • Add //spline[/backcolor], for drawing curved lines with an arbitrary number of points (uses the new multi-point wand)
  • Add //revolve[/backcolor], which makes multiple evenly-spaced rotated copies of the defined region (uses the new multi-point wand)
  • //copy+[/backcolor], //move+:
    • Added support for integrated airapply mode, which replaces nodes at the target only if they are air - append airapply/aa to the command to use
    • Respect node rotation (i.e. param2) when copying/moving
    • Override //move and //copy by default
Bugfixes and changes
  • Migrate from depends.txt to mod.conf
  • Cloud wand: fix typo in item description.
  • Commands that modify the terrain now ignore liquids
  • //sculpt:
    • Fix undefined default brush
    • Change defaults to circle, height=1, and brushsize=8.
    • Change argument ordering to put height after brushsize instead of the other way around
  • //hollow: Fix safe region bug
  • Make //pos1, //1, //pos2, //2, //mark, //unmark, and //reset aware of the new WEA positioning system
History:
Spoiler
  • v1.13: The transformational update (2nd January 2022)
    • Add //sfactor (selection factor) - Selection Tools by @VorTechnix are finished for now.
    • Add //mface (measure facing), //midpos (measure middle position), //msize (measure size), //mtrig (measure trigonometry) - Measuring Tools implemented by @VorTechnix.
    • Add //airapply for applying commands only to air nodes in the defined region
    • Add //wcorner (wireframe corners), //wbox (wireframe box), //wcompass (wireframe compass) - Wireframes implemented by @VorTechnix.
    • Add //for for executing commands while changing their arguments - Implemented by @VorTechnix.
    • Add //sshift (selection shift) - WorldEdit cuboid manipulator replacements implemented by @VorTechnix.
    • Add //noise2d for perturbing terrain with multiple different noise functions
    • Add //noiseapply2d for running commands on columns where a noise value is over a threshold
    • Add //ellipsoid2 which creates an ellipsoid that fills the defined region
    • Add //spiral2 for creating both square and circular spirals
    • Add //copy+ for copying a defined region across multiple axes at once
    • Add //move+ for moving a defined region across multiple axes at once
    • Add //sculpt and //sculptlist for sculpting terrain using a number of custom brushes.
    • Use luacheck to find and fix a large number of bugs and other issues (code quality from now on will be significantly improved)
    • Multiple commands: Allow using quotes ("thing", 'thing') to quote values when splitting
    • //layers: Add optional slope constraint (inspired by WorldPainter)
    • //bonemeal: Add optional node list constraint
    • //walls: Add optional thickness argument
    • //sstack: Add human-readable approx volumes of regions in the selection stack
    • Bugfixes:
      • //floodfill: Fix crash caused by internal refactoring of the Queue data structure
      • //spop: Fix wording in displayed message
      • Sapling alias compatibility:
      • Correct alias of default:sapling from oak to apple (since it produces apples)
      • moretrees:appletreesaplingongen from apple to applemoretrees
      • Add plumplumtree:sapling
      • Add hollyhollytree:sapling
      • //replacemix: Improve error handling to avoid crashes (thanks, Jonathon for reporting via Discord!)
      • Cloud wand: Improve chat message text
      • Fix bonemeal mod detection to look for the global bonemeal, not whether the bonemeal mod name has been loaded
      • //bonemeal: Fix argument parsing
      • //walls: Prevent crash if no parameters are specified by defaulting to dirt as the replace_node
      • //maze, //maze3d:
      • Fix generated maze not reaching the very edge of the defined region
      • Fix crash if no arguments are specified
      • Fix automatic seed when generating many mazes in the same second (e.g. with //for, //many)
      • //convolve: Fix those super tall pillars appearing randomly
      • cloud wand: improve feedback messages sent to players
      • //forest: Update sapling aliases for bamboobambo:sprout instead of bamboo:sapling
[*] v1.12: The selection tools update (26th June 2021)
  • Add //spush, //spop, and //sstack
  • Add //srect (_select rectangle_), //scol (_select column_), //scube (_select cube_)
  • thanks, @VorTechnix!
  • Add //scloud (_select point cloud_), //scentre (_select centre node(s)_), //srel (_select relative_) - thanks, @VorTechnix!
  • Add //smake (_selection make_)
  • thanks, @VorTechnix!
  • Significantly refactored backend utility functions (more to come in future updates)
  • Add new universal chance parsing
    • Any <chance> can now either be a 1-in-N number (e.g. 4, 10), or a percentage chance (e.g. 50%, 10%).
    • Caveat: Percentages are converted to a 1-in-N chance, but additionally that number is rounded down in some places
  • //torus, //hollowtorus: Add optional new axes
  • //torus, //ellipsoid: Add optional hollow keyword
  • @VorTechnix
  • //multi: Add curly brace syntax for nesting command calls (more information)
  • //erode: Add new river erosion algorithm for filling in potholes and removing pillars
  • Bugfixes
    • //bonemeal: Try bonemealing everything that isn't an air block (#49)
    • //overlay: Don't place nodes above water
    • //multi: Improve resilience by handling some edge cases
    • //layers: Fix crash due to outdated debug code
    • //erode/snowballs: Fix assignment to undeclared variable
    • //floodfill: Fix error handling

