[Server Hosting] free.minetest.host ~ web panel, mod support, MultiCraft, Minetest & more

Pentium44
GitHub: Pentium44
IRC: Pentium44
In-game: Pentium44

[Server Hosting] free.minetest.host ~ web panel, mod support, MultiCraft, Minetest & more

by Pentium44 » Post

After a long minute of polishing the Minetest / MultiCraft server hosting management platform, I have officially moved free.minetest.host to the public! Allows for toggleable gamepacks, and mods pre-installed into the web client.

Features
- 8 Slots, 1 World.
- Some configuration controls within the web panel
- Mod selections: irc, mob redo and its friends, moretrees, home_decor, dependencies, mesecons, and soon to be more more.
- Game selections: minetest_game, voxelgarden, and mineclone2 available currently.
- Free to register and use!

Installing mods / changing gamemodes
After starting and stopping the server for the first time (to create the world), you check mark what you'd like to use and hit the set button within the mod settings menu. (Do not select all of them at once, and make sure to refer to the server debug in the Manage panel for mod conflicts in between setting mods, and starting the server.) It takes 2 seconds roughly per mod to install in event loop, so it will take a bit for the page to roll. Also, if you don't start the server once before installing mods, you'll find it won't copy due to being installed as worldmods. Long story short, a world directory must be there to copy mods or set voxelgarden, or mineclone2.

NOTICE
Not every mod will be supported by every gamepack

Like it? Don't? Let me know, and open to revisions and modifications of the web panel and mods to use within the service! I love feedback.

https://free.minetest.host
Last edited by Pentium44 on Sat Feb 06, 2021 08:18, edited 4 times in total.
FreeHost ~ 20GB Disk / Unlimited Bandwidth / Ad-Free / 350MB max file upload

Mineminer

Re: FreeMT ~ Auto-generated servers at the click of a button.

by Mineminer » Post

Just add a time out run time as well. Say like after 24 hours the server gets deleted if no actions have been logged like placing and removing nodes. Which will passively prevent simple AFKing online 24x7 just to "abuse" the system.

Other than that the issue here will be RAM which at stock 29 seconds time out will eat a maximum of 2GB/server. So if this becomes an issue you may wanna "under clock" this setting to further reduce free servers' RAM consumption at the cost of disk operations.

Other than that you can really amp up the project with accepting donations and/or for paid monthly upgrades. You could even run "ads" and/or "brand" for these on those free servers. using the server's Name and/or MOTD thing. Like big gaming providers do for "freebie" servers.

Pentium44

Re: FreeMT ~ Auto-generated servers at the click of a button.

by Pentium44 » Post

Mineminer wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 15:33
Just add a time out run time as well. Say like after 24 hours the server gets deleted if no actions have been logged like placing and removing nodes. Which will passively prevent simple AFKing online 24x7 just to "abuse" the system.

Other than that the issue here will be RAM which at stock 29 seconds time out will eat a maximum of 2GB/server. So if this becomes an issue you may wanna "under clock" this setting to further reduce free servers' RAM consumption at the cost of disk operations.

Other than that you can really amp up the project with accepting donations and/or for paid monthly upgrades. You could even run "ads" and/or "brand" for these on those free servers. using the server's Name and/or MOTD thing. Like big gaming providers do for "freebie" servers.
Actually, you're right on top of my plans for the project! Got cpulimit to control process CPU usage, plus this is running on a rack server with 64GB ram sooo, I'm doing alright there! Haha. Server name & MOTD is set to advertise freemt.cddo.cf as well as labels the server's as FreeMT servers.

Pentium44

Re: FreeMT ~ Free Minetest Hosting

by Pentium44 » Post

Updated!

faco
GitHub: minefaco
In-game: faco

by faco » Post

Your project is really nice!. i think that maybe you can allow the customization for each server, we can change some things like server_name with the /set command, but has no sense (for me) to have 100 servers exactly same. if it's not possible, maybe can you add these mods?
-areas
-skinsdb
-3darmor
-ethereal
-bonemeal
-signs_lib
-xdecor
-homedecor
-stamina
-worldedit
-Unified_inventory
-teleporter_pads
-smartshop

Sorry for my english.

Mineminer

by Mineminer » Post

faco wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 14:38
i think that maybe you can allow the customization for each server, we can change some things like server_name with the /set command, but has no sense (for me) to have 100 servers exactly same.

Self customizable should be like a paid upgrade based on slots and/or RAM. Since free game servers are usually provisioned "as is". Just think when you go and grab a free server from the "GameServers" company.

You get the "taste" for the service and an actual working server but that's about it. After that you are expected to pay for your own server.

Pentium44

by Pentium44 » Post

faco wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 14:38
Your project is really nice!. i think that maybe you can allow the customization for each server, we can change some things like server_name with the /set command, but has no sense (for me) to have 100 servers exactly same. if it's not possible, maybe can you add these mods?
-areas
-skinsdb
-3darmor
-ethereal
-bonemeal
-signs_lib
-xdecor
-homedecor
-stamina
-worldedit
-Unified_inventory
-teleporter_pads
-smartshop

Sorry for my english.
Some mods will not be added due to the possibility of harmful practices toward the hardware. Areas and homedecor are in progress as well as possibly signs_lib

Pentium44

by Pentium44 » Post

As for other concerns with world settings and slots, the servers can have some modified settings within the client via the console. A selectable mod library might be added in if the project takes off and I invest in more hardware.

