[Mod] Scythes & Sickles [sickles] [1.3.1]

TestificateMods
GitHub: t-affeldt
In-game: Testificate

[Mod] Scythes & Sickles [sickles] [1.3.1]

by TestificateMods » Post

Scythes & Sickles
Adds scythes and sickles with unique applications for farming

Scythes allow you to quickly sweep through your fields. They can only break fully grown crops and harvest multiple plants at once. They also replant harvested crops automatically. Alternatively, they can be used as an effective weapon with higher range.
Sickles allow you to scrape grass and moss from overgrown nodes (like dirt_with_grass, mossycobble, or permafrost_with_moss). The resulting moss can then be used as dye of fertilizer. They also let you cut wheat and other grains more precisely, allowing you to harvest some crops without completely resetting them.

Scythes
  • only break fully grown crops
  • harvest all grown neighboring crops as well
  • automatically replant harvested crops
  • can be used as a weapon with slightly more range
Sickles
  • are an effective cutting tool
  • can harvest grass and moss from overgrown nodes
  • reset wheat and other grains by a few stages upon harvest instead of destroying them
  • have a slightly shorter range
Moss
  • can be found in four different colors
  • can be used as fuel in a furnace
  • can be crafted into dye
  • can be cooked into fertiliser (requires bonemeal mod)
  • can be turned into blocks
  • can be placed on the side of any node
  • can be eaten for a minimal health gain
Moss Blocks
  • are an effective fuel in a furnace
  • can be used as a building block
  • can be crafted into slabs and stairs
  • can be dyed in any of it's four natural colors
License Information
The entire source code is written by me and licensed under GNU LGPL v3. You can find the complete license information
in the supplied license file.
Textures for tools and moss items are made by Cap for this mod and licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0.
Textures for placed moss node and flower petals are by Vanessa Ezekowitz under CC BY-SA 4.0 for her plantlife modpack.
The sound effect for placing or breaking moss blocks is made by DrMinky under CC BY 3.0 and can be found on FreeSound.

Links: Downloads - Source Code
Last edited by TestificateMods on Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:29, edited 5 times in total.

cuthbertdoublebarrel
GitHub: cuthbert

Re: [Mod] Scythes & Sickles [sickles] [1.0.0]

by cuthbertdoublebarrel » Post

excellent !! expecially "only break fully grown crops" i have crocodiles surrounding my veggi patch so i have no time to check whats ripe and whats not .
much appreciated adding these to my gardening chest ,
Project BrutalTest...hide your Petz

runs

by runs » Post

cool

Nordal
GitHub: Nordall

by Nordal » Post

I like the idea of providing scythe and sickle. I just tried your mod. I missed the mese and diamond variants. There are only steel and bronze versions of scythes and sickles in the inventory guide. The recipes are smart by the way. I'm using farming plus by TenPlus1. No bonemeal or any other of the optional depends. When planting seeds "by hand" they use to turn into a little plant immediatly. Unfortunately the bronze scythe I tried replanted seeds, but there grew nothing out of the seeds. Also the durability of the scythe is extremely short.
CFS - still widely unknown

TestificateMods

Nordal wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 02:06
I like the idea of providing scythe and sickle. I just tried your mod. I missed the mese and diamond variants. There are only steel and bronze versions of scythes and sickles in the inventory guide.
Yes, there are no mese and diamond variants right now. Just like the original farming mod, I decided to go for the mid-tier materials only. Wood and stone would be too cheap for what the tools offer (considering that you can also harvest crops manually), whereas there's not really a point in crafting out of more expensive materials (except for slight durability boosts maybe).
I'm using farming plus by TenPlus1. [...] When planting seeds "by hand" they use to turn into a little plant immediatly. Unfortunately the bronze scythe I tried replanted seeds, but there grew nothing out of the seeds.
I do not use farming plus so I have not tried that combination. It works fine with either MTG farming or farming_redo. I might look into that but that can take a while because it's not that high up on my priority list right now.
Also the durability of the scythe is extremely short.
If you consider how many crops they can harvest at the same time, the durability loss per crop really isn't that bad. They are a lot more durable than a sword of the same material (per crop). But I will look into that and check whether I need to tweak it.

Nordal

by Nordal » Post

I decided to go for the mid-tier materials only.
Ah, that's reasonable.
I do not use farming plus so I have not tried that combination. It works fine with either MTG farming or farming_redo.
Sorry, I use farming_redo by TenPlus1. I mixed words a little. Do the seeds stay seeds a while or do they immediatly change into plant's first growing level. And if they do not, how long does it take until they change into plants?
I would really like to make your mod work.
If you consider how many crops they can harvest at the same time, the durability loss per crop really isn't that bad. They are a lot more durable than a sword of the same material (per crop). But I will look into that and check whether I need to tweak it.
Ok, seeing it that way you're right. May it's possible to make the scythe getting slower because of loosing sharpness. Then you have to resharpen it with a stone, to make it fast again. The breakpoint then could be later. Just an idea, maybe to complicated to implement and not worth to go on thinking about.

