Post your sfinv mods here

u34

Post your sfinv mods here

by u34 » Post

I think sfinv is included in minetest why should somebody need any other GUI?
Have you any other mods here old and new one which function in minetest.

ok, this thread should be a list of mods for sfinv.
please post when you use or know something about this topic.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=26054

more mods so far:

infos from ShadMOrdre
Spoiler
Prestigibags
Backpack
Minestats
Awards
Clothing
3d_armor
Fabulous
sfinv_buttons
smart_sfinv
doc
mtg_craftguide (from the latest MTG.)
infos from rubenwardy
Spoiler
Last edited by u34 on Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:02, edited 5 times in total.

u34

Re: Post your sfinv mods here

by u34 » Post

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=24155

added mod personal_log (save/delete position, teleport to coordinates, import/export) sfinv and sfinv_buttons available, import/export to book.

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

See "required by" and "used by" on this page: https://content.minetest.net/metapackages/sfinv/
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

u34

by u34 » Post

Attachments
bags.png
bags.png (4.79 KiB) Viewed 1377 times
Last edited by u34 on Tue Jan 26, 2021 09:08, edited 2 times in total.

cuthbertdoublebarrel
GitHub: cuthbert

by cuthbertdoublebarrel » Post

cHyper wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 14:11
because its the worst in show ,very old fashioned looking ,also lacks compatabilty with additional addons.
unified inventory is far better in design and functionality, even though it not bieng updated its still outshines sfinv by miles .
Project BrutalTest...hide your Petz

duane
GitHub: duane-r

by duane » Post

cuthbertdoublebarrel wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:08
cHyper wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 14:11
because its the worst in show ,very old fashioned looking ,also lacks compatabilty with additional addons.
unified inventory is far better in design and functionality, even though it not bieng updated its still outshines sfinv by miles .
Unified inventory has more features, but in no way beats sfinv at being an inventory. Also, sfinv goes out of the way to allow add-ons. How could you miss that?

And there's a reason why people still use "old-fashioned" interfaces -- they work, without a lot of cotton-candy nonsense that doesn't actually contribute -- nonsense that generally just hides the functional bits.

Most of today's artist/designers remind me of pop-music. Their work might last a few years at best. Real art lasts for centuries.
Believe in people and you don't need to believe anything else.

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

sfinv is very much designed to have you install add-ons to it. Unified Inventory is bloated, slow, and ugly. It's better to have less design/simple design than to design wrong

Hello profile reader

jp
Banned
GitHub: kilbith

by jp » Post

duane wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 22:08
sfinv at being an inventory.
sfinv is not an inventory or an "old-fashioned" interface. It's simply an API. The inventory you are referring about is creative actually.

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Creative registers a few pages, but that's it - the crafting page is part of sfinv along with the default theme and the inventory setting.

Sfinv supports theming such that tabs aren't necessary, but that's not really ever been used. I added containers to the engine because I wanted to implement a sfinv theme for larger screens where a craft guide could be shown next to the inventory, but I never got around to this

Hello profile reader

ShadMOrdre

by ShadMOrdre » Post

Mods supporting sfinv, just to name a few that I've found. Look them up. Use them. Smart_sfinv alone is worth it. The rest just fill out the "game".

Prestigibags
Backpack
Minestats
Awards
Clothing
3d_armor
Fabulous
sfinv_buttons
smart_sfinv
doc
mtg_craftguide (from the latest MTG.)

Adding support in your mod, or for a mod that otherwise does not yet support sfinv, is really as easy as registering a formspec, and using the API functions.

In my GAL project, sfinv is included within the gal namespace, gal.sfinv. I found it very easy to modify all the above mods for inclusion in the GAL project, redirecting them to point to gal.sfinv.

The sf in sfinv stands for Super Fast. This is true. The simple, "old", interface can easily be modified, I do believe, just by providing a different background image, in addition to customizing the basic formspec, as an example.

Not to mention, being written by a core dev, it is currently, and will continue to be maintained, where as InvPlus and UnifiedInv are not necessarily.

Shad

cuthbertdoublebarrel

rubenwardy wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 22:52
It's better to have less design/simple design than to design wrong
then stop messing with the eyecandy of the MT GUI
add the functionality to auto update content ,or did you design it wrong ?

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Sun Jan 24, 2021 08:31
Yet again, this is an incredibly dumb take. And offtopic. Minetest 5.4 already has multiple new features to the content manager, including dependency resolving and update all. Auto updating won't be added because the user may only be in the main menu for a few seconds

Hello profile reader

cuthbertdoublebarrel

duane wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 22:08
Unified inventory has more features, but in no way beats sfinv at being an inventory.
yes it does as the download rankings proves that sfinv is a less popular choice than other inventories .
now if sfinv is the best as you say why is there no bundle/package which includes all the compatible addons to showcase its full potential ?

cuthbertdoublebarrel

rubenwardy wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:59
Sun Jan 24, 2021 08:31
Yet again, this is an incredibly dumb take.
exactly what i thought when you failed to even bother to add a filter to show what needed updating .

