Microsoft accounts required to use Minecraft in 2021

philipbenr
GitHub: philipbenr
IRC: philipbenr
In-game: robinspi

Re: Microsoft accounts required to use Minecraft in 2021

by philipbenr » Post

This kind of topic derailment is what made me leave the forum in the first place...

On a on-topic note, Microsoft requirement will realistically only push away a small amount of people. And those people likely were already turned off by the original buyout of Mojang by Microsoft.

Regardless, if Minetest really wants to capitalize off this to increase an active player-base as a game, the barrier to new players needs to be lowered. Thankfully the built-in "content shopping" is great, but the UI for the main menu still is a bit stale. I might throw some time into making some wireframes or mockups or something as to how I'd improve it, but I'll at least share what I think should be done to address this:
  • Support a limited range of main menu sizes/aspect ratios. While it may be fun to make a window of size 400x200, very limited number of people will actually need or ever want a window that small. In the few cases of modding and splitting with an IDE/browser, maybe I could see that being useful. But I still think its less of a problem and gives a much needed consistency for users trying to make custom scenes for their games.
  • Improve the wonky control profiles. Different ones could be added to mimic other games. Like I know I want to change my experience to match the FPS/shooter games as best I can, as I do prefer a similar control style between my games. Maybe not changing the default controls, but making a bundled set of preset profiles that can be selected in the controls menu? Or the ability to make your own profiles?
  • Make an easy way to access fast, fly/noclip modes. It seems weird to have Creative mode enabled when I start a world, but not be able to fly or run. And typing `/grant singleplayer all` is one of the weirdest, unintuitive ways to do so.
All that said, I still enjoy coming back to Minetest after a couple months or years and seeing the progress. It is honestly miles better than when I started college 4 years ago. I am always impressed with @paramat's new mapgen progress. I used to be disappointed with biomes, but now I honestly have never found myself wanting something more exciting or "realistic", as what is in-game is satisfying.

I personally am more of a minimalist in terms of adding new nodes, and most times end up just sticking with the default game. But seeing small QoL mods like walking lights, timber mods, occasional minimal agriculture mods are always good to see, and think the easy access to those makes its easier for those new players to really get comfortable in the game.

Maybe I'll work on some of these issues and throw up a PR, but I'm of the opinion that C++ can burn, so we will see...

Anyway, that's enough from me. TLDR: There's some good, and some bad in Minetest. The game has improved a lot. I think there are someaesthetic/game experience aspects that could easily bring some much needed polish to Minetest as fully-fledged product.

MCL
GitHub: MCLx86
IRC: migdyn
In-game: singleplayer

by MCL » Post

And they want to give capes to the mans who migrate their account.
2014-02-14 - 2024-02-14 TEN YEARS OF MCL

PolySaken
GitHub: PolySaken-I-Am
In-game: PolySaken

by PolySaken » Post

MHL wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 20:35
This is the worst part for me lol. Capes were supposed to be special.
Guidebook Lib, for in-game docs | Poly Decor, some cool blocks | Vision Lib, an all-purpose library.

MCL

by MCL » Post

PolySaken wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 21:02
MHL wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 20:35
This is the worst part for me lol. Capes were supposed to be special.
The worst part for me is that the migration is mandatory. Around 2012 you could (and you still can!) migrate your Legacy Minecraft account to the new Mojang system, but the change was voluntary, unlike this one.

Elektrika
In-game: elektrika

by Elektrika » Post

I feel that one way we can improve the gameplay experience is to drop irrilicht. It is a bit buggy and also has very little options for UIs. Another way would be a change from using c++ to using c#, as c# has more options when it comes to modding or engine creation.
eh

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

MHL wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 13:55
The worst part for me is that the migration is mandatory. Around 2012 you could (and you still can!) migrate your Legacy Minecraft account to the new Mojang system, but the change was voluntary, unlike this one.
Even worse: This will likely affect older Versions of Minecraft – namely the Java version and it’s “older versions” functionality.

You need a Microsoft account to play Minecraft alpha versions.

Good job, Mr. Nadella! This will make a lot of players suuuuper happy. Not.

If the alpha players did not leave because of Notch selling out to MICROS~1, or because of the community becoming more and more annoying they will totally leave because of this.

Devy
GitHub: DevyHeavy
In-game: devy

by Devy » Post

Wow! Microsoft really hates their players. Get a load of this: https://www.minecraft.net/en-us/article ... -minecraft

From here: https://help.minecraft.net/hc/en-us/art ... 0052618531
"Players that have been found to be in violation of our Community Standards will find the message above when they attempt to sign in to Minecraft on any platform (non-Java edition).

In this state, players will not be allowed to play on servers, join Realms, host or join multiplayer games, or use the marketplace. They will also not be allowed to access Minecraft Earth. Additionally, Xbox players will not have access to their worlds."

