[Game] Wynot Subgame [whynot]

Duvalon

Re: [Game] Wynot Subgame [whynot]

by Duvalon » Post

Hi @bell07,

I wouldn't mind contributing to the game. I'm a software developer; familiar with C++ and Git. Not so much Lua, but I could get used to it. My current world has a few other mods added:
I really like the extra mobs everywhere. It adds a lot of life and variety. Night time is much more challenging, especially early on. The rabbits, cows and horses make leather armor and backpacks easier to get at the beginning, and sheep give access to wool to build a bed without having to search for a jungle for hours on end.

So far I haven't noticed any problems with the mobs. They don't seem to overwhelm the world (like in MC2) or the server but I don't advertise my server and it's only my son and I playing. They all seem to despawn when characters are far away.

Duvalon

by Duvalon » Post

I've encountered a very strange bug that only seems to happen in Whynot instances in MT 5.3. The characters' limbs are flipped upside down while the body and head seem ok. The strangest part is it doesn't affect my character's gameplay, but my son's character walks really slow and can't jump high enough to go over a single node.

I have 6 different servers, three of which are whynot games initially created in MT 5.2, and one of those without extra mods. Only and all whynot games have it.

I've also tried a local game previously created in MT 5.2 but playing in 5.3, as well as a new game just created in 5.3. All seem to exhibit the same issue.

Both my server and client are on Ubuntu Linux 20.04 and MT 5.3 from the PPA. I'm using the latest whynot game downloaded from contentdb. My system is in French... usually that makes things backwards, not upside down /jk

Any idea where I could start to debug this?

https://ibb.co/PtvzsNf

Edit:
I tried to be more disciplined about it. I removed all the mods installed from the Ubuntu repositories, I moved my .minetest directory and created a minetest.conf with only "debug_log_level = verbose". Then I started minetest, downloaded the Whynot game (and nothing else) from within the game, create a new world using the Whynot game, and got the same issue. Here is the debug.txt log: https://justpaste.it/5i6xj

Code: Select all

My minetest.conf afterwards was this:
debug_log_level = verbose
wieldview_node_tiles = false
food_sweet_use_2d = 1
wieldview_update_time = 2
maintab_LAST = local
mainmenu_last_selected_world = 1
mg_name = carpathian
screen_h = 1015
screen_w = 1920
menu_last_game = whynot
selected_world_path = /home/oli/.minetest/worlds/Whynot_test53
fixed_map_seed = 
I don't see anything particular in the logs, at least not in errors and warnings. There's one error about the awards mod but I'd be surprise that it's related. Anyone else can reproduce this?

goats

by goats » Post

Anyone else can reproduce this?
Yes, and it's positively hilarious. I also get the player head facing backward, and a lot of z-fighting with the player skin.
Any idea where I could start to debug this?
I generally start with disabling mods. Create an extra folder in the game's root folder and move mods out one at a time, start game, and check.

That said, my first suspect, multiskin_model, has something broken or in conflict with another player mod. Moving this out of the /mods directory tree eliminates the issue. To me it looks like a lot of coordinates of the player model got flipped. Could be the model itself, multiskin_model.b3d.

You'll get errors and unsatisfied dependencies but they don't really break anything as far as i can tell yet. Most can probably be eliminated by commenting out references to multiskin_model. E.g., comment out or remove the reference from /3d_armor/depends.txt, and then mods depending on 3d_armor won't have potential issues.

origin https://github.com/bell07/minetest-player_api_modpack (fetch)
* master e889673 [origin/master] backport new skin parts Thx. to @ClockGen
Mod: player_api_modpack/multiskin_model

So bell07 is the owner/maintainer of the relevant mod(s), and you are already in the right place for reporting the issue.

Duvalon

by Duvalon » Post

Nice catch! Thanks goats. I'll keep digging...

bell07
GitHub: bell07

by bell07 » Post

Are you sure it is not caused by playeranim mod? This is my first suspect

EDIT: please try without playeranim mod. No other mods should depends on them. Created new issue on github: https://github.com/bell07/minetest-game ... /issues/24
Last edited by bell07 on Mon Jul 20, 2020 09:02, edited 1 time in total.

bell07

by bell07 » Post

Duvalon wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 14:56
Hi @bell07,

I wouldn't mind contributing to the game. I'm a software developer; familiar with C++ and Git. Not so much Lua, but I could get used to it. My current world has a few other mods added:
I really like the extra mobs everywhere. It adds a lot of life and variety. Night time is much more challenging, especially early on. The rabbits, cows and horses make leather armor and backpacks easier to get at the beginning, and sheep give access to wool to build a bed without having to search for a jungle for hours on end.

