Minetest Game now in maintenance/bugfix-only mode, no feature PRs accepted

sorcerykid
GitHub: sorcerykid
In-game: Nemo

Re: Minetest Game now in maintenance/bugfix-only mode, no feature PRs accepted

by sorcerykid » Post

I can certainly relate to a lot of what celeron55 is saying. When I created my Doors Redux mod, for example,, I was very careful to ensure compatibility with any and all derivatives of Minetest Game, while still introducing extensions to the door API and a more advanced feature-set for use in the Just Test Tribute game. Many of my other mods have been similarly derived from Minetest Game, including Beds Redux, Signs Redux, Chests Redux, Stairs Redux, and Books Redux.

I think there are certainly a core set of features that most games in Minetest have in common just due to the historic influence of Minetest Game as a "modding base". So devising some means of interoperability should be a key consideration going forward, as that will make development and maintenance of unofficial games and mods much easier in the long term.

Festus1965
GitHub: Festus1965
In-game: Festus1965 Thomas Thailand Explorer

by Festus1965 » Post

I have a first problem with this Thread:
Minetest Game now in maintenance/bugfix-only mode, no feature PRs accepted
For what version: 5.3.0 or already 5.4.0 ???

Basically: tell me any company or successful game that kept engine, game or mods "compatible" for all older versions ???
==> What a creepy PLUS work for all coders, to keep always 2, 3 or more rules in the head for that ... = LOST WORK time, and more and more difficult.
Make a cut !

When I was active programming, the best every-time was to delete the old and restart new == best code ever.

I am sorry posting here, and keep the codes from work ... as the headline is so far clear, please don't disturb.
Human has no future (climate change)
If urgend, you find me in Roblox (as CNXThomas)

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

I'm struggling to work out what you're trying to say, Festus
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

Festus1965

by Festus1965 » Post

writing wrote:For what version: 5.3.0 or already 5.4.0 ???

Zughy
GitHub: belongs_to_microsoft
In-game: Zughy

by Zughy » Post

Festus1965 wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 09:11
writing wrote:For what version: 5.3.0 or already 5.4.0 ???
It's already in maintenance mode, all "feature" PRs and issues have been closed

Festus1965

by Festus1965 » Post

that Thread:
* Minetest Game now in maintenance/bugfix-only mode, no feature PRs accepted
is from:
* by sorcerykid » Mon Aug 24, 2020 06:23

as the Release of 5.3.0 is from
* News: 5.3.0 released. (July 9th 2020 )

=> a maintenance/bugfix-only AFTER a release even with RC announcing and testing ?

so as there was as RC even testing before,
this cannot be an thing for 5.3.0
otherwise here is running something terrible wrong.

and every testing before and issues are obsolete ... but without I see here any post, link to what was fixed ...

Festus1965

by Festus1965 » Post

still NO answer, is also an answer:

Now, I understand why so many servers kept on 4.17.x

bye

burli

by burli » Post

I assume MTG is in maintenance for all version

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Festus1965 wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 00:57

The question doesn't make sense. The maintenance mode has started after 5.3.0 released - because that was months ago, and we can't retroactively change releases. When 5.4.0 is released, it will contain new features because new features have already been added
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

Zughy
GitHub: belongs_to_microsoft
In-game: Zughy

by Zughy » Post

Festus1965 wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 00:57

Now, I understand why so many servers kept on 4.17.x

bye
We literally answered you several times, there's no need to be edgy. Cya :waving-hand:

freshreplicant
In-game: freshreplicant

by freshreplicant » Post

I'm still new to Minetest but to me it seems there has been too much emphasis on 'Games' over 'Mods' in this conversation. From a newcomer's perspective, there are very few actual fully fleshed out playable games for MT. Some existing games have several cool concepts or are neat experiments, but most are fairly empty and a good few seem to have been abandoned altogether. On the other hand, most of the really noteworthy, high quality content I have encountered has been contained in mods (most of these being mods for, I am assuming, MTG).