TestificateMods

Nordal wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 17:48
Sorry, I use farming_redo by TenPlus1. I mixed words a little.
Oh. In that case it's probably a mistake on my part. I'll check it out soon.
May it's possible to make the scythe getting slower because of loosing sharpness. Then you have to resharpen it with a stone, to make it fast again. The breakpoint then could be later.
That's a cool idea in general but not really specific to these tools. The same concept could also be used for swords, axes, and so on. Might be worth it's own mod.

TestificateMods

Re: [Mod] Scythes & Sickles [sickles] [1.1.0]

Nordal wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 17:48
Sorry, I use farming_redo by TenPlus1. [...] I would really like to make your mod work.
I have updated the mod. It should now properly work with farming_redo.

Here is a list of changes:
  • scythes now properly plant first crop stage instead of seeds if farming_redo is used
  • mithril scythe from farming_redo now gets removed from creative inventory
  • scythes do not use up seeds if in creative mode
  • tools do not use up durability if in creative mode

Nordal

by Nordal » Post

In that case it's probably a mistake on my part. I'll check it out soon.
Thanks a lot for the fast adjustment! The scythe works fine now with the seeds of farming redo.

I just noticed that the steel scythe is called also bronze scythe in inventory.

By the way: How do you make this "Nordal wrote: ..." appear inside the quotes? I didn't manage to insert this little intro :)

TestificateMods

Nordal wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 17:05
I just noticed that the steel scythe is called also bronze scythe in inventory.
Ah, damn. Thanks a lot for your reports. I was planning to add internationalization support, anyways. So I'm gonna correct this once I understand how intllib works. :D
By the way: How do you make this "Nordal wrote: ..." appear inside the quotes?
You can add a parameter to the quote tag like so:

Code: Select all

[quote=Username]...[/quote]
Alternatively, you can just press the button on the top right of the post you want to reply to. The one that says "Quote {username}" when you hover over it. That button will automatically embed the respective post into your reply. It will also add a link to the author's profile, the time of the post, and a little arrow that will take you to it.

TestificateMods

Re: [Mod] Scythes & Sickles [sickles] [1.2.0]

All right. This mod now supports language files. So far, only English and German are supported. But I'm happy to accept any pull requests that add additional languages.

Nordal

by Nordal » Post

TestificateMods wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 17:33
Ah, damn. Thanks a lot for your reports. I was planning to add internationalization support, anyways. So I'm gonna correct this once I understand how intllib works. :D
There's support for gettext also as far as I know. I just realized that in code of several mods gettext is used for internationalization. Some even change from intllib to gettext. So I guess it has some advantages. More I don't know.
You can add a parameter to the quote tag like so:

Code: Select all

[quote=Username]...[/quote]
Alternatively, you can just press the button on the top right of the post you want to reply to. The one that says "Quote {username}" when you hover over it. That button will automatically embed the respective post into your reply. It will also add a link to the author's profile, the time of the post, and a little arrow that will take you to it.
Cool. Thank you for the kind explanation! :)

TestificateMods

Nordal wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 19:06
There's support for gettext also as far as I know. I just realized that in code of several mods gettext is used for internationalization. Some even change from intllib to gettext. So I guess it has some advantages. More I don't know.
Yes. I just found out about minetest.get_translator, so I just used that. It seems to be a bit more reliable as well.

Nordal

by Nordal » Post

Thank you for this nice and usefull mod!

TestificateMods

Re: [Mod] Scythes & Sickles [sickles] [1.3.0]

I have added gloopblocks as an optional dependency. If you use that mod then you can now harvest moss from mossy stones, stone bricks, and cobble roads as well. The crafting recipes also use moss instead of grass now.

ThorfinnS
GitHub: ThorfinnS

by ThorfinnS » Post

How about adding an API so other mods could register their own plants/seeds? Cucina vegana comes to mind, but we've got a few others that are either ready for release or soon to be.

Farming NextGen or something like that would be a good model to use.

TestificateMods

ThorfinnS wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 19:01
How about adding an API so other mods could register their own plants/seeds?
The scythes don't need an API. They work for every crop that gets registered in the farming or farming_redo mod.
You can simply create new scythes by setting sickles.use_scythe as the event handler for on_use and adding the tool to the scythe group. The group value then determines the range of the tool (the included ones use a value of 2). The optional scythe_uses group determines the tool's durability.

For the sickles, an API already exists. You can use sickles.register_cuttable(nodename, base, item) to register nodes that can be cleaned with a sickle. nodenames defines the cleanable node (like default:mossycobble), base the resulting node after cleaning (like default:cobble) and item the item that will be put in the player's inventory (like sickles:moss).

For trimmable grains (like wheat), there is also an API function called sickles.register_trimmable(node, base). The node defines the node that can be cut using the sickle (like farming:wheat_8). It will drop its loot like normal but will be overriden with the node defined as base (like farming:wheat_2).

If you want to register your own sickle then you can easily do so as well by simply adding your tool to the sickle. The group value is currently unused but you can determine the durability via the sickle_uses group.