So far I haven't noticed any problems with the mobs. They don't seem to overwhelm the world (like in MC2) or the server but I don't advertise my server and it's only my son and I playing. They all seem to despawn when characters are far away.
I added the proposals to https://github.com/bell07/minetest-game-whynot/issues and will consider them if I find some time. Previously I tried some peacful mobs in the past, but I do not like the spawning behaviour. It is not possible to get mobs-free areas. One of the "whynot criteria" is no mod should take over the world. In comparsion to Minecraft it should be possible to get mobs free area by killing them all for example.
But I consider maybe I can set the spawning rate to smaller value so the mobs spawns rare only.

goats

by goats » Post

bell07 wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 07:36
Are you sure it is not caused by playeranim mod? This is my first suspect
I am sure of nothing. I only know that removing multiskin_model "fixes" the odd display. Playeranim would have been my next test. I did not continue checking. But i could neither say what the cause is, nor why Duvalon's child has a character with movement affected.

So checking now: Indeed, restoring multiskin_model and removing playeranim fixes the issue with no warnings or side effects, so this is probably the better fix, and the location of the issue as you suspect.

bell07

by bell07 » Post

Quickfix for animation issue is

Code: Select all

--- a/mods/player/playeranim/init.lua
+++ b/mods/player/playeranim/init.lua
@@ -22,7 +22,7 @@ end

-- stop player_api from messing stuff up (since 5.3)
 if minetest.global_exists("player_api") then
-       for _, v in pairs(player_api.registered_models["character.b3d"].animations) do
+       for _, v in pairs(player_api.registered_models["multiskin_model.b3d"].animations) do
                v.x = 0
                v.y = 0
        end
Need to check how the issue can be solved in proper way..

goats

by goats » Post

Thank you bell07, i am sure Duvalon and son will appreciate it! :)

Duvalon

by Duvalon » Post

For sure! Thank you very much bell07, and you too goats!

On a side note, the reason why my son couldn't jump over nodes is because he created himself a brick armour. Looking at the code it slows you down and reduces your jump height. I managed to distract him towards a waffle armour instead.

goats

by goats » Post

Brick armor! :D I had seen that there were some funky possibilities for armor, but brick is highly amusing. Yes, armor has encumbrance factors, i rather imagine brick would rate highly in that regard.

+1 for brick armor, clever. :)

P.S. there is some kind of crazy waffle + nyancat armor thing...

Edit: By the way, does anyone else get a chat notification on game startup "Loading Maple" every time? I don't know why this gets logged to chat. :D

bell07

by bell07 » Post

Pushed the fixed version to contentdb. Just the quickfix on playeranim, till the issue is solved in proper way.

About Loading Maple: The message is caused by Maple mod and should just go to the debug.txt using minetest.log().
Do you have the qa-block enabled that redirects messages to chat or something like?

goats

by goats » Post

I do not know what the qa-block is. (Quality assurance?) I have no other active mods external to the game. Chat log level is error. (if you add 'action', to the minetest.log statement, it doesn't display in chat)

Not important if no one else experiences this, i merely find it curious.

Felim13

by Felim13 » Post

How do you get animals into the game?

There is a spawner in creative mode, but when I click it, it says it is inactive, and that I need to change the settings, which are:
mobs_animal:pumba 10 15 0 0 0

I've searched and searched and searched for info on these settings but can't find any.
So how do I get animals into WhyNot?

bell07

by bell07 » Post

There are no mobs mods in whynot, mosters only. The reason is if I add the mobs_animal mod to the game, the mobs take over the world. It is not possible to get mobs-free natural areas because of the permanent spawning.

Monsters are in game because it is possible to get monsters-free area by illumination.

If you like to get animals in your world, just download the mod from ContentDB and activate it in your whynot world. I recommend to do it in a test world at the first. Check if you are happy with animal spawining during some time period.

Xum Games
In-game: Xum

by Xum Games » Post

Hello, I made a Game based on Whynot, which is called Xum Game.

bell07

by bell07 » Post

@Xum, nice! Can you post a link to your game? What is the difference to Whynot? Do you use the buildscripts or is it just a fork of the game as of 26.08.?

