[Game] MineClone2 [0.86]

u18398

Re: [Game] MineClone 2 [0.67.2]

by u18398 » Post

I got a bunch of request to make water_life mod compatible to MineClone2.
So far I would say 80% of water_life now works with it.
You will need to install mobkit addionally as this is the mob api water_life works with.
I do not know if this works together well. I only made short tests to see if there are no
crashes.
I do not use MineClone2, so I need feeback if this is really wanted, needed or even liked

viewtopic.php?f=9&p=380383#p380383

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

MCL2 does not use Mobkit, but has its own Mob API (basically Mobs Redo with changes), so making it work together with MCL2 is not really feasible. I don't say “impossible”, but the amount of changes that are required to make it work are simply too much.

u18398

by u18398 » Post

Wuzzy wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 18:12
MCL2 does not use Mobkit, but has its own Mob API (basically Mobs Redo with changes), so making it work together with MCL2 is not really feasible. I don't say “impossible”, but the amount of changes that are required to make it work are simply too much.
It works. I removed dependency of default in the mcl2 branch of water_life. I did not mean you considering adding it to your game :)
It is just the thing, running two entity apis together which can cause troubles maybe. But everyone can try this for himself by adding mobkit and water_life to MineClone2 game. I did this only because some people requested it. If nobody wants this I can spare my time for something else :D

thegoozfather
GitHub: barudaret
In-game: Tasso

by thegoozfather » Post

Hey hey. I've got a few quality-of-life feature requests. No rush on these, but #'s 2 and 3 will make the game feel snappier, and #1 is more of a situational thing.

1. Maybe water should annul all fall damage. Don't get me wrong, I like water as is (and I gladly embrace some mechanical differences between MCL2 and MC), but I sometimes play this game on an anarchy server, where it's kinda crucial for security reasons to build your base way high in the sky (griefers will have a hard time finding you that way). Of course, if a base is hidden way up in the sky, the player will need a way down. One could take a boat down, but if their base is 20k blocks in the air, falling to the earth in a boat will easily take 35-40 minutes. Alternatively, one could put slime blocks at the bottom, but slime blocks do not generate naturally, so slime blocks are a dead giveaway to the location of a base. Water would be perfect, since it generates naturally, but right now, MCL2 water doesn't really mitigate fall damage. Come to think of it, pearling right before hitting the surface could work. I don't know, haven't tried it yet. EDIT: I've tried it. It doesn't work. If you die and respawn before the pearl hits the ground, the chunk immediately unloads, and the pearl never hits the ground. And even if the pearl falls faster than the player, it gets stopped when it hits an unloaded chunk, so it always ends up falling slower than the player. And even still, if the pearl hits the ground before you do, it seems like pearling doesn't actually mitigate fall damage, so you still die. I may be wrong about something.

2. Pressing numbers on the keyboard while in an inventory screen should swap the contents of that number's corresponding hotbar slot and the whatever slot the mouse is currently hovering over. Anybody playing PvP or Manhunt or anything like that will be able to benefit from this.

3. Similar to right-click dragging in the inventory, there should be left-click dragging too. Left-click dragging would evenly distribute whatever items the mouse cursor is holding among the dragged slots, rather than just dropping exactly one on each dragged slot as right-click dragging does. I hope I worded that adequately.

Did I read correctly that a few pages back you said you're not accepting PRs?

thegoozfather

by thegoozfather » Post

About the water thing, it would make manhunt a much more viable game in MCL2 if there was some part of the natural terrain that could mitigate fall damage like that. Because then, somebody could use it to fall a long way, but then block it off so anyone pursuing them can't use it too. Manhunt is really tough in MCL2 right now, because there are no villages yet, nor nether fortresses, boats start fairly slowly and can be broken with only one click, etc.

kay27
GitHub: kay27

by kay27 » Post

thegoozfather wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 20:38
2. Pressing numbers on the keyboard while in an inventory screen should swap the contents of that number's corresponding hotbar slot and the whatever slot the mouse is currently hovering over. Anybody playing PvP or Manhunt or anything like that will be able to benefit from this.
Im not 100% sure but there's no the way to get the state of these keys. All we can do is described here, please take a look and I would really happy if Im wrong.

I'd like to fix an inventory error in creative mode, when you put item to some already occupied cell of player's inventory from the list it doesn't just swap the contents...