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

sfinv is included in Minetest Game, and so the standalone package obviously won't have as many downloads

Have you heard of iterative development? It's where you don't do everything at once, because that would be impossible to review, but instead do things incrementally

Hello profile reader

cuthbertdoublebarrel

rubenwardy wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:49
sfinv is included in Minetest Game, and so the standalone package obviously won't have as many downloads
its a mod not "package" . you were using the term package for a bundle of mods.
no one likes minetest game according to the regulars and it will no longer be included with the minetest engine so sfinv will no longer be included either .

ShadMOrdre

by ShadMOrdre » Post

cuthbertdoublebarrel,

What's with the attitude? Just because your opinion is not shared by others does not give you any excuse to be rude.

If you don't like sfinv, why are you posting in this thread? Is your life so pathetic that you have NOTHING better to do?

Don't bother to reply, I don't give a rats a$$.

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

A package is anything that is installable from ContentDB. It can be a single mod, modpack, game, or texture pack.

By "the standalone package", I was referring to https://content.minetest.net/packages/rubenwardy/sfinv/

Minetest Game is still the most used game, despite being disliked, because it has the largest mod support

Hello profile reader

cuthbertdoublebarrel

rubenwardy wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:46
A package is anything that is installable from ContentDB. It can be a single mod, modpack, game, or texture pack.

By "the standalone package", I was referring to https://content.minetest.net/packages/rubenwardy/sfinv/

Minetest Game is still the most used game, despite being disliked, because it has the largest mod support
yes i am well aware you call everything a package , but you are going to go with a "mod pack" to define a bundle of mods.
so sfinv and its addons would make a good starter mod pack.
the point bieng is if we add links to the db content here they can only be installed manually which sets newbies down the wrong route.
I think spotlighting what we can bundle together as the op has done is a great start in working towards those modpacks to help the newbie get started

cuthbertdoublebarrel

ShadMOrdre wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:41
If you don't like sfinv, why are you posting in this thread? Is your life so pathetic that you have NOTHING better to do?
yet ShadMOrdre really had nothing better to do than make a personal attack on a person who responded to the ops question
"why should somebody need any other GUI?"

philipbenr
GitHub: philipbenr
IRC: philipbenr
In-game: robinspi

by philipbenr » Post

ShadMOrdre was calling out you being overly aggressive/defensive. Which you definitely were being towards rubenwardy.

And ShadMOrdre also responded to the OP's question if you scroll up far enough, so you can't even give him flak for that.

ShadMOrdre

by ShadMOrdre » Post

So challenge the question of the OP, instead of attacking the author of the mod in question.

Provide empirical evidence. Post mods supporting UnifiedInv. Show some other means of communicating your opinions, than simple, "It's better!". Those two words don't really express much.

Some of us prefer the unencumbered simplicity of an easy to use, simple but elegant interface.

After all, this Intel i5 with nVidia 1030 running Win10 takes magnitudes longer to generate a chunk than my Lubuntu based Intel J2900 Pentium with builtin graphics controller. A Linux based PC that is 5 years older than the Win10 based PC is faster without the bloat. An i5 slowed to a crawl simply due to Win10.

So, answer the question of the OP, with evidence. Don't attack core devs, or anyone else for that matter, without expecting to be called out about it.

Shad

cuthbertdoublebarrel

ShadMOrdre wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 03:39
Some of us prefer the unencumbered simplicity of an easy to use, simple but elegant interface.
how many is some of "us" then shad . ? just you and a couple of others ?.please provide some figures to back up who prefers it out of choice .
After all, this Intel i5 with nVidia 1030 running Win10 takes magnitudes longer to generate a chunk than my Lubuntu based Intel J2900 Pentium with builtin graphics controller. A Linux based PC that is 5 years older than the Win10 based PC is faster without the bloat. An i5 slowed to a crawl simply due to Win10.
Shad
But those are just your systems shad how do we know you have them optimized correctly ?.
Other communties via the engine, survey the userbase to find out what systems are in use and what is the mostly widely used . then automatIcally set the optimization within the engine settings for those systems accordingly to get the best results.

u34

by u34 » Post

LibraSubtilis wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 14:24
Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:05
ShadMOrdre wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 03:39
how many is some of "us" then shad . ? just you and a couple of others ?.please provide some figures to back up who prefers it out of choice .
Shad
But those are just your systems shad how do we know you have them optimized correctly ?.
Other communties via the engine, survey the userbase to find out what systems are in use and what is the mostly widely used . then automatIcally set the optimization within the engine settings for those systems accordingly to get the best results.
This thread is not about statistics. There are alternatives to sfinv, install them, be happy and respect that other people like sfinv.
this thread should be for guys who wanna use sfinv that thould be in this thread.