I'm with Sokomine in urging the devs to shy away from any decision that would break mods or lead to further fragmentation, i.e. even more mods only working for one game but not another. It would do a great disservice to the many amazing mods and modders that are out there.

The ease of modding Minetest seems to be a huge part of its draw and I think that most people will find it more feasible to really contribute something of quality to MT ecosystem if they undertake a project of limited scope: maybe a cool mob or three, some plants, animals, tools, changes to select game mechanics etc. I don't think that very many individuals have the vision, time or skills to make a polished and truly enjoyable game for Minetest. Many people might be super gung-ho in week 1 of their game but as time goes on they might run into technical roadblocks, get bored or have something else happen that makes them move on to something else. Their innovations then pretty much stay trapped in the amber of that half-formed game, unless somebody bothers to extract them and make them portable as a mod or gobbles them up for their own game. Even if they don't give up, the more content they create, the more apparent their weakness will be, especially for single developer games: they might be a total wizard at programming cool mob mechanics, but they aren't very good at creating textures, or some combination thereof.

Now I don't mean this an attack on the active, talented people I see here on the forums and elsewhere developing MT games. It is a strength that MT can also be an engine for forging your own games, but I still think mods are the bread and butter that will sustain MT in the long run. As the name implies, mods have to modify something. There has to be a base to build on, something to introduce to the newcomer, to hint at the potential that MT has. I'm torn between the argument of paring down MTG/turning it into more flexible modular components vs making a really good MTG, but I feel like MTG could benefit from offering some really great defaults to build mods onto.

For example, if you want to make a mod that adds mobs right now, or a mod that interacts with mobs, you have to be mindful of 3+ various mob frameworks floating around in the ether, many implementing the same things in different incompatible ways. If MT or MTG offered a more fully fledged "official" mob framework that draws on the strength of all these great community created mob frameworks, I imagine that would probably empower modders quite a bit. I would love if more mobs were interoperable and packaged as single mobs or in small bundles with a very specific themes, because I think like with games, the bigger the mod pack, the more apparent certain weak spots become. I want the goblin mod, mimes/mimics from this mod, this chicken from that animal mod (but not the spiders from the same mod), that one monster from this mod, etc. but right now that can be pretty hard to do unless you're willing to dig into mod folders, different apis and such to make mobs from various sources play nicely together.

This small mod and official framework approach could even benefit an official MTG in ways its corporate cousin Minecraft has been struggling to do for years: if somebody makes a really stand-out weapon, ore, mob, whatever...you can add it fairly seamlessly to the official game. That stimulates the community with recognition, the feeling that they can really be a part of this community and it also keeps MTG alive. As a bonus, the core devs don't need to make content if they would rather work on the engine/frameworks, or tinker with something else behind the scenes. It always drove me mad to see Minecraft's tiny mob selection, while Minecraft mods like Mo' Creatures had dozens of studio quality additions available. It would however require a concept or set theme you're aiming for with MTG, so you know what to adopt as 'official' and what to leave out.

More defaults/standardised ways to add specific content types should also allow players to toggle on and off specific stuff, even if they are bundled with 'default'. You don't like default sheep, the default birds are too loud or you found a cooler pickaxe in a community mod than the one bundled with MTG? Turn them on or off individually.

I assume most people using Minetest as an engine are using it because they want to make something related to voxel games, rather than something totally different. Else why not use Godot, Unreal or other more multi-purpose engine? There will always be exceptions of course, more power to you if you're going to use MT to build a flight sim or FPS, but it's ok to recognize MT's specific niche and really showcase that potential. Investing in the MTG and mod synergy would show that Minetest can be a successful game engine. It would not inspire confidence in me as a lone developer or aspiring developer to see an engine's official game, supported by such brilliant devs as MTG is, fail or be abandoned.

I hope I didn't step on any toes with this and forgive me if I'm missing some history that makes some of my points moot. Just wanted to put into words some my perspectives as an enthusiastic newcomer.