But seems all inventory issues must be addressed to minetest developers through Minetest issue tracker. Again, I'd happy if Im wrong...

kay27

by kay27 » Post

Guys sorry for bugging you but if somebody would have some time to test updated nether portals from this branch and write your opinion it would help to decide whether it's time to merge it or it still needs some fixes :) It solves various issues such as fast travelling, building large frames, creative instant teleporting, etc. It adds arbitrary shapes as well and other improvements which I can't completely list here because it's too much, from the way of handling unloaded areas up to particles behavior.
Upd. You may test them on my servers as well :)
Last edited by kay27 on Mon Sep 14, 2020 09:40, edited 1 time in total.

thegoozfather

by thegoozfather » Post

kay27 wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 07:11

Im not 100% sure but there's no the way to get the state of these keys. All we can do is described here, please take a look and I would really happy if Im wrong.
Well that's a bummer. If the engine doesn't allow it, then it is what it is. Could it be worked around by having some invisible textbox thing selected while in an inventory screen? Maybe user input could be captured with such a textbox. I don't know. Just talkin out of my hindquarters rn. If the engine doesn't allow it, then I don't want anyone to feel like I expect it.

kay27

by kay27 » Post

thegoozfather wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 08:01
Well that's a bummer. If the engine doesn't allow it, then it is what it is. Could it be worked around by having some invisible textbox thing selected while in an inventory screen? Maybe user input could be captured with such a textbox. I don't know. Just talkin out of my hindquarters rn. If the engine doesn't allow it, then I don't want anyone to feel like I expect it.
This bummer maybe just keeps possibility to play with some game controllers...
Of course many tricks are widely used but often break by platform version change, so would be nice to open the issues in minetest bugtracker to try to obtain 'honest' possibility.

cuthbertdoublebarrel
GitHub: cuthbert

by cuthbertdoublebarrel » Post

Wuzzy wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 18:12
MCL2 does not use Mobkit,so making it work together with MCL2 is not really feasible.
The problem is Wuzzy, is in the description. At the start of the thread under the section Scope it states Fully moddable , which is misleading as it suggests you can add existing mods to expand the game play to create a cursed hardcore version,or simply customize aspects of the gui and modify to ones preference .

Really great to see the wildlife is not freaking out on the water edge in this version . all the spashing sounds made the game unplayable for me as it masked out the game sounds that alerted you to monsters approaching . also the distant metalic clang when they bump into stuff .Big thanks for fixing this . I think the base gameplay is pretty solid . so its a homage to you that people want to expand on it to vary the gameplay for a more indepth and challenging experience . I have never played minecraft so can not comment on how MC2 compares .not having any reference to the original versions gameplay secrets and exploits. nor having any real experience of the more advanced aspects of the original gameplay is very frustrating .but the overrall feel of the game and attention to details makes it a real pleasure to explore now the major bug has been crushed .
Project BrutalTest...hide your Petz

cuthbertdoublebarrel
GitHub: cuthbert

by cuthbertdoublebarrel » Post

Gundul wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 04:43
But everyone can try this for himself by adding mobkit and water_life to MineClone2 game.If nobody wants this I can spare my time for something else :D
added .I like the jellyfish. keep thinking they are light sources in the deep water .
love to see a minetest base project with every mob pack featured .i am sure there is potential to exploit settings with 2 api running together . the interactions of different mob packs together is very intresting to observe .
Project BrutalTest...hide your Petz

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Alternatively, you can download Mineclone2 from ContentDB: https://content.minetest.net/packages/Wuzzy/mineclone2/
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

Nebbie

by Nebbie » Post

Water slowing needs to be in in some form, as it is a crucial aspect of Minecraft gameplay. Sure, you might not have it so a single pixel of water eliminates all fall damage, like Minecraft does, but something to where a full-health player can land in a single block of water atop the ground and survive from max falling speed would be very good mechanics-wise.

Nether portal stuff is...interesting. I suppose it can't hurt to allow Stargate-shaped portals, so long as this doesn't lead to lots of accidental portal creation when using obsidian to build.

goats

by goats » Post

Nebbie wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 23:16
Water slowing needs to be in in some form, as it is a crucial aspect of Minecraft gameplay.
Sure. 4-5 meters of water seems plenty to stop fall damage from arbitrary heights in MC. I may be wrong, but it used to seem to me that water decelerated falling players less in MCL2 than in other games. (Also, it is way opaque compared to MC.)
so long as this doesn't lead to lots of accidental portal creation when using obsidian to build.
I guess don't run around sparking flint and steel lol. I would imagine you can just replace the code with older versions anyway, unless a later MT engine change breaks the old methods.

goats

by goats » Post

Haha! That's awesome. :D

Honestly i don't care about sizes, i could resize allowed rectangles in code previously. (Like, if you aren't paying attention, build the wrong size, and have no diamonds... :D ) Probably best to keep the code less complicated. Even as proof of concept (or a setup option - just choosing which file is a dofile call internally) it's all highly amusing.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Yes, Mesehub, the website on which MCL2 is hosted, is down. This is a big problem for development right now. The bugtracker is also down. I have contacted texmex, the host of Mesehub. I have not heard back from them yet.

