[Abandoned] [Game] Hamlet's Quest "Valhalleluja" [3.2.2] [hamlets_quest]

goats

Re: [Game] Hamlet's Quest "Valhalleluja" [3.2.1] [hamlets_quest]

by goats » Post

Air catches fire rather wildly in some games.

Saturn

by Saturn » Post

timsoft wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 20:47
Recently heat damage was added. I get the odd behaviour that a coal block sitting on a 3x3 grid of glass blocks causes the glass blocks to catch on fire when you light the coal block. Is that supposed to happen?. the glass appears to be undamaged, but it is odd seeing flames coming off the glass.
That is weird, heat damage should only use raycasting to hurt, not set things on fire.
Does it happens even in vanilla Minetest Game?

timsoft
GitHub: timsoftgit

by timsoft » Post

no it doesn't happen on vanilla minetest. For that the coal has permenant fire on top of it when lit with the flint without burning the coal, (like hamlets quest used to) but the glass is uneffected.

timsoft

by timsoft » Post

a screenclip of the (new) odd behaviour in hamlets quest
Attachments
fireglass.jpg
fireglass.jpg (164.09 KiB) Viewed 3594 times

timsoft

by timsoft » Post

it doesn't happen every time, sometimes the block burns really fast, it took me 3 blocks before I repeated it.
this is in normal ( non creative) mode, thats why it's taken me a little while to test :-)

Saturn

by Saturn » Post

timsoft wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:38
it doesn't happen every time, sometimes the block burns really fast, it took me 3 blocks before I repeated it.
this is in normal ( non creative) mode, thats why it's taken me a little while to test :-)
Thanks for your time testing, I will investigate on its causes and try to fix it :)

Saturn

by Saturn » Post

goats wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 22:30
Air catches fire rather wildly in some games.
Air? How is that possible?

goats

by goats » Post

Saturn wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 18:34
Flames spawn in air at some radius (or whatever distance method) from nearby flammable nodes. Sometimes that means they are "on top of" a non-flammable node, sometimes they are in free air quite far from flammable nodes. (Sometimes the flammable entity is the player - if entity is a correct term for a player.) Certainly this depends on the code for any given game. Honestly i do not understand code enough to see why a thing would happen in HQ (like fire on a glass block near a permanent flame when the coal block itself is "non-flammable"), but the code in some games makes it pretty obvious what generally might happen. Sometimes you can just start a flame on any surface briefly with flint and steel. In this case, are other flammable nodes "in range", even though those below are separated by glass? Can the radiant fire damage mod spawn a flame on or near the player, or because coalblock is an amplifier? This doesn't seem to make sense to me, and i don't see an indication that radiant fire damage can start a fire, but again, not a coder. (Although you mentioned earlier that it should not.)

I'll see if i can't poke around with the latest release and replicate the effect.

Saturn

by Saturn » Post

goats wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:09
Saturn wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 18:34
Flames spawn in air at some radius (or whatever distance method) from nearby flammable nodes. Sometimes that means they are "on top of" a non-flammable node, sometimes they are in free air quite far from flammable nodes. [...]

This is strange.
I have been able to reproduce this bug, "Radiant Damage" is not related: in my tests I have disabled it and even removed it (just for being sure).

It does not happen in vanilla Minetest Game.

I have no clue on what could possibly make this happen in Hamlet's Quest. :/
Attachments
screenshot_20200916_203121.png
screenshot_20200916_203121.png (299.65 KiB) Viewed 3594 times

goats

by goats » Post

I cannot reproduce it at all. Hrm.

timsoft

by timsoft » Post

Hi, my son has just found another crashing issue. the error message is
hamlets_quest\mods\MAP\dfcaverns\df_caverns/level1.lua:167: attempt to index local 'heatmap' (a nil value)
I've looked at the lua file and can't see why it hasn't picked up the heatmap variable/array/object already defined at line 89
I've tried installing dfcaverns sperately and adding it, but I get the same problem.
any ideas?

Saturn

by Saturn » Post

timsoft wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 09:22
Hi, my son has just found another crashing issue. the error message is
hamlets_quest\mods\MAP\dfcaverns\df_caverns/level1.lua:167: attempt to index local 'heatmap' (a nil value)
I've looked at the lua file and can't see why it hasn't picked up the heatmap variable/array/object already defined at line 89
I've tried installing dfcaverns sperately and adding it, but I get the same problem.
any ideas?
It seems related to the chosen map generator: I have no errors with any mapgen, but if I try using mapgen v6 I get this (immediate crash):

ERROR[Main]: ServerError: AsyncErr: Lua: finishGenRuntime error from mod 'df_caverns' in callback environment_OnGenerated(): ...st/mods/MAP/dfcaverns/df_caverns/surface_tunnels.lua:52: attempt to index local 'humiditymap' (a nil value)

I'd say that "DF Caverns" relies on features like heat and humidity maps, which apparently are not supported by mapgen v6.