IFRFSX
GitHub: IceCatX
In-game: IFRFSX

by IFRFSX » Post

Multi-polarization has a serious problem: if the development of mods is scattered, it will result in a smaller number of mods that players can play in each game. In addition, I don’t think "default" is a bad name because it The purpose of is to provide the most basic terrain-forming blocks (in minetest_game) without installing unofficial games or mods. "default" refers to those basic blocks that come with it, so I strongly recommend that developers do not Change the name "default" (even if you don't consider the mod/texture that depends on it).

In addition, although developers have now decided to freeze MTG, if the number of developers in the official minetest team increases in the future, please resume the functional development of MTG as soon as possible (even if it is only an upgrade of existing functions), this is for everyone It's a good thing.

In addition to the dispersion of development power due to multi-polarization, there is also a certain difference in gameplay between different games, which has an adverse effect on the communication between players, so my suggestion is: increase the number of Minetest development teams Later, let the community continue to use MTG as the mainstream, and other games are used for players with special needs. Anyway, MTG itself does not have any design inclination. Players can download appropriate mods to play their favorite games, and MTG is Minetest engine comes with a lightweight game package, so MTG is suitable as a mainstream game.

IFRFSX

by IFRFSX » Post

All in all, I suggest that Minetest neither standardize nor move towards multi-polarization, but take MTG as the mainstream. The development power of official developers and most mod/texture authors is used to develop mod/texture for MTG, and the rest Players and developers with special needs (or interests) can develop and upload unofficial game packages and mod/texture by themselves, which is most conducive to community development.

I know that I may not know some long ago history, but developers are requested to consider my suggestions, thank you!

Lone_Wolf
GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: LandarVargan
In-game: LandarVargan

by Lone_Wolf » Post

I'd prefer Minetest be considered a modding base. That's what it is right now (whether you like it or not) and changing that would break a bunch of mods made for it when it was a modding base.

I'd recommend creating a new game if you want a game maintained by Minetest devs that isn't a modding base
My ContentDB -|- Working on CaptureTheFlag -|- Minetest Forums Dark Theme!! (You need it)

IFRFSX

by IFRFSX » Post

Lone_Wolf wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 21:33
I'd prefer Minetest be considered a modding base. That's what it is right now (whether you like it or not) and changing that would break a bunch of mods made for it when it was a modding base.

I'd recommend creating a new game if you want a game maintained by Minetest devs that isn't a modding base
I agree with you.
If the Minetest engine will no longer come with MTG in the future, it means that novices cannot play the game immediately after downloading the MT, and it takes time to download the game package.
Moreover, "default game" is beneficial and harmless. I do not agree with paramat's point of view, because "default game" and the "default mod" in it do not mean that all game packages and mods must be based on them or standard , But it means that when the player does not install the unofficial game package, the "default" game package is the game environment that the Minetest engine will provide you by default. There is nothing wrong with it, and it is very convenient and very convenient for the player. useful.
In addition, the name of the "default" mod should be retained. After all, there are many old mods that need to be considered for compatibility, and there is another advantage that it can clearly convey a meaning: "If you don’t download other game packs, then Use the blocks in the "default mod" (for example, <dirt with grass>) to build the world.
In summary, I strongly recommend that the minetest team not fragment the community environment of "minetest", but let MTG play its due role-as a "default" lightweight game environment.

In addition, to correct one point, it is better to continue to develop MTG. It takes time and energy to develop new games. It is better to concentrate on developing MTG. If the function in MTG is not good enough, just rewrite it.

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

freshreplicant wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 13:56
On the other hand, most of the really noteworthy, high quality content I have encountered has been contained in mods (most of these being mods for, I am assuming, MTG).
Yes, because of two reasons: The modding API is super easy accessible and MTG being the default game for several years. It’s just a logical step that the best content is mods for MTG.
freshreplicant wrote:
i.e. even more mods only working for one game but not another.
This already is the case. Most mods only work with MTG’s default monstrosity in place. Very little mods work without default but specifically some of the other mods that come from MTG, and little to no mods work with other games or are even game-agnostic (usually “service mods” and other mods that are self-contained).

