I'm gonna disappear for a while

PolySaken
GitHub: PolySaken-I-Am
In-game: PolySaken

I'm gonna disappear for a while

by PolySaken » Post

Minetest is getting pointless for me with how limited it is and how static the development seems.
I'd rather deal with the pre-existing world and lore and just make minecraft mods, because while a modding API is better than making mods in the core language IMO, the usefulness of an API is limited by how often it's updated.

I'm gonna keep an eye on the minetest community, and I'll come back if any big changes happen, but I don't plan to update my mods any time soon and I'm throwing away all my current unreleased work because if I do come back I want it to be with completely new content.

It's pretty unlikely, but if anyone wants to take over maintaining one of my existing projects, just ask in this thread.
Guidebook Lib, for in-game docs | Poly Decor, some cool blocks | Vision Lib, an all-purpose library.

philipbenr
GitHub: philipbenr
IRC: philipbenr
In-game: robinspi

Re: I'm gonna disappear for a while

by philipbenr » Post

Understandable. Enjoy whatever you're going to move to!

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Post

Have fun in your Minecraft worlds! I hope you can enjoy it as much you're looking forward to it.

If you'd like to keep your mods maintained by minetest-mods, you may post a repo transfer request. I don't think they will be developed actively, but at least user contributions (bug fixes or feature PRs) will be reviewed and integrated to keep the mod alive.
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

runs

by runs » Post

PolySaken wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 00:14
Minetest is getting pointless for me with how limited it is and how static the development seems.
I'd rather deal with the pre-existing world and lore and just make minecraft mods, because while a modding API is better than making mods in the core language IMO, the usefulness of an API is limited by how often it's updated.

I'm gonna keep an eye on the minetest community, and I'll come back if any big changes happen, but I don't plan to update my mods any time soon and I'm throwing away all my current unreleased work because if I do come back I want it to be with completely new content.

It's pretty unlikely, but if anyone wants to take over maintaining one of my existing projects, just ask in this thread.
Are you kidding? Minecraft modding is painful. Updating is a difficult task because with each new version you have to change your mod. As soon as the creator cannot update it, this mod is useless. And so it happens with most of the mods. So much so that most Minecraft mods are "lost" or only work with certain specific versions.

There are not as many Minecraft mods as you might think, and those that there are are novelties. Not to mention the limitation of multiplayer mods. Players have to know a lot before they install mods.

Also no API, no support, nothing, LOL. Mods are made on the engine, decrypted.

I had a minecraft server and it was cool, but with some mods it was slow and not flexible. It was fucking shit, hell, you couldn't update it, mods gave thousands of bugs, etc. etc. etc.

You can argue that Minecraft is better as a base game, but with mods it is definitely NOT. Minetest is modding heaven, easy, simple and a lot of mods that Minecraft can never dream of having.

The development of Minetest has gained momentum, the right steps are being taken. It is slow, yes, but also people don't help the developers, they pass everything by. They only criticize, which is good to some extent, but they don't give encouragement or constructive criticism.

Zughy
GitHub: belongs_to_microsoft
In-game: Zughy

by Zughy » Post

PolySaken wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 00:14
how static the development seems
This is not true, and coming from the one who complained a lot it should mean something. A few days ago, issues went from 979 to 910 in a couple days. MT Element community started to vibe recently, people like ruben are more than obliging, issues and PRs are moving fast due to the feature freeze and a roadmap is coming starting from 5.5.0-dev

cuthbertdoublebarrel
GitHub: cuthbert

by cuthbertdoublebarrel » Post

runs wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 09:12
There are not as many Minecraft mods as you might think, and those that there are are novelties. Not to mention the limitation of multiplayer mods. Players have to know a lot before they install mods.
CurseForge alone, features over 55,000 mods as of February 2020.
And no they are not all novelties . i think you just pinched them ones for your game ;-) .
How minecraft has evolved due to mods is very impressive take a look at RLcraft for instance https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eabaikf591s
players do not need to know a lot before they install mods because
the 120 mods for RL are all ready pre packed .
do you think minetest is capable of producing that style of gameplay?
Project BrutalTest...hide your Petz

runs

by runs » Post

cuthbertdoublebarrel wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:35
runs wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 09:12
CurseForge alone, features over 55,000 mods as of February 2020.
And no they are not all novelties . i think you just pinched them ones for your game ;-) .
How minecraft has evolved due to mods is very impressive take a look at RLcraft for instance https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eabaikf591s
players do not need to know a lot before they install mods because
the 120 mods for RL are all ready pre packed .
do you think minetest is capable of producing that style of gameplay?
The most popular one (7 M of downloads):

https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/modpacks/rlcraft

A sponsored mod. The creators advertise their servers and t-shirts LOL. Version of Minecraft for the mod = 1.12 (Minecraft last one is 1.16). Look at the installation instructions => third party software (CURSEFORGE LAUNCHER) and advanced installation. I don't know how it will go, but I'm sure it will be slow and with thousands of incompatibilities. Servers and clients should synchronize exactly their mods and configuration. In fact it has a section talking about it. And being a megamod, forget about using other mods.

NO COMPARATION WITH MINETEST:
- Price = 0$.
- The engine supports native mods. Install & Play.
- No advertisements.
- No third party closed source installers with more advertisements.
- More compatibility between versions.
- Install mods on one click.

PolySaken

by PolySaken » Post

Wow, of all the things this would turn into I didn't expect the focus to be yet another "Minecraft vs. Minetest" thread.
My main reason for picking minecraft over other sandbox projects like vintage story etc. is that minecraft gets more new content in a month from the community than minetest will get in a year, because millions of people play minecraft. It's the single best-selling game ever.
Guidebook Lib, for in-game docs | Poly Decor, some cool blocks | Vision Lib, an all-purpose library.

PolySaken

by PolySaken » Post

Krock wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 07:37
Have fun in your Minecraft worlds! I hope you can enjoy it as much you're looking forward to it.

If you'd like to keep your mods maintained by minetest-mods, you may post a repo transfer request. I don't think they will be developed actively, but at least user contributions (bug fixes or feature PRs) will be reviewed and integrated to keep the mod alive.
Ehh, I can't really be bothered doing that, I'd rather just hand off the repo to anyone who's interested.

philipbenr
GitHub: philipbenr
IRC: philipbenr
In-game: robinspi

by philipbenr » Post

PolySaken wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 22:08
Wow, of all the things this would turn into I didn't expect the focus to be yet another "Minecraft vs. Minetest" thread.
My main reason for picking minecraft over other sandbox projects like vintage story etc. is that minecraft gets more new content in a month from the community than minetest will get in a year, because millions of people play minecraft. It's the single best-selling game ever.
You mentioned the unholy word "Minecraft" on the Minetest forums. Its a bit like saying "Satan" around a fundamentalist Christian... People are bound to get mad about it :P

(truth be told, I'd probably switch to Minecraft too if I had a computer that could do path traced lighting and other fun things. It looks like a lot of fun. But Minetest holds a soft spot in my heart for being what got me really interested in coding, even if I left it fairly quickly.)

I'll at least tell you its a good reason. There is a lot more polish, a lot more community, a lot more of a lot of things that will make life easier. GLHF