[Mod] Mobs Redo [1.61] [mobs]

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

UPDATE:

by TenPlus1 » Post

Mobs Redo - Animals, Monsters and NPC's have a new spawn.lua check added for custom spawing of mobs, a spawn_exmaple.lua file has been added for each.

Steamed_Punk
GitHub: steamed-punk

Re: [Mod] Mobs Redo [1.53] [mobs]

by Steamed_Punk » Post

After going over what you said, i just don't know what else to try and because nobody else seems to be having this issue I can only assume that I am either not doing something or I have done something wrong.
I don't want to start a game of tennis here and distract from the main topic just because I can't figure this out. I just don't know what else to do. I know they are in there because I can spawn them in creative.
I am now creating new flat maps, with a fresh download and install of the mods from your notabug holder and still nothing to farm. I walked for a full MT week (no bed) standing still at night and didn't cross a single animal
I am sick of eating only apples and mushrooms :D :D
The sky is not the limit - It's my playground

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

I sat on map for 10 minutes and spawned 2 sheep, 1 cow and a panda... Go to a green grass area, place lots of actual grass on top of it (the stuff you get wheat seeds from) and stand up to 12 blocks away and wait, animals should spawn, failing that something is interfering... Also for food items Farming Redo adds a ton of new noms :P

Steamed_Punk

by Steamed_Punk » Post

The only mods I have active now are mobs_redo and mobs_animal, I am on a new flat map and on an open (as far as the eye can see in all directions) green grass area. Just next to me is a 2 block deep sandy pit that I filled with water and surrounded with papyrus hoping for a panda.
On the grassy area on approximately 75x75 blocks i started to add lots of grass. Retreated 12 blocks and waited a night. The next morning a sheep appeared. It cutely followed and nudged me. I did a quick 360° to see if there were any more (as I still have the mob_chance_multiplier set to 20) and the sheep had disappeared. Nothing else for another 2 days, so I made the grass area even larger. At this point I quit and came back without creative mode. Almost instantly a cow appeared. I then did another 360° and the cow disappeared. Nothing else for another 5 nights and days. I moved about 400 blocks away and started adding grass again. Nothing for another week.

Like I said only mobs_redo and mobs_animal are enabled.

Here I was about to submit this message, but for some reason decided to have a quick look at the debug. I can see where i have placed the grass etc and on a couple of the outputs i saw this, but nothing for the sheep.

2020-09-22 16:21:54: WARNING[Main]: Irrlicht: Could not open file of texture: mobs_cow_map.png

I just went further back in the debug (1 hour, same grass map) and found this as well

2020-09-22 15:35:18: WARNING[Main]: Irrlicht: Could not open file of texture: mobs_chicken_white.png

jas
IRC: Freenode

by jas » Post

Those Irrlicht warnings are not related. Did you have grass_n atop default:dirt_with_grass? Perhaps the ABMs for animal spawning only check for the latter.

Steamed_Punk

by Steamed_Punk » Post

jas wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 16:08
Those Irrlicht warnings are not related. Did you have grass_n atop default:dirt_with_grass? Perhaps the ABMs for animal spawning only check for the latter.
Hi Jas and yes I am on default dirt. On the other hand I don't know what ABM's are.

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Ignore the texture warnings, I would test on a v7 map if possible for a more accurate world (flat limits decorations), and ABM's are little timers that go off in the background for spawning mobs on certain blocks.

Steamed_Punk

by Steamed_Punk » Post

TenPlus1 wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 18:49
Ignore the texture warnings, I would test on a v7 map if possible for a more accurate world (flat limits decorations), and ABM's are little timers that go off in the background for spawning mobs on certain blocks.
Ok , new v7 map, mobs_redo and animals only. Started on an large open grassy hills, walked around for a full MT day and reached a new biome. Hung around for ten minutes and not a single animal. I am completely at a loss. I have absolutely no idea what else to try.

Looks like i can't play minetest. :(

yep a bit peeved off.

Steamed_Punk

by Steamed_Punk » Post

I have just uninstalled MT and the .minetest folder and downloaded the game and both mods. Absolutely nothing else in there. I launched a new creative v7 map with the 2 mods. I started in a massive apple tree, flat'ish zone. Walked a bit to find a patch with grass and just before the end of the day I saw a solitary cow. Night came, slept and the cow was gone. hung around a sheep appeared and then a kitten. Quit and launched without creative, both gone.
I will now give it a thorough test as a player and try to build a farm. if i can find 2 cows close enough :D

Steamed_Punk

by Steamed_Punk » Post

I have got cereals growing and pens built. I enticed a sheep towards a pen, it refused to go through the gate. I broke the gate it came in I rebuilt the gate. Saw a cow, enticed it about 70 blocks turned to align with gate, turned back and the cow was gone and so was the sheep in the other pen.
The kitten is still hanging around.

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

mobs eventually despawn unless they have been tamed.

Steamed_Punk

by Steamed_Punk » Post

Thank you for your patience, and sorry for the unnecessary scare.

I have managed to get a cow in a pen and a sheep in another, I quit and came back and they are still there....for the first time :D As you clearly stated, tame them :D It looks like things are back on track. On the other hand the de-spawn is super fast. No exaggeration here, Look away and back they are gone instantly.

Just a couple of things before I wrap this up.
1) Do you have a guide for taming the different animals, foods used?
2) Fences and gates are different in MT, damn (tamed) cow jumped out and legged it. Got him back again and built the fences up a row. Is 2 high fences the only way of keeping them locked in.
3) Neither would go through the gate into the pen, it doesn't seem wide enough when open :(

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Bunny (Carrot x 4), Chicken (Seeds x 8), Cow (Grains x 8), Kitten (Fish x 4), Panda (Bamboo x 20), Penguin (Fish x 4), Sheep (Grains, Grass x 8), Warthog (Apple, Potato x 8)

Mobs are supposed to stop near a fence or gate but sometimes due to server lag it can get over it, so mobs redo has it's own mob fence tops and mob fences you can craft as a double height protection to stop this.

Mobs have different collisionboxes, some fit in single node doors/gates some dont.

Steamed_Punk

by Steamed_Punk » Post

Thank you very much!

Nathan.S
GitHub: NathanSalapat
IRC: NathanS21
In-game: NathanS21

by Nathan.S » Post

Maybe I'm just missing something, but is there an avoid option for mobs. I know of the stay_near option. I want to add scarecrows to my game, which will make animals stay away, but I don't see an option for that already.
I record Minetest videos, Mod reviews, Modding tutorials, and Lets plays.
Check out my website, and brand new Minetest Modding Course

Ignaramico
GitHub: ignaramico

by Ignaramico » Post

Nathan.S wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 22:34
Maybe I'm just missing something, but is there an avoid option for mobs. I know of the stay_near option. I want to add scarecrows to my game, which will make animals stay away, but I don't see an option for that already.
Have you checked the mobs than run from the player?, like the bunnies/chickens/beaver?, something like making the scarecrow count as a run away from entity.

Nathan.S
GitHub: NathanSalapat
IRC: NathanS21
In-game: NathanS21

by Nathan.S » Post

I wonder if that works for nodes, I should try it out. Thanks for the suggestion.
Edit: doesn't look like that works at all.
I record Minetest videos, Mod reviews, Modding tutorials, and Lets plays.
Check out my website, and brand new Minetest Modding Course

Nordal
GitHub: Nordall

by Nordal » Post

@TenPlus1, the spawn eggs for NPC's are shown only in creative mode. As I play adventure mode I cannot spawn NPC's. Only way is to switch every time between modes. May I overlook a simpler and more comfortable way?
TenPlus1 wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 09:27
Mobs Redo - Animals, Monsters and NPC's have a new spawn.lua check added for custom spawing of mobs, a spawn_exmaple.lua file has been added for each.
Good Idea to customize the mob spawning! Thank you.
CFS - still widely unknown

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

I've seen mods that will generate houses and villages into a minetest world so will look into spawning npc's onto a specific block used in those builds to bring them into the world :)

For now npc's have a low chance of spawning onto a brick block near grass.

isaiah658

Re: [Mod] Mobs Redo [1.52] [mobs]

by isaiah658 » Post

isaiah658 wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 21:57
Is there any way to control the distance that the name tag can be seen by the player? I wish I could have it only show up either when hovering over a mob or when the player is within X amount of blocks.
Can I please get an answer to this? Yes? No?

jas
IRC: Freenode

by jas » Post

isaiah658, you could frequently poll the user's pointed thing and, if the entity is pointed, only display the nametag under this condition.

Nordal

by Nordal » Post

TenPlus1 wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 06:12
I've seen mods that will generate houses and villages into a minetest world so will look into spawning npc's onto a specific block used in those builds to bring them into the world :)

For now npc's have a low chance of spawning onto a brick block near grass.
Uuuuh. I just have to make my custom spawn def to get independent of using eggs... But how do I have to do that: Change values of the existing defs in "spawn_example.lua" or add a new file called "spawn_npc.lua" or "spawn_trader.lua" or similar? The name "example" irritates me, if it's ment analogous to "minetest.conf.example", which is really just an example. The decicive config file is "minetest.conf". It would be nice if you wrote a short explanation into readme.md.

TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Rename spawn_example.lua to spawn.lua and it will automatically use the custom spawns for that mod, animals, monsters and npc each have their own files.

Personally I find that minetest.conf is already cluttered with api settings and try not to add to the mess when a separate file can be used.

isaiah658

by isaiah658 » Post

Thank you jas! I will look into that more.

Nordal

by Nordal » Post

TenPlus1 wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 06:17
Rename spawn_example.lua to spawn.lua and it will automatically use the custom spawns for that mod, animals, monsters and npc each have their own files.
Thank you for the explanation!
Personally I find that minetest.conf is already cluttered with api settings and try not to add to the mess when a separate file can be used.
Yes, I share your opinion. I wanted to say something else, but my English is obviously not always clear. The matter has resolved itself.