Lastly, a vast amount of different mods, that can profit from the sickles, is already supported by design (including cucina vegana). Have a look at the optional dependencies for more information.

ThorfinnS

by ThorfinnS » Post

Oh, my bad. I had added this to an existing game that had [cucina_vegana], and had forgotten that it appears cv got broken trying to add [signs_bot] support. Which is odd, since I reported it. ;)

Haven't had the time to look into it yet, but it does things the same way cv does. Which, tbh, is not that bad. I prefer having to fertilize to get plants to grow. Might see how hard that would be to option into default [farming] and farming redo.

TestificateMods

ThorfinnS wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 17:44
Haven't had the time to look into it yet, but it does things the same way cv does. Which, tbh, is not that bad. I prefer having to fertilize to get plants to grow.
Cucina Vegana just adds plants and cooking recipes. My mod just adds tools for harvesting. How plants grow is entirely dependent on the used farming mod. Although to be fair, I haven't seen one yet that has the behaviour you're looking for.

ThorfinnS

by ThorfinnS » Post

TestificateMods wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 15:14
ThorfinnS wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 17:44
Haven't had the time to look into it yet, but it does things the same way cv does. Which, tbh, is not that bad. I prefer having to fertilize to get plants to grow.
Cucina Vegana just adds plants and cooking recipes. My mod just adds tools for harvesting. How plants grow is entirely dependent on the used farming mod. Although to be fair, I haven't seen one yet that has the behaviour you're looking for.
Don't know what I was trying to get at there. ;)

I'm just saying that with TenPlus1's Farming Redo and clyde's CV, when NOT using joe7575 Signs Bot, CV just lays seeds on the ground, not beginning it's first stage growth. Point being your mod is working exactly right. And I don't think I'd make it even better in terms of durability. In a lot of ways, it's already superior to Farming Redo's mithril scythe. Might actually be worth checking to see if moreores and Farming Redo are both installed, and if so, set the USES value lower to give people a reason to build the mithril one.

TestificateMods

Re: [Mod] Scythes & Sickles [sickles] [1.3.1]

Bugfix Update
  • Some users had issues with harvested crops not regrowing. This is now fixed. Crops will now grow as intended after harvesting a plant with a scythe - no matter whether you are using Minetest Game Farming or Farming Redo. You will need to replace existing crops though.
  • There was a crash when combining this mod with Stairs Redo. This is now resolved and the two mods work together now. You will even get moss slopes when using Stairs Redo now.
I hope this patch will fix your problems with this mod and you can actually use and enjoy it now. :)

ThorfinnS

by ThorfinnS » Post

Works well, mostly. We ran into a few issues with them not working with Farming Redo. I have not yet verified it, but got reports from several users. I'll let you know.

Suggestion? How about either replacing the mithril scythe, or adding an improved mithril scythe? Maybe combine a basic farming redo mithril scythe with another bar or two of mithril for the area effect?

Not that it makes that big of a difference with one of the anvil mods installed, at least when it works for the crops, but the way it was handled caused confusion with players who were certain there was a use for mithril.

[EDIT]
Oh, and I believe it was plantlife modpack that added a stone sickle. Don't know if it's best to approach that the same way as the pitchfork or not, but might want to keep it consistent.
[/EDIT]

ThorfinnS

by ThorfinnS » Post

I downloaded fresh, untweaked downloads of [Farming] Redo and [cucina_vegana], plus [sickles], plus official release 5.3.0.

The plants themselves are sparse enough that I could only figure out a few examples. None of the crops from [cv] harvested at all. Parsley, rice, flax and several others I don't recall, but will update later when I get back to that machine. From [Farming Redo], several worked fine. Off-hand, rice, cotton, tomatoes, wheat, and cucumber. Garlic would harvest, but would not replant. Raspberry and blueberry would not harvest at all, and as with all the [cv] plants, it made no difference whether I was targeting the plant itself, or the harvestable plant next to it.

To be fair, though, [cv] isn't working well with just [Farming Redo]. And garlic might have to be coded special because you plant a craftitem, not the edible you harvest. Similar to melon, pumpkin and pineapple, maybe? Didn't find any of those. But I have no good answer why blueberry and raspberry shouldn't work. Functionally, I think they are identical to cucumbers, even the same number of growth stages, and you plant the harvested food item directly. Yet cukes work, berries don't. *shrug*

[EDIT]
For the things I found

Did not harvest:
--All [cv] I found (flax, rosemary, lettuce, parsley, sunflower, chives, peanuts)
--Beans, chili pepper, raspberry, blueberry.

Harvested, did not replant:
--Garlic, pumpkin

Harvested, gave me an extra trellis:
--Grapes

Worked as expected:
--Potato, carrot, corn, coffee, barley, rye, wheat, oats, cotton, rice, onion, cabbage, beet, cucumber, rhubarb

TestificateMods

Thank you so much for this extensive report, ThorfinnS! I will definitely have another look at it and see what I can do to recolve this.