[*] 25th January 2021: v1.11 - The Big Data Update
  • Add //scale (currently experimental)
    • Scale operations that scale up and down at the same time are split into 2 separate operations automatically (scaling up is always performed first)
  • //count: Make numbers human-readable
  • Tip: Use a monospace font for the chat window, and the columns will be aligned!
  • Add //hollow for hollowing out areas (a step towards parity with Minecraft WorldEdit)
  • //subdivide: Fix performance, bugs, & memory usage issues
    • Fix passing arguments to the command being executed
    • If you encounter any other issues with it over large areas (particularly 2000x150x2000 and larger), please let me know
  • Bugfix: Fix obscure crash in calls to human_size ("unknown" will now be returned if passed junk)
  • //many can now be used with commands with no arguments.
  • //conv, //erode, //fillcaves: Treat liquids as air
  • Add new cloud wand
  • //conv, //erode: minor refactoring to improve code clarity
[*] 16th January 2021: v1.10 - The tidyup update
  • //maze: Fix some parts of generated mazes staying solid
  • //maze, //maze3d: Allow non-number seeds (existing seeds aren't affected
  • they will still produce identical output)
  • //many: Improve format of progress messages, add ETA
  • //subdivide: Make asynchronous, and use minetest.emerge_area() to ensure areas are loaded before executing on a subdivision chunk
    • This will ensure that //subdivideing enormous regions should now function as expected. Want to level an entire rainforest with //subdivide and //clearcut? Now you can! :D
  • Add //line for drawing simple lines
[*] 20th September 2020: v1.9 - The Nature Update
  • Add //many for executing a command many times in a row
  • Add experimental //erode command
  • Add //fillcaves command - fills in all air nodes beneath non air-nodes
  • Add //forest command for quickly generating forests, and //saplingaliases to compliment it
  • Add //ellipsoidapply: Like //cubeapply, but clips the result to an ellipsoid that is the size of the defined region.
  • Fix some minor bugs and edge cases
  • //subdivide: Print status update when completing the last chunk
  • //count: Optimise by removing nested for loops
[*] 17th July 2020: v1.8 - The Quality of Life Update
  • Update //multi to display human readable times (e.g. 2.11mins instead of 126600ms)
  • Far wand: Notify player when setting pos1 and pos2
  • Make timings more accurate (use minetest.get_us_time() instead of os.clock())
  • Add experimental //subdivide command to split large command invocations into smaller chunks
  • Attempt to fix a crash on startup due to a dependency issue (#21)
[*] 21st June 2020: v1.7 - The Terrain Update!
  • Added //layers (like WorldEdit for Minecraft's //naturalize)
  • Added //convolve (advanced terrain smoothing inspired by image editors)
  • Added far wand (like the regular WorldEdit wand, but with a configurable range that can extend to 100s of blocks)
[*] Earlier History
[/list]
See the full changelog here