A quick check on the related thread ( Dwarf Fortress style caverns ) didn't provided any information about incompatibility with this or that map generator... so, the only suggestion I can provide so far is not to use mapgen v6.

timsoft

by timsoft » Post

It was using a v7 map, which was working fine, but he increased the speed, and it crashed when he was digging quickly. Maybe it was doing some things too fast, so some properties were in an undefined state.

timsoft

by timsoft » Post

bug report: The recipes for helmet stew, helmet roast etc made with helmet mushrooms no longer satiate.

timsoft

Re: [Abandoned] [Game] Hamlet's Quest "Valhalleluja" [3.2.1] [hamlets_quest]

by timsoft » Post

I dug down to about -900, and am getting this error regularly.
AsyncErr: ServerThread::run Lua: Runtime error from mod 'df_trees' in callback node_on_timer(): Unknown node: tnt:tnt
stack traceback:
[C]: in function 'get_content_id'
...64\bin\..\games\hamlets_quest\mods\MTG_MODS\tnt\init.lua:302: in function 'tnt_explode'
...64\bin\..\games\hamlets_quest\mods\MTG_MODS\tnt\init.lua:417: in function 'boom'
...amlets_quest\mods\MAP\dfcaverns\df_trees/tunnel_tube.lua:249: in function <...amlets_quest\mods\MAP\dfcaverns\df_trees/tunnel_tube.lua:248>

any ideas?. I've tried updating to minetest-5.4.0-f43d1cfa8-win64 to see if that helped, but it doesn't, I still get the same error.

goats

by goats » Post

Updating to a development version of the engine never helps. The problem is the unknown node. You are at a depth where df_trees is doing a thing with explosions. Why tnt:tnt from MTG isn't registered is the mystery. I would suggest looking for tnt:tnt in \hamlets_quest\mods\MTG_MODS\tnt\init.lua. In particular for tnt.register_tnt. Or check for any settings which might disable explosions / the tnt mod. (Although the other functions seem registered.)

Edit: P.S., I seem to have missed the time at which HQ had its status changed to Abandoned.
It was a long run. Thanks Hamlet / Saturn.

timsoft

by timsoft » Post

thanks for the reply. I checked the init.lua in \hamlets_quest\mods\MTG_MODS\tnt\ as suggested. the last lines in that file contain..
tnt.register_tnt({
name = "tnt:tnt",
description = "TNT",
radius = tnt_radius,
})
which seems to imply it should be there, regardless of any tnt_enable setting; but it obviously isn't, otherwise it wouldn't crash being unable to find tnt:tnt
(I do have tnt enabled in the minetest interface just in case)
The problems occured when the mobs were removed from hamlets quest so I can only assume that a tnt unregister was added at some point, but as I'm not sure how you unregister nodes, it's a bit hard to look for it.

Saturn

by Saturn » Post

This is where TNT gets unregistered, at line 43:
https://codeberg.org/Hamlet/hamlets_que ... t_game.lua

Just comment/delete these two lines

@goats you're welcome!

timsoft

by timsoft » Post

Thanks very much. That was it :-) it no longer crashes when being spat at by dungeon masters, which means that it shouldn't crash on the tunnel_tube df trees in dfcaverns either.
It would be good if it wasn't disabled by default, to avoid the crashes at depth, and for those users who want to add mobs back.

timsoft

by timsoft » Post

just a comment that you also need to comment out the unregistering of tnt:gunpowder as that is another product of digging the tunnel_tube. and shows as unknown in your inventory otherwise. (even without mobs)

Hamlet
IRC: H4mlet
In-game: Hamlet

Re: [Abandoned] [Game] Hamlet's Quest "Valhalleluja" [3.2.2] [hamlets_quest]

by Hamlet » Post

Released v3.2.2 (End Of Life)

Changed:
- Explosives re-enabled due to DFCaverns' dependency.

I didn't wanted to leave the game with major issues, that is, crashes due to TNT being disabled.
So I have made this final release, which hopefully will not have "show-stopper" bugs; just for the record, the explosives were disabled because they were not available during the Middle Ages.

