[WIP] [Game] Star Wars [Alpha v0.0.2b]

thunderdog1138
GitHub: thunderdog1138
In-game: thunderdog

[WIP] [Game] Star Wars [Alpha v0.0.2b]

by thunderdog1138 » Post

Announcement: Lots of exciting things are happening with the Star Wars franchise, and a lot of exciting things will be coming in the next update of Minetest: Star Wars, Beta v0.1.0. It's been almost half a year since my last major update, and it will probably take another half a year to finish Beta v0.1.0, so I've decided to give you a sneak peak of what's to come:
  • Ethereal biomes
  • Lightsabers
  • Blasters
  • Many new mobs, including Stormtroopers, Banthas, Tookas, Hutts, and more
  • Star Wars-themed foods
  • Skins (possibly unlockable)
  • The Force (not entirely sure how this would work, but I have a few ideas)
  • And much more!
I'm open to suggestions. If you would like to see a feature in the next update, let me know. Note that I may not be able to include all your suggestions in the next update.

The Rise of Skywalker is out, and so is a new version of this game! While the Star Wars saga has come to an end, development of Minetest: Star Wars has only just begun.

This update brings armor into the game, as well as the first mob. Here is the full list of changes:
Mods Other
  • Added Wooden Armor.
  • Added Bronze Armor.
  • Added Durasteel Armor.
  • Added Mandalorian Armor (texture adapted from a Minecraft skin by Fries47).
  • Added Tusken Raiders (texture adapted from a Minecraft Skin by Tyiss), which spawn in deserts and attack players.
Bug fixes
  • Fixed a bug with 3D Armor when playing on Minetest 5.1.0. See this post for details. (Alpha v0.0.2a)
[*]Fixed a bug with the Tusken Raider mob that crashed the game on startup. (Alpha v0.0.2b)

Download latest version here.
Browse source code here.

Minetest 5.0+ required (5.1.0 recommended).

Older versions:
Alpha v0.0.1
Spoiler
For all you Star Wars fans who wished for a Star Wars subgame, the wait is finally over! This subgame places you on the Outer Rim world of Urthha, filled with diverse landscapes and equally diverse lifeforms.

This first version does not offer any mobs, armors, or sci-fi items. It is simply a modification of the standard Minetest Game intended to pave the way for all these features and more.

Differences from the Minetest Game:
  • Steel and diamond have been replaced with durasteel and beskar, respectively. Beskar can be obtained either by mining Beskar Ore or smelting a Lava Bucket.
  • Mese tools have been removed. Additionally, Mese Blocks no longer generate naturally.
  • Apples have been replaced with Jogan Fruits.
  • Flint and Steel have been replaced with Lighters.
  • Keys have been replaced with Keycards.
  • Butterfly and Firefly mods have been removed.
Download: Alpha v0.0.1
Browse: Alpha v0.0.1

Minetest 5.0+ required (5.2.0 recommended).
Planned features:
  • Blasters
  • Lightsabers
  • Speeders
  • Animals
  • NPCs/Traders
  • Droids
  • Stormtroopers
  • Sith Lord boss fight
Do not download the master branch!!! Download one of the release branches instead.

Only bugs found in stable releases of MT 5.0.0 or later will be supported. Bugs exclusive to pre-5.0.0 or dev versions will not be supported.

License: MIT License
The trademark and copyright of Star Wars and the Star Wars logo are owned by Lucasfilm Ltd.

Good luck, and may the force be with you!
Last edited by thunderdog1138 on Thu May 14, 2020 02:50, edited 3 times in total.
Check out my Star Wars subgame.

Red_King_Cyclops

Re: [WIP] [Game] Star Wars [Alpha v0.0.2a]

by Red_King_Cyclops » Post

This game sounds cool, but I have not tested it yet since Alpha v0.0.1 crashes in version 5.0.1 (I have not yet updated to 5.1.0).
Currently working on new mods.

thunderdog1138

by thunderdog1138 » Post

I think I the crashing problem in v0.0.2. Try that version.

twoelk
GitHub: twoelk
IRC: twoelk
In-game: twoelk

by twoelk » Post

Not sure you if you are aware but you may want to study the Scifi-Mobs mod [mobs_scifi] by D00Med. It contains at least four Starwars themed mobs that may be of use to you.

thunderdog1138

by thunderdog1138 » Post

twoelk wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 10:40
Not sure you if you are aware but you may want to study the Scifi-Mobs mod [mobs_scifi] by D00Med. It contains at least four Starwars themed mobs that may be of use to you.
Thanks. I am aware of that mod and plan to include it in the next major update.

thunderdog1138

by thunderdog1138 » Post

I have found and fixed a bug with the Tusken Raider mob that would crash the game on startup.

bzt

Re: [WIP] [Game] Star Wars [Alpha v0.0.2b]

by bzt » Post

Hi,

I've tried this, but I couldn't see any Star Warsish. Just the usual biomes, and no mobs. What did I wrong? My boys love SW and MT, so this would be like Xmas for them... :-D

Cheers,
bzt

Red_King_Cyclops

thunderdog1138 wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 23:05
I tried v0.0.2., but it still crashed. I'm still playing version 5.0.1., which could be the problem. According to the error report, in the game's mod "default," there is an "attempt to compare number with nil."