This will not change just because MTG finally is not the default game anymore.
freshreplicant wrote:
Many people might be super gung-ho in week 1 of their game but as time goes on they might run into technical roadblocks, get bored or have something else happen that makes them move on to something else.
Haha, yes. But this is actually because of the “tech curve”. It’s super easy to get a game up and running and add game-specific mods (see my Void game for a minimal working example), but the more game features are added, the more complex it gets. A seemingly simple thing like adding a proper player avatar needs knowledge of a 3D animation program, 3D model rigging, animation logic, etc.

Or adding biomes. I recently learned about Voronoi diagrams, but due to the lack of proper tools for creating them (I know that one online generator that uses WebGL, but it is not easily possible to transfer the results in a form that can be used for registering Minetest biomes) it is pretty much trial-and-error development. And after setting up 6 biomes in one go and deciding to add a seventh biome it basically means re-doing the whole thing because otherwise the new biome is either not present or all over the place.

I had a 2 weeks vacation recently and used it to dive into Minetest game development with just having a background of Minetest mod development. I now have a few nodes, some tree schematics that are placed in some of the biomes, an inventory that fits my needs, and … that’s it. No game logic, no player model, no mobs, no ores, no decorations other than said trees, no weather effects, nothing to craft, nothing to loot, no lore, no goal, not even proper textures or sounds!

… but the game was startable just minutes after setting up the local Git repository.
freshreplicant wrote:
Their innovations then pretty much stay trapped in the amber of that half-formed game, unless somebody bothers to extract them and make them portable as a mod
This is what I’ve done. I currently have 2 mods from said game in my pipeline for releasing them outside of the game. Currently I think of my game being more like an incubator for new ideas and mods.
freshreplicant wrote:
For example, if you want to make a mod that adds mobs right now, or a mod that interacts with mobs, you have to be mindful of 3+ various mob frameworks floating around in the ether, many implementing the same things in different incompatible ways.
This is on purpose. Just browse the closed GitHub issues and PRs with the keyword mob. There once was an incomplete mobs API in the game but it was removed and was never replaced with a new/better one.
freshreplicant wrote:
More defaults/standardised ways to add specific content types should also allow players to toggle on and off specific stuff, even if they are bundled with 'default'. You don't like default sheep, the default birds are too loud or you found a cooler pickaxe in a community mod than the one bundled with MTG? Turn them on or off individually.
This is somewhat possible by mods overriding other mod’s registered items. It’s still heavily mod-dependent and there is no convenient way for players to handle this (heck, not even texture pack combining is possible without manually fiddling around with files), but it is possible to some extend.
freshreplicant wrote:
I assume most people using Minetest as an engine are using it because they want to make something related to voxel games, rather than something totally different. Else why not use Godot, Unreal or other more multi-purpose engine?
You already named Godot. It is an awesome engine having some great additions for creating voxel-based terrain and dynamically modifying it ingame. It also supports multi-colored different light sources, proper lighting instead of a weird static brightness value added to textures, and physics.

The question is – having the alternatives ins mind: Why specifically use Minetest over another engine? What are the unique features of the Minetest engine? Why should a game developer who wants to create a completely new voxel-based game use Minetest over Godot? Minetest uses Irrlicht and thus can’t even handle keyboard input properly and has no touch support (the fake touch support added to the Android version is basically touch events translated to mouse input).
freshreplicant wrote:
it's ok to recognize MT's specific niche and really showcase that potential.
Yes. Even if advertised different, Minetest is very specific. It is an engine to build games like Minetest Game or games that interact with a voxel world in a very distinguishable “Minetest-y” way.