► Summary

Summary of commands implemented so far:
  • //floodfill [<replace_node> [<radius>]]
  • //overlay <node_name_a> [<chance_a>] <node_name_b> [<chance_b>] [<node_name_N> [<chance_N>]] ...
  • //ellipsoid <rx> <ry> <rz> <node_name>
  • //hollowellipsoid <rx> <ry> <rz> <node_name>
  • //torus <major_radius> <minor_radius> <node_name>
  • //hollowtorus <major_radius> <minor_radius> <node_name>
  • //line [<replace_node> [<radius>]]
  • //maze <replace_node> [<seed>]`
  • //maze3d <replace_node> [<seed>]`
  • //bonemeal [<strength> [<chance>]]
  • //walls <replace_node>
  • //replacemix <target_node> [<chance>] <replace_node_a> [<chance_a>] [<replace_node_b> [<chance_b>]] [<replace_node_N> [<chance_N>]] ....
  • //count
  • //convolve <kernel> [<width>[,<height>]] [<sigma>]
  • //layers [<node_name_1> [<layer_count_1>]] [<node_name_2> [<layer_count_2>]] ...
  • Far wand (also //farwand skip_liquid (true|false) | maxdist <number>)
  • //multi <command_a> <command_b> .....
  • //subdivide <size_x> <size_y> <size_z> <cmd_name> <args>
  • //erode [<snowballs|...> [<key_1> [<value_1>]] [<key_2> [<value_2>]] ...]
  • //fillcaves [<node_name>]
  • //many <times> <command>
  • //forest [<density>] <sapling_a> [<chance_a>] <sapling_b> [<chance_b>] [<sapling_N> [<chance_N>]] ...
  • //saplingaliases [aliases|all_saplings]
  • //erode [<snowballs|...> [<key_1> [<value_1>]] [<key_2> [<value_2>]] ...] experimental
  • //ellipsoidapply <command_name> <args>
  • //hollow [<wall_thickness>]
  • //scale <axis> <scale_factor> | <factor_x> [<factor_y> <factor_z> [<anchor_x> <anchor_y> <anchor_z>]] experimental
  • //scol [<axis1> ] <length>
  • //srect [<axis1> [<axis2>]] <length>
  • //scube [<axis1> [<axis2> [<axis3>]]] <length>
  • //scloud <0-6|stop|reset>
  • //scentre
  • //srel <axis1> <length1> [<axis2> <length2> [<axis3> <length3>]]
  • //smake <operation:odd|even|equal> <mode:grow|shrink|average> [<target=xz> [<base>]]
  • //sstack
  • //spush
  • //spop
Check the official searchable reference for an updated list, as well as comprehensive explanations and usage examples: https://worldeditadditions.mooncarrot.space/Reference/

Also check out the chat command cookbook for useful commands other users have discovered. Got a useful command (set) that isn't on the list? Get in touch! I'll add it and give you credit for discovering it.

► Screenshots

Here are a few screenshots showing some of the commands in action:

Above: A torus upon which //overlay has been used. Also a hollow ellipsoid that has been //floodfilled.

Here are some more screenshots:
Spoiler

Above: A 2D hedge maze (//maze) fashioned from leaves.

Above: Some smooth terrain created with the WorldEdit brush, followed by WorldEditAdditions' //convolve command to smooth it out.

Above: A torus half-buried in the ground that has been subjected to //layers (aka //naturalise) and //bonemeal.

Above: A scene demonstrating //walls, //replacemix, //convolve, //floodfill, //ellipsoid, //layers, and //bonemeal (all of which are provided by WorldEditAdditions).

Above: The inside of a 3-dimensional maze (//maze3d). 3D mazes are pretty difficult to get a good screenshot of, so you should download this mod and check them out for yourself :D (have you got a better one? Let me know and I'll include it here!)

Have you got a cool build for which you used WorldEditAdditions? Get in touch and I'll feature your screenshot here!

► Download

I strongly recommend using git to clone the repository to install this mod. If you can't, then I've provided an always up-to-date download link too :-)

Note that if I don't reply to your message on here, I'll be much more responsive if you open an issue against the repository.

Please also review on Content DB!

Image Repository | Clone | ContentDB | Download (Previous versions) | Issue Tracker | Image

Mod dependencies: worldedit (the WorldEdit API is used by pretty much every command in this mod)

Optional mod dependencies:
  • bonemeal: Enables the //bonemeal command
  • cool_trees, ethereal: Aliases for referencing provided saplings for use in //forest
Last edited by Starbeamrainbowlabs on Mon Jul 31, 2023 19:38, edited 28 times in total.

pampogokiraly
In-game: i_love_mesecon

Re: [mod] WorldEditAdditions [1.3.1] [worldeditaddtions]

by pampogokiraly » Post

This looks cool! But as always i have some ideas to improve it:
  • Extend the move command with an optional [block_name] so worldedit only moves those blocks
    Example: //move y 17 default:dirt_with_grass
  • I would love to see the same thing with the stack command.
    Example: //stack z -4 default:dirt, akosdecor:full_tree
I also had some more ideas but i actualy forget them XD
I'll edit this comment if i get them back!
All praise the Bacon God! The one and only god in MineTest