You can always download MCL2 from the ContentDB, however.

daret
GitHub: daretmavi
In-game: Daretmavi

by daret » Post

kay27 wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 09:15
Shapes aren't the main goal of the update, let's remove them if you don't like them :)

By the way, take a look what my kid did yesterday:
I love the shapes, and I would let them be.

They are great for kids creativity, and this is what kids really like.

Wuzzy

REPOSITORY MOVED!

by Wuzzy » Post

Hello, everyone. Someone reminded me today that I still have a long-forgotten Git repository on repo.or.cz. So I uploaded all branches on this repository today without any problems. I have updated the download and repository links in the 1st post. It was a matter of maybe 5 minutes, and it was completely my own failing at memory (and general laziness) why I did not do that immediately … :D

Anyhow, for the time being,
the NEW official MCL2 repository is located at: https://repo.or.cz/MineClone/MineClone2.git

This will be the official repository until further notice. I still have not heard back from texmex. This means, the bugtracker is still offline. Report bugs in this forum thread for now. I prefer to hear about major bugs like crashes for now.

If you had commit access on my repository before, and want it back, just send me a brief message and I see what I can do.

I hope to show up in IRC more often in the next days.

sl4v
GitHub: sl4vkek
In-game: sl4v

Bug report, I guess?

by sl4v » Post

Hey there man, I love your game!
Not sure if this is necessarily a bug but in Minecraft, chests cant open if there is a full block above them. For some reason this isn't the case in Mineclone 2. Really feels unnatural, and it might cause problems when building specific redstone contraptions that depend on that.

kay27

Re: Bug report, I guess?

by kay27 » Post

sl4v wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 15:08
chests cant open if there is a full block above them. For some reason this isn't the case in Mineclone 2. Really feels unnatural, and it might cause problems when building specific redstone contraptions that depend on that.
This chest still opens in Minecraft from some angle:
Could you please give a simple example of the contraption?
Chests can be fixed easily, probably we'd add a check here here and that's all, but it will affect anarchy-type servers where players dig their chests deeply, weigh the pros and cons
Attachments
screen189.png
screen189.png (34.27 KiB) Viewed 1068 times

Nicu
GitHub: kneekoo

by Nicu » Post

I can't say I care about some particular contraption that would depend on this behavior in Minecraft, but I think it's weird that you can open a chest when there's a full block above it. I admit it's convenient, as it allows for stacks of chests on top of each other, but it's so weird it hurts. :P

Do we really need this kind of a behavior? Would it complicate things code-wise to make this behave as it should?

kay27

by kay27 » Post

Nicu wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 19:16
Would it complicate things code-wise to make this behave as it should?
Nope, it seems to be rather simple, if you'd take a look, 3cd30a5.
But maybe we need to add the same for double-sized chests and Shulker boxes, IDK...

BTW, I couldn't talk to Wuzzy about my Nether portal updates despite tha fact that I tried more than 2 weeks :((( So I stopped the tries and removed my announcements from the topic, very sorry for that. I also tried to tell Wuzzy several times (email/IRC) that there were some additional commits in Mesehub made by me, including some rather useful fixes, and there was also a branch named 'bzoss_player' but I never hadn't got an answer. So I continue to push my fixes to GH repo for now, not as I have enough time for that... Have no idea was it the disregard or he just loaded as hell

kay27

by kay27 » Post

In case if Wuzzy will hopefully read this once, the commit log briefly remarked:

What I did in GH fork only:
10. Prevent opening double chests with solid block(s) on the top, c01c53a
9. sl4v & Nicu: Don't open chests if there is a full block above them, for 1-node normal & trapped chests, 3cd30a5
8. Fix glass bottles remained empty on take water from cauldrons, issue #1, a511152
7. Add calculation of mcl_vars.mapgen_edge_min/max in mcl_init and use them for Nether portal fast travelling, 339f7c6
6. Merge bzoss_player feature branch, 4eb42c3