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

Keep my base game clean!

by Blockhead » Post

freshreplicant wrote:
This small mod and official framework approach could even benefit an official MTG in ways its corporate cousin Minecraft has been struggling to do for years: if somebody makes a really stand-out weapon, ore, mob, whatever...you can add it fairly seamlessly to the official game. That stimulates the community with recognition, the feeling that they can really be a part of this community and it also keeps MTG alive. As a bonus, the core devs don't need to make content if they would rather work on the engine/frameworks, or tinker with something else behind the scenes. It always drove me mad to see Minecraft's tiny mob selection, while Minecraft mods like Mo' Creatures had dozens of studio quality additions available. It would however require a concept or set theme you're aiming for with MTG, so you know what to adopt as 'official' and what to leave out.
I fundamentally disagree here that mods should be integrated into the 'base game'. Part of what drove me away from minecrasoft was the fact that they started adding all this cruft to what was a really nice, clean base game. Stuff that should have been kept in mods. Minecraft is now totally overdeveloped with 3 or more versions of the same old texture done and redone to keep the texture artists fussing over perfection for 100 hours per texture, fantasy elements like witches and withers that belong in a fantasy themed mod, and yet a total refusal to make nice tech part of the base game, with all sorts of jank like hopper sorting systems for 'tech'. (I consider IndustrialCraft^2 and RedPower the baseline for a good tech mods btw, very similar to technic and mesecons for minetest).

You should have to mod your game if you want more than what mtg offers. Modding is extremely popular on minecrasoft - many people can hardly find a reason to play the base game. There are a plethora of custom launchers to assemble more modpacks together than you can poke a stick at. So it should be for minetest, where we start gettting really nice and cohesive - I cannot stress the importance of cohesion enough - modpacks.

We need modpacks out the wazoo. Build a tech modpack, a fantasy modpack, a computer modpack, a mobs modpack I don't know! Highlight the modpacks, make them stars! But keep the base game light, because if there's one thing I hate about minesuck java edition it's how you need a supercomputer to run it, whereas base mtg will run on my phone at a good framerate.
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂

freshreplicant
In-game: freshreplicant

Re: Keep my base game clean!

by freshreplicant » Post

Blockhead wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:35
freshreplicant wrote:
I fundamentally disagree here that mods should be integrated into the 'base game'. Part of what drove me away from minecrasoft was the fact that they started adding all this cruft to what was a really nice, clean base game. Stuff that should have been kept in mods. Minecraft is now totally overdeveloped with 3 or more versions of the same old texture done and redone to keep the texture artists fussing over perfection for 100 hours per texture, fantasy elements like witches and withers that belong in a fantasy themed mod, and yet a total refusal to make nice tech part of the base game, with all sorts of jank like hopper sorting systems for 'tech'. (I consider IndustrialCraft^2 and RedPower the baseline for a good tech mods btw, very similar to technic and mesecons for minetest).

You should have to mod your game if you want more than what mtg offers. Modding is extremely popular on minecrasoft - many people can hardly find a reason to play the base game. There are a plethora of custom launchers to assemble more modpacks together than you can poke a stick at. So it should be for minetest, where we start gettting really nice and cohesive - I cannot stress the importance of cohesion enough - modpacks.

We need modpacks out the wazoo. Build a tech modpack, a fantasy modpack, a computer modpack, a mobs modpack I don't know! Highlight the modpacks, make them stars! But keep the base game light, because if there's one thing I hate about minesuck java edition it's how you need a supercomputer to run it, whereas base mtg will run on my phone at a good framerate.
Fair point! I suppose there's been talk about removing the dependency on MTG (still not sure how this can be done without breaking 80% of mods) but maybe there's a way to have something like a clean, standardised base for MT mods and a separate showcase "MTG". Many people I've seen have highlighted the need to have something that grabs people and shows them "This is possible in Minetest". The base can be kept clean and only the best mods built on the base can be ported to the new and improved Minetest showcase game. Don't like the exact combo from the showcase? Play the base version with whatever mods you want.