Starbeamrainbowlabs

pampogokiraly wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 14:23
This looks cool! But as always i have some ideas to improve it:
  • Extend the move command with an optional [block_name] so worldedit only moves those blocks
    Example: //move y 17 default:dirt_with_grass
  • I would love to see the same thing with the stack command.
    Example: //stack z -4 default:dirt, akosdecor:full_tree
I also had some more ideas but i actualy forget them XD
I'll edit this comment if i get them back!
Hey there, @pampogokiraly! Those are great suggestions. They would have to be new commands though, since unless I make a PR against WorldEdit itself, I can't edit the existing commands as far as I'm aware.

Certainly do-able though. Could you open an issue in the GitHub repository please though? I'm probably going to forget otherwise (a pull request would also be awesome :D)

Miniontoby
GitHub: Miniontoby
IRC: Miniontoby
In-game: Miniontoby

by Miniontoby » Post

This is cool.

I want also the //replacenear and //walls cmd to be added
Working on mtctl ---- Check my mod "Doorbell" -- Stay safe

Starbeamrainbowlabs

Miniontoby wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 17:34
This is cool.

Thanks, @Miniontoby! Could you open an issue about those commands please? Here's the link: https://github.com/sbrl/Minetest-WorldE ... issues/new. 1 issue per command with details about how they would work would be great if possible.

I'm liable to forget about it without a tracking issue on GitHub.

Thanks again!

pampogokiraly
In-game: i_love_mesecon

by pampogokiraly » Post

Starbeamrainbowlabs wrote:GitHub repository please though?
Can someone make an issue for me? I don't have a GitHub account and i don't want to create one....
All praise the Bacon God! The one and only god in MineTest

Starbeamrainbowlabs

pampogokiraly wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 14:58
Starbeamrainbowlabs wrote:GitHub repository please though?
Can someone make an issue for me? I don't have a GitHub account and i don't want to create one....
I always try to give people a chance at first to create their own issues, because they can explain it better than I can.

Thinking about it though, it would have to be a completely new command. The reason for this is that in order to extend the original WorldEdit commands, I'd have to either open an issue or a pull request against WorldEdit itself. Which do you think is the better option, @pampogokiraly?
  • Open an issue again WorldEdit itself to ask the feature to me considered (not my mod)
  • Implement a new command that's a copy of the existing one that has the new functionality
Personally, I'd prefer to take this up with WorldEdit itself. This way we don't duplicate code and effort, but I'm interested to hear your opinion on the issue.

GreenXenith
GitHub: GreenXenith

by GreenXenith » Post

Starbeamrainbowlabs wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 23:18
They would have to be new commands though, since unless I make a PR against WorldEdit itself, I can't edit the existing commands as far as I'm aware.
minetest.override_chatcommand(name, redefinition)
YouTube | Mods | Patreon | Minetest Discord @greenxenith

You should not be able to read this message.

Starbeamrainbowlabs

GreenXenith wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 02:58
minetest.override_chatcommand(name, redefinition)
Ah, I wasn't aware of that one - thanks!

I'm still a bit uncomfortable with overriding a WorldEdit command - I still think that an update to //move and //stack (and maybe even //stack2 as well?) would be much more effectively implemented via a pull request against WorldEdit.

To this end, I think the first step here is to open an issue against WorldEdit to ask for their opinion about it. If they agree, then we can look at implementation.

My goal with WorldEditAdditions isn't to replace WorldEdit, but to compliment it. To that effect, I'd rather like to avoid duplicating as much effort as possible.

Starbeamrainbowlabs

Miniontoby wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 17:34
This is cool.

Hey there! I don't know if this will generate a notification for you, but I thought you'd like to know that I've implemented both of the commands you asked for - well as far as I understood what you're asking for. //walls was implemented between v1.3 and v1.6 I think. I interpreted //replacenear to be something more like //ellipsoidapply, though I think I might have misinterpreted.

Either way, for anyone else reading, v1.9 is now out!