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Pentium44 wrote: I have also, instead of creating an uptime length of 4 weeks for each server creation, FreeMT now tracks world edits by timestamp so if there's no server activity for 72 hours, it gets shutdown and world deleted.
Please place a very big warning sign upon login that the servers are experimental and people should not build anything serious there! Else you might get people joining, mistaking the server for a real server, start building something complex, and once they come back after a couple of days it's all deleted.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Mineminer

by Mineminer » Post

Sokomine wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 19:02
Pentium44 wrote: I have also, instead of creating an uptime length of 4 weeks for each server creation, FreeMT now tracks world edits by timestamp so if there's no server activity for 72 hours, it gets shutdown and world deleted.
Please place a very big warning sign upon login that the servers are experimental and people should not build anything serious there! Else you might get people joining, mistaking the server for a real server, start building something complex, and once they come back after a couple of days it's all deleted.
That is not the host's responsibilities that's the operator of said Minetest server responsibility. As long as the operator does their due diligence then no one can get hurt of not being advised of such.

Pentium44

by Pentium44 » Post

Sokomine wrote:
It's posted that all servers created to begin with will be removed after 72 hours of no activity. If active, the servers will continue to run until I stop the project but honestly it doesn't take much disk space or resources and its kind of nice! Fun little proof of concept! Also super fun to join each server and see what people come up with.

Pentium44

by Pentium44 » Post

Mineminer wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 21:53
Sokomine wrote:
That is not the host's responsibilities that's the operator of said Minetest server responsibility. As long as the operator does their due diligence then no one can get hurt of not being advised of such.
Very valid point. Not hard to sign in every other day at least and place a block or even.. s*** generate a chunk somewhere new? lol

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Pentium44 wrote: Very valid point. Not hard to sign in every other day at least and place a block or even.. s*** generate a chunk somewhere new? lol
Hmm. I wish the serverlist would include such information and help players to easier locate the right server for the right purpose. These here are fine for experiments, but the wrong place for builders with even low ambitions.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Mineminer

by Mineminer » Post

Sokomine wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 20:18
Pentium44 wrote: Very valid point. Not hard to sign in every other day at least and place a block or even.. s*** generate a chunk somewhere new? lol
Hmm. I wish the serverlist would include such information and help players to easier locate the right server for the right purpose. These here are fine for experiments, but the wrong place for builders with even low ambitions.

Again this is not the host responsibilities. It's up the owner of said Minetest instance to advise their players if they don't intend to keep their servers running, if they are using such services or what not.

Furthermore if the players are really that concerned about the integrity of the server itself, they should bring up to the server owner themselves.

Pentium44

by Pentium44 » Post

Mineminer wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 22:42
Sokomine wrote:

Again this is not the host responsibilities. It's up the owner of said Minetest instance to advise their players if they don't intend to keep their servers running, if they are using such services or what not.

Furthermore if the players are really that concerned about the integrity of the server itself, they should bring up to the server owner themselves.
Lets be honest here. The integrity is going to be improved over time. For instance, there's no more slots for servers due to a fine friend making some sort of looping curl / wget script to call servers to be created repeatedly. As of now, I'm going to be removing these scripts and also incorporating IP logging to keep these "beautiful souls" at bay...

Pentium44

by Pentium44 » Post

So, update on user constantly creating servers on each socket. Was a consistant connection from tor exit nodes so tor networks have officially been blocked on my server!

Pentium44

by Pentium44 » Post

Tor connections are back and opened up. Applied IP logs for each server creation to keep from malicious beings away.

Pentium44

by Pentium44 » Post

Sokomine wrote:
I did indeed add server_description for each server. Helps provide info of being an autogenerated server. Also moved world check to every 7 days so gives players more of a buffer for no activity. Should clear up concerns on your end which have their validity.
Attachments
FreeMT listings.PNG
FreeMT listings.PNG (24.72 KiB) Viewed 4970 times

Miniontoby
GitHub: Miniontoby
IRC: Miniontoby
In-game: Miniontoby

by Miniontoby » Post

Cool
Working on mtctl ---- Check my mod "Doorbell" -- Stay safe

Pentium44

Re: free.minetest.host! FreeMT resurrection into a full blown server management panel!

by Pentium44 » Post

Been working on this web panel for a minute, it is open source and available for others to use!

ZaDoofus
In-game: ZaDoofus

Re: free.minetest.host! FreeMT resurrection into a full blown server management panel!

by ZaDoofus » Post

Would it be possible to add configuration for these variables in the web panel on there?
Variables in question:
unlimited_player_transfer_distance =
player_transfer_distance =

ywwv

by ywwv » Post

I am going to host my mod on this. you will regret this decision . it will be so popular that the server crashes. I hope you are ready. you have about one week to fortiyf it from the eternal september. this is a threat

1faco
GitHub: minefaco
In-game: faco

by 1faco » Post

the option to change default game for mineclone or voxelgarden don't work.
edit: Nothing on "mod settings" works.

Pentium44

by Pentium44 » Post

ywwv wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:36
I am going to host my mod on this. you will regret this decision . it will be so popular that the server crashes. I hope you are ready. you have about one week to fortiyf it from the eternal september. this is a threat
Sure, why not :P

Pentium44

by Pentium44 » Post

1faco wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 15:09
the option to change default game for mineclone or voxelgarden don't work.
edit: Nothing on "mod settings" works.
After stopping the server, you check mark what you'd like to use and hit the set button (Do not select all of them at once, and make sure to refer to the server debug in the Manage panel for mod conflicts)

It takes 2 seconds roughly per mod to install in event loop, so it will take a bit for the page to roll. Also, if you don't start the server once before installing mods, you'll find it won't copy due to being installed as worldmods. This is a bug I just currently noticed and will work on fixing. Long story short, a world directory must be there to copy mods or set voxelgarden, or mineclone2

Hope this helps :)

P.S. /set has been disabled from all servers to keep the mischievous ones from bumping settings around in minetest.conf including max_users. Inappropriate acts of stressing / crashing my server will result in an account deletion and if need be, subnet ban. You have been informed!