thunderdog1138

by thunderdog1138 » Post

Red_King_Cyclops wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 10:42
thunderdog1138 wrote:
I tried v0.0.2., but it still crashed. I'm still playing version 5.0.1., which could be the problem. According to the error report, in the game's mod "default," there is an "attempt to compare number with nil."
Can you try again and copy the whole error report? I think you left out some information that can lead me to the problem.

thunderdog1138

by thunderdog1138 » Post

bzt wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 11:32
Hi,

I've tried this, but I couldn't see any Star Warsish. Just the usual biomes, and no mobs. What did I wrong? My boys love SW and MT, so this would be like Xmas for them... :-D

Cheers,
bzt
You didn't do anything wrong, that's how it is at the moment. The next update is where I will introduce a bunch of SW weapons, mobs, food, etc. I don't have a deadline at the moment, but you can count on this being Xmas for your boys by Xmas (I hope).

bzt

by bzt » Post

Thanks for the info, I'm waiting! :-)
I can provide some home made SW content (like Luke, Leia, Chubbie skins and MTS files for ships, things like that) if you'd like.

Cheers,
bzt

Red_King_Cyclops

thunderdog1138 wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 16:20
Red_King_Cyclops wrote:
thunderdog1138 wrote:
Can you try again and copy the whole error report? I think you left out some information that can lead me to the problem.
My error report looks like this:
ServerError: AsyncErr: ServerThread::run Lua: Runtime error from mod 'default' in callback on_joinplayer(): /home/my_username/.minetest/games/star_wars/mods/default/init.lua:23: attempt to compare number with nil

thunderdog1138

by thunderdog1138 » Post

Sorry for the delay everyone. As you all know this year has been crazy, and I haven't had much time to work on this game. Good news is I'm back. Bad news (for some) is that it is hard to support multiple versions of MT, therefore I will focus on supporting the latest stable releases only from now on.
bzt wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 14:39
Thanks for the info, I'm waiting! :-)
I can provide some home made SW content (like Luke, Leia, Chubbie skins and MTS files for ships, things like that) if you'd like.

Cheers,
bzt
That would be great! I'm currently considering ship wrecks (like the ones of Jakku in The Force Awakens) that can be used as a source of scrap metal. Working ships will be rideable entities which might be used in the future to travel between planets once I implement multiple planets.

thunderdog1138

by thunderdog1138 » Post

Red_King_Cyclops wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:13
thunderdog1138 wrote:
Red_King_Cyclops wrote:

ServerError: AsyncErr: ServerThread::run Lua: Runtime error from mod 'default' in callback on_joinplayer(): /home/my_username/.minetest/games/star_wars/mods/default/init.lua:23: attempt to compare number with nil
Thanks, but unfortunately I've decided to drop support for all but the latest stable version of MT because it's too hard to maintain older and newer versions.

Red_King_Cyclops

thunderdog1138 wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 14:51
Red_King_Cyclops wrote:
thunderdog1138 wrote:

Thanks, but unfortunately I've decided to drop support for all but the latest stable version of MT because it's too hard to maintain older and newer versions.
Thanks for letting me know. I'll try to update.

thunderdog1138

by thunderdog1138 » Post

Red_King_Cyclops wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 15:37
thunderdog1138 wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 14:51
Red_King_Cyclops wrote:

Thanks for letting me know. I'll try to update.
The latest Alpha release works with 5.1.0. I haven't gotten around to updating it since the next update is a total redo of the game.

bzt

by bzt » Post

thunderdog1138 wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 14:50
I'm currently considering ship wrecks (like the ones of Jakku in The Force Awakens) that can be used as a source of scrap metal.
Have you seen this? It looks very very promising for that!

Btw, I'm working on a 3d model voxelizer that saves MTS files. I'll let you know when it's working, and then you can convert any model you like! (I'm using a hi-res Death Star model for testing, looks very promising, although I'm not entirely sure how that could be included in the game a meaningful way. Maybe parts of it on the ground?)

Cheers,
bzt

thunderdog1138

by thunderdog1138 » Post

bzt wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 16:25
thunderdog1138 wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 14:50
I'm currently considering ship wrecks (like the ones of Jakku in The Force Awakens) that can be used as a source of scrap metal.
Have you seen this? It looks very very promising for that!

Btw, I'm working on a 3d model voxelizer that saves MTS files. I'll let you know when it's working, and then you can convert any model you like! (I'm using a hi-res Death Star model for testing, looks very promising, although I'm not entirely sure how that could be included in the game a meaningful way. Maybe parts of it on the ground?)

Cheers,
bzt
I had not seen it, but it is similar to what I was thinking. I probably won't do an entire ISD wreck like that as it would cause a lot of lag and possible even crash the game. I was thinking of something like crashed fighters and maybe scattered parts of larger ships, nothing too big.

As for a Death Star, I don't see how that would fit into the game. Currently, I plan for the game to represent the survival of a Force-sensetive being that was stranded on a planet. This may change in the future, but that's what it is now.

Bag0Cheese
In-game: BagoCheese

by Bag0Cheese » Post

never mind I'm just F ing stupid, i placed the folder in the mod section instead of the game section
You know the rules and so do I, SAY GOODBYE

thunderdog1138

by thunderdog1138 » Post

I regret to say that I do not have a release date for the Beta update of this game. I'll continue to work on it, but I can't say when it will be released.