This one has a number of new juicy commands in it that are sure to spice up your builds. I'm also currently on the lookout for cool screenshots of builds made with WorldEditAdditions to feature in this forum thread :D

Here's the changelog:
  • Add //many for executing a command many times in a row
  • Add experimental //erode command
  • Add //fillcaves command - fills in all air nodes beneath non air-nodes
  • Add //forest command for quickly generating forests, and //saplingaliases to compliment it
  • Add //ellipsoidapply: Like //cubeapply, but clips the result to an ellipsoid that is the size of the defined region.
  • Fix some minor bugs and edge cases
  • //subdivide: Print status update when completing the last chunk
  • //count: Optimise by removing nested for loops
See the GitHub release for more info, and the download links in the main post in this forum thread for download links.

lonestar

Re: [mod] WorldEditAdditions [1.9] [worldeditaddtions]

by lonestar » Post

I'm getting this error:

Code: Select all

2020-09-23 19:23:25: ERROR[Main]: ModError: Failed to load and run script from /home/lonestar/minetest/stable/minetest/bin/../mods/Minetest-WorldEditAdditions/worldeditadditions_commands/init.lua:
2020-09-23 19:23:25: ERROR[Main]: ...s/worldeditadditions_commands/commands/floodfill.lua:6: attempt to call field 'register_command' (a nil value)
2020-09-23 19:23:25: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2020-09-23 19:23:25: ERROR[Main]: 	...s/worldeditadditions_commands/commands/floodfill.lua:6: in main chunk
2020-09-23 19:23:25: ERROR[Main]: 	[C]: in function 'dofile'
2020-09-23 19:23:25: ERROR[Main]: 	...ldEditAdditions/worldeditadditions_commands/init.lua:22: in main chunk
2020-09-23 19:23:25: ERROR[Main]: Check debug.txt for details.
2020-09-23 19:23:25: ACTION[Main]: Server: Shutting down
NM, re-downloaded WorldEdit, even though I just updated it and all works.

Starbeamrainbowlabs

Re: [mod] WorldEditAdditions [1.9] [worldeditaddtions]

lonestar wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 00:29
I'm getting this error:

2020-09-23 19:23:25: ERROR[Main]: ModError: Failed to load and run script from /home/lonestar/minetest/stable/minetest/bin/../mods/Minetest-WorldEditAdditions/worldeditadditions_commands/init.lua:
2020-09-23 19:23:25: ERROR[Main]: ...s/worldeditadditions_commands/commands/floodfill.lua:6: attempt to call field 'register_command' (a nil value)
2020-09-23 19:23:25: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2020-09-23 19:23:25: ERROR[Main]: 	...s/worldeditadditions_commands/commands/floodfill.lua:6: in main chunk
2020-09-23 19:23:25: ERROR[Main]: 	[C]: in function 'dofile'
2020-09-23 19:23:25: ERROR[Main]: 	...ldEditAdditions/worldeditadditions_commands/init.lua:22: in main chunk
2020-09-23 19:23:25: ERROR[Main]: Check debug.txt for details.
2020-09-23 19:23:25: ACTION[Main]: Server: Shutting down
NM, re-downloaded WorldEdit, even though I just updated it and all works.
Yeah, that error is caused by an outdated version of WorldEdit.

hacknorris
GitHub: hacknorris-aka-penguin
IRC: hacknorris
In-game: hacknorris

Re: [mod] WorldEditAdditions [1.13] [worldeditaddtions]

by hacknorris » Post

just a question - how can i make maze 3 cubes heigh ? like i make a bottom-left corner, upper-right corner in 2d and pass 3 nodes as height? im not into any ai/randomness i just want a maze... for another player so he doesnt see all maze (for this 3 nodes high lol)

Starbeamrainbowlabs

Re: [mod] WorldEditAdditions [1.13] [worldeditaddtions]

hacknorris wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 18:09
just a question - how can i make maze 3 cubes heigh ? like i make a bottom-left corner, upper-right corner in 2d and pass 3 nodes as height? im not into any ai/randomness i just want a maze... for another player so he doesnt see all maze (for this 3 nodes high lol)
Apologies for not seeing this question sooner. I do not check the forums often, and it doesn't seem to email me when someone comments.

If you are using //maze, then the maze will be as tall as the defined region. So if you select a region that is 3 nodes high, then the maze walls will be 3 nodes high to fill the defined region.

If you are using //maze3d, then it's the `path_depth` parameter. So, for example:

//maze3d dirt 2 1 1
...would produce a 3d maze as normal, but:

//maze3d dirt 2 1 3
....would produce a 3d maze with a ceiling height of 3 nodes instead of the usual 1.

Many thanks for bringing this to my attention. I will update the official WorldEditAdditions reference to increase clarity.