The last state of Mesehub:
5. Merge updated Nether portals, issue #804, 446b0e6 | 446b0e6
4. Add moveresult variable passing to on_step() of mob entity, issues #837, 8df2aeb | 8df2aeb
3. Close minor issues with fishing rod timing and permanent_flame alias, issue #834 & issue #836, 15cb94b | 15cb94b
2. Fix item duplication by brewing stand, by disabling its falling and pushing/pulling, see issue #831, 7678bf9 | 7678bf9
1. Simplify respawn search algorithm, issue #833, fa97aca | fa97aca

Here is the official repo:
0. Use pure-API version of tt mod, b47ff2b | b47ff2b | b47ff2b
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

There are some nice goodies in these commits indeed. I decided to include everything into the official repository. Thanks indeed.

So this means the following major changes have been included:
- Travelling in the Nether leads to futher distance in the Overworld (8× as much)
- If a location in the Nether would end outside of the Overworld world boundaries, travelling further will actually go backwards (ping-pong effect). I'm still not entirely sure if this is the best solution, but it's something. Let's see how it turns out …
- New Nether portal particles
- Nether portals can be larger, and even of non-rectangular shape (max size = 23×23)
- Player head rotates with view angle (up/down)
- Other changes were described more or less clearly in previous post

Other notes:
- I reduced the size of the nether portal texture. As a convention MCL2 uses 16×16 textures.
- I also removed the “Loading terrain..." message because it was quite spammy (appeared too often).

kay27

by kay27 » Post

Wuzzy wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 15:45
I decided to include everything into the official repository.
Many thanks!!!

As Nether portal update now added to official repo, thanks Wuzzy again, there's a brief change log:
Spoiler
+ arbitrary-sized Nether portal frames, issue #586;
+ arbitrary-shaped Nether portal frames;
+ removed hard-defined inter-dimensional portal pairs;
+ destination portal search in 81x81x128 area;
+ portal frames can share obsidian blocks;
+ suitable altitude search for target portal auto generation, issue #9;
+ fast travels from issue #795 (#611);
+ the y coordinate is processing too;
+ obsidian platforms for some areas;
+ reduced default number of particles;
+ consider mcl_node_particles configuration variable;
+ particles rendering distance set to 15 nodes max. issue #809;
+ particles fly into the portal;
+ instant teleport in creative mode;
+ increased portal cooloff period for mobs;
+ Minetest protection supported;
+ mobs forced to stay alive for some time after teleporting;
+ texture and particles changed a bit (generators: tools/*portal*.py);
+ some parody of animation by pink half-transparent particles around player's head, issue #696;
+ destination cache for about 1 minute according to MC wiki (even if you break arrival portal);
+ changed work with emerged data;
+ portal node touch chatter prevention;
+ light/destroy functions don't use meta for portal shape detection;
+ compatibility with previous-version portals must be kept.

Known problems:

- you can't light crossing frames, you will light only one of them randomly (I added this ability but then removed because I couldn't find the nice way of adding the textures of the portal nodes crossings);
- mobs teleport well but then often freeze near the arrival portals because of unloaded areas, and if you follow them - there's no problem.

More detailed change logs: [ :: issue #804 ::: feature branch :: ]

Seems there are some problems in the End portals too, I started to explore...

By the way would be nice to know whether you've got any plans about the villages?
Wuzzy wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 15:45
- I also removed the “Loading terrain..." message because it was quite spammy (appeared too often).
It depends on the performance and PORTAL_SEARCH_HALF_CHUNK, usually I don't get the message. But if I play on the server where some players simultaneously create Nether portals directed to unloaded areas - then I can see 1 or 2... They were made for indication purposes. When you enter NP in MC you see, after the animation, 'the loading screen' which takes you out of the world until the Nether (or another target point) is loaded. I don't know whether it can be implemented in Minetest. I thought about it... As an example - to teleport player first to some safe place, or to open some formspec, or don't know what else... So sure the chat message was temporary, but maybe would be better to replace it by something else to inform the players that they did all right and need to stay waiting for some time to finish the teleportation...

BTW why don't you use github? erlehmann told me that there are some problems when commits from outer repos... But maybe we still can use your issue tracker? @Wuzzy
Last edited by kay27 on Sun Oct 04, 2020 09:58, edited 1 time in total.