afflatus
GitHub: 0-afflatus
IRC: afflatus
In-game: afflatus

by afflatus » Post

The trouble with standards is that top-down enforcement doesn't work. Standards become so because most people do things that way.
The default mod in my games has been stripped right out and defines no nodes at all. Consider that a world might not have 'rock' in it. Unlikely I know, but more likely that the designer wants to call it terrain:rock and give it completely different qualities from MTG default:stone. Even more likely that the world has different biomes and different soil types, perhaps different grades or colours of rock, so you need to specifically find greenstone in order to make tools.
It was the default trees that started me wanting to write my own game. They look nothing like apple trees for one thing, they just hang in the air when you take the bottom nodes out and don't produce more fruit after spawning. Realism be damned but believability is important, nobody likes floating legless trees. So my trees live in a mod called 'tree'. I can easily alias tree:apple_trunk to default:tree if I need to.
The important thing is that mods should be easy to remove as well as install. If you don't want my trees, you remove the 'tree' folder and nothing gets left hanging around in 'default'.
I shall push out my idea of what a modding base should look like at some point, once I've cleaned up the code a bit.
Grailtest is stirring ...

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Festus1965 - Minetest 5.3 is already released and has a stable version, 5.4dev which is currently being worked on will have it's minetest_game put into maintenance mode so that no new features will be added, only bug fixes, while the minetest engine itself will still be under development.

ThorfinnS
GitHub: ThorfinnS

by ThorfinnS » Post

Freezing it at some point is essential, and this is probably as good a place as any.

But "shipping" it without any games at all is a big mistake. If going that route, it would probably be better to have the focus on the game, and the engine is handled in the background, similar to pretty much every other game/engine setup. You buy Baldur's Gate and whether you know it or not, get the Infinity engine when you do the install.

If going this route, ContentDB needs some radical restructuring. The main page needs to be focused on games, not on mods. Ideally, once you select a game, you get to download a lightweight demo so you can see if it's your cup of tea. Go back to this page you get to start selecting customizations. Select a mob framework, and you get a second list of all mods that use this framework that the designer of the game has approved. Maybe another set of mods clearly marked as said to be compatible, but not reviewed/approved by the game designer. Same with pretty much everything else. TenPlus1's [Farming Redo] would be followed by a list of crops he thinks fit his vision of the mod. Install other crops at your risk.

I'm not sure that should be handled at the website level, either. Maybe it needs to be on the launcher menu, largely because each mod might well be "approved" in multiple games, and you have to know whether it needs to be added to the download queue, or if its already there. And,no, the "Provides" box with the sometimes cryptic names on the right hand side of ContentDB is not really helpful to end users. But launcher design is beyond the scope here.

But if the intent is to focus on the engine primarily, ideally it should "ship" with several lightweight demos of possible games. For all the grief MTG gets, it's quite the achievement it weighs in under 4 megs. Don't want to emphasize MTG, fine. But it should be really clear on the download page that you need to also download a game to go with it, and it seems to me you are right back to where you started, selecting which games to put on that page.

afflatus
GitHub: 0-afflatus
IRC: afflatus
In-game: afflatus

by afflatus » Post

Serious question: when did the game of Chess last receive any development effort?
I really want to encourage everyone to re-frame this as an MTG success story. The game is finally stable as ThorfinnS correctly says, that's quite an achievement. I think we should be talking about providing LTS for MTG.
It is absolutely right that we should now focus development effort on new games, but while MTG has a significant user base it should continue to be supported.
ContentDB is another matter. It is a major step in the right direction which needs developing further. I'd like to see a 'replaces' field in mod.conf so ContentDB can manage dependencies. Would someone be kind enough to point me to the correct place for that discussion?
Grailtest is stirring ...

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

afflatus wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 16:28
I'd like to see a 'replaces' field in mod.conf
Yeah, and a conflicts field, and a minimum/maximum version field on dependencies. Just all the normal things a package manager has.

cathaya7d4
GitHub: ferrumcccp

by cathaya7d4 » Post

Linuxdirk wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 21:17
afflatus wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 16:28
I'd like to see a 'replaces' field in mod.conf
Yeah, and a conflicts field, and a minimum/maximum version field on dependencies. Just all the normal things a package manager has.
And automatically installing dependencies!