Duvalon

by Duvalon » Post

I'd just like to say thanks bell07 for all the work you've put into "why not?" lately :)

magnusviri
GitHub: magnusviri
In-game: magnusviri

by magnusviri » Post

I've been experimenting with different Minetest games and after trying whynot I'm hooked. I don't know what this game has in it, but the experience is so much deeper than any of the other games I've tried. I like being in the mountains and spent many hours on mountain peaks and this somehow recreates that experience. I'm still trying to figure everything out.

I'd really like to make a game with whynot as the base. I don't have a lot of free time and so I don't know if anything will come of my desire.

One thing I'd love to see in whynot is ShadMOrdre's lib_materials, lib_ecology, and lib_mg_continental mods. I barely know how this stuff works still so I have no idea if this is possible.

One thing I'd like to change is to use hearts instead of the health bar. Is this an easy change? My son wants hearts...

One thing about animals and spawn rates. I think it's fine to have a lot of small animals. But as the animal gets bigger, the rarer it gets. I think this is how nature is. Also, in Yellowstone National Park, there are huge herds of animals. I've also heard that before Europeans came to America, there were so many animals you couldn't get away from them. Flocks of birds would darken the sky completely in the middle of the day. Things like that. Humans really have driven large animals away. I believe 500+ year old stories about scary forests were real because back then there were a lot of scary animals in forests.

magnusviri

by magnusviri » Post

Duplicate...
Last edited by magnusviri on Sun Nov 29, 2020 13:26, edited 1 time in total.

magnusviri

by magnusviri » Post

Ug. I'm still new to this forum and posted another duplicate. I see no way to delete them.

goats

by goats » Post

Yeah, can't delete a post. You could report it, use the "further information" option, and hope someone has time to review this at some point.

As for mobs, there is no game setting for this in Whynot, but one can always fiddle with the mobs mods. Specifically the settingtypes.txt in /mobs_redo and /mobs_ghost_redo, as well as the "chance" line in any of the /mobs_monster lua files for specific mobs. (Any particular mob lua file could be removed also if we really don't like that sort of monster.)

Same will generically apply to other mobs which seem to be in the newer versions of the game (mobs_animals and/or similar).

Hearts health bar: As Whynot doesn't expose any settingtypes.txt to the engine to use in the Games section of All settings, you can open the file /whynot_game/mods/player/hudbars/default_settings.lua and (at line 15 in my older copy of the game) there is a setting:

hb.settings.bar_type = hb.load_setting("hudbars_bar_type", "string", "progress_bar", {"progress_bar", "statbar_classic", "statbar_modern"})

change it to

hb.settings.bar_type = hb.load_setting("hudbars_bar_type", "string", "statbar_modern", {"progress_bar", "statbar_classic", "statbar_modern"})

Alternatively, you can copy the mod folder /hudbars to the /.minetest/mods folder, then enable the mod for Whynot game, and adjust the setting in the settings tab → All Settings → +Mods → hudbars. Mods override game mods, so this should work fine without additional tweaking as well.

Note that this changes all the progress bars to statbars (hunger, armor, breath, sprint, and health).

P.S. statbar_classic does nearly the same but not as nice visually and not as user-friendly according to the settingtypes.txt. (I.e., it supports background images and therefore shows you your empty hearts, hunger, armor, etc.)

Chris

please deletet this post, wrong thread

by Chris » Post

please deletet this post, wrong thread

bell07

by bell07 » Post

In preparation to my retreat and give-away the game, I moved the game in a new github organization https://github.com/minetest-whynot/whynot-game

My private mods collection and the updater-Scripts I moved into new repository https://github.com/minetest-whynot/whynot-builder. The mods sources are connected as git submodules in mod_src folder. This way anyone can generate own whynot game.

They is already a successor candidate, but everyone is welcome as contributor to the game who has understood the Whynot rules.

I will continue to provide support to the project throughout my retreat.

bell07

by bell07 » Post

I given up the "player_api_modpack" (viewtopic.php?f=9&t=20682). In last commit in whynot all mods from this modpack are replaced by orginial forks and skinsdb.
Fensta-skins users need to re-download the skins using skinsdb downloader. Just copying files does not work because the meta-files format is not compatible.
place_your_skins_here mod does not have replacement. Users have to move own skins into skinsdb textures folder. The meta-files incompatibility (if used) applies here to.