Enjoy! And thanks to everyone that appreciated this game, leaving comments about how to improve it or just by reporting issues, which helped improving it.
My repositories: Codeberg.org | My ContentDB's page

timsoft

by timsoft » Post

sorry to hear it is the last version you're doing. Thanks for all the work you've put into this game. My kids and I play it quite reqularly. I got down as deep as slade, and found the only way to get though it is with tnt blocks, so I enabled tnt sticks, as well as the gunpowder (so tunnel_tubes don't generate unknown items) so that I could go fron gunpowder to tnt blocks, and slowly blast my way through. I've found two new cave biomes, one with glownodes growing from the ceiling, and glow pods and such like, and one with prehistoric vegetation, and glowstone. ("lost world" jules verne style- but without the creatures) If I try to dig the glowstone it explodes. I've googled and can't find a way to dig glowstone in minetest. Any ideas?

The only other thing I spotted in the game that is "missing", is that the food receipes for items in caverns used to satiate on v0.4.x compatible versions of the game, but don't in the current version that works on minetest 5.3.
That means, although you can make dwarven bread, various mushroom/fungi stews and cookies, and suchlike, there's no point at the moment, as it doesn't fill you up. You have to cart all your food down from the surface. There are also a few surface receipies that don't satiate, such as some of the soups, drinks, pies etc. Which mods need to be updated to add the satiation support?. If I can figure out the code difference between satiating and non-satiating food I should be able to patch it. any pointers? Even if satiation could be added in hqtweaks or some other place so that it is easier to manage with stock more_foods or whatever mod provides all the food receipes and satiation

Saturn

by Saturn » Post

Hi

Try asking on the DF Caverns' thread (viewtopic.php?t=17096) about the "unbreakable" glowstone.

Regarding the food issues, it's a bit more complicated.

The mod that manages hunger is "Hunger NG" by Linuxdirk, accordingly to his readme.md (see the following quote) you should ask to TenPlus1 and Facedeer (creators of Farming Redo and DF Caverns) to register the missing food for use with Hunger NG:
The interoperability files (short *i14n* files) are supposed to be used as fallback created within Hunger NG when a mod author can not or will not add support for Hunger NG in their mod for whatever reason.

Hunger NG is meant to be used as library/API by other mods. The i14n files should not be seen as the first solution if in is desirable that another mod in some way interacts with Hunger NG (hunger definition in food items, for example).
Basically, the matter is creating an entry list like this:

Code: Select all

local add = hunger_ng.add_hunger_data

add('farming:bread',            { satiates = 5 })
add('farming:beetroot_soup',    { satiates = 4, returns = 'farming:bowl' })
add('farming:carrot_gold',      { satiates = 8, heals = 8 })
add('farming:chili_pepper',     { satiates = 1, heals= -1 })
Note that some items also heal, or damage, or return an empty bowl.

Farming Redo's "interoperability file" is already present in Hunger NG, thus it should be updated by TenPlus1 with the new unregistered items.

DF Caverns' "interoperability file" is not yet present, thus it should be created by Facedeer.

However, you should have to update each upgraded mod; if it's only Hunger NG, then it could be easy... else it might be not that simple.

Of course you could create in hq_tweaks a file containing the list of the "new" food items, but fetching the DF Caverns' data is going to be quite time consuming; you should ask Facedeer to provide a list with the aforementioned data, since he knows where to look for it.

timsoft

by timsoft » Post

thanks for all that info, very helpfull. I'll start creating a list of all the stuff that needs to be done, and make suitable requests, and it means if I can't wait, I can manually add the hunger data for the existing worlds.

goats

by goats » Post

timsoft:
I saw your comment regarding light uderwater, etc., in dfcaverns. It's isn't the ultimate solution for exploring to say the least, but older versions of HQ had mossy cobblestone which glowed, which was kind of nice if you placed cobble in the dark underwater. It would eventually light up enough so you could at least see something.

I think it was last so in 2.5.2, in /mods/flora_fauna/mobs_goblins/nodes.lua (yeah idk) and could simply replace the default mossycobble reference in nodes.lua wherever mtg default is now, as this is the entirety of the file:

minetest.register_node(":default:mossycobble", {
description = "Mossy Cobblestone",
tiles = {"default_mossycobble.png"},
is_ground_content = false,
groups = {cracky = 3, stone = 1},
sounds = default.node_sound_stone_defaults(),
paramtype = "light",
light_source = 4,
})

I kind of missed it, it was nice, atmospheric, and not overmuch "OP" for the player to be able to use. I am guessing something from dfcaverns or subterrane was meant to replace it.

... And now i realize that i may indeed have an old version of df which doesn't have the machine-killing mapgen helper in it. (or, you know, if i knew how to pull older revisions of code from git lol).