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

Devy wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 06:19
"Players that have been found to be in violation of our Community Standards will find the message above when they attempt to sign in to Minecraft [and] will not be allowed to [host] multiplayer games
So they can globally ban paying customers from all servers (even their own ones) and services because of the actions performed on one individual servers. That’s absolutely hilarious.

Read it again: You are not allowed to start an own server when you were banned from another server. What the fuck is this shit? Is this even legal? (Not that Microsoft would care, they have enough lawyers to enforce it anyways.)

So when someone writes “Dude, I hate you! You suck ass!” after a violent PvP fight they lost in multiple times and a snowflaky moderator gets triggered by that they lose the right to use their legally purchased software because of one single situation where they were mad at someone.

I totally know why I stopped playing this game the second it was announced that Microsoft purchased Mojang. (It was not the only reason, but it made the decision 99.9% easier.)

MCL

by MCL » Post

Devy wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 06:19
Wow! Microsoft really hates their players. Get a load of this: https://www.minecraft.net/en-us/article ... -minecraft

From here: https://help.minecraft.net/hc/en-us/art ... 0052618531
"Players that have been found to be in violation of our Community Standards will find the message above when they attempt to sign in to Minecraft on any platform (non-Java edition).

In this state, players will not be allowed to play on servers, join Realms, host or join multiplayer games, or use the marketplace. They will also not be allowed to access Minecraft Earth. Additionally, Xbox players will not have access to their worlds."
Luckily, those only apply to the Windows 10, X-Box, PS4, and Mobile versions, not the Java version, but still - they are banning people for sending messages through Realms (which is their server rental service meant for small private servers (max. 20 players!))

#EDIT:
That also means they are logging all sent messages on Realms through the non-Java clients and then storing them for an unknown amount of time.

FreeGamers
GitHub: is proprietary I use NotABug

by FreeGamers » Post

All the biggest tech companies are moving towards this sanitized model. Crush language and speech and keep it to pre-approved topics and you can market your services and products more liberally to new markets and governments (CCP). Gone are the days of Xbox Live where people could swear in CoD and Halo and tease each other in lobby and everyone's dad "worked for Microsoft" and knew your mom. It was a lot of fun and had charm to it in my opinion. But kids need to learn to respect authority or they will be silenced and removed from society if they say a naughty word or have dissenting opinions from those promoted by popular culture (media).(/s).

Pretty lame, but if that's how they want to run their services, it's just another reason to not use it. Control of people online is just par for the course these days with big tech companies. It shouldn't be news to anyone. This will be the last post I'm making with this account by the way, I'm moving to a new account called "MeseCraft".
FreeGamers.org has moved to MeseCraft.net | FreeGamers on this forum is now MeseCraft

Chrysolite Azalea
GitHub: ChrysoliteAzalea

by Chrysolite Azalea » Post

philipbenr wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 09:40
[*] Make an easy way to access fast, fly/noclip modes. It seems weird to have Creative mode enabled when I start a world, but not be able to fly or run. And typing `/grant singleplayer all` is one of the weirdest, unintuitive ways to do so.
You can change default_privs in the settings.
cdb_JQUaRqvA1Vho

philipbenr
GitHub: philipbenr
IRC: philipbenr
In-game: robinspi

by philipbenr » Post

Chrysolite Azalea wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:55
philipbenr wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 09:40
[*] Make an easy way to access fast, fly/noclip modes. It seems weird to have Creative mode enabled when I start a world, but not be able to fly or run. And typing `/grant singleplayer all` is one of the weirdest, unintuitive ways to do so.
You can change default_privs in the settings.
I know that, but considering you have to edit a .conf file, or dig through all the settings, which again, most people just joining Minetest are going to have no clue about, I'd still say its an unintuitive way. Plus, I think it would be smart to have a way to do so in a world-by world basis. So when you're creating a world, you can just check which permissions you want to have. For some worlds I want to be survival, no "cheats". But some I want to be creative and do want those tools.

There are some more simply use cases that are missing or broken here, and they are an important part of new user experience.

Chrysolite Azalea
GitHub: ChrysoliteAzalea

by Chrysolite Azalea » Post

For some worlds I want to be survival, no "cheats".
AFAIK, the privs privilege (which allows cheats) is irrevokable in singleplayer. So there is no "no-cheats" mode like in Minecraft at all.
cdb_JQUaRqvA1Vho

Mantar

by Mantar » Post

It's a single player mode, though. If you don't want to cheat, just don't?
Lead dev of Exile, git repo: https://codeberg.org/Mantar/Exile

MCL

by MCL » Post

It is very easy to play Minecraft without their account if you have the game files. You can just start it from the command line instead of using their launcher.

MCL

by MCL » Post

WHY DO I NEED TO MIGRATE MY ACCOUNT TO A MICROSOFT ACCOUNT?

By increasing account security and adding new safety features to Minecraft, we can better protect you and your account.
What if I don't want